Fit in

Somsrisonphimai

When I was a lad I got stabbed by a robber. In the hand luckily. Nasty scar, but lived.

There are a lot of foreigners getting stabbed to death here in Thailand. More and more every week.

I do not want to die from a stabb wound, so yes, I want Thailand to 'fit' in to me on this issue.

Ok, this is off topic but I have another thread saying about avatar/username. Could you go to the thread and explain your username/avatar? How did you come up with them? I am curious to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everything has happened so quickly in the world that a country like Thailand which was behind in the first place, say post WW2, can catch up on some of the physical things quite quickly. But the mindset of the people is much slower to change, people are still to some extent living with the thought that the monarch will step in and make problems disappear, or that they have no power to step in themselves. Only time will change this, a hackneyed saying I know. As I say I can't wait because I think Thailand is unique and could end up with different thai style solutions.

I hope that the teachers from the Western countries teach Thais students critical thinking and application of knowledge so that they can be used to improve Thailand, but on the other hand, it does not matter what type of education they may have or not have, if they lack of moral character and are consumed by greed, the country can be destroyed in the blink of an eye. I feel like I am contradicting with my early post regarding education.

Never mind , its good to hear this from a Thai, they also need to lose the lo-so hi-so malarky.

• Like 1

I was in the military as a young man and my family also traveled a lot. I never accepted one culture as being better than another and first arrived in Thailand barely out of my teens. Now as I approach 100 years of age things haven't changed that much.

I don't insist on pronouncing words in Thailand in a way that feels good to my tongue. I don't insist in living a morality that feels good to my mothers morals. I don't insist on living a religion that feels comfortable to my parents.

Some people find out how smart their parents were as they get older I'm finding out that is not the case. Although well traveled my parents only lived in one country and were quite provincial. To be honest my parents were full of sh**. They were exposed to other cultures but were so busy being judgmental they forgot to learn anything new.

There is a book out called, All I really ned to know I learned in kindergarten. That was the case for my parents and grandparents and school teachers until grad school.

My Western family would not make it in Thailand. A lot of Farang here try to create problems by attacking Thai behavior. I'm trying to understand what it feels like to be Thai.

• Like 2

Are we fitting into Thailand or is it that some thais(and farangs) simply cannot accept anything but their own way. I find that I have all the same dislikes as my thai wife, does this mean she is not fitting in or is it that she is more typical of thai people. The loud music isnt too bad but the fact that when it is loud it is distorted because no one knows how to set the bass/treble ratios, they simply think loud is better. Same with the drivers, its not everyone doing it just those that have no consideration for other people or simply do not know the rules. This actually applies to a lot of things here, some people just dont know any better but that does not make it thai as a lot of thais dont like what they do.

A better question would be "should face mean you always have tp be right and that you should never change what you do" and you would find that a lot of thais simply dont like it, I think most farangs know that they have to accept what happens here, just that we still reserve the right to have a bitch about it exactly the same way we bitch about it in our own countries. I love Thailand and want to stay here so I know I have to accept it but that doesnt mean we have to like it.

Ok, could age has something to do with the complaining? I think the more older you are, the less tolerate you become for certain issues.

actually I have found that I have mellowed a lot as I got older and what used to really p*ss me off is now acceptable but I still cannot readily accept incompetence when it effects/kills others.

I was in the military as a young man and my family also traveled a lot. I never accepted one culture as being better than another and first arrived in Thailand barely out of my teens. Now as I approach 100 years of age things haven't changed that much.

I don't insist on pronouncing words in Thailand in a way that feels good to my tongue. I don't insist in living a morality that feels good to my mothers morals. I don't insist on living a religion that feels comfortable to my parents.

Some people find out how smart their parents were as they get older I'm finding out that is not the case. Although well traveled my parents only lived in one country and were quite provincial. To be honest my parents were full of sh**. They were exposed to other cultures but were so busy being judgmental they forgot to learn anything new.

There is a book out called, All I really ned to know I learned in kindergarten. That was the case for my parents and grandparents and school teachers until grad school.

My Western family would not make it in Thailand. A lot of Farang here try to create problems by attacking Thai behavior. I'm trying to understand what it feels like to be Thai.

Although I see many things wrong about Thailand, I feel pride and proud to be Thai. What about you? What it feels like to be Canadian? You are from Canada, right?

you are partially right, but you are also wrong. Fitting in does not mean accepting the arrogance and ignorance of many thais especially when we see it effecting many thais as well. When we see the thai men beating up on women should we accept it is their right because they are male or if it is a gang of people bashing a couple, when thais lose face because of something very minor and kill people should we just shrug and say "oh well, thats just being thai". I accept everyone for who they are, nationality makes no difference, I dont consider anyone less than me but many thais do, they consider everyone below them, doesnt matter how much we try to fit in if they consider us beneath them we never will. Education is one way to fix it, with better teaching practices and an honest look at the world, not the current methods they use now, the country is trying to be in the 21st century but many people are still wanting to be last century and even earlier to the feudal times in some cases.

Everything has happened so quickly in the world that a country like Thailand which was behind in the first place, say post WW2, can catch up on some of the physical things quite quickly. But the mindset of the people is much slower to change, people are still to some extent living with the thought that the monarch will step in and make problems disappear, or that they have no power to step in themselves. Only time will change this, a hackneyed saying I know. As I say I can't wait because I think Thailand is unique and could end up with different thai style solutions.

I hope that the teachers from the Western countries teach Thais students critical thinking and application of knowledge so that they can be used to improve Thailand, but on the other hand, it does not matter what type of education they may have or not have, if they lack of moral character and are consumed by greed, the country can be destroyed in the blink of an eye. I feel like I am contradicting with my early post regarding education.

Never mind , its good to hear this from a Thai, they also need to lose the lo-so hi-so malarky.

And resident farangs need to loose their air of superiority over the natives, why so against the lo-so hi-so, thing ? someone is always going to be on the top of dung heap and others on the bottom even communist states have their elites

• Like 2

Although I see many things wrong about Thailand, I feel pride and proud to be Thai. What about you? What it feels like to be Canadian? You are from Canada, right?

I dropped the nationality game around 1968. I don't feel proud to be any nationality or race or color or creed. I saw enough Thai, American, Australian, Korean and Vietnamese soldiers to know one can never be proud of a nationality. One of the biggest causes of causalities in the American Civil war was social diseases. One of the biggest causes of causalities of the Vietnam war was accidents. So, I'm not saying anything about moral rights or wrongs. War is just stupid. KFC was gonna get there anyway.

With just Thai women in mind, I think that it's a double-edged sword - a lot of fella's wives don't stop whinging and whining about wanting money off of them (the husband) - so the woman must tolerate and humor their husband's hanging around their skirt, whinging whining about everything which the OP has stated, too.

Well I am Canadian and if you ever want to see someone bitch about a place listen to me when I get going about Canada. As most know I am a single guy (soon to not be :) ! ) Why should I work 28 days offshore in another country and just because I used to spend 6 months a year there be expected to pay 43% Income Tax. That money goes to people who have no desire to work and schools where I don't have kids. So much of my money is wasted by the Canadian government I would vomit if I knew how much and where it went.

Thailand is a safe haven for me and I though things can irk a guy I would never bash it like I do my own country or like some of the grumpy fella's do that are here.

• Like 2

I dropped the nationality game around 1968. I don't feel proud to be any nationality or race or color or creed. I saw enough Thai, American, Australian, Korean and Vietnamese soldiers to know one can never be proud of a nationality. One of the biggest causes of causalities in the American Civil war was social diseases. One of the biggest causes of causalities of the Vietnam war was accidents. So, I'm not saying anything about moral rights or wrongs. War is just stupid. KFC was gonna get there anyway.

So you are a man with no country then, correct?

I don't need KFC, I have gai ping on a street vendors.

you are partially right, but you are also wrong. Fitting in does not mean accepting the arrogance and ignorance of many thais especially when we see it effecting many thais as well. When we see the thai men beating up on women should we accept it is their right because they are male or if it is a gang of people bashing a couple, when thais lose face because of something very minor and kill people should we just shrug and say "oh well, thats just being thai". I accept everyone for who they are, nationality makes no difference, I dont consider anyone less than me but many thais do, they consider everyone below them, doesnt matter how much we try to fit in if they consider us beneath them we never will. Education is one way to fix it, with better teaching practices and an honest look at the world, not the current methods they use now, the country is trying to be in the 21st century but many people are still wanting to be last century and even earlier to the feudal times in some cases.

I like this South East Asia. Of the countries in the neighborhood Thailand is the only one that I could live in. Thailand is far superior to it's neighbors (Laos, Burma, Cambodia) by any measure I can think of. You are judging me by saying I am partially right and partially wrong. I'm not judging Thailand. I have met Thai people who think they are superior to me and also inferior to me and those who don't care. Education needs to match the needs of the economy of the country, which now it does not. "A flood of graduates has swamped the labour market because the government lacks a plan to produce quality personnel for specifically targeted areas of need in Thailand’s labour market."

http://blog.nationmultimedia.com/print.php?id=2435

I think concentration on the basics instead of the bs would go a long way to providing the technical people Thailand needs. Thailand is not going to send a man to the moon or design a new jet airliner anyway.

Simple things like plumbing and electrical work as opposed to critical thinking about philosophical issues that are only discussed by high school dropouts on internet forums anyway.

Do you think anyone will remember Ban Ki-Moon was a Korean when he dies? In that sense I am a man without a country. The Vietnam war was about KFC, Pizza Hut and MacDonald's opening in Hanoi. I think this year all three will be open. Do you have any idea how many people died for that deal?

2014. American Business finally begins the occupation of North Vietnam. Do you know how many 7/11's are in Thailand? There are almost 4000 in Bangkok alone. Look at what Hanoi is missing.

You do know that Thai men fought and died so America could open business in North Vietnam? How smart is that?

Well I am Canadian and if you ever want to see someone bitch about a place listen to me when I get going about Canada. As most know I am a single guy (soon to not be :) ! ) Why should I work 28 days offshore in another country and just because I used to spend 6 months a year there be expected to pay 43% Income Tax. That money goes to people who have no desire to work and schools where I don't have kids. So much of my money is wasted by the Canadian government I would vomit if I knew how much and where it went.

Thailand is a safe haven for me and I though things can irk a guy I would never bash it like I do my own country or like some of the grumpy fella's do that are here.

43% in income tax? That is crazy!

Do you think anyone will remember Ban Ki-Moon was a Korean when he dies? In that sense I am a man without a country. The Vietnam war was about KFC, Pizza Hut and MacDonald's opening in Hanoi. I think this year all three will be open. Do you have any idea how many people died for that deal?

2014. American Business finally begins the occupation of North Vietnam. Do you know how many 7/11's are in Thailand? There are almost 4000 in Bangkok alone. Look at what Hanoi is missing.

You do know that Thai men fought and died so America could open business in North Vietnam? How smart is that?

No I don't know any of those you mentioned. I believe I was still in the air and my mom and dad had not met each other yet during the Vietnam War.

Edited by Somsrisonphimai

No I don't know any of those you mentioned. I believe I was still in the air and my mom and dad had not met each other during the Vietnam War.

I meant, did you know that Thailand fought for America during the Vietnam war and benefited greatly from that association. Many thousands of American troops were stationed all over Thailand for 15 years (not R&R) and built the infrastructure that jump started Thailand's industry in the 1970's. They even started some of the trade schools that still supply Thai industry today.

By early 1966, over 200 American combat aircraft were based on Thai soil, with a complement of over 9,000 USAF personnel. By the end of the year, there were over 400 planes and nearly 25,000 men. The capstone of this rapid build-up was the construction of the supposedly secret B-52 air base at Utapao, near Sattahip, south of Bangkok. Completed in spring 1966, it was the sixth base built by the US military in Thailand since 1960. It was also the most important and expensive. Construction of the base cost nearly $US 40 million, and required the labour of 25,000 American servicemen and 2,000 Thais.

http://journals.hil.unb.ca/index.php/jcs/article/view/292/465

Did all of those Americans fit it? Yup. I guess so.

Edited by thailiketoo

No I don't know any of those you mentioned. I believe I was still in the air and my mom and dad had not met each other during the Vietnam War.

I meant, did you know that Thailand fought for America during the Vietnam war and benefited greatly from that association. Many thousands of American troops were stationed all over Thailand for 15 years (not R&R) and built the infrastructure that jump started Thailand's industry in the 1970's. They even started some of the trade schools that still supply Thai industry today.

By early 1966, over 200 American combat aircraft were based on Thai soil, with a complement of over 9,000 USAF personnel. By the end of the year, there were over 400 planes and nearly 25,000 men. The capstone of this rapid build-up was the construction of the supposedly secret B-52 air base at Utapao, near Sattahip, south of Bangkok. Completed in spring 1966, it was the sixth base built by the US military in Thailand since 1960. It was also the most important and expensive. Construction of the base cost nearly $US 40 million, and required the labour of 25,000 American servicemen and 2,000 Thais.

Is that how the relationship between farang men and Thai women got started?

I knew that the US built the air runway in Koratch, my province, but I did not know the detail of it. Thank you for educating me on the Vietnam War. I have a lot of google to do for me to have this conversation with you.

Is that how the relationship between farang men and Thai women got started?

I knew that the US built the air runway in Koratch, my province, but I did not know the detail of it. Thank you for educating me on the Vietnam War. I have a lot of google to do for me to have this conversation with you.

Between 1950 and 1975 Thailand received from Washington approximately $US 650 million in economic aid, nearly 75 percent of which was directed toward counter-insurgency activities. A further $US 940 million was ear-marked for Thai defence and security, averaging annually over 50 percent of Bangkok's own expenditures on its armed forces. On top of this, an additional $US 760 million was paid out by Washington in operating costs, including the purchase of military equipment for Thailand and the payment of Thai troops serving in Vietnam. For the construction of air bases in Thailand, the US paid out $US 250 million, while American servicemen stationed in the country and those on leave from Vietnam pumped into the Thai economy another $US 850 million. With over $US 2 billion in total assistance from Washington just between 1965 and 1975.

If you convert the above to Thai baht today that's a whole bunch of money.

Many soldiers; American, Australian and even British met women in Thailand during the 1960's and 70's as the normal tour was a year or more.

Edited by thailiketoo

But it seems to me MANY Thais are too afraid to stand up for fear of death to change their country..........I may be wrong but thats how it seems.

What things make you proud?

• Like 1

Are we fitting into Thailand or is it that some thais(and farangs) simply cannot accept anything but their own way. I find that I have all the same dislikes as my thai wife, does this mean she is not fitting in or is it that she is more typical of thai people. The loud music isnt too bad but the fact that when it is loud it is distorted because no one knows how to set the bass/treble ratios, they simply think loud is better. Same with the drivers, its not everyone doing it just those that have no consideration for other people or simply do not know the rules. This actually applies to a lot of things here, some people just dont know any better but that does not make it thai as a lot of thais dont like what they do.

A better question would be "should face mean you always have tp be right and that you should never change what you do" and you would find that a lot of thais simply dont like it, I think most farangs know that they have to accept what happens here, just that we still reserve the right to have a bitch about it exactly the same way we bitch about it in our own countries. I love Thailand and want to stay here so I know I have to accept it but that doesnt mean we have to like it.

Ok, could age has something to do with the complaining? I think the more older you are, the less tolerate you become for certain issues.

I find just the opposite. The older I get, the less I am concerned with the small irritants of life.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Go with the flow, there're some things that need to change, such as corruption etc which I think would improve the country but it is not my position to suggest such things. I view everything as different not wrong & don't let it make me mad

It is kind of fitting in then, right?

Soms - if that's you in the pic I want to know if you're a naughty lady or goody, goody? My vote is naughty lady.

But it seems to me MANY Thais are too afraid to stand up for fear of death to change their country..........I may be wrong but thats how it seems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thammasat_University_massacre

The unofficial estimate of over 100 dead, by anonymous sources at the Chinese Benevolent Association (which disposed of the bodies),[4] was later accepted by the Washington Post (in 2001

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Thai_political_protests

• 10 April 2010: Troops try to clear protesters; 25 people are killed and hundreds injured
  • 22 April 2010: Grenade blasts kill one and injure 85 near protest hub; each side blames the other
  • 28 April 2010: Policeman shot in clashes in northern Bangkok[53]
  • 13–17 May 2010: 36 killed in Bangkok clashes[54]

When I was a lad I got stabbed by a robber. In the hand luckily. Nasty scar, but lived.

There are a lot of foreigners getting stabbed to death here in Thailand. More and more every week.

I do not want to die from a stabb wound, so yes, I want Thailand to 'fit' in to me on this issue.

Ok, this is off topic but I have another thread saying about avatar/username. Could you go to the thread and explain your username/avatar? How did you come up with them? I am curious to know.

From the classic film "Animal House"

RIP Harold Ramis

Edited by wym
  • Like 1

Soms - if that's you in the pic I want to know if you're a naughty lady or goody, goody? My vote is naughty lady.

AKA Madonna/whore complex.

Not an either/or thing is it?

Unless you define those (silly) terms, but doing so will quickly expose your social programming about what women are "supposed to be" like to qualify as being a "good girl".

Upper East side of Manhattan, very different from downtown Riyadh.

Yep as a visitor is thier country I'm just expected to bend over, gently part my bumcheeks and take it...not allowed to complain.

Umm...no, complaints are not allowed, 555. When you are in Rome, do what the Roman does.

LOL, sure, what a Roman does....

Thailand has good things, and not so good things.

But if one thing, that Thailand doesnt allow farangs to trully fit in.

So, can try as much as you want, you wont.

But love the sentiment of the OP, and those who share it. :)

• Like 1