British Airways Flights

DD13

Hi Folks

I am taking a trip back to England later in the year.

I usually travel "Elite" with, EVA Airways (a great airline,) with whom I have always been very happy....

but their fare this year.... is THB 20,000 more than B.A are offering for "direct" flights.

Does anyone have experience of travelling with British Airways ? (especially their Premium Class).....

and their thoughts please.....

I have been told that the cabin staff can be arrogant and not very attentive...

Many thanks

Edited by DD13
  • Like 1

holidayed in UK in July/August last year with the wife and kids, flew via BA direct to LHR, the flight was ok, wouldn't go as far as to say the staff were unfriendly, but maybe a touch abrupt at times I've never flown via the carrier you mentioned so can't give you a comparison there, but compared to Qatar or Emirates both of which I use to travel to work, not really the same to either in my opinion in regard to staff friendliness or seating comfort, just my opinion of course

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I fly ''British Airways'' ''Business Class'' frequently, and have no problem, with the service, or the inflight entertainment..

Comfortable Seat which reclines to a full flat bed, which is great,...

Cabin Crew, are fine, but i am not one of those demanding passengers..

For me, i am paying for the ''Flat Bed''...

Never any problems..

Thank you "robertthebruce & JMS for your comments.....as you will know Premium Economy/Elite is one step up from economy.....not in the same stratosphere as Business Class,

It is fair to say that Business Class passengers would expect to be afforded more attention, and rightly so...

Thanks also to "Jonnyscott".....I haven't used "Qatar or Emirates" as yet....but would imagine that, as with "EVA",.. they are friendlier and less "full of themselves" as I have been told some BA staff can be........

I say that as an Englishman

I hope for more comments

Edited by DD13
  • Like 1

I switched from Eva "evergreen" (premium economy) to British Airways (premium economy) 18 months ago for the same reasons you've mentioned.

About £300 cheaper.

I book a 1 year ticket, where the return date can be changed. No cost with Eva, £100 cost with B.A. Therefore overall difference, B.A. £200 cheaper.

Advantage with B.A. is you can take 2 suitcases.

Comparing inflight differences, I would say B.A. marginally better.

• Like 1

I flew from LHR with BA last year and will be going back with them this year. Last year's plane was a bit old but very comfortable, aided by the flight being barely half full. This year's plane should be new.

Service was fine. BA manage to produce drinks (proper drinks) before the food arrives and not afterwards as the middle Eastern airlines often do. The G&Ts taste like G&Ts, and the tea tastes like tea.

And the price for that direct flight is barely more expensive than flying with other airlines that dont fly direct.

Several different airlines mentioned, several price differences mentioned, but not a single actual price for a ticket. Difficult to judge good or bad based on that. I am flying back to UK for a couple of weeks on 14 March, got Emirates business at THB 89615. For me that is fine. A380's every leg of the journey, and I do like the break in DXB for a smoke.

• Like 1

only flew with ba one time,last june booked and payed for my flight,but

on the day of my flight i got an email informing me they had changed

the flight times and thus extended my stopover in heathrow by three extra

hours , when i rang customer service to complain i was basically told

so what, and on the actual flight the service was poor compared to

emirates, i won't use them again.

HI

i have noticed on that new aircraft from ''Hong Kong'' the ''A380'' even though i always fly ''Business'' i did walk past the ''Premium coach'' cabin, and it did look nice, who knows maybe one day they will introduce that aircraft to ''Bangkok'..

have you not thought about ''Thai Airways''... they are ok as well

How much are the EVA and BA flights respectively?

Thanks.

For a June flight

British Airways quote THB 51,000

EVA THB 71,000

Also, as Pattaya 28 says.....with BA 2 suit cases are allowed.......

But from looking at BA's information, the seats don't appear as comfortable as EVA

HI

i have noticed on that new aircraft from ''Hong Kong'' the ''A380'' even though i always fly ''Business'' i did walk past the ''Premium coach'' cabin, and it did look nice, who knows maybe one day they will introduce that aircraft to ''Bangkok'..

have you not thought about ''Thai Airways''... they are ok as well

Having once travelled on Singapore Airlines , I must agree I was really happy with the 380.....and the cabin crews attention

Sadly having to go via Singapore made the journey very long ( about 17 hours I seem to recall)

(That was on a promotion in 2009 .....Economy THB.... 17,000 return....) not likely to see that ever again sad.png

I did use Thai Airways once ......I think the 747 I was on ......was the first to be built "ancient".....I expect that it is now razor blades.....

But I will check them out

Thanks for your info"

Edited by DD13

I just flew Barbados- LHR- BKK economy and was very disappointed. Both flights the seat and entertainment system had issues. When it did work it was crap anyway. The food was atrocious (I am a regular flyer) but the staff were ok. The planes just seemed very worn out. The guy next to me also had non functioning entertainment system which was partly held together with duct tape so someone had a look at it but no budget to fix it?

Was a company paid for flight but give me Emirates anytime!

I just flew Barbados- LHR- BKK economy and was very disappointed. Both flights the seat and entertainment system had issues. When it did work it was crap anyway. The food was atrocious (I am a regular flyer) but the staff were ok. The planes just seemed very worn out. The guy next to me also had non functioning entertainment system which was partly held together with duct tape so someone had a look at it but no budget to fix it?

Was a company paid for flight but give me Emirates anytime!

Very interesting.....Was that BA ?

My pal flies Emirates and also rates them highly .....sadly not a direct flight though

Maybe I will try them one day, and have a "stop over"

Thanks for your reply

Several different airlines mentioned, several price differences mentioned, but not a single actual price for a ticket. Difficult to judge good or bad based on that.

I buy my tickets LHR/BKK/LHR because it's usually cheaper than BKK/LHR/BKK. Currently BA is showing GBP660 return in economy for flights commencing in June. Last week it was GBP630 for the same flights. This direct flight price is very close to the price quoted by other airlines who have a stop-over on that trip and so take several hours more out of your life. In fact BA is cheaper than a few of them.

Personally I just want to get the unpleasant business of being in a plane over as quickly as possible and so a direct flight suits me.

• Like 1

I regularaly fly either emirates or eva ,both have really good staff ,i have only once flown BA and stopped even looking at them when they did those stupid paintings on the tails instead of the British flag ,still not being rich enough to fly buisness class i do find the plastic seats a little hard in the storage compt that they put me in ,in the belly of the plane.smile.png

• Like 1

EVA standards in premium economy have definitely slipped over the last few years with lots of signs of cost cutting (along with a very steep price hike), which is why I've stopped using them. On my last flight with them there was no alcoholic drink before the first meal, and the goody bag was no more.

My last flight for about the same price was business class with Sri Lankan. There's a long layover in Colombo on the return leg, but they put you up in an hotel room air side where you can get a night's sleep. The food in the business class lounge in Colombo is generally excellent. If you're not in a hurry it's a good option in my opinion.

What a good idea....that has given me an option I hadn't thought of

I am only going to see family/friends..... the last time I went home I got to Heathrow and thought "why am I here?"

Also am staying with family/friends.... I know that visitors are like fish ...."after three days they start to stink"

One question....were you booked "Business" to get an hotel room?

Thanks for your reply

EVA standards in premium economy have definitely slipped over the last few years with lots of signs of cost cutting (along with a very steep price hike), which is why I've stopped using them. On my last flight with them there was no alcoholic drink before the first meal, and the goody bag was no more.

My last flight for about the same price was business class with Sri Lankan. There's a long layover in Colombo on the return leg, but they put you up in an hotel room air side where you can get a night's sleep. The food in the business class lounge in Colombo is generally excellent. If you're not in a hurry it's a good option in my opinion.

I am only going to see family/friends..... the last time I went home I got to Heathrow and thought "why am I here?"

Also am staying with family/friends.... I know that visitors are like fish ...."after three days they start to stink"

Thanks for your reply

I was booked Business. My understanding is that if you have a layover of greater than a certain number of hours (not sure of the exact number - 8 or 10 I think) you'll get an hotel room whatever the class. However, if it's Economy class the room will probably be outside the airport, and you may have a long (provided) bus ride to get there. If it's Business or better, the room will be at the airport.

Thanks for your reply

Great ...thank you very much

I have just checked "Business" Sri-lankan Airlines... THB 67,000 .....still THB 4,000 cheaper than EVA Elite

I was booked Business. My understanding is that if you have a layover of greater than a certain number of hours (not sure of the exact number - 8 or 10 I think) you'll get an hotel room whatever the class. However, if it's Economy class the room will probably be outside the airport, and you may have a long (provided) bus ride to get there. If it's Business or better, the room will be at the airport.

Thanks for your reply

Edited by DD13

Thanks for your reply

I know that 'why am I here' feeling only too well.

Out of curiosity, you say in your opening post your trip is 'later in the year' what, maybe 6-8 months away? If so, why are you giving it so much attention now? Are you bored with not much else to look forward to? Just asking.

Pat

Flying in June...... "Pat"

With a garden the size of mine I am never bored.....exhausted yes

But always like to plan and book my flights in good time

I hope that didn't bore you whistling.gif

While I am on the "original" subject

flightcentre.co.uk are advertising EVA London to Bangkok price GBP 884.00

when I asked if I could start the trip at Bangkok the price changed to GBP 1497.00

Amazing

I regularaly fly either emirates or eva ,both have really good staff ,i have only once flown BA and stopped even looking at them when they did those stupid paintings on the tails instead of the British flag ,still not being rich enough to fly buisness class i do find the plastic seats a little hard in the storage compt that they put me in ,in the belly of the plane.smile.png

Well try a seat inside the plane, you can't see the paintings there............rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Flying in June...... "Pat"

With a garden the size of mine I am never bored.....exhausted yes

But always like to plan and book my flights in good time

I hope that didn't bore you whistling.gif

While I am on the "original" subject

flightcentre.co.uk are advertising EVA London to Bangkok price GBP 884.00

when I asked if I could start the trip at Bangkok the price changed to GBP 1497.00

Amazing

Haha, good stuff. June isn't too far off.

I'm planning to go to the UK in August, but nothing is certain, so no point in planning anything yet. My first choice will be Eva Air, depends on price though as August is an expensive month to fly.

In the past I've thought if doing a stop off and having a look around somwhere new but was never convinced in reality if it was a good idea. Airlines can bump up the price too if you want to say spend a night or 2 in the stop off location, I think they see it as two entirely seperate journeys, if you know what I mean.

I have just spoken to e-bookers......they have British Airways (fancy tail colours as well)

Bkk to LHR Premium Class GBP 926.65 return

or

Bkk to LHR....out

LHR to BKK via Hong Kong GBP 964.00

So I asked the question "can I split the flight back and stay in Hong Kong for 3 nights....

There suggestion was....again with BA......

Out as normal Bkk to LHR......Return flight ......LHR to HK ......price GBP 1175.00

Then Cathay Pacific HK to Bkk single GBP 106.00 economy

Total GBP 1281.00

Still cheaper than EVA.............

So an option