NSC says Armed Forces may cite Rajaprasong bomb attack to impose martial law

webfact

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martial law might at least cool it down and make it harder to perpetrate these nasty hit and run attacks. They could do with ordering Suthep to step back a few paces. Horrific as these attacks are i imagine Suthep guessed that this response would come, after all the reds do have "previous" in that regard. I sincerely hope moderates on both sides cease being used as tools for these odious excuses of public servants.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I think the time is right for military intervention... I'm not talking about a coup. The army must come to the rescue of the now indifferent populous. Neither side will win, nor have a right to govern. The military must step in and restore order. Thailand is fast spiralling into unbridled anarchy, which is a very dangerous situation. The houses of government and the hallways of power must be hosed out now. Immediately, as there will be no impasse to this diabolically selfish situation. /rant.

• Like 1

Grenades are fired, detonated bombs and shotings into crowds.

People die and what do the police?

So far, nothing.
Not a single case elucidated.
Have the police stopped to work for the people in this country?

Well last time I personally saw a video of as you say, "Grenades are fired, detonated bombs and shooting into crowds. People die and what do the police do? So far, Nothing"

What I saw police were the victims, they were trying to hide behind their riot shield for protection from live ammo and grenade blasts. How can any body blame the police for not solving those crimes given the history of police officers shot, beaten, tied up and blindfolded and interrogated by the militant buddha and then beaten.

The police are still working for all in the country except for the protest areas as the court ordered the police to leave them alone!

Cheers

If the police were working for all in the country, they would be facing *away* from the peaceful protesters, instead of towards them.

Yes I see your point, they would have been shot in the back!

Say, This happened in the USA, The police would have cleared the blockade of Bangkok out, on day One, because they protect the rest of the country, right to live by the "Rule of Law", That is their job, to protect all citizens by adhering to the Rule of law, equally for all!

Cheers

So far, nothing.

Well last time I personally saw a video of as you say, "Grenades are fired, detonated bombs and shooting into crowds. People die and what do the police do? So far, Nothing"

What I saw police were the victims, they were trying to hide behind their riot shield for protection from live ammo and grenade blasts. How can any body blame the police for not solving those crimes given the history of police officers shot, beaten, tied up and blindfolded and interrogated by the militant buddha and then beaten.

The police are still working for all in the country except for the protest areas as the court ordered the police to leave them alone!

Cheers

Firstly. Any deaths or injuries are abhorrent.

"

What I saw police were the victims,"

And yet 1 police officer dead. 4 protestors dead. 18 police officers injured. 68 protestors.

First medical team's to tend police grenade victims ... the protestors medical teams.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As the international news stated the police were attacked, by live ammo and grenades, the whole world saw that. I believe the police used only tear gas and rubber bullets, as they stated, as the CNN video I saw about 6-8 policeman armed with shot guns returned heavy fire in response to the protesters deadly force, if the police officers that came under fire from live ammunitions where armed why did they not fire those weapons when their lives were threatened.

Look at the Video "Just type in the following link!"

www.dailymotion.com/video/x1cn9kg_camera_catches_attack_on_bangkok_police_news.

"What I saw the police were the victims" The protesters where most likely the victims of "friendly fire" if the died from rubber bullets, the police were responsible, if they died from live ammo, friendly fire.

Cheers

what you see and what you believe are exactly what your bias will allow and that is the ptp/red party line. Strange that the rest of the world knows the truth but not you. You deny the fact police were armed with live ammo and the necessary weapons as shown in multiple pics etc but instead try to tell everyone it was self inflicted by their own friends, I would have no problems telling you exactly what you are but that would get me a holiday. As for the military stepping in, I think it may well prove to be a great idea to stop the killing of innocents seeing the police are unable/not willing to do anything about it, would piss of chalerm no end.

Kikoman it looks like you have a full time job to promote this so called goverment. Do you have a working permit?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Well let's see:

Fact: The police had not caught any of the terrorists, even so some of them committed their crimes in broad daylight.

Fact: The police is mostly in Thaksins side

Fact: Most of the violence has been against Government protesters

Fact: UDD members where enthusiastically cheering, when their UDD leader announced that peaceful protesters were killed by grenade and drive-by shooting attacks in Trat

I think, that if the terrorism was done by anyone but pro-government forces, the culprits would have been caught a long time ago.

To me, it seems, that it is to discourage people from staying out/coming out to protest against the Government.

If the military wanted a coup, they could have used any of the brutal attacks, over the past few month, to launch one. They haven't.

If Suthep was such a war monger, as some of you claim, he would have called for armed conflict by now. He reminds me more of Ghandi than anyone. The protests, from the side of the Anti-Government protesters, has been mostly peaceful.

So this NSC announcement, along with a lot of the other pro-government propaganda, is nothing but smoke and mirrors wai2.gif

There must be something wrong with my computer. I'm sure that the screen says that Suthep reminds you of Ghandi!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Another attack like this will give the military all they need to establish martial law. While I"m no fan of martial law, I think this just might be a case where it is needed to regain peace and stop, or at lease decrease, the violence by all sides.

Sure ! with 20 coups or coup attempts, widespread massacres and human rights violations since thw 1932, an army government will bring "peace and democracy".

Yes, sure,....peace, democracy and stability like in the past 80 years.

Well, that's what this power-thirsty people are looking for....an excuse to fill their power thirst and step in with another dictatorial anti democratic anti pacific anti human rights government.First they create the chaos, than say it's time to step in.

A movie seen dozens of times in Thailand and people still take flowers to them at every coup...

Edited by max72
  • Like 1

Another attack like this will give the military all they need to establish martial law. While I"m no fan of martial law, I think this just might be a case where it is needed to regain peace and stop, or at lease decrease, the violence by all sides.

Personally I much prefer any general, elected or not elected to the current leaders! Hell even a monkey would be better. It would not do anything good, but at least it would not do any harm either!

Well let's see:

Fact: The police had not caught any of the terrorists, even so some of them committed their crimes in broad daylight.

Fact: The police is mostly in Thaksins side

Fact: Most of the violence has been against Government protesters

Fact: UDD members where enthusiastically cheering, when their UDD leader announced that peaceful protesters were killed by grenade and drive-by shooting attacks in Trat

I think, that if the terrorism was done by anyone but pro-government forces, the culprits would have been caught a long time ago.

To me, it seems, that it is to discourage people from staying out/coming out to protest against the Government.

If the military wanted a coup, they could have used any of the brutal attacks, over the past few month, to launch one. They haven't.

If Suthep was such a war monger, as some of you claim, he would have called for armed conflict by now. He reminds me more of Ghandi than anyone. The protests, from the side of the Anti-Government protesters, has been mostly peaceful.

So this NSC announcement, along with a lot of the other pro-government propaganda, is nothing but smoke and mirrors wai2.gif

There must be something wrong with my computer. I'm sure that the screen says that Suthep reminds you of Ghandi!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Gandhi was not a convicted brutal corrupt murderer ;like Suthep, the most corrupted people in the whole Thailand according to Chuan Leekpai from the Democratic Party (party which was corrupted and destroyed by Suthep for his own sake) , Gandhi never ordered the murder of women and children inside a temple like Suthep did.Not to mention all the land he had stolen , all his scams with palm oil schemes, etc...

Very "smart" to compare a hero like Gandhi with one of the biggest gangster and criminal of all Asia

Edited by max72
  • Like 2

So far, nothing.

Stopped!! they only work for one person and one person alone as they have him to thank for their positions (not meritorious by the way) and tidy pensions at the end of their stint of serving him!!

So if the army want to take power, they just sent someone to throw a few bomb, and they get the power.

Just like the south of Thailand, where there is a theory that many of the killings/bombing were actually done by army, so to secure the army budget, and excuse for expenditure. Like buying an airship that cannot fly.

It's getting to the point where a coup, although far from ideal, may be the only way to go in the short term.

Of course it would damage Thailand's reputation or what's left of it, but at least it would put a stop to Suthep's rantings and the government's incompetence. It would be an opportunity to take a time out, establish some order so people can get on with theirt day to day living again and during which time both parties can take stock and offload their unwanted baggage (you know who they are) and start afresh.

Might be worth a try.

It would help in several ways, solve the problem of the current uncompleted-election, enable the farmers to get paid, get Suthep's protesters and also the UDD on-a-leash, allow time for constitutional-changes to be discussed more calmly, perhaps lead to a national-referendum on changes & then a fresh election returning power to the country once again.

Not a perfect solution, but at least a chance for the needless deaths/injuries/bombings/shootings to cease, if enough of the population accept that it's now time once again, for the Re-Set button to be pushed ?

The question remains, at what point does a coup become less-wrong, than the alternative ?

Some would say "never", others might be more pragmatic, in a country which is still far from properly democratic.

I agree there's nothing wrong with a military coup if it helps in the way you say. The problem is the military seem likely to use their control to make sure that they retain their control and impunity. There's a court case pending for Abhisit and Suthep where the real responsibility would seem to rest with the army. Would the military stand back and allow anything that would adversely effect them?

If they could just maintain peace whilst reforms were carried out then that would be fine. Those reforms need to deal with the perceived bias in the courts and other independent bodies so they can oversee any future government.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am just a bystander...but why doesn't anybody considers some sort of autonomy for certain provinces.

north and north east and south with extensive own goverment but with vetoright from bangkok.????

But as I said...I am just a bystander and T.I.T. thus never ask why.

Worth discussing among us????

I imagine the shooting out of powers to different areas would be to complicated. Just look at the problems now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Blah blah army blah blah coup blah blah martial law blah blah.

Every time these stupid quasi politicians are stirring the pot with unfounded bullshit .. it really is beyond belief.

What?

In the absence of a coup where the military retake full control of the country then at least a declaration of martial law for BKK would seem to be a step in the right direction because it seems that without some decisive intercession that the violence will inevitably keep spiraling in the wrong direction.

• Like 2

So if the army want to take power, they just sent someone to throw a few bomb, and they get the power.

Just like the south of Thailand, where there is a theory that many of the killings/bombing were actually done by army, so to secure the army budget, and excuse for expenditure. Like buying an airship that cannot fly.

Are you ever going to post something that is sensible???

This is not the first time I've seen this claim - are you trying to turn propaganda into fact by repetition?

There was no referendum to back up any supposed figure of support. Most victims' families were too scared to take any action against the police, given Thaksin's support.

BTW it did nothing to curtail the drugs bosses activities - just some users, some small dealers and others with nothing to do with drugs.that the police had a grudge against.

In short your claim is BS.

@ khunken On the contrary, your claim is BS, read on son, you might even get to university one day...

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2011/09/27/war-on-drugs-yinglucks-turn/

Ah New Mandela - a mostly pro red propaganda web site - BS in spades.

Do you really have to be patronising as well as your futile attempt to defend extra-judicial murder?

I didn't defend it, I simply stated that it was not an unpopular play at the time... which it wasn't, according to various neutral polls within Thailand, and as reported by ANU, (Australian National University, the preeminent source of learning for all things of an Asia/Pacific political nature.)

Ok I accept that you didn't defend it. Neutral polls? Not very many (neutral) and not very accurate either in Thailand so not really worth extrapolating to 'popular'.

Only an Aussie could make an arrogant statement that the ANU is the preeminent source of learning........

Judging from their New Mandala web site, they're the source of much propaganda as I stated above.

They have an opinion and nothing more.

• Like 2

I am just a bystander...but why doesn't anybody considers some sort of autonomy for certain provinces.

north and north east and south with extensive own goverment but with vetoright from bangkok.????

But as I said...I am just a bystander and T.I.T. thus never ask why.

Worth discussing among us????

Any options are worth discussing in the current situation. I think some autonomy down south might finally provide a bridge to some sort of resolution! However I dont believe it would work or is what is needed up North?

I recall direct after the coup 2006. The military was the most sensitive and most common sense I have ever seen in Thailand.

The stopped all the censorship nonsense as one of their first actions.

Curfew was in place but it was no problem to go after it around with the car.

The military acted like a democratic elected government that gives freedom to their citizen while the elected ones act like military dictatorships....

There were taffic jams along major roads because citizens would park vehicles two lanes deep to get photo ops with tanks, giving flowers, and of course pretty girls.

I always wonder what people overseas think, here is a Thai coup.

girltroops.jpeg

Of course, not all coups have been so cheerful.

Edited by rabas

Paradorn Patthanathabutr said today that the lethal grenade attack at Rajaprasong might be used as an excuse by the military to impose martial law in the capital.

I find the above statement very interesting until I read this. That article does open ones eyes to the underlying currents of servitude that drips off our dear friend parador's statement.

In summary when thaksin moved the pieces in his cabinet reshuffle (yes, yes yingluck is the PM) he placed strategic pawns, if you will, in places that will serve his interests in the future. One of which was putting our thaksin loyalist friend in the position of NSC chief. Heaven forbid right that the NSC makes decisions that are not thaksin agenda driven. They would then be classified as a neutral entity and the UDD would have a 5 prong attack instead of their current 4 prong attack which would incorporate the downfall of the NCC as well. In this same month pardon actually called thaksin his brother. WOW. That is a friendship made in political heaven.

​So when you read the statement at the top rest assured it is rumor mongering by a puppet of an unelectable accused mass murderer, accused terrorist, convicted criminal fugitive that is trying to achieve an agenda of disinformation over the gullible masses to bread contempt and mistrust in, you guessed it, the PDRC and the military both of which have beeb targeted by the UDD as entities to "zero in on"

This is just rhetorical noise equivalent in the decibel range of someone screaming from Dubai while the listen is in Bangkok. Hardly noticeable and only trying desperately to further demonize anyone that opposes the PTP through imaginary fallacies.

In a sense he is "substituting feelings for facts". Facts are there is no evidence to reinforce anything he is saying. It is his opinion, but the feelings are running strong in the UDD camp so this clouds judgements and makes one look past the facts to vindicate what the dear leaders brother says is in fact just that FACTS.

Rest assured the majority of Thai's are are not fooled by these simple demagogue tricks anymore. You need to wake up early to pull an old propaganda argument over the majorities eyes now. (And that is with the Dubai time difference)

Can't blame thaksin though (yes yes yingluck is PM). He must be frustrated by his sister unable to push his amnesty through. If only for the pesky majority that didn't want it.

If what you state is factual,

"Rest assured the majority of Thai's are are not fooled by these simple demagogue trick's anymore"

Why isn't a election held and let that majority pick whom ever that majority wants to lead the country, I also believe that the majority of Thai's, will elect those persons they believe will lead the country effectively, what ever side wins an election, all should accept, repeat "What ever side wins"

Is that not so?

This has been rehashed ad nauseum. Last time OK.

It has been shown by the PTP that democracy ceases post ballot box. That is where democracy should begin.

Elections should be free and fair. They are not.

Before and now a narrow supporter base was / is being manipulated to ensure electoral victory. That is a dictatorship. A democracy is an ability to appeal to a broad section of the population. Not just rice farmers.

The majority of Thai's realize this and to make it a reality, reform is needed before the next election lest in 10 to 20 years time that narrow voter base is manipulated again and we go back to square one. I cannot speak for the Thai's and I don't purport to, but if the PTP win after the reform my wife who is a supporter of all the principles of democracy would herald the win a success of democracy knowing full well there will be no abuse of power, no blatant corruption, no ramming through amnesties against the will of the majority and no telling voters "you will get what you want when you vote for us" and as is indicated from the last 2 tragic days a brutal repression of peaceful protesting that is more akin to Iraq than Thailand where the UDD supporters laugh and cheer when they realize the opposition have been killed and maimed. That's not the democracy I am used to.

I look forward to a true real democracy. The one that is defined in the dictionary. Not the principle called election. People always harp on about elections as if that is it. Start finish and middle of democracy. Yet they stay silent on the abuses that the PTP perpetuated when they held power. Whether it is silent or ignorance is still out with the jury, but suffice to say only one principle is only ever repeated here. One. Democracy is more than one.

Al- Bashir won the last election with 68% of the vote I believe (I think?) He has ruled Sudan since 1989, al-Bashir is wanted by the International Criminal Court for war crimes and crimes against humanity, namely in the Darfur region. 2.7 million people are believed to have been displaced since 2003 as a result of his military campaign against the Darfur rebels. He was elected. I would suggest they need reform as well, but some would suggest that because he was elected by the majority this not need be the case. It is.

Cheers.

I suggest that the reds on this forum read this as they might learn something!!!

• Like 1

So far, nothing.

I didn't realise they ever did.

I can not believe that somebody can launch grenades in the center of a major city, simply unseen. Over all are CCTV and certainly eye-witnesses.

Why the police do not work with all forces to arrest this killers? The passivity of the so-called police authorities is really worrying.

Until now, also no statement from the government police (DSI, CMPO, CAPO).

If you visit the protest sites and/or areas around the protest sites you will not see one single police officer for miles around. They have totally opted out.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Since the so-called government has done nothing to prevent the continuous violence being perpetrated against the protestors and those perceived to be aligned with the protestors, and indeed may very well be tacitly complicit, I for one would welcome the imposition of martial law. Democracy is a wonderful ideal, but in Thailand it has become a euphemism for kleptocracy in the guise of serving the national interest.

How would you expect the government to prevent violence other than to eliminate itself as the target or protests by disolving itself? It has no law enforcement agency that it can direct and the police cannot use any force to stop violence as per recent court order. How does the government stop violence from the "certain group of people who intended to worsen the situation so as to justify the military’s action, and then put all the blame on the government or the police for starting all the violence"? In other words the PDRC.

Maybe a stupid question but what exactly would imposing martial law mean? Surely it means taking power from the government (if only in Bangkok).

How is different from a full coup?

Well, you first must remember that it's Thailand and there are many very distinct differences like this. A full coup and a mini-coup is kind of about the same as being just a little bit pregnant. I think it's called semantics, in other cases framing or perception/ personal perspective, but most of all like always thinking that it's the rest of the world lacking in intelligence.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So far, nothing.

If you remember, the police is not allowed by civil court to do their job. Any move by the police will be seen as trying to limit/break up Sutheps peacefull protests. This is why SOE was called. Its not just to stop protests, it is also to protect the public against fringe elements taking advantage of the situation to spread chaos.

Give SOE a real chance before declaring martial law.

The civil court only ruled on the SoE on 19th Feb. It had already been in place since January 21st.. Did the police catch ANY of the people bombing and shooting the anti government protesters! No

The civil court ruling only affects the SOE it doesn't impair the Police from doing their job within the framework of Thailand's laws.

No the court did not rule on the legitimacy of the SOE, only on the use of police force on protesters. It forfade the police from using ANY force on the protesters, essentially stripping the police powers to maintain law and order.

• Like 1

"He noted that there was certain group of people who intended to worsen the situation so as to justify the military’s action, and then put all the blame on the government or the police for starting all the violence." I think many have thought the same without concrete evidence (excepting the popcorn bag shooters) and the Government has claimed the same, but it's revealing that the military believes such as heinious conspiracy exists as well. And who might those people be that would want to put the blame for violence on the Government? The PTP is hardly even plausible; it is the Government. Democrats and Suthep whose only entree to control of the government is through non-democratic means would seem the likely candidates.I think martial law imposed prior to the last of the remaining elections does not bode well for Suthep.