Scottish islands beat Thailand and others for worlds top 5 islands...

roamer

"Lewis and Harris has been named as the best island in Europe by an international travel site.

It also beat rivals in Thailand, Chile and Madagascar to be included in the top five islands in the world.

Scotland featured several times on the list with Orkney and Isle of Mull also named in the European top 10.

TripAdvisor compiled the list based on opinions of travellers who had visited the islands."

Whilst I think it's a bit like comparing apples & oranges I can see where they are coming from, some magical places there.

And I speak as an Englishman smile.png

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not surprised the least. By the way, there is plenty of ladyboys in Scotland too! You know: men wearing skirts... tongue.png

If I could perhaps suggest that, if visiting Scotland, you refrain from public utterances of your last comment as your holiday may then take a very bad turn.

• Like 1

Well i can't wait to get me a plate of sheepbelly filled with heart, liver, kidney, loung. Also the weather seems to be very tropical there (like in the wet season).

They way they speak english is a bit like in Thenglish and the seawater must be quite warm as well i guess.

Sure i believe they are great but to be the best of the world is hard to believe mate.whistling.gif

Yes, should have separate categories for tropical beach islands compared to rugged windswept ones far from the equator.

Mmmmm, yeah, I take your point, but isn't that a bit like most "awards" these days; "Best song sung by a female black lesbian dwarf" will be the next Emmy category. Surely there is an ultimate best island, all things considered. A matter of taste of course.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, should have separate categories for tropical beach islands compared to rugged windswept ones far from the equator.

Mmmmm, yeah, I take your point, but isn't that a bit like most "awards" these days; "Best song sung by a female black lesbian dwarf" will be the next Emmy category. Surely there is an ultimate best island, all things considered. A matter of taste of course.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If I could perhaps suggest that, if visiting Scotland, you refrain from public utterances of your last comment as your holiday may then take a very bad turn.

They can't handle the truth? They have a right to wear dresses and we have a right to laugh at them for their gay clothing choices.

clap2.gif alt=clap2.gif width=31 height=25>

If kilts are gay, then so are sarongs, sulus, lavalavas and numerous other wraps. I would LOVE to see you call a lavalava clad Samoan gay to his face.

• Like 1

Lewis and Harris named as Europe's top island by TripAdvisor

_73083529_callanish.jpg

Lewis and Harris has been named as the best island in Europe by an international travel site. It also beat rivals in Thailand, Chile and Madagascar to be included in the top five islands in the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-26247865

• Like 1

Some website decides its the top island, so therefore it is?

Well you have fun soaking up the cold winds and sun rays.

cheesy.gif

To be fair, the Hebrides are used to promote Thai beach resorts more often than vice versa

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/320913-scottish-island-used-to-promote-thai-beach/&sa=U&ei=kpkFU6XENqmI2wWtsoCQCg&ved=0CAwQFjAD&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNEcnMS4aO87UseLg87KaZbELuDqBw

SC

I would love to see the checklist they use to determine what the best island is.

Or where they did their survey/who they surveyed to conclude the outcome. I have been on most of the western isles, Orkney, Shetland, etc, and yes they can be special, but the best in the world?

Well, who would want to swim in Phi Phi, when they could swim in pish!

Have a look at the waters surrounding them. Probably less "Pish" and crap there than around these shores. Plus you won't be disturbed by drunk, drugged up, unconcious ar*eholes raving it up on the beaches. I know not all year,(or by Jetski scams for that matter.Peace and tranquility and beauty that's why it's ranked so highly but maybe I'm being biased.

• Like 1

Never mind the unctuous Tripadvisor.

Best island in the world? What's yours?. I like Ko Lanta, The Arran Islands, Ireland,, Salt Spring Island Vancouver,

But my favourite Hot (in summer), freezing otherwise, windswept, fabulous sunsets, fish and crustaceans,

plenty of seals, puffins and manx shearwaters, acres of dead pilgrims is Enlli.

Know where it is?smile.png

They can't handle the truth? They have a right to wear dresses and we have a right to laugh at them for their gay clothing choices.

clap2.gif

As you've gone off topic. Yes I forgot about all the nangies I saw in Guildford High Street. Dancing away to sh*te music wearing white clothing, trousers tucked inside their long socks, bowler hats, and with bells tied to their arms and legs and very camp footwear. Now that is Gay clothing.Try to make themselves look manly by strapping a pewter tankard onto their clothing as if to say 'yes I'm a big beer drinker' - Soft Southern Shandy Drinking &lt;deleted&gt;'s. Truth or not or can you not handle it?

clap2.gif

As you've gone off topic. Yes I forgot about all the nangies I saw in Guildford High Street. Dancing away to sh*te music wearing white clothing, trousers tucked inside their long socks, bowler hats, and with bells tied to their arms and legs and very camp footwear. Now that is Gay clothing.Try to make themselves look manly by strapping a pewter tankard onto their clothing as if to say 'yes I'm a big beer drinker' - Soft Southern Shandy Drinking &lt;deleted&gt;'s. Truth or not or can you not handle it?

Reminiscing your school yard days are we?