More children and 'innocents' being killed in attacks down South

Lite Beer

More children and 'innocents' being killed in attacks down South
The Sunday Nation

YALA: -- 6-year-old injured in latest Yala attack; report shows 62 children have been killed in the region since 2004

More and more innocent civilians, especially children, are being affected by the ongoing unrest in the South. In the latest gun attack in Yala's Kabang district yesterday, three villagers were shot down and a six-year-old boy injured by a stray bullet.

After the 10.10am attack at a latex-purchasing outlet in tambon Kabang was reported, police found the bodies of Thipwadi Thongsongkaew, 21; Ekkapong Saenroj, 32; and Doungduan Rombua, 35; along with spent bullets.

A young boy also sustained injuries to his head as a stray bullet scraped his scalp.

Initial investigation showed that three men on motorbikes came to the shop pretending to be customers before opening fire at the people inside. Police believe a group of insurgents led by Hamdan Musordi, which is active in Kabang and Songkhla's Saba Yoi district, might be responsible for this attack.

Five minutes later in Raman district, another gun attack was reported in which assistant village headman Asae Katae, 41,was shot down in a rubber plantation in tambon Keror. Police are trying to find the motive for this attack.

The case in Kabang district serves as yet another reminder about how the young are being affected by the rise in violence. Issara News Agency reported that over December and January, there have been nine incidents in which five children were killed and three injured.

The first half of this month saw three brothers aged 11, nine and six shot dead in Narathiwat's Bacho district, while a drive-by shooting in Mae Lan in Pattani on February 13 killed four people including a nine-year-old boy and his mum. The boy's 11-year-old sister was also injured.

In Narathiwat, most of the slain brothers' schoolmates have shown symptoms of post-traumatic stress, prompting a team of psychologists from the Mental Health Department to visit the school and provide initial treatment for the affected youngsters.

In move to identify the impact this violence is having on young people, the Cross Cultural Foundation along with justice advocacy group Hak Asasi Pree Kemanasiaan Patani, the Hearty Support Group and other allies have produced a report entitled "Situation of the Children and Women in the Far South 2013".

According to the report, 62 children have been killed and 374 injured from 2004 to October 31, 2013, from violent incidents in the South.

It also claimed that many children faced additional risks as they lived near areas where state officers - the insurgents' main targets - were based.

Other than the direct impact of being injured, maimed or orphaned by the death of their parents, young people in the South can also be affected indirectly by stress, depression or can start believing that violence is acceptable.

Hence, the report offered four measures:

l Strictly controlling the possession of weapons in order to prevent the use of guns in public areas;

l Encouraging people to participate in community surveillance so attacks can be intercepted quickly;

l Getting state officials to conduct more precise and careful operations to prevent an impact on people; and

l Stopping women and children from being encouraged to pick up weapons.

The report called on all sides to:

l Launch attacks away from innocent and unarmed civilians so the battle follows international standards and respects human rights;

l Protect the innocent or use peaceful means to resolve problems;

l Ensure the fighting does not affect the women and children;

l Not invite women and children to use weapons to resolve problems or for self-protection.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-23

This Thai south insurgency and terrorism and police state calls for UN human rights folks to step in and investigate and open a dialogue. The Thais are incapable and not willing to solve the problem of killings and unrest.

Oh please. The UN. Right. It is doing a fantastic job in Syria and the Ukraine right now isn't it? How is the UN HRC going to open a dialogue when it is dominated by countries who refuse to do or say anything constructive about the jihadists in Nigeria, Somalia and Sudan? The southern insurgents of Thailand are receiving some funding from foreign sources and the countries which are home to those funders refuse to intervene.

The current civil disorder in Thailand has diverted resources away from the insurgency. And in case you have forgotten, the deep south are supporters of Suthep. They are not supporting Suthep because they want reform or even like the man. Instead, they have latched on to his machine because it's a convenient way of harming Thailand. Their enemy's enemy is their friend .......... for now.

• Like 2

This Thai south insurgency and terrorism and police state calls for UN human rights folks to step in and investigate and open a dialogue. The Thais are incapable and not willing to solve the problem of killings and unrest.

Oh please. The UN. Right. It is doing a fantastic job in Syria and the Ukraine right now isn't it? How is the UN HRC going to open a dialogue when it is dominated by countries who refuse to do or say anything constructive about the jihadists in Nigeria, Somalia and Sudan? The southern insurgents of Thailand are receiving some funding from foreign sources and the countries which are home to those funders refuse to intervene.

The current civil disorder in Thailand has diverted resources away from the insurgency. And in case you have forgotten, the deep south are supporters of Suthep. They are not supporting Suthep because they want reform or even like the man. Instead, they have latched on to his machine because it's a convenient way of harming Thailand. Their enemy's enemy is their friend .......... for now.

Sutheps fault is it ??? Thaksin didn't help did he---he once said --if you do not vote for me you people will get no benefits from my government-- Did you forget this GK ??? no wonder they voted the other way every time.

Sutheps fault is it ??? Thaksin didn't help did he---he once said --if you do not vote for me you people will get no benefits from my government-- Did you forget this GK ??? no wonder they voted the other way every time.

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I have not said it was Suthep's fault. What part of convenient allies do you not understand? If the politics were reversed, we'd see the same scenario. The civil disorder is to the insurgents' perceived best interests.

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I have not said it was Suthep's fault. What part of convenient allies do you not understand? If the politics were reversed, we'd see the same scenario. The civil disorder is to the insurgents' perceived best interests.

Looking from both sides of the fence, Why mention Suthep ???? it is general knowledge it's not a stronghold of the Shins, and I did mention only 1 obvious reason why. Your reading and response to the point I made a non starter---is it because of your pro government stance ??? I did only point this out for your comment.

You see I agree with your comments on the U.N. in troubled parts, but part disagree on blaming the disturbances for lack of funding---maybe like the rice payments---short of funds also, or is it their lack of will to respond too much. Does Thaksins speech I mentioned have any bearing on funds supplied ??

I would assume that the Mods would not remove/edit posts if criticism were qualified by 'Islamic Extremists', not by inference all Muslims. There have been observations that some, not all, of the violence is carried out by those who have now orientated to Islamic extremist ideology in the deep South, this trend has been evolving over many years and uptake is apparently relatively new.

Some aspects of Thai law is in fact quite PC orientated & those publishing and or hosting content in breach of the laws can possibly receive jail sentences; this is documented in the Thai Constitution, Criminal Code & reflected in some of the forum rules.

Edited by simple1