Nationality of someone from the USA

It's nice too see how proud and sensitive people are about their nationality.

If somebody asks my nationality I usually lie to them and give them another nationality - next time I might use American :)

Nobody wants to be a citizen of my country :)

• Like 1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For people with multiple nationalities, I guess it's more complicated. I once traveled with a Filipino U.S. permanent resident (non-citizen) to Mexico. I don't even remember what kind of passport he used.

If he was a non-citizen, he would not have had a US passport, so it would have been a Phi one. In all likelihood, his US PR would allow him similar travel rights to Mexico (and Canada) as a US citizen - this is often the case. In the UK permanent residence (ILR) stamp allows easier access to European visas (although not free travel under EU) - this happened many years ago with my wife who went to Finland to visit family there from the UK - she had a Thai passport back then with PR (ILR) and that was accepted by the Fin Embassy just as a British Passport would have been (was on the pamphlet they handed her) - that was 15 years ago now.

It's nice too see how proud and sensitive people are about their nationality.

If somebody asks my nationality I usually lie to them and give them another nationality - next time I might use American :)

Nobody wants to be a citizen of my country :)

Interesting..."Willems"... Could honestly agree if it was one of those really bad countries of which histories including committed genocide.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You guys have way to much free time in your hands and need to find something meaningful with which to occupy your timetongue.png

Some one from Canada is called a Canadian

Some one from Belgium is called a Belgian

Some one from the USA is called a Ustanian or an American?

I know a very difficult question requiring pages and pages or replies and in the end will probably be unresolvedthumbsup.gif

What one wishes to call themselves is not the same as what their nationality is.

Some one from England is called English

Some one from Scotland is called Scotish

Some one from Wales is called Welsh

But guess what,

They all have the same nationality, British.

Yes, but what will you call some one from the USA (and not get punched in the facelaugh.png) .

You would certainly not say " hey you are a USA" that would be grammatically incorrect, and get you a funny look.

Or if I was asked "What nationality are you? " what would I say?

If I said ,"I am from the US" I would be answering a different question, the question is not where are you from, the question is, what nationality are you?

So what is the answer to that question? would you answer , a Usainian, a Usiny, a Usaan, a Uestanny? or will you answer an American?

Edited by sirineou