Myanmar fortune-teller predicts an end to Thailand's political crisis

webfact

FORTUNE TELLING
Myanmar fortune-teller predicts an end to crisis

Onravee Tangmeesang
The Nation
Myanmar

30228092-01_big.gif?1393628882388
Famous fortune-teller San Zarni Bo poses for a picture at his home in Yangon.

PDRC and govt tipped to do a deal later this month, but San Zarni Bo will not say if he has met Pojaman

BANGKOK: -- San Zarni Bo was evasive when asked if Thaksin Shinawatra's former wife Pojaman had flown to Myanmar and consulted him about her fate. The famous fortune-teller appeared to be confident, however, about what he foresees in the near future for Thailand.

He even gave specific dates for predictions of what lies ahead. "Leaders of the protesters or government officials will make a speech. They will make some kind of agreements between February 27 and March 3," San Zarni Bo predicted from his home. The former political prisoner described these agreements as a "cease-fire".

The political crisis has claimed 20 lives and seen more than 700 people injured since it erupted in Bangkok late last year.

San Zarni Bo's prediction has gained more weight after People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) secretary general Suthep Thaugsuban challenged the caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Thursday to one-on-one talks, broadcast live on TV, in a bid to end the political deadlock.

The fortune-teller suggested that the ongoing crisis in Thailand would end through negotiations that will start from March 3.

"Between March 12 and March 27, the political processing, the speech on the table will be quite all right," he predicted, "Then on March 27, everything will be in good order again."

The astrologer strongly hinted at some form of accommodation among key players. He ruled out scenarios in which a military coup may occur, in which the current Thai government steps down, and also in which anti-government demonstrators face a defeat.

The PDRC has staged massive rallies against the Yingluck government and her so-called "Thaksin regime". The protesters accuse former prime minister Thaksin of grave corruption and controlling state mechanisms via his sister.

Thaksin lost power in a coup against his government in late 2006. He has lived largely in self-imposed exile since, but continued to wield huge influence in Thailand.

The ongoing anti-government movement has gained momentum after the House of Representatives - where Thaksin's supporters had a majority - passed an amnesty bill in a questionable manner last November. The bill would have cleared Thaksin of prosecution for political crimes dating back many years, if it had taken effect.

In the face of growing pressure, Yingluck dissolved the House of Representatives on December 9 last year, but has been stuck in a political deadlock, with the protesters having successfully blocked a snap election held on February 2.

In his younger years, San Zarni Bo was himself a student activist. But during the past few decades, he has been a famous astrologer. Many politicians, Thai and Burmese alike, have reportedly sought his guidance.

This man had a good prediction for Thailand.

"There will be a good change," he said.

But what about Thaksin, who is blamed by the PDRC for the ongoing turmoil?

"Nobody will live in exile forever," San Zarni Bo said, in just one brief comment about the former Thai prime minister.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-01

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Fortune tellers are nothing more than scammers preying on the vulnerable.

I wouldn't call Pojamarn particularly vuknerable

Maybe true in some respects but there are plenty of hi-so folks who regularly consult such people, her ex 'husband' being one example.

90% yes, but I've consulted two here with the help of a Thai friend, and one definitely was very accurate the two times I consulted him, and things that could not be easily guessed. Umm except for a foreigner being interested in me (my friend didn't know if by foreigner he meant non-Thai or non-American)... So far no one show up Thai, non-American, or whatever 555+ cheesy.gif But he was accurate on other things, eerily so.

However, I rarely put much stock in most fortune tellers...But I do believe there are some that do have insights... However, I can't see a scenario though where the government does not step down, there is no coup, and the protesters win... It would seem anything less than the government stepping down is a defeat for the protesters, so the first and last of those are mutually contradictory...

If these fortune tellers are so reliable, why wasn't he consulted at the beginning?

'Some sort of accommodation', really? that's a little non-specific.

After the deaths of the children at the weekend, we could all tell which way the wind was blowing.

Lets see if he has answers to these questions:

• Why does he confirm an exact date for the end of the conflict, who will the winners and losers be?
  • Will there be a coup?
  • Will Thaksin ever go to prison? (even I can guess that one)
  • Will Thai people ever become educated enough to stop believing in charlatans?
  • Like 1

If these fortune tellers are so reliable, why wasn't he consulted at the beginning?

After the deaths of the children at the weekend, we could all tell which way the wind was blowing.

• Why does he confirm an exact date for the end of the conflict, who will the winners and losers be?
  • Will there be a coup?

A certain someone has discretely told both sides that enough is enough and please make peace. Right now.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

• Will there be a coup?

A certain someone has discretely told both sides that enough is enough and please make peace. Right now.

Sounds about right

My favourites are the Indian "lucky man' ones.

I am sure they have their own little school in a room somewhere in a back alley.

I very rarely bother with them, but once or twice when I have sat down somewhere for a rest I have put up with them.

I quite enjoy telling them after their scripted bullshit, that I have no money and he should have seen that as he could already see what was ahead.

• Like 1

The fortune teller can of course not outline precise ending results about the current political mishap in Thailand, but he would not be entirely wrong in stating that matters might peacefully end in due course.

Those political matters have been going on here for 4 months without any positive results for any of the two parties which caused severe and extreme street protests disasters.

But Thailand will not carry on their political problems as forceful as in Syria or Ukraine because they do love their country, therefore those political matters will be sorted in due course by both parties in order to save Thailand from such ongoing disasters.

He even gave specific dates for predictions of what lies ahead. "Leaders of the protesters or government officials will make a speech. They will make some kind of agreements between February 27 and March 3," San Zarni Bo predicted from his home. The former political prisoner described these agreements as a "cease-fire".

Ahh... San Zarni an avid reader of the papers. facepalm.gif

• Like 2

This kind of crap is universal (so why imply that only Thais are so "uneducated" as to believe this idiocy?)

For example, Google "Nancy Reagan and numerology" and you will access loads of articles on how Ronnie planned important events in his political life on the say-so of astrologists and numerologists. (It was Reagan, as Governor of California, who allowed astrologists to be given "professional" status, so that they were now a cut above "fortune-tellers").

Also, turn on Bloomberg News or any show that has Wall Street analyst-types predicting the stock market, all day and every day, and (if you strip away their suits and ties) you will find the beaming face of someone just like our man from Myanmar.

• Like 1

Ahh... San Zarni an avid reader of the papers. facepalm.gif

Exactly what I thought, what with today's news of Suthep consolidating the protests at Lumpini Park and saying the focus would now be on Shin businesses and the army chief talking of 'special methods' if things didn't stabilise soon. My 10 year old niece could have made this prediction...

• Like 2

A scammer who read newspapers and know the protesters is ready for negotiation this month. coffee1.gif