Thai Execution

kurgen

Sorry, but where is the victims rights addressed here? Didn't they have a right to life? Didn't they have a right to breathe and enjoy life. How can you stoop so low as to say these criminals are being denied their rights?

The only problem I see in the Thai execution method is that the criminal doesn't get to see his executioner and I don't think the families of their victims get the opportunity to enjoy the show.

I shed no tears for these sub-humans and only wish that in my country we increase the rate of carrying out the sentence.

Wow, are you serious? Would you really enjoy watching another human being die? I can understand victim's families having a sense of relief or closure but to "enjoy the show"?

Personally I am against the death penalty simply because of the risk of executing the wrong person. I think that danger outweighs all the alleged "benefits" of society murdering its citizens.

Wow, are you serious? Would you really enjoy watching another human being die? I can understand victim's families having a sense of relief or closure but to "enjoy the show"?

Personally I am against the death penalty simply because of the risk of executing the wrong person. I think that danger outweighs all the alleged "benefits" of society murdering its citizens.

Normally No, In the past NO, In this instance Yes, a big Yes. Will I allow my nephews and nieces to enjoy the show, NO, will I attend YES, gladly.

There is no question as to the guilt, there is no question as to mitigating circumstances, this low life SOB was happy & proud of his killing. He was especially proud of the torment he put my brother - in-law through and the only regret was in his not quite killing my sister. And No, this was just a random killing with absolutely nothing tieing the victim and the criminal.

No I will enjoy this show......

Looks like they aimming at his arse.

Did you know that this particular photo was taken on April 1st 1985.

The guard in the middle had played a joke on the shooter and turned the victim around, so instead of shooting him in the left side (heart) he shot him in right side and the poor bugger was still kicking hours later.

Many years ago the Bangkok Post had a 2 page story on a retiring executioner. I think it was in Outlook. The procedure/ritual was very complex leading up to a shooting execution as it was in those days.

The idea of the screen between the executioner and the condemned man was to fulfill the Buddhist belief in not killing. In theory the executioner is only shooting a screen and not the person behind the screen.

I believe Gary Gilmore was the last firing squad execution in the US . As I understand it, they sit him down in a chair facing in the direction of the shooters and attach a target over his heart. 4 shooters fire simultaneously but one has a blank in his rifle. None of the shooters knows whether it was their weapon with the blank. Just another look into the psychology of execution

Agree with the comment earlier that the executioner didn't pull the trigger. I thought he just made sure the gun was aimed right. The trigger was pulled by a string attached to a weight device.

I've got a copy of the BBC documentary on Bang Kwang and the relevant Thai minister at the time gives his view of why the method changed from shooting to lethal injection. They wern't happy that prisoners quite often didn't go to the event willingly - a lot of screaming and struggling. Also, the bullet/bullets tended to mess the body up a bit which wasn't good for relatives or the prison guards who had to clean up afterwards.

The overall impression of The Minister's comments was that lethal injection made it easier for the prison authorities and didn't hurt their religious sensibilities so much.

From what I recall of the Bangkok Post article mentioned earlier, the interviewed executioner was a farmer and would receive notification of an execution a few days prior. He said he would spend time as a monk and perform a long religious ritual prior to each execution.

He stated he would also meet with prisoners on death row and had become friends with many of them. He stated he never knew who he executed until after the event when he would sign the documents to say he had carried out the execution.

In the days leading up to the execution a machinegun would be placed on sandbags and aimed to a point where the prisoner’s heart would be located. Once aimed, the gun would be strapped in place.

On the morning of execution he prayed and was careful that he didn’t step on ants or kill life on the way to his job. On arrival in the execution room, the condemned man would already be placed in position and the screen drawn between the prisoner and the machinegun. He would fire the gun and leave.

One of his biggest regrets was breaking a promise he had made to one of the condemned men. I think the prisoner had been involved in one of the coup attempts. At the time I believe there were a number of executioners and the prisoner had asked this executioner not to be the one who executed him. This executioner made the promise and only found out after the event he had actually executed this man.

I seem to recall he received the amount of 3,000 Baht for each execution.

I would rather wake up every morning and know that somebody who had wronged me was in a little cage eating coakroach infested food and maybe getting no sex for the rest of their life than let them have a drug induced pain free sleep.

Maybe im cruel.

Having accepted the fact that I will one day die, as will all other living things, I am therefore no longer concerned with 'how' anyone dies. It is irrelevant.

Killing another human won't bring back the dead or change the past. All it does is satisfy the hateful egos of some of the living.

If someone whom I love is killed by another human, I will certainly not want the killer to be killed, tortured or made to suffer in any way. This will achieve nothing for my life or the now dead victim. On the other hand, these 'killers' might not have killed, had they been exposed to a little more human compassion.

The death penalty is nothing more than a murderous act of revenge, purely undertaken to satisfy the egos of the living. It achieves nothing except shoring up the already uncomfortable level of hatred in this world.

When there is less fear, there is more love...and visa versa.

Maybe another 200 years of evolution and people will start appreciating human life and refrain from senseless violence.

As long as killing people is acceptable for a variety of reasons, would-be murderers don't think they are doing something extraordinary, too.

There's a thread in News Clippings about a murdered MP - in Thailand killing business/political rivals is a usual way of solving business/political problems. Think Kamnan Poh. It's not any better in neighboring countries, too.

Just a few days ago a Chechen was sentenced to life in prison for Beslan school hostage taking - even Russia moves towards civilisation.

I've always wondered how they did it :D

http://www.richard.clark32.btinternet.co.uk/bangkwan.jpg

another story from an executioner with photo :o which can be found at:

http://www.farangonline.com/p_Room_101_The...origin=Arrivals

Room 101:The Executioner Gets Fired

December 2003

........."The hardest part of being on the execution team at Bang Kwang prison in Bangkok was having to walk into the death-row cell and tell the prisoner that he was about to be executed, said Chaowares Jarabun. Whatever crime the person had committed, “They were still heroes to their families,” he added.

“The inmates had time to write a letter to their family, have a last cigarette, and a meal. But they usually didn’t feel like eating,” he said. “They were also given the chance to see a Buddhist monk.”

Blindfolded, and with chains around their ankles, the inmates were led into the death chamber by two guards. His hands were tied together so he could clutch three unopened lotus blossoms, a like number of joss-sticks, and a small orange candle, just like a Thai person going to pray at a Buddhist temple".........

I have to confess to sitting on the fence on this one.Which is the more cruel;a swift despatch to the hereafter or rotting in a cell for years?Yes,two wrongs do not make a right,but what if two rights do not make a right?

I've always wondered how they did it :D

http://www.richard.clark32.btinternet.co.uk/bangkwan.jpg

another story from an executioner with photo :o which can be found at:

http://www.farangonline.com/p_Room_101_The...origin=Arrivals

Room 101:The Executioner Gets Fired

December 2003

........."The hardest part of being on the execution team at Bang Kwang prison in Bangkok was having to walk into the death-row cell and tell the prisoner that he was about to be executed, said Chaowares Jarabun. Whatever crime the person had committed, “They were still heroes to their families,” he added.

“The inmates had time to write a letter to their family, have a last cigarette, and a meal. But they usually didn’t feel like eating,” he said. “They were also given the chance to see a Buddhist monk.”

Blindfolded, and with chains around their ankles, the inmates were led into the death chamber by two guards. His hands were tied together so he could clutch three unopened lotus blossoms, a like number of joss-sticks, and a small orange candle, just like a Thai person going to pray at a Buddhist temple".........

It's totally understandable why this man continued to be a part of the 'killing machine', as he obviously deplores the act(s) of what he did. He will no doubt live with this knowledge forever.

It is a different matter for those who would purportedly 'enjoy' the 'moral' killing of another human because of personal feelings. I wonder if these 'law abiding' people would feel the same way if they 'themselves', had to kill the 'convicted' killer? My guess is that they would say that they would enjoy such a task because the 'killer' killed one of their loved ones. It will be a totally different matter when they are actually facing the accused & are about to kill the accused.

The defenders of the death penalty generally hide behind the protective veil of the 'law'. When it comes to killing another human, they will quote that they are not murderers & therefore can't do such a thing...but they endorse the 'death penalty' as long as they don't have to do the task of killing another human. It makes them 'feel good' (ego).

As Ned Kelly once said; "Such is life", but he forgot to add "& death".

I have to confess to sitting on the fence on this one.Which is the more cruel;a swift despatch to the hereafter or rotting in a cell for years?Yes,two wrongs do not make a right,but what if two rights do not make a right?

There is a video of the guy who shot a bunch of innocent people from a tower many years ago in Texas.

He goes on about how great the drugs in prison are, how he can get all the gay sex that he wants and how much fun he is having.

Do you think that he is paying for what he did? :o

i see some agree and disagree with execution for varying reasons,

for myself there is but one solution if you have wronged to the level of cold bloodied murder then you deserve to die with no sympathy as the murderer has shown to its victim.

also in many countries including thailand a high percentage of murderers do not serve a complete life sentence, and are back free in society at some time.

can you afford to let any one of these offenders offend again as i have read in some cases.

if you are prepared to kill be prepared to die.

Edited by opothai

Having accepted the fact that I will one day die, as will all other living things, I am therefore no longer concerned with 'how' anyone dies. It is irrelevant.

Killing another human won't bring back the dead or change the past. All it does is satisfy the hateful egos of some of the living.

If someone whom I love is killed by another human, I will certainly not want the killer to be killed, tortured or made to suffer in any way. This will achieve nothing for my life or the now dead victim. On the other hand, these 'killers' might not have killed, had they been exposed to a little more human compassion.

The death penalty is nothing more than a murderous act of revenge, purely undertaken to satisfy the egos of the living. It achieves nothing except shoring up the already uncomfortable level of hatred in this world.

Perhaps if YOU were the one who decides who lives or dies for committing certain crimes, YOU would have a different point of view. Can YOU 'summarily' kill another human because a 'law' said that they were guilty? Do you have 100% confidence that the 'law' is always correct? Like most humans, if you were 'pulling the trigger' or 'pushing the button', you would end up questioning the 'it's ok to kill a killer' belief? The ultimate question is, are you a killer? Try being in the military & spending some time aiming at 'human' shaped targets on the rifle range. I spent a mere 5 years in the military & it taught me a very good lesson...'it makes no sense whatsoever, to kill another human because of political or local law'.

i see some agree and disagree with execution for varying reasons,

for myself there is but one solution if you have wronged to the level of cold bloodied murder then you deserve to die with no sympathy as the murderer has shown to its victim.

also in many countries including thailand a high percentage of murderers do not serve a complete life sentence, and are back free in society at some time.

can you afford to let any one of these offenders offend again as i have read in some cases.

if you are prepared to kill be prepared to die.

With regard to this comment, "if you are prepared to kill be prepared to die", if YOU are the one who decides to 'kill' (react emotionally & without the use of the 'law'), then this will be solely upon your conscience/head. On the other hand, if you support this 'killing' as a point of 'law' (death penalty), I would suggest that YOU are hiding behind the 'law' & perhaps you like to class yourself as a humane (non-murdering) person.

There is a video of the guy who shot a bunch of innocent people from a tower many years ago in Texas.

He goes on about how great the drugs in prison are, how he can get all the gay sex that he wants and how much fun he is having.

Actually, the guy who shot the people from the Univ of Texas tower back in '67 (?) was killed by police during the shooting spree

Has nobody got anything more profound and intelligent to say on this subject than lame jokes? The rate of execution in Thailand is one of the highest in the world - often after a speedy (unfair?) trial and disproportionally administered to the poor and powerless?

How does this fit in with the Buddhist precept of not taking the life of living beings!

Is there any kind of capital punishment abolishionist pressure group in Thailand?

Life isn't fair criminals die. :o:D:D

Actually, the guy who shot the people from the Univ of Texas tower back in '67 (?) was killed by police during the shooting spree

Yes, you are right.

I confused Charles Whitman - the tower sniper - with Richard Speck who killed a bunch of nurses.

This is how Speck did his time in prison:

Back From the Dead

On May 1996, Bill Curtis, news anchor at CBS in Chicago, received a videotape. The video, shot in Statesville Correctional Institute, showed a bizarre, boastful Speck with women’s breasts–obviously from some hormone treatment–wearing blue silk panties and having sex with an inmate. Before the sexual exploit, he casually tells an off camera interviewer about the murders.

When asked why he killed the women he said, "It just wasn’t their night." He was asked how he felt about the killings, "Like I always feel. Had no feelings." He added he did not feel sorry. Throughout the video, he ingested and smoked drugs with bravado. At one point he said, "If they only knew how much fun I was having, they’d turn me loose." He described in detail how it felt to strangle someone "...it’s not like TV.... It takes over three minutes and you have to have a lot of strength."

John Schmale, the brother of one of the murdered nurses, said, "It was a very painful experience watching him tell about how he killed my sister...."

Even after death Richard Speck proved he was born to raise hel_l.

My argument against the death penalty isn't for the 999 out ouf 1000 who are guilty. It is for the 1 in a 1000 person who was wrongly convicited for a crime he didn't commit. Recent DNA testing has set many death row inmates free, because it proved that they were not the killers. I wonder how many other innocent people died, because the testing wasn't available, or wasn't used. I am sure it is more than one.

The blood of the innocent who were falsely convicted are on the state's hands. It's happened before, it will happen again. Leave vengence to the supreme being in your life. She knows better than you.

Are you suggesting that there should be no punishment for taking someone elses life? I hope that you would agree that there has to be some form of deterrent and the arguement here is the extent of that deterrent. It has been seen in the UK recently how a large number of convicted criminals, some murderers, have been released in to society to simply kill again. To incarcerate someone for the rest of their natural lives must entail some form of suffering, even if only mental, so what is your answer? Whose rights prevail? The killer or the victim?

Its not shooting anymore, its been lethal injection for a few years now.

Only about 1 year as I recollect it.

Better than the public beheading I witnessed in Saudi a few years back!!

My comments are in Blue.

Are you suggesting that there should be no punishment for taking someone elses life? Yes, I am. I hope that you would agree that there has to be some form of deterrent and the arguement here is the extent of that deterrent. There appear to be many 'deterents' currently in place, but have they worked? Does not 'murder' (& other similar acts) still exist? It has been seen in the UK recently how a large number of convicted criminals, some murderers, have been released in to society to simply kill again. This proves that the 'deterents' do not work. To incarcerate someone for the rest of their natural lives must entail some form of suffering, even if only mental, so what is your answer? Whose rights prevail? The killer or the victim?

I believe that if WE (humans) stop looking to a 'law' to solve OUR problems & START to look within ourselves, WE may then see that WE are all the same. The demonstration of any act of violence toward another human is generally seen as a 'bad' thing. So why is the violent act of the death penalty any different? Is not the death penalty, violence toward another human? Do not most people believe that any form of violence is abhorrent? A certain hipocracy/dilema now becomes apparent.

Forgiveness costs nothing. The 'past' is unchangeable...the future is unpredictable. A death penalty acknowledges none of these things that WE so often claim to be true.

Purely hipocritical & inhumane.

Edited by elkangorito

I believe that if WE (humans) stop looking to a 'law' to solve OUR problems & START to look within ourselves, WE may then see that WE are all the same. The demonstration of any act of violence toward another human is generally seen as a 'bad' thing. So why is the violent act of the death penalty any different? Is not the death penalty, violence toward another human? Do not most people believe that any form of violence is abhorrent? A certain hipocracy/dilema now becomes apparent.

Forgiveness costs nothing. The 'past' is unchangeable...the future is unpredictable. A death penalty acknowledges none of these things that WE so often claim to be true.

Purely hipocritical & inhumane.

Next time someone robs you and is stomping your head in, call a hippy!

Groooovy man! :o

:D

Hindus think that death penalty is necessary for murderer's own karma. He'd suffer a lot more after death if not properly punished. Death penalty erases his bad karma for murder. Sounds reasonable if it really works. Of course this explanation will never be accepted in a western civilisation.

Still, the problem of killing innocents remains. 1 in a 1000 is not too much for us but a lot to his family.