Gmail?

Majreno

What happened to gmail - all my accounts are locked and want password from tunderbird imap but won't work

login on line and it wants my phone number thing but won't accept anything - can't get answers from them can't log in no matter what

lost 100% of all accounts and and no way to get them to answer anything.

hosed to the max by gmail

Not a lock down at sector 4

nothing works to resolve - no other PC OS etc works all the same issue is at the account

None of these are used in business only a few personnal vary small volume accounts.

it just wants me to reenter password on all of them then asks again and again - broke

Online that stupid sms let us data mine your phone number BS fails also - it won't accept what I was forced to give them in the past even if it still provides the proper hint - so I assume they have an issue but if it is just me then it will never get fixed and it effact 4 differant account the same way.

I guess if it is not just simply working again in 24 hours then I change providers and spend a week notify the world of new addresses.

That's odd that this happened to multiple accounts at the same time. I used to get that password prompt in Thunderbird all the time, but it showed there were 'to many simultaneous connections'. Turned out both tbird and my phone were both creating multiple sockets which were not terminating properly, I set something in tbird to limit the number of simultaneous connections and the problem disappeared. There is one other thing you can try of it doesn't resolve itself

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/183733?hl=en

BTW, you do not HAVE to provide a mobile number, they just trick you into thinking you do when you are frustrated, there is always an option to skip that if you look carefully

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus SlimKat using Tapatalk

Edited by dharmabm

I set up the step 2 online a long time ago and have the notes in my black book - the hint matchs but the option does not work - it still fails to open the account and that system also loops.

I cleared everything and have used several OS's and differant PC's linux etc - does the same thing and seems vary sourced at gmail it self - my accounts are locked it would seem. I hate having to change all my accounts but it can be done. Yes it did start on 4 accounts all at the same time. My linux laptop had not been online or run for over two weeks and it came up doing the same thing - nothing else on lan was up when I started it - don't think it is a local problem unless they are keying on my dtac connection as a problem for them.

I can alway make new gmail accounts, but they seem to be getting out of control with all this crap. If I do I will use other then cell numbers for step 2. Thanks

I get busy doing other stuff and open googlemaps. It presents me with a red bar stating someone is trying to open my account and names one of the four accounts. I have never signed into google other then those emails before, don't use play, google+ or anything other then a few email accounts never have, but it asked it I would like to change the password - I say ok sure and it takes my old passwork to that account and allows me to assign a new onw plus do the step 2 BS. Bing I can log into that one again online.

So I open tbird and the other accounts are working again but not the one I changed the password on. I go online and check that account and imap and everything is good I can log in online but cannot get imap to work with new password - all the other accounts have gone back to normal and working imap as well as online but that one works online only even if the imap checks out and I entered the new password when requested. gmail just getting blowted code and out of control I think. they got bugs.

Just in case I am going to be getting some back up accounts going - I doubt they will get better before worse.

Thunderbird IS NOT compatible with google gmail 2-step authentication. But there is a workaround.**

The reason all the accounts are down is because google's security sentinel software has registered failed password entries and has temporarily blacklisted that IP address. Any attempts, from any browser, on any OS, on any device utilizing that IP address will automatically be rejected for a period of time.

** If you want to use Thunderbird to access your gmail accounts via POP3/SMTP or IMAP you will need to disable 2-step authentication on those accounts

... OR keep 2-step enabled and use Google Security Center settings Application-specific passwords to create a 1-step authentication alternate password for use in applications that are not 2-step compatible

• Like 1

Thunderbird IS NOT compatible with google gmail 2-step authentication. But there is a workaround.**

The reason all the accounts are down is because google's security sentinel software has registered failed password entries and has temporarily blacklisted that IP address. Any attempts, from any browser, on any OS, on any device utilizing that IP address will automatically be rejected for a period of time.

** If you want to use Thunderbird to access your gmail accounts via POP3/SMTP or IMAP you will need to disable 2-step authentication on those accounts

... OR keep 2-step enabled and use Google Security Center settings Application-specific passwords to create a 1-step authentication alternate password for use in applications that are not 2-step compatible

Lets be stright - thunderbird was working fine until today - it is google that is not compatible.

I turned off step2 completely in all accounts and none work at all from thunderbird still - if I use step 2 and device varify passwords I can make one account work and the others closed - start over and get another accout but then the first is closed again - I don't know but this is not ready for prime time and I never had any of this problem until today - the whole day wasted following endless links that solve nothing - I am stuck with online accounts until I move everything out of google.

They at google do realize some people still have multi PC's on a LAN and not everyone is on some stupid not so smart phone using thumbs to type on a sheet of pastic. I can't wait to see I will have to deal with a load of crap everytime I switch on some other device.

The best way to solve a problem is to not have one - google is a problem - so its gone.

I'm confused. You can access your accounts via web, but not with Thunderbird, or are you locked out of web mail too?

If it's just Thunderbird, I'd turn off all machines that access Gmail, wait a few minutes, and try again, starting only one machine that uses Thunderbird. You might have a machine that won't release a socket session.

Also when you access Gmail via web, there's a place to check "enable IMAP." I wonder if it's possible for google to screw that up and disable it? (Long shot, I know.)

If those all fail, I'd turn off all of my machines and take my laptop to a place that has free wifi and try from there. You'd get a different IP to test if your IP is temporarily blocked.

Good luck.

Have had many users/clients who love their Thunderbird and gmail via IMAP.

Sometimes Thunderbird will have a corrupt account database and no amount of retyping the password will allow a completed connection. The quick fix is to open Thunderbird and disable the broken account and create a new one, and once working then move any thunderbird-only files/folders from the old account into the new account.

Other times it's caused by something on google's end.

The only way to verify if it's an issue with your Thunderbird client software or a POP3-SMTP/IMAP/MS_Exchange authentication system would be to test using a different email client software that uses the same user/pass login authentication system and set up an account with your credentials and log in.

I fired up my linux laptop using thunderbird with all other PC shut down and only a connection to the internet and it came up acting the same as all the others - it is at google and it maybe is just my accounts - the whole thing makes no sense at all - what it does, what I can do, and there is no way both linux and windows on four differant pc's that always worked fine until today just simple all start acting the same - the fact that some others are not having the problem only makes it harder to understand - I know I am sick of it already.

I rebuild every account and everything still it acts stupid. I am using PC's not smart phone over an aircard with router - right now I can log in online and all accouts work fine from browser now. The only accout that works in thunderbird is the last one I logged out of online.

I tried one more thing after I noticed an accout was working in thunderbird and others closed again - If I go online log into another account and log out again - that one starts working in thunderbird and the others will not accept passwords. 2 step is disablabled on all accounts. It has to be at their end - but I have no idea how to fix it. The last account used online always works in thunderbird and the others stop working - I can swtich the working thunderbird account by going online and logging in and out off the account I want to work in thunderbird and do nothing to thunderbird to make it happen - strange.

I always loved having thunderbird and imap - I will miss this if its not working - it is one of the worse things that could have happened.

The only thing I did before this happened was cancel my true aircard sim and start using only dtac, but I don't see anyway that would have a thing to do with it. They both worked the same before.

I know I should and have said I will just forget about it but it is like one of those things you just keep coming back with one more thing to try - I am tapped.

Well well well today thunderbird works fine again - last night when I was done chasing my tail the app and accounts were back to where I had started - the way they always worked before - even if only one account at a time would function and now today all accounts - so far - are working again like they should and did in the past.

I think they at gmail had some kind of auth server fault or overload that lasted a long time and got better during the day - changing from no account to online account working then on to last used account online would see auth fast enough to be working in thunderbird.

I think it was timing out to fast on sign in from apps. sending password fail before it should have for no reason and even fail a retry. Entering a password would fail before it had a chance with their server and start making unauth faults that were not real. - google auth server was maybe slow or broken in some way.

Glad to hear it's back up and working for you.

Great work on the diagnostic process. That's the way to do it.

Yea, the whole issue sounds strange. ...and especially so as other TV'ers hadn't reported similar issues (but then they may not be reading sequential gmail accounts via client software).

You're probably right that the issue was on Google's authentication server.

Still, don't dismiss the possibility that it has something to do with your 3G service. I would try to give an example but I can't think of any scenario where only the last web auth'd account would be validated for IMAP auth, but then invalidated as another web auth'd account is validated. The only thing the accounts had in common would be IP and PORT communication, ISP, Country_of_origination, client making the request, and, as NeverSure suggested, open/stuck sockets. Oh, the Google auth servers.

So, that leaves the outlandish scenarios: The NSA locking your email account so they have time to make their copies; Some dastardly person trying to drive you mad so they can have you committed and take over your estate; Ghosts in the machine ...maybe it's time to have the monks over.

Edited by RichCor
  • Like 1

dam_n it is doing it again after working all day.

I can't fix something I have no control over and there are no humans working a gmail that give a damn if it works or not.

Guess I am changing accounts after all.

Edited by Majreno

while i sympathize with your problem, i think maybe you need to look at your computer (or computers) as a possible cause. personally, i would try only using my linux machine and see if it works consistently. second, i would immediately change all passwords on all gmail accounts, just in case. as i said before, i have 4 gmail accounts running all day in tbird (and 2 of those running 24/7 in claws mail on linux) and have not had any issues with authentication, so i find it hard to believe that gmail is the source of the problem. how many computers do you use tbird on? use the process of elimination to discover which client is causing the lockout - your situation is one that i have never seen before, and i have supported clients using gmail (in addition to my own use) since gmail first existed, and i have never heard of anything like this. my best guess is that one of your machines is compromised and is causing the lockouts. just a guess as i cannot investigate beyond what you are telling us, but a pretty educated guess nonetheless.

Edited by dharmabm
  • Like 1