Do you know of any snobbish ppl that think a picture's worth is just based on artistic look alone

I know of this guy on whatsapp and a forum. Anyway he's some type of graphic designer or something to do with designing stuff so i suppose he has some artistic talent in taking pictures.

Anyway me and a few people i know on whatsapp we share pictures of the places we been to or just pictures that interest us. Just like in this section we can simply post pictures of anything we see in thailand.

This guy is really anal in the sense that he takes his pictures on his cell phone camera an iphone 5 i believe and uses those stupid photo edit/filter apps that are flooding the app store to edit the hell out of his pictures. You know like putting warm colors into the picture and some ppl think it makes the picture look nicer. So almost all his pictures are those of the artistic kind and not just normal regular pictures. So when i share my pictures on whatsapp and you know whatsapp cuts down on the size of the picture till its really small and of course the details are reduced but the picture still more or less looks the same on a cell phone screen. So when i share my pictures with him he tells me your pictures suck. Not as if they are blur or anything but they aren't edited with those software to give that dumb artistic look they are just regular pictures you take and then send no editing.

If he took the pics using a dslr in raw and then edited them with a pc then yeah perhaps he has a right to judge my pictures. When you take it on a cell phone and not even a regular digi cam and then edit it with stupid iphone apps you don't have a right to say anything. When i copy his pictures to my pc and see them they look bad.

Ahhh. He is definitely one I can relate, though I take my photos if any using any camera but would never belittle anyone elses. However being a designer, I'll criticize another's work at the first glance if not treated right. Only hold back to friends. This guy can easily read IS NOT a friend.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

i believe your snapshots are only of inherent worth to you or people you know.

if viewing the images of strangers, i tend to view only those who have made some sort of attempt to present them with imagination.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 1

i believe your snapshots are only of inherent worth to you or people you know.

if viewing the images of strangers, i tend to view only those who have made some sort of attempt to present them with imagination.

A good analysis.

<deleted>.......Just tell him he is a <deleted> for belittling other peoples images,block him and get on with your life !!!

Failing that,invite him to this forum and let the 'big guns' on here show him what photos should look like.

Nah,second thoughts......just <deleted> him off !!!!

• Like 1

My apologies ultimate weapon I forgot to add in my last post that you are more than welcome to share your photos on this forum.

It is full of friendly,experienced and helpful characters......and your images would certainly not be mocked or belittled.

• Like 1

Hello UW. I think what you will find in this forum is a place where we regularly share our photos, experiences, thoughts on equipment, encouragement, and other positive elements. I think our members like that it is a safe place and is free from criticism and attacks.

I encourage you to contribute your images to this forum on a regular basis and you will not experience the criticism that you have on the other forum you mention.

It's always easy to criticize and attack others especially when hidden behind the anonymity of a forum but let's focus on helping each other grow and encouraging each other and leave the negative aspects for the other forums.

• Like 2

A camera is just a tool, some people could carve out a statue with their bare hand and a screwdriver better than others who have the best chisel and hammer available (I'm not implying you here).

I am not implying he is better than you I have not seen any photos, one thing I do know for sure by research and reading photography forums and reviews on lenses and camera models is, photographers and also reviewers can be real bitchy....so many people rush out and buy the new Nikon/Sony/Canon expecting to be the next Ansel Adams, Manny Librodo or Matthew Jordan Smith etc...

I have seen photos took from a pro level Nikon D3X that were far far worse than a lot of shots I have seen taken from 5-6MP point and shoot cameras of 8 years ago.

Fancy out of the box effects/plugins rarely make a good photo, subject, composition, colour and light is king.

You can't polish a turd, post processing is useful but what comes out of the camera is more important.

Don't worry about this guy he sounds like the typical.......erm <deleted> you encounter from time to time.

Photography is a total different ball game than being a graphic designer IMO. Keep up what your doing and enjoy it and push forward, there is no place for negativity unless your in a darkroom with some film.

• Like 1

A camera is just a tool, some people could carve out a statue with their bare hand and a screwdriver better than others who have the best chisel and hammer available (I'm not implying you here).

I am not implying he is better than you I have not seen any photos, one thing I do know for sure by research and reading photography forums and reviews on lenses and camera models is, photographers and also reviewers can be real bitchy....so many people rush out and buy the new Nikon/Sony/Canon expecting to be the next Ansel Adams, Manny Librodo or Matthew Jordan Smith etc...

I have seen photos took from a pro level Nikon D3X that were far far worse than a lot of shots I have seen taken from 5-6MP point and shoot cameras of 8 years ago.

Fancy out of the box effects/plugins rarely make a good photo, subject, composition, colour and light is king.

You can't polish a turd, post processing is useful but what comes out of the camera is more important.

Don't worry about this guy he sounds like the typical.......erm <deleted> you encounter from time to time.

Photography is a total different ball game than being a graphic designer IMO. Keep up what your doing and enjoy it and push forward, there is no place for negativity unless your in a darkroom with some film.

you can see my photos pics of anywhere in thailand right in this section. I didn't show him those pictures but other pictures of me taking food pics and so on. No editing of the pics using a pc or a phone app nothing just as they come.

The pictures are you know regular pictures. You see something you take it. Sure sometimes some angles aren't really good or they don't look artistic because they aren't meant to be they are just normal everyday pictures. He somehow needs to edit all his pictures and puts in all those silly filters etc etc.

Thanks for the advice.