Email programs - what do you use and recommend ?

CharlieH

I am looking for an alternate email program, looking for suggestions and ideas please ?

Have been using Gmail but not too happy with cloud based programs anymore, too many threats from hackers and not really happy with all the info etc in someone else's storage.

Yahoo are well known for being hacked so that puts them out too.

Incredimail has had problems in the past so not interested in all there gimmicks bells and whistles.

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations please ?

You're asking for a program or a service? Most ISPs provide at least one account, and if you have a website the host usually provides multiple accounts as well. If you are looking for a program to retrieve mail, thunderbird is probably the best and most popular free one available.

Sent from my A500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile ap

• Like 1

I also have been using Thunderbird for a long time and is perfect for me, assuming you are referring to client software. However beware that feature updates are now frozen and only security and stability updates will be maintained by the TB group. That's ok with me as the current features are fine and will be for a long time.

• Like 1

I use thunderbird and so do all of my staff. Free, fast, reliable.

Had too many issues with outlook locking up before, hate having to support it.

As for provider I run my own mail server but also use some accounts through google apps/gmail.

If you are scared of security with web based services you will be fighting a losing battle Im Afraid.

Even using thunderbird your accounts will be available online - they need to be for you to use them.

Gmail and yahoo etc have outstanding security but are very high profile targets.

Most hacks are by finding passwords on single accounts, avoid with complex often changing pass and 2 step authentication.

Smaller providers wont attract the same quality of hackers but dont employ as high security either. Data still in someone elses systems.

DIY for full control but make sure to keep your knowledge and practises up to date! Most cant do this and if you ask this question I guess you lack the knowledge.

And post Snowden it seems nothing is safe since data is stolen in transport before it hits any providers. SSL helps but not 100%.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I've been using Office Outlook for yrs (now 2013) and never lost any emails with Google POP mail or IMAP services (prefer POP myself as my connections can be slow), Emails on hard drive the date back to 1998 before Gmail. Syncs all the phone contacts and calenders as well. It's not free but I have never paid for it. Windows Live Mail is a free stripped down version that does similar.

Edited by Digitalbanana

I've been using Office Outlook for yrs (now 2013) and never lost any emails with Google POP mail or IMAP services (prefer POP myself as my connections can be slow), Emails on hard drive the date back to 1998 before Gmail. Syncs all the phone contacts and calenders as well. It's not free but I have never paid for it. Windows Live Mail is a free stripped down version that does similar.

Ditto for me...I've been using Office Outlook for years and years (work and home) to serve as my client email program for connection with Gmail.com, Live.com, etc. And I've still got emails a lot older than 1998 in my Outlook pst files/archives.

I used to use Outlook and it was fine but after ditching my ISP before moving to LOS last September I spent months moving to my Gmail account which I have had for some years now. As far as I am concerned it's easy, it's portable and I'm no longer longer locked into an ISP for an email account. I know Outlook supports Gmail to but I don't need the overhead of a client on my PC.

If you have an Android device I'm with Blue Mail, just started using it for a week now & its great! Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook etc. all in one. Add all your emails @ the one place.

Gmail has the biggest storage.

+ you need google to login to alot of web's online.

Outlook mail I would rate 2nd.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trtf.blue

Edited by LindsayBKK

There's good and bad with virtually ALL the free email providers...

Maybe better for you to think along these lines -

Choose one only for private (family, friends) email. Choose another for general use. Choose a third for crap (unimportant) stuff.

Lastly, choose a fourth for the more "risky" stuff.

I use 5 providers - and the only one I would be sorry if got hacked, would be the "family & friends" one - and even then it's no big deal, as I keep a copy of my mail addresses in another place. Should any big problems occur - then it takes 5 minutes to choose another provider and then to inform the important ones.

My gal got her email hacked a coupla years back - she had a hell of a time reconstructing her address book - no copy any place!

A good thread which has prompted me to at least find a backup solution for my current total reliance on Gmail, Google contacts and calendar. If I lost them I'd be in trouble. It's one thing to rely on syncs but if the bad data or empty database is sync'd to your mobile or whatever you're still in deep doodoo. Luckily Google recently released upgrades to enable those of us reliant on them to export our data for an alternative solution so I intend to do exactly that on a reasonably regular basis and find a solution should I ever need to use a different app for mail, contacts and calender. Hopefully something simple, compatible with Android and PC and with a small footprint. Anyone got any ideas?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by avander

On Android I use K9 Mail, on my Linux machine(s) I went all way from kmail to a Thunderbird test installation, now I use Claws Mail and I am very happy with the integration of PGP, superb Spam filtering by SpamAssasin, and speed. Oh yes, I don't write HTML-Mails with this fancy letter background and multi-colored fonts etc.

• Like 1

Op... actually I have no idea what you are on about with regards to Gmail. I have been using it for years and have never had an issue with either hacking or their 'cloud' services. Every email provider has had issues in the past. Some more than others (Yahoo and certainly AOL), but if you want an alternative email account try hotmail perhaps.

tominbkk, on 22 Feb 2014 - 12:00, said:tominbkk, on 22 Feb 2014 - 12:00, said:

Well my Mac mail program works well to archive all my mail.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Seriously, did you not read that the Op tried Incredimail, which is a windows email client, unless he is running a virtual windows machine then one assumes he has a windows PC, so why on earth did you mention Mac?

Edited by Rorri

LindsayBKK, on 23 Feb 2014 - 02:05, said:

If you have an Android device I'm with Blue Mail, just started using it for a week now & its great! Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook etc. all in one. Add all your emails @ the one place.

Gmail has the biggest storage.

+ you need google to login to alot of web's online.

Outlook mail I would rate 2nd.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trtf.blue

You're another one that didn't read that the Op had tried Incredimail, a windows base email client, so why did you even mention Android... duh

avander, on 23 Feb 2014 - 14:24, said:avander, on 23 Feb 2014 - 14:24, said:

A good thread which has prompted me to at least find a backup solution for my current total reliance on Gmail, Google contacts and calendar. If I lost them I'd be in trouble. It's one thing to rely on syncs but if the bad data or empty database is sync'd to your mobile or whatever you're still in deep doodoo. Luckily Google recently released upgrades to enable those of us reliant on them to export our data for an alternative solution so I intend to do exactly that on a reasonably regular basis and find a solution should I ever need to use a different app for mail, contacts and calender. Hopefully something simple, compatible with Android and PC and with a small footprint. Anyone got any ideas?

Try eM client on your PC...then it's simple to backup your mail. "File""Backup""Yes"... backup done. Well, after a minute or more, depending on how many emails are to be backed up.

Edited by Rorri
  • Like 1

iamariva1957, on 23 Feb 2014 - 15:37, said:

Op... actually I have no idea what you are on about with regards to Gmail. I have been using it for years and have never had an issue with either hacking or their 'cloud' services. Every email provider has had issues in the past. Some more than others (Yahoo and certainly AOL), but if you want an alternative email account try hotmail perhaps.

Hotmail is now Outlook.

I'm not really sure what the OP is asking for - a new mail provider or a new client (a program that can fetch, send and view email from any provider).

I'd like to know what the specific concerns are with Gmail. I've been using it for a long time because of the seamless integration with all of their other cloud services. And now that Google Drive puts a folder in your local file system, you don't even need to open a browser any more (unless you want the web view of a document). It's as close to a single sign-on environment as you can get. If you're worried about security, use a strong password, turn on your Google Account Activity Report and enable two-step verification.

not really happy with all the info etc in someone else's storage.

Unless you own your own email servers, your information will always be on somebody else's storage. If you can be more clear about exactly what your concerns are, we can offer more helpful advice.

Edited by attrayant

I guessed the op was concerned about security of leaving his email on services like Gmail and Yahoo! I would be too. I have lost tons of emails off of Yahoo servers and would never rely on them. With Gmail I haven't needed to cehck if the mail is on the server or not as I always download it all to my hard disk with Office Outlook using POP. Easy to search that way as well esp when internet access is not available.

When syncing to gmail, like with a new device, of course that device does not have any of your gmail info. One might think it might cause your cloud based gmail info (call that the master database of info/email/contacts/etc) to be deleted but that's not the way it happens. I takes a "delete" command to delete any particular info on your gmail cloud based info....a delete command like you deleting a contact or email in one of your devices...then that info is deleted in the cloud and when syncing occurs it deletes it from all your devices.