The Cheap Charlie experience.

alanrchase

I have been watching Thaivisa for a couple of months and have been visiting the country for 25 years and have seen no mention of the "Cheap charlie" subject.

Sometimes this phenomenon amuses me and sometimes it angers me. What are your views and experiences of it?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there a restaurant called kii neaw on Sukimvit? I mean farangs paying for various things ( not BG ) and then when they question another bill and say no the kii neow phrase comes out!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

It is a form of shaming behaviour. It is surprisingly effective. It is often employed by locals working in the bar field. I have not heard it used outside of this [demi-]world.

That is so true.

Mostly spoken by people who consider people who don't spend as CCs as total suckers and fools.

• Like 2

I am very frugal but have never been called cheap. However I don't spend time in the service sector. I do wonder why being frugal is a bad thing. People that throw away money left and right are stupid to me. Back in the states where my family live, the economy hit them hard and most are pretty tight now.

I guess what others said must be true. Those that are calling you cheap or stingy would be those that are looking for tips or free money.

I love when people premis an op by stating how long they have been visiting. So 25 years does that mean you come here 1-2 weeks every couple of years for do you winter here 6 months a year or 25 years straight. Coming here as a tourist and throwing around money for a holiday is not the same as living in a community and adding to it. I have never heard this term or the Thai equivalent used, but perhaps because I run in different circles.

• Like 2

I do not think it is restricted to Thai/Farang encounters. As one or two people have mentioned it is used for a lazy person to get money from a sibling because they have some money. I give my father inlaw 1000B when I visit because I a very nice man (5555). He gets on his bike and spends it immediately because if other family members know he has money they will pressursise him into buying whisky.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Its just another terminology for being "mean", if said because you wont give something, it says more about the person saying it because they cant get what they want.

Agreed.

Trouble IS when you "give 'em what they NEED instead of what they want, many of them become SO pre-occupied with their disappointment and with having had their expectations shattered in the presence of other service people that they go into a THREE-DAY sulk.

I'd like to see a thread on THAT some day.

(Even the Thais joke about the three-day sulk routine (women) or the stink-eye routine (punks)

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

Edited by Donnie Brasco