Nationality of someone from the USA

A pedantic concern for sure, but I thought I'd ask anyway. tongue.png

If someone was born in the USA and holds a US passport, what is the correct answer to the nationality question on various immigration forms?

Nationality: American

OR

Nationality: United States of America

In my opinion, United States of America seems awkward, but if you look inside a US Passport it says, "Nationality: United States of America".

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the responses and reasons. :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My passport says I am a "British Citizen"

I guess you must be a "United States of America" !

Perhaps as Winston Churchill once observed, this is just an example of " two great nations being separated by a common language" smile.png

• Like 1

I've always put AMERICAN and I always will. Of course that's what you put.

Now if this was Latin America where the locals have a bug up their <deleted> about such things, I would consult the locals for what they want us to put.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I always put USA, but in heart it will always be "none of your business". I go to America about a month a year & feel a great disappointment with the ignorance of the people. All sheep...in their bliss. However I do love the food! 3 weeks pass, can't wait to leave.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

you often call yourselfs americans, while in fact you are NOT when it comes to your country. "Americans" is in the context of informing that

you come from the american continent. Canadians also comes from America, and they do not call them selfs americans...

So take note over there,, you come from USA, and that is what you shall write...

Glegolo

ps. this lesson was free of charge

you often call yourselfs americans, while in fact you are NOT when it comes to your country. "Americans" is in the context of informing that

you come from the american continent. Canadians also comes from America, and they do not call them selfs americans...

So take note over there,, you come from USA, and that is what you shall write...

Glegolo

ps. this lesson was free of charge

No. USA is not a nationality. You're asking us to give an incorrect answer. Like, what would you like to drink? I'd like to drink the pork cutlet. People already think Americans are stupid. Now some foreigners are dictating that we can't correctly answer questions about our nationality? Nice try, no cigar.

Edited by Jingthing

You're American. The United States of America is a country.

I agree with you, but many people in North and South America would argue that the USA has no claim to the nationality, "American".

So what? Is this Boliviavisa.com?

Reading the arguments, seems more of a pissing match from the OP.

Question to the OP, are you anti-American & is it your intention to stir the pot? Another question would be, what is your home country or another would be what do you care?

Question to the OP, are you anti-American & is it your intention to stir the pot? Another question would be, what is your home country or another would be what do you care?

Oh well so much for rational debate, let's just throw in a you must be anti-american

A rather childish response me thinks

But to answer the question as regards filling in forms, most the guys I know just write " US citizen"

Oh well so much for rational debate, let's just throw in a you must be anti-american

But to answer the question as regards filling in forms, most the guys I know just write " US citizen"

Yes I fully agree as well of course,,, because in that sence, he is not an american....

glegolo

"Rational". How interesting you didn't answer the question.

"Rational". How interesting you didn't answer the question.

Yes I did the OP questioned what should be written on a form

Seems to me your stirring the pot by calling the OP anti American

Edited by Soutpeel

Putting U.S. citizen down on such a form (OUTSIDE of the USA) would be silly. I simply don't believe very many Americans actually do that when asked to fill in -- NATIONALITY. They aren't asking about your citizenship status. They are asking NATIONALITY. The only time you would indicate your citizenship status like that is on a U.S. based form, as in Are you a U.S. citizen? Check the box, yes or no, etc. It's not something you would write out.

Yes this pedantic obsession is definitely associated with anti-Americanism, don't kid yourselves. Americans indicating their nationality as Americans are not trying to say Bolivians don't live in South America. Bolivians wouldn't put down American as their nationality, now would they? It's an accident of history that the nation of the USA is named as it is, but again the name of country is not always the name of a nationality.

Are Italian-Americans, Italian-USAers? Of course not.

facepalm.gif Good grief.facepalm.gif

Cheers.

On a related note, what did people from the USSR call their nationality when the USSR existed? It's been awhile. I knew some people from there back then (probably spies but what the heck) and I think I recall they called themselves RUSSIANS not USSRers. Am I wrong about that?

Edited by Jingthing

Putting U.S. citizen down on such a form (OUTSIDE of the USA) would be silly. I simply don't believe very many Americans actually do that when asked to fill in -- NATIONALITY. They aren't asking about your citizenship status. They are asking NATIONALITY. The only time you would indicate your citizenship status like that is on a U.S. based form, as in Are you a U.S. citizen? Check the box, yes or no, etc. It's not something you would write out.

Yes this pedantic obsession is definitely associated with anti-Americanism, don't kid yourselves. Americans indicating their nationality as Americans are not trying to say Bolivians don't live in South America. Bolivians wouldn't put down American as their nationality, now would they? It's an accident of history that the nation of the USA is named as it is, but again the name of country is not always the name of a nationality.

Cheers.

On a related note, what did people from the USSR call their nationality when the USSR existed? It's been awhile. I knew some people from there back then (probably spies but what the heck) and I think I recall they called themselves RUSSIANS not USSRers. Am I wrong about that?

To the point & well said.

Cheers.

Well all I can tell Jing is that I work with numerous US citizens and have do so for many years and have seen many forms filled in and they write "US citizen" and they have not been in the US at the time and it wasn't a tick box

Call me liar or anti-american if you wish....but think you better than that using the standard retort of you must be anti-american

Or my other favourite of "vile anti-american rhetoric" used by another colonial cousin frequently on TV

I'm an American, and Americans think of themselves and refer to themselves as Americans, no surprise.

But when it comes to things like Thai Immigration forms, what they're really asking via "Nationality" is what country are you from or what is your country of citizenship.

Thus, when I see that question on Thai Immigration forms, I'll usually write "USA" or "United States".

I'd think it's a comparable thing for the Brits, who probably don't write "British". I'd assume they'd write Great Britain or United Kingdom.

• Like 1

I now definitely think this post was about stirring the pot.

Why " septic" and yank mean the same thing, I believe the root of the term comes from cockney rhyming slang septic tank. ...Yank

Apples and pears....stairs

Cheers.

My US Passport, on the 4th line of the first (picture) page says under "Nationality/Nationalité/Nacionalidad

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA"

That takes care of it for me, at least as far as what governments expect a US citizen to write when asked for his/her "nationality" -- just repeat what is written in your US Passport. Next.....

Edited by Thailaw

I'm an American, and Americans think of themselves and refer to themselves as Americans, no surprise.

But when it comes to things like Thai Immigration forms, what they're really asking via "Nationality" is what country are you from or what is your country of citizenship.

Thus, when I see that question on Thai Immigration forms, I'll usually write "USA" or "United States".

I'd think it's a comparable thing for the Brits, who probably don't write "British". I'd assume they'd write Great Britain or United Kingdom.

Well if Scotland gets its way a little less of a united kingdom me thinks