The Cheap Charlie experience.

alanrchase

At least reading through this thread gives a few laughs!

Caught out in the rain one day I went into Cheap Charlies restaurant on Soi Lenke, Pattaya. I had always avoided it as the name

suggested that any customers would be seen as Cheap Charlies. I asked for a meal containg pork and was told "Sorry, we don't sell pork". I didn't realise that it is a muslem restaurant, and it was far from cheap.

Never again.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Recently I had a meal with some English friends, paid the total bill and I left a tip. I was scolded for doing so because when they returned again they would be expected to leave a tip. This is not part of the English and German culture.

who claims we don't tip in Germany???

Thais use it amongst each other mainly, it's the equivalent of "tight arse".

They use it more often than Westerners would though, as the concept of saving money doesn't exist in Thailand and a lot of Thais just don't get why one would have money but choose not to spend it.

If I may correct you, Thai sex workers use it usually when talking to or about customers.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ahh, the memories. Vietnam and Saigon tea (in Thailand, lady drinks). On topic as it shows the historical background of the phrase. The Aussie vets may recognize this one. smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Great video, enjoyed the viewing.

Thanks for the share.

I am as tight as a fishes arse....and proud of it.

If I only have a 20baht note, no change, I ask the beggars for change..

joyuse

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

lol.....a proper beggar wouldn't have change.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My staff would call anyone especially men who didn't tip them CC.

In other countries where the waiters are actually taxed on what the government thinks the waiters / waitresses should receive in tips per month, I can understand the certain need to tip each time.

But that isn't the case in Thailand, tax on tips isn't an issue here,

it's all under the table, pocket money.

However in my eye the tip is to be based on the service,

and in most cases the service here is as basic as it can possible be,

aside from having to chase the lady down to take an order or bring anything extra to the table.

So I find it unacceptable they should consider themselves as worthy of my money.

I too work in Thailand, and everyday is a work day for my family and I.

We never get a tip for our work, so why should others expect something from us?

We do all that we can in our line of work to see that our customers/clients are satisfied with our service.

We have to travel to our clientele, and be ready for them on a moments notice.

Our reward is their continued business, plan & simple.

Now a days there's a service charge in most places we dine at,

so there's no need to consider a tip, yet the staff often provide small change,

when it's not necessary to do so, but they are still in hopes of an easy score.

Because at the end of the day, that's exactly what it is... an easy score,

to draw peoples money out of their pocket and into the locals pocket.

What used to get under my skin was when some body would be sitting near the cashier station,

and see someone pick up all their change from the bill... they would have to try to make themselves look better,

by jumping into someones business, about leaving a small tip for the staff.

After a while it came to be clear it was the owners of the place,

in most cases, and they needed the customers to leave a tip to help them compensate the staff for the owners low wages paid.

I find this totally unacceptable.

The staff should not have to rely on customers to pay them for working.

That's the owners responsibility, yes?

I used to wonder why the bars couldn't or wouldn't pay each girl a base salary?

After all without the girls at the bar, the bar wouldn't have customers, yes?

It was explained to me, that the girls get 30bht of every drink their customers buy,

and 100 bht of the bar fine.

It still seems like the bars would have better girls applying if they could count on a base salary, yes?

After all the bars are charging upwards of 80bht for a beer that only cost 30bht at the store,

so giving the girls 30bht a beer seems fare, yes?

But only if they have a customer.

It's makes the bar experience uncomfortable for the customers who just want to sit, relax and enjoy a their drinks,

when someone is almost forcing them to order more, or even worse, is forcing themselves into the customers space.

The point here is...in most of the cases I came across, the owners were the ones cheating their staff,

and in return the staff were trying to make up the shortcomings, from the customers.

So Cc is all in the eyes of the owners first & foremost,

and they in turn sell the concept to the staff,

so they will work the guilt onto the customers.

This is why most people expect a tip for any work they do,

in Thailand.

We see the tip cups everywhere,

in hopes of getting our lose change.

Walking into Black Canyon the other day,

I stood at the counter, order a smoothie,

and waited for it to be served,

paid the bill,

and again was given smaller changed than necessary.

Then one of the waitresses standing there, chatting away the whole time I waited,

to the lady making the smoothie, says to me, TIP?

This is a drink to go, and I've stood here waiting for it, there was no service involved,

other the the process of making it.

She says, yes TIP for making it.

Just shook my head in disbelief,

that people should expect to be TIPPED for doing their job.

Black Canyon certainly pays their staff a base salary, yes?

Everyone should have the right to spend their hard earned money how they see fit,

tipping people should never be a requirement IMO.

Thais use it amongst each other mainly, it's the equivalent of "tight arse".

They use it more often than Westerners would though, as the concept of saving money doesn't exist in Thailand and a lot of Thais just don't get why one would have money but choose not to spend it.

If I may correct you, Thai sex workers use it usually when talking to or about customers.

Actually people also speak Thai in the 99.99% of Thailand outside of red light districts. My brother in law used it to describe his boss just yesterday.

Its just another way to get us to spend up or rip us off - they all think, (or hope), we are rich (some tourists mess it up for the local falangs by Spending up big, (and foolishly), even though they are not well of in their home country - if we were so rich we might go to even nicer, (and more expensive), countries than Thailand.

I was sitting in a roadside restaurant last week, when a Russian man aged about 30 sat down at the next table. When the boy came over to take his order, he ordered just rice. It was delivered and then he covered it with ketchup. The owner came over and told him that he could not order just rice, if he did, he would have to pay 20baht. He pointed to the menu where it said 10 baht. Only with food she said. So he left without eating the rice.

I am not sure if this counts as CC, but I thought it was pretty sad.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

SIR

May i ask how u knew he was russian?????

A Cheap Charly is a "balloon chaser".

He drives arround and when he spots a bar with a lot of balloons he knows there is free food and probably a few rings of the bell.

Even if he normaly never goes to that bar (because he only buys beer in a smal shop around 32bht)that night he will be the first to

start loading food on his plate ,and even ask for a doggy bag .(i'm not joking!)

If possible he will leave on a busy moment without paying his first and only beer bill.

And the birthday- lady will not get 10 bht from him ,since he is allergic to tips .coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I was sitting in a roadside restaurant last week, when a Russian man aged about 30 sat down at the next table. When the boy came over to take his order, he ordered just rice. It was delivered and then he covered it with ketchup. The owner came over and told him that he could not order just rice, if he did, he would have to pay 20baht. He pointed to the menu where it said 10 baht. Only with food she said. So he left without eating the rice.

I am not sure if this counts as CC, but I thought it was pretty sad.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

SIR

May i ask how u knew he was russian?????

Yep, could be a cheap charly english guy who speaks russian !Or not ?coffee1.gif Next dumb question?

If you're not a "cheap charlie" by your natural instincts *and* you even tip... Thai people think you're stupid. Thai people think you don't respect money. Thai people think you don't understand money. Thai people think you're not normal. Thai people can't trust you. Simple as that.

Edited by RandomSand
  • Like 1

i think the ATM and OUT OF ORDER t shirt was brilliant, i have the means to print t shirts, i am going to print one before my visit in April and also maybe a "CHEAP CHARLIE" one, my mate is "cheap charlie" walks aroung with 4 grand in his pocket and wont even buy me a CHANG, we have separate bills , i was amazed new years eve i was with a "lady" and he bought us both a drink, nearlt fell of my7 dam stool lol !!

My staff would call anyone especially men who didn't tip them CC.

In other countries where the waiters are actually taxed on what the government thinks the waiters / waitresses should receive in tips per month, I can understand the certain need to tip each time.

But that isn't the case in Thailand, tax on tips isn't an issue here,

it's all under the table, pocket money.

However in my eye the tip is to be based on the service,

and in most cases the service here is as basic as it can possible be,

aside from having to chase the lady down to take an order or bring anything extra to the table.

So I find it unacceptable they should consider themselves as worthy of my money.

I too work in Thailand, and everyday is a work day for my family and I.

We never get a tip for our work, so why should others expect something from us?

We do all that we can in our line of work to see that our customers/clients are satisfied with our service.

We have to travel to our clientele, and be ready for them on a moments notice.

Our reward is their continued business, plan & simple.

Now a days there's a service charge in most places we dine at,

so there's no need to consider a tip, yet the staff often provide small change,

when it's not necessary to do so, but they are still in hopes of an easy score.

Because at the end of the day, that's exactly what it is... an easy score,

to draw peoples money out of their pocket and into the locals pocket.

What used to get under my skin was when some body would be sitting near the cashier station,

and see someone pick up all their change from the bill... they would have to try to make themselves look better,

by jumping into someones business, about leaving a small tip for the staff.

After a while it came to be clear it was the owners of the place,

in most cases, and they needed the customers to leave a tip to help them compensate the staff for the owners low wages paid.

I find this totally unacceptable.

The staff should not have to rely on customers to pay them for working.

That's the owners responsibility, yes?

I used to wonder why the bars couldn't or wouldn't pay each girl a base salary?

After all without the girls at the bar, the bar wouldn't have customers, yes?

It was explained to me, that the girls get 30bht of every drink their customers buy,

and 100 bht of the bar fine.

It still seems like the bars would have better girls applying if they could count on a base salary, yes?

After all the bars are charging upwards of 80bht for a beer that only cost 30bht at the store,

so giving the girls 30bht a beer seems fare, yes?

But only if they have a customer.

It's makes the bar experience uncomfortable for the customers who just want to sit, relax and enjoy a their drinks,

when someone is almost forcing them to order more, or even worse, is forcing themselves into the customers space.

The point here is...in most of the cases I came across, the owners were the ones cheating their staff,

and in return the staff were trying to make up the shortcomings, from the customers.

So Cc is all in the eyes of the owners first & foremost,

and they in turn sell the concept to the staff,

so they will work the guilt onto the customers.

This is why most people expect a tip for any work they do,

in Thailand.

We see the tip cups everywhere,

in hopes of getting our lose change.

Walking into Black Canyon the other day,

I stood at the counter, order a smoothie,

and waited for it to be served,

paid the bill,

and again was given smaller changed than necessary.

Then one of the waitresses standing there, chatting away the whole time I waited,

to the lady making the smoothie, says to me, TIP?

This is a drink to go, and I've stood here waiting for it, there was no service involved,

other the the process of making it.

She says, yes TIP for making it.

Just shook my head in disbelief,

that people should expect to be TIPPED for doing their job.

Black Canyon certainly pays their staff a base salary, yes?

Everyone should have the right to spend their hard earned money how they see fit,

tipping people should never be a requirement IMO.

"I used to wonder why the bars couldn't or wouldn't pay each girl a base salary?" Actually the girls are paid a base salary - then of course get a share of the drink price. My definition of a Cheap Charlie is one who sits at the bar on one or two drinks all night looking at the girls incessantly and never buying just one of them one drink. There is no such thing as a free look.

Cheap Charlie is a common term in many Asia countries. I first heard it in Hong Kong about 40 years ago and it referred then to British and Australian Sailors who were considered mean compared with the Americans on R&R. A bit unfair considering the differences in pay.

Ah cheap charlie or kineow do i love that saying......not!!

on the odd occasion when the other half comes food shopping with me,this phrase will come out of her dear little mouth.It generally means that i have'nt bought something that she likes.And when,if iam really pissed off,i suggest she buys it she get all defensive...strange that!!

but she's certainly not kineow when it comes to buying food and drink for her friends....strange that!!

About the rice ketchup thing - they should have told him first that he couldnt just buy rice by itself and then they saw him put 7 baht of sauce on the rice and thort he should pay for that and an extra charge 10B - its kind of reasonable as Thai's probably wouldn't do it so they didnt expect it to happen.

We tend to get lumped into two groups by those who live off our droppings: Cheap Charlie or Stupid Farang. I prefer being seen as cheap to stupid. Not that I give a toss what they think of me. Shame needs a certain amount of concern about opinions of others to be effective, and since the opinion "cheap Charlie" is just a manipulation to pay more than what something is worth, I usually say "Why thank you!" if they try that trick on me.

on the odd occasion when the other half comes food shopping with me,this phrase will come out of her dear little mouth.It generally means that i have'nt bought something that she likes.And when,if iam really pissed off,i suggest she buys it she get all defensive...strange that!!

but she's certainly not kineow when it comes to buying food and drink for her friends....strange that!!

You must love her toooooooooooo much !

Thais use "Cheap Charlie" and kii nok to refer to European stereotypes who fail to conform to their expectations.

This epithet gets slapped on Europeans only. If a Korean, a Chinese, a Malaysian or one of the illustrious Sons of Heaven leaves nothing on the tray he NEVER gets called a Cheap Charlie. In fact these guys can squat for three hours on a beer or a Coke and leave NOTHING and STILL get their respect from the "mamasan".

A Cheap Charlie is a gringo punter or tourist who tips like a Thai. . . . . . . . a few coins or nothing at all.

Any sign of rudeness or any attempt to "sell my face" and I roll the little barstewards the Thai-style tip they've been building to all evening.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

Sons of Heaven. I like that, Officer Brasco. Carry on. I read it here and I too am, silly tipper.

Not that strange.. just shows your place in things. The payer of stuff.

• Like 1

it's a catch 22 anyway. spend 1 THB too little u're kii neaw. spend 1THB too much and you're stupid farang. the trick is to say u get stuff FEEEEEEEE. that's what i do when they ask about a price. FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. then there's plenty of "laughing" (FACE!) and envy...

ps. and kii neaw is also used on stingy (often CHINA-)thai.

Edited by stickylies

Thais use "Cheap Charlie" and kii nok to refer to European stereotypes who fail to conform to their expectations.

This epithet gets slapped on Europeans only. If a Korean, a Chinese, a Malaysian or one of the illustrious Sons of Heaven leaves nothing on the tray he NEVER gets called a Cheap Charlie. In fact these guys can squat for three hours on a beer or a Coke and leave NOTHING and STILL get their respect from the "mamasan".

A Cheap Charlie is a gringo punter or tourist who tips like a Thai. . . . . . . . a few coins or nothing at all.

Any sign of rudeness or any attempt to "sell my face" and I roll the little barstewards the Thai-style tip they've been building to all evening.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

Sons of Heaven. I like that, Officer Brasco. Carry on. I read it here and I too am, silly tipper.

War bonds

post-187908-0-82540900-1393249379_thumb.

There are cheap people in every country and walk of life. Even a lot of rich people are cheap, while many poor people are not. It's more attitude and style than the amount of money one has.

For sure, frequenting a bar, club, etc. in Thailand where the staff label you as "he cheap Chaarlie" is a stigma that'll hinder or ruin your chances of taking out a hottie.

There are cheap people in every country and walk of life. Even a lot of rich people are cheap, while many poor people are not. It's more attitude and style than the amount of money one has.

For sure, frequenting a bar, club, etc. in Thailand where the staff label you as "he cheap Chaarlie" is a stigma that'll hinder or ruin your chances of taking out a hottie.

Unless it is an intelligent hottie....with money of herself !

Haven't heard the Cheap Charlie gogo bar epithet in years. It always used to make me giggle. Always found it endearing actually. I hardly felt those who used it were being very serious about it. It was sort of like something to say once they found you weren't a push over to a ridiculous level.

Now I think they are better at picking out who is going to be a sucker and who isn't, so they just leave you alone whenever you go into a gogo as opposed to sitting with you and half laughing half quacking "Cheap Charlie, aw?! You no good!"

• Like 1