Samut Prakan: At least two workers killed, several others injured in building collapse

webfact

ACCIDENT
10 killed in construction-site collapse

THIRAPON KHUMSUK
THE NATION

30227831-01_big.jpg?1393370171571

BANGKOK: -- A CONCRETE structure at a medical institute's construction site partially collapsed in Samut Prakan's Bang Phli district yesterday, killing 10 labourers and injuring 16 others.

Search operations involving sniffer dogs were continuing as of press time in a bid to locate survivors who may be trapped under the concrete.

At the time of the accident, some 30 workers were having their lunch under a structure that was designed as an elevated corridor linking two buildings. The concrete slab forming the base of structure was about 20 metres wide and 15 metres long.

"The slab broke in the middle after something from an elevator zone fell and crashed onto it," said Bang Phli district chief Wiwat Chantanurak.

Some of those killed were workers from Cambodia and Myanmar, with one of them as young as 15.

The construction work is part of the Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital's Bt10-billion mega-project.

Under the project, the Chakri Naruebodindra Medical Institute will be established as a key state-run hospital for patients in Samut Prakan and nearby eastern provinces. The project also includes a new campus for the famous medical school.

The Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, which is part of Mahidol University, promised to provide remedial action and compensation to the victims and their families, and to take steps to prevent a recurrence of such an accident.

"The management of the faculty is deeply saddened," it said in its latest statement.

Six victims died at the scene, while four others succumbed to their injuries at the hospital.

According to the statement, cement works from an elevator shaft subsided for an unknown reason, causing the accident.

Italian-Thai Development, a listed company, is in charge of the construction, while ACSE 110 Consortium is the construction supervisor.

"We will investigate the cause of the accident," the hospital said.

Samut Prakan Governor Kanit Eamrahong declared the construction site a danger zone, and only those authorised to do so are now allowed to enter the area. "Officials are investigating the blueprints," he said.

The Labour Protection and Welfare Department is looking into the matter, to ensure remedial action and compensation for affected workers and their families.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zdCVY1MIjec

[thenation]2014-02-26[/thenation]

My condolences to the families.   Unfortunately these things happen, and they seem to happen more frequently in Asia.   Thailand seems to have been better with the safety aspect in the past several years.

I hope the families receive appropriate compensation.

Quote “The slab broke in the middle after something from an elevator zone fell and crashed onto it," said Bang Phli district chief Wiwat Chantanurak.

The only thing that would do that sought of damage would be the likes of building materials dislodging during a lift or a counter-weight broke free from the hammer head crane above. Either way it’s still a serious safety breach.

Edited by MK1

It's quite normal for casualty figures to be adjusted, especially when the bodies are not lined up neatly to be counted. That has nothing to do with "Thai reporting", even if saying that gives you pleasure.

Concrete building safety relies on three major factors: A huge safety margin during the design of structure as well as the choice of concrete; a reliable cheating factor by the concrete supplier (i.e. delivering no worse than say 2 grades below specifications); and proper site work as per guidelines.

Worst case, the contractor with the cheapest offer minimized the engineering safety margin, the concrete supplier cheated more than usual on the grade, someone rushed work on foundations or other structures. Add to that the intrinsic danger of people gathering under an active work site and you get this.

This happens everywhere, but the difference is the consequences after such disasters. And we know what will (not) happen here. And that, if not particularly Thai, is still one of the hallmarks of a society of institutionalized corruption.

back in 2012 I did a project topic on corporate social and environmental responsibility (CSER) and do agree that Asia lacks behind N. America and Europe.

"Some of those killed were workers from Cambodia and Myanmar, with one of them as young as 15.

The construction work is part of the Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital's Bt10-billion mega-project.

Under the project, the Chakri Naruebodindra Medical Institute will be established as a key state-run hospital for patients in Samut Prakan and nearby eastern provinces. The project also includes a new campus for the famous medical school.

The Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, which is part of Mahidol University, promised to provide remedial action and compensation to the victims and their families, and to take steps to prevent a recurrence of such an accident.

"The management of the faculty is deeply saddened," it said in its latest statement."

Deeply deeply embarrassing I would have thought, considering who is the owner of the project.

• 5 months later...

As a construction worker myself I can tell u it's not a only a Thai thing . It happens allover the world including in western countries .

Miscalculations by engineers happen , greed by contractors , inexperienced constructionworkers , there are many reasons why accidents happen on constructionsites .

We as constructionworkers know the danger on the job .

I myself got lucky on several occasions , some colleages didn't .

R.I.P. mates

Definately  NOT  in Australia. Building codes are very very strict, and standards very high.