The Cheap Charlie experience.

alanrchase

i think you will find they are calling you sticky shit,not sticky rice,kee neow= sticky shit,cow neow= stick rice, kee neow means you are a tight arse[no pun intended] with money,or vis a vis a cheap charlie.

Your understanding of Thai language is incorrect.

This use of "kee" does not mean shit.

It indicates a negative personal attribute.

Kee Maow = drunkard (not shit drunk)

Kee Gawn = cheater

Kee giat = lazy

Kee Neow = tight (not sticky shit)

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 2

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The biggest "cheap charlie kii niao" team is the BKK Chinese population and they are the high-so. One of them told me he is very reach cause his family was enough greedy. So ...

And Thai Thais very like to carouse if others pay.

I guess you know about Isaan mentality.

Conclusion: you are cheap charlie if you don't do which is their expection and especially don't pay enough.

But as one mate told above: much better to be it than a walking idiot ATM.

Edited by Loles

Tip is for USA people. In Europe we do not tip since 1977 anymore.

It was a tax problem for everybody.

Here people call me "sticky rice", what does it mean?

As I m not spending too much(I don't receive pension from any nany state, I m on my own ) , people look at me with respect, someone who can live under his means and who has no debt.

Have a gf who has a normal job and we share for years, her friends respect me. These losers can not find a normal lady. You can spot them at 11 am in bars in front of a beer. They barely started the day and are already drunk.

Guys, get a life... Go fishing instead or recycle trash!

You can always spot the Dutch - And by the way, The beer is in front of me, not the other way around.

About the rice ketchup thing - they should have told him first that he couldnt just buy rice by itself and then they saw him put 7 baht of sauce on the rice and thort he should pay for that and an extra charge 10B - its kind of reasonable as Thai's probably wouldn't do it so they didnt expect it to happen.

Firstly I admit, the guy might have been Ukrainian, but he had a very thick Russian accent and this took place in Pattaya....

The problem was that the young boy took the order and immediately brought him the rice from the pre-cooked rice bin. It was only when the Eastern European gentleman covered the rice in ketchup that the owner realised that he wasn't going to order anything else. Maybe the menu should have "minimum order 50Baht" to avoid such problems. It interested me that the owner was happy to throw the rice out and receive no money, rather than sell it for 10baht. Maybe they worried that they would be over run by Cheap Charlies.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

i think you will find they are calling you sticky shit,not sticky rice,kee neow= sticky shit,cow neow= stick rice, kee neow means you are a tight arse[no pun intended] with money,or vis a vis a cheap charlie.

Kee Gawn = cheater

Kee giat = lazy

so what do they call shit,when they go for a kee to to hung nam,i think that would mean shit.

Kee Gawn = cheater

Kee giat = lazy

so what do they call shit,when they go for a kee to to hung nam,i think that would mean shit.

This should continue in a Thai language topic but to clarify, they are both spelt and pronounced the same but you have to look at the context. In the above it is a prefix that indicates the following adjective is a negative quality of the person being referred to.

So, back on topic.

Kee Gawn = cheater

Kee giat = lazy

Yes same word but not literal, as a particle is used as a negative intensifier.

With kee nok it does mean "bird shit" for skanky/poor

I remember I needed to buy a bunch of wooden tops or whistles for something, like 25-40 pieces. I was on the walking street with my mother, so I was haggling in English so she would know what was being said (I believe she needed them for some activity back home) And this woman wanted a higher price than most, so I tried to haggle and get about 15 baht off the price of each, when she wouldn't agree I said no thanks, as I turned to leave she muttered "Farang kii neow" I did a quick 180 and said, "I'm not stingy, you're f'ing greedy" She had not known I understood Thai.

I walked on and about 50m more I found a guy selling the same thing, but 20b less than she was asking, which was a further 5 baht cheaper than I was haggling for, I didn't even bother to haggle and bought the items. He was surprised I didn't haggle and I told him about the situation before hand and I was happy with his prices as is, so he smiled and gave me a few more for free.

On the way back, I did lift the bag and tell the lady the price, because I was much more of an ass back then....

/CSB

• Like 1

Personally I don't give shit about cheap charlies as long as they don't interfere with my life. BUT, if Mrs.Trans and I go to a government office for any reason and SHE sees a farang in flip flops and shorts she does rolleyes.gif and tells me stuff that does equate to the term of "cheap charlie no brain"..........whistling.gif

Personally I don't give shit about cheap charlies as long as they don't interfere with my life. BUT, if Mrs.Trans and I go to a government office for any reason and SHE sees a farang in flip flops and shorts she does rolleyes.gif and tells me stuff that does equate to the term of "cheap charlie no brain"..........whistling.gif

One of the funny things about old white guys in Thailand, they think sandals are acceptable.

Thai guys wear flip flops, trainers or shoes, those are acceptable, where as sandals are just weird.

Shorts are for children and sportsmen.

But dirty, torn jeans are totally acceptable for everyone.

Sweaty red faces are a bit out of order too. Not to mention fat guys.

Fit in or go home.

Sorry, you miss my point. I am not asking anyone about their financial circumstances just about their experiences wkith being called "kii neow"

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I first experienced it in Vietnam in 1969, the bar girls refereed to us (Australians) as cheap charlies because the Americans splashed more money or paid the girls higher prices. (We and the Americans referred to the Viet Cong as Charlie (South Vietnamese civilians fighting for the Communist North. Usually farmers by day, guerrillas by night.)

On my second tour I took R&R in Thailand and it was being used in the bar scene here also. (Never heard it used in Taiwan on my first R&R.) One would imagine it progressed from Vietnam to Thailand due to the amount of servicemen that came here. Another thing to note is that a lot of South Vietnamese girls also were working as hookers and still are. Most of them concentrate out of establishments that cater for ex Thai Vietnam Veterans and Koreans around Don Muang area.

Here's the problem! I own a restaurant/bar and I can tell you frugal and cheap charlie mean the same thing! Does not matter where you are from. Example ! 2 customers come in the restaurant and order 2 steaks and rave about how good the steak and the service is! When the bill is presented in the area of 7 to 8 hundred baht, not even a baht left! Now where I come from if you have a great experience with the food and the service you leave an average of 15%! If you can't leave that then you have no business being here! These people who serve you live on a mere existence and when you cheap charlies come in it makes me shriek!! Same as man who wants to sit and watch olympics for 3 hour

s with a water and not reorder taking up a table of 5!! Ignorance and cheapness at it's best!! I tip according to service and quality! If you can't do that than you are certainly outclassed and everyone knows who the cheap charlies are!! By the way you know who you are and we do too!

Give your staff a pay rise if you think they do such a wonderful job.