Top Gear Burma/Thailand Special

Boycie

From BBC's official website:

"Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May are on a mission to build a bridge over the River Kwai in Thailand. However, in order to that they must first drive across a country that has been largely closed to Westerners for over 40 years: Burma. [/size]Futhermore, the trio must make this trip in three lorries that have been bought 'sight unseen' from the internet for a limited budget. Unsurprisingly, they are not quite as the trio might have hoped or expected. What follows is an epic journey of beautiful scenery, regular adversity, ongoing malfunction and the constant bickering of three badly dressed buffoons."[/size]

Looking forward to watching it and wondering if they drove from Yangon to Kanchanaburi via Dawei?

Were any members present when they were filming in various parts of Thailand? Got any stories/photos?

Topic running here for Myanmar news/photos.

• Like 2

Brilliant series.

No doubt this episode will be a laugh.

It is a great series, but alas watching the latest season they seem to be running out of idea's.....however the banter between them is still very funny if you understand the humour

• Like 1

Really enjoyed that; and according to Clarkson's tweets the second part should be even better. (He was almost apologising for the first part.. wink.png )

I hope we'll see some good Thailand time in the second part.. though as the guys haven't really been spotted too much in major places I think it may skip from Mae Sai pretty much to Kanchanaburi.

BTW did everyone notice that they present the trucks as being sourced in Burma, but they all have Thailand plates. It was probably easier to use Thai trucks and then move them to Burma for their episode to drive them back into Thailand. (Might not be allowed to have foreign trucks in Thailand?) Anyway, they're crappy old Thai trucks. thumbsup.gif

BTW, HD links (720 and 1080p) are here: http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgear/21/6/

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Watched Part 2 and enjoyed, but not the best.

I have been looking and waiting for Part 2 to be uploaded onto YouTube, so that i could post it here for you fredob43.

But i have just realised that Part 1 has been removed because of copyright issues, so i don't think we will be seeing Part 2 on YouTube anytime soon.

Also i cant believe that 'Jeremy Clarkson accused of racism', the comment went straight over my head along with many others.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed that; and according to Clarkson's tweets the second part should be even better. (He was almost apologising for the first part.. wink.png )

I hope we'll see some good Thailand time in the second part.. though as the guys haven't really been spotted too much in major places I think it may skip from Mae Sai pretty much to Kanchanaburi.

BTW did everyone notice that they present the trucks as being sourced in Burma, but they all have Thailand plates. It was probably easier to use Thai trucks and then move them to Burma for their episode to drive them back into Thailand. (Might not be allowed to have foreign trucks in Thailand?) Anyway, they're crappy old Thai trucks. thumbsup.gif

BTW, HD links (720 and 1080p) are here: http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgear/21/6/

Burmese trucks can either not enter Thailand at all, or are only permitted within a few kms of a border crossing. That's why they used Thai vehicles. With permission, Thai vehicles can enter Myanmar and travel to wherever they have been granted permission by the Burmese government. Without permission, they too, can only travel within a short distance from the border and often only for one day or a few days (depending on the border crossing).

Had a look at part two today. Had some nice points but I think they bit off a bit more than they could chew this time. It looks as though they had a really hard time of it and the anger in places went from scripted fun to real very often. I think they were all tired out with the heat and the work. Much more so than their Afrikan trip.

Burmese trucks can either not enter Thailand at all, or are only permitted within a few kms of a border crossing. That's why they used Thai vehicles. With permission, Thai vehicles can enter Myanmar and travel to wherever they have been granted permission by the Burmese government. Without permission, they too, can only travel within a short distance from the border and often only for one day or a few days (depending on the border crossing).

His comments about the reasoning for driving on the right while having mostly right drive cars, buses etc. was ignorant. The law was changed over 40 years ago, plenty of time to have left drive cars there save for sanctions, the country that is most likely to sell them locally is Thailand as there is a glut of used cars there and obviously locale, that's why they are mostly right drive. Due to the past sanctions of other countries Thailand was the most likely place to acquire vehicles and buses for example mostly through black market whistling.gif sources.

Edited by WarpSpeed