Agoda discriminating non-Thai speakers!

chr1st1an

I recently compared prices on Agoda in TH vs EN and realized that English speakers usually pay more!! <deleted>!

Reason enough not to book through them anymore. I am a member of HotelQuickly and I wouldn't want to miss that app, so much cheaper than anything on Agoda (even cheaper than their TH price haha)

post-203416-0-40546100-1393519965_thumb.

post-203416-0-70525600-1393519975_thumb.

• Like 2

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would book in TH (and I would have booked in TH in the past, too), but I didn't know! Agoda is just trying to make more money off foreigners. Farang prices, doesn't even stop with large companies like Agoda bah.gif

Agoda does not do anything. Hotels set prices and have full control of pricing and availability.

• Like 1

It's worth mentioning there are a lot of tight people on here

Hey it's no joking matter. There is $2-$3 dollar price difference, its the scam of the yearw00t.gif

I travel often, so it does make a difference. And calculate it on agoda's overall booking volume, it must make 100s of thousands of $$ per year by cheating EN speakers

I would book in TH (and I would have booked in TH in the past, too), but I didn't know! Agoda is just trying to make more money off foreigners. Farang prices, doesn't even stop with large companies like Agoda bah.gif

Agoda does not do anything. Hotels set prices and have full control of pricing and availability.

Agoda has it's "best price guarantee" (joke in itself already) - how can they guarantee me to get the best deal when at the same time they sell the same room cheaper in a different language?!

AGAIN for the second time, Agoda does not set anything, Hotels have full control over pricing

• Like 2

Agoda has been a ripoff all the time, they pretend that you save 50% on early bookings. But when you include the taxes it's the same price as all other online companies offer.

Several times in Thailand I got a better price by contacting the hotel directly .

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

It's worth mentioning there are a lot of tight people on here

Hey it's no joking matter. There is $2-$3 dollar price difference, its the scam of the yearw00t.gif

I travel often, so it does make a difference. And calculate it on agoda's overall booking volume, it must make 100s of thousands of $$ per year by cheating EN speakers

Yeah you big traveler, $2 really breaks the bankblink.png

Tell me again, how you arrive at thousands of dollars when if you were to hypothetically stay in hotel 365 days per year, your total loss would be $2 x 365

But you right, it may cost you extra $100 per year and it is most certainly crime of the century.

You should sue them for discrimination and fraud.

Try reading before you answer!

1/ It is not 2, but 3 dollars, you are 50% off.

2/ Op did not say thousands of dollars, but 100s of thousands.

3/ No not for the Op, for Agoda.

4/ Agoda's "best price garantee" means "best price garantee", in any language.

• Like 2

Knowing Thailand you would never book in advance, you just go where you like to go and find a nice place to stay. Thais do it, why you don't?

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

Yes, if you are travelling a l'improviste, it is fun to just check out hotels when you get there.

But when I have a precise plan, I find it cheaper and convenient (reviews!) to book through a booking site.

Usually I use booking.com, occasionally Agoda - but I have always hated their last moment add ons, and now I read in this tread that they have different prices for different customers.....

Knowing Thailand you would never book in advance, you just go where you like to go and find a nice place to stay. Thais do it, why you don't?

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

It is not as easy as that for some fatfather---

apart from having to drag luggage around--what about arriving late at night after a long flight--going to places like Cha-Am--getting there - then touring around the area comparing hotels--when all I want to do is get my head down ASAP --and for better or worse--things sometimes look different in daylight-- also would be more difficult for a 1st timer { not me }

Thai people would most likely turn up in their vehicle sometime during the day and take as long as they want to decide

But that's just me wai2.gif

• Like 1

The difference in the price of this particular room is created by the discount on the normal room price. On the english site the discount is 40%, on the thai site it's 44.42%.

Outcome is still the same of course .... cheaper to book on one than the other.

Try understanding what you read and it that fails, look the picturesrolleyes.gif

Price difference between english and thai versions is $2-$3 DOH

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

Yes, if you are travelling a l'improviste, it is fun to just check out hotels when you get there.

But when I have a precise plan, I find it cheaper and convenient (reviews!) to book through a booking site.

Usually I use booking.com, occasionally Agoda - but I have always hated their last moment add ons, and now I read in this tread that they have different prices for different customers.....

cheesy.gif You actually rely on reviews?cheesy.gif

What are their last moment add ons?whistling.gif taxes?

Good to see yet another experienced travelerrolleyes.gif

I tried to reproduce the price difference pointed out by the OP, tried 5 hotels but the price was always the same in English and Thai...

Can anyone reproduce this?

Because its not Agoda who sets the prices but the hotel itself.

Some hotels would offer different pricing for different regions.

Some will block out some regions alltogether

Maybe knowing that Thais in general earn less that westerners, Agoda is trying to give something back to the community?

Bottom line if you don't speak the local language you are fair game.

Dear OP, Please write to your mother and tell her the world is not fair!whistling.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

If there's any price differential it will have nothing to do with Agoda as has been rightly said before, the hotels themselves set the prices, terms and conditions, not Agoda.

Agoda often offer promotions to its hotel clients and it's up to them if they want to participate or not.

It is not discrimination by Agoda, if anything it is discrimination by the hotels which offer a different price for the Thai website.

Agoda themselves have no reason to offer discounts for country specific websites as they would only be reducing their actual commission.

However, it may be worth someone mentioning this as it does not look good for them and they should be aware.

I use Agoda both as a hotel client and as a booker and do recommend them. I have found their customer service superior to its rivals, even though I don't particularly like the rate they show which is exclusive of taxes and service.

And a note to everyone that doesn't know: ignore the struck-out rack rate on all hotel sites. It is often just made up!

• Like 2

Agoda has it's "best price guarantee" (joke in itself already) - how can they guarantee me to get the best deal when at the same time they sell the same room cheaper in a different language?!

On two occasions I found out too late, that the walk-in over the counter price of a hotel was more expensive than the agoda quoted price.

Too late, because me, too, didn't believe in Agoda's 'best price' policy.

I can assure you, they carry this slogan rightfully.

Try understanding what you read and it that fails, look the picturesrolleyes.gif

Price difference between english and thai versions is $2-$3 DOH

Thank you sir, I followed your advise and read again, thought again, calculated again.

The difference in the screen picture was 1,363.64 - 1,263.18 = 100.46 baht, or THREE dollars, NOT 2 dollars.

Now let's move on to my comments 2, 3 and 4.

PS. Surely you have been told before that alcohol makes you argumentative and rude (in several posts)?

It did occur to me that Thai will use Thai credit cards and non-Thai probably non-Thai credit cards, Maybe there is a small hidden (read the small print) for that or it is to cover discrepancies in exchange rate calculations.