Border Run Cambodia-official Fee?

While I stayed in Thailand, I used to do my monthly Border-Runs from Pattaya with an agency (Trip & Fees included.) All fine and good.

But next time I will be staying in Aranjaphratet, therefore will not need Trip & Agency. Question now: How much is actually the Fee that has to be paid to the "officials" only?

I just know (among others) lopburi3 will know!

Actually I don't know as have never done it but you have the cost of the visa for Cambodia and believe they try to get a "not spend the day" fee for returning and then they have (or had) a SARS paper fee and anything else they can dream up. So will not be free even doing it yourself.

Crossy is correct , the official fee is USD 20.-, however since years you could pay only with THB 1000.-,no change given.

On top of this they(agents,tugs ,officials or whoever) are trying to add any kind of surcharge for VIP,speedy,penalty etc .

If you not familiar you may end up paying easily THB 400-800-addl.

Having read the above, it might be a good idea to wait for the "Agency-Bus" from Pattaya in Aranjaphratet, hop on it, let the "Agent" do the paperwork (since he has already made "arrangements" with the officials and other assorted "thugs" previously for a fixed price).

That way the whole thing sould be fairly "calculable" and not get too much out of hand.

As far as I know most , if not all Pattaya Operators , go nowadays to Ban Laem.

From BKK there are still two companies going to Aran.

You can contact them , ad's in BKKPost(East meet west and Jack's early morning bus,during the week).

But next time I will be staying in Aranjaphratet, therefore will not need Trip & Agency. Question now: How much is actually the Fee that has to be paid to the "officials" only?

The "official" fee is $20 US, the sign conveniently hidden at PoiPet and a small one displayed at Ban Laem.

However everyone pays 1000B (about 25$ US) - and the imm. officer will you usually try to hawk you for tip money or other fake fees if you're by yourself (just say no thanks to the tip and say you're staying for a few weeks if they try the "no long time stay fee"). Best to go with one of the visa run groups if you're just doing a border run day trip and don't want the hassle.

I've seen a few guys plop down a $20 US note , kick up a fuss and get away with it.

Must be a nice little earner for the immigration officers , $5 per farang , a few hundred farangs per day.

As far as I know most , if not all Pattaya Operators , go nowadays to Ban Laem.

From BKK there are still two companies going to Aran.

You can contact them , ad's in BKKPost(East meet west and Jack's early morning bus,during the week).

Jack's early morning bus does go to Baen Laem.

The webside does not specify the days when he goes where.
That's because the Website say "Daily Cambodia Tour Scheules[sic] and Details" meaning it's an everyday schedule, i.e. seven days a week. Again, maybe it needs to be updated, but the site at least implys everyday.
Take a look @ the BKK Post.
Do you have a link for an online ad? I don't have a paper handy.

I did the run to Ban Laem on my own last month and am going again in a couple of days.

On the last trip, I paid 1,000 baht for the visa itself. In the "Arrival/Departure" office, I paid an additional 100 baht for the stamps.

Total fees = 1,100 baht.

Never had anyone try and hit me up for additional fees of any kind other than what I mentioned above.

I also arrived at the crossing just before noon. No other people around. It took a total of 15 minutes from the time I arrived at Ban Laem, until I was finished and ready to return to Pattaya.

Hope it's the same this Sunday !

• 1 month later...

Accorording to the Cambodia Tourism Ministry the rates are as follows:

There are two types of visa available for international travellers:

Tourist visa: US$20

Business visa: US$25

The visa fee is waived for Cambodian nationals living abroad and holders of Malaysian passports. Children under the age of 14 require a visa however no fee is charged. Note that at the Thai border crossings the visa fee is 1000 Thai Baht.

So charging 1000THB is in line with the policy, the extra money sounds like a scam. Report it to the Ministry the address being infoATmot.gov.kh. It pisses me off when the first impression if Cambodia is corruption.