Nationality of someone from the USA

There is no correct answer. Immigration personnel are not English teachers, nor is there any penalty for a grammatically incorrect answer. They understand both USA and American. I have put both down. They understand both.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I might as well join this silly fray: The problem is the question. "Nationality" is generally defined with an adjective, like American or British or Greek. What forms and computers really want in this case is a noun, so the question should be "Citizenship". Thus the best answer would be "USA" or "UK" or "Greece". I have always filled in these blanks with that which matches my passport, not with what I might describe myself.

• Like 1

you often call yourselfs americans, while in fact you are NOT when it comes to your country. "Americans" is in the context of informing that

you come from the american continent. Canadians also comes from America, and they do not call them selfs americans...

So take note over there,, you come from USA, and that is what you shall write...

Glegolo

ps. this lesson was free of charge

No. USA is not a nationality. You're asking us to give an incorrect answer. Like, what would you like to drink? I'd like to drink the pork cutlet. People already think Americans are stupid. Now some foreigners are dictating that we can't correctly answer questions about our nationality? Nice try, no cigar.

I am sure someone once said "better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid rather than open your mouth and prove you are"!

My fellow Americans (I use the term humorously because I hated how LBJ addressed us):

Since the reason to fill out a form is to accomplish a goal - it would be irrational to sabotage one's own goal by playing a word game with those who can approve or disapprove it.

When reviewing a form I believe immigration double checks the name on the form, PP number, dates, signature, etc., for a match. The form should match the info on the passport. Since under nationality it states - United States of America - it would be rational for me to conclude that I am recognized internationally as a United States of America Citizen.

American is a generic term and could be used by anyone from any country in the Americas (North, Central, or South); they too are Americans. (LBJ as well as other USA politicians don't know this - to their shame.) Latin America is also a much used but geographically incorrect figure of speech since Latin was the official language of Roman Empire and still is for the Catholic Church - how it got applied to our neighbors I don't know. I do know that much of our language/slang usage comes (and is circulated) via the semi-literate writers who produce much of our semi-literate journalism and political speeches. Eventually a population will pick up and use these figures of speech regardless of correctness.

But hey... who really cares... call yourselves what you want... but I would recommend using legally correct information for important documents. coffee1.gif

Edited by IBoldnewguy
  • Like 2

Well if Scotland gets its way a little less of a united kingdom me thinks

Well, it still could be the United Kingdom, right? Just a little less united and a little smaller kingdom.

After all, we wouldn't stop calling our nation the "United States" if, for example, somehow Alaska or Hawaii were to break away from the fold. biggrin.png

For now yes...Scotland gets its independence, then Wales will want it, and then possibly northern Ireland

So we could be back to an English pp and no United kingdom

Funny thing about the Scottish thing is that they want independence but don't want to give up the pound as a currency....if they want independence give up the currency join the EU and use the Euro, and give their UK pp,s back I say

The English has had enough pounds from those countries already, pounds of flesh.

Nope. Latin America (in Spanish América Latina o Latinoamérica) is in general usage. It is not a term of ignorance of American politicians.

post-37101-0-67855300-1394002539_thumb.p

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am%C3%A9rica_Latina

To the topic to my fellow Americans (not fellow USAers, nobody says that!), REALLY ... Thai immigration will always accept putting down either AMERICAN or USA as your nationality (if you have a USA passport) ... so why exactly is this a problem? Answer, it isn't.

To be honest, ONE TIME and only one time, I did notice a Thai immigration officer write down USA on my form where I had written American. He didn't comment, just did it. There was no problem. If people want to take that as a hint that they should choose USA over AMERICAN on forms here, be my guest. It doesn't change the price of eggs in Crimea either way.

Edited by Jingthing

Question to the OP, are you anti-American & is it your intention to stir the pot? Another question would be, what is your home country or another would be what do you care?

Answers to the poster:

No, not in the slightest.

No, and I don't see how you could make that conclusion.

The USA.

I "care" because I was filling out an immigration form and it struck me as an interesting question.

Can we get back on topic, please?

No disrespect intended, but an ESL website from Chile is hardly the ultimate arbiter.

Why was I quoted in that Website post, I had nothing to do with it. Seems you took my call sign & someone else's post, edited & re-posted.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Nope. Latin America (in Spanish América Latina o Latinoamérica) is in general usage. It is not a term of ignorance of American politicians.

attachicon.gif550px-Latin_America_(orthographic_projection).svg.png

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am%C3%A9rica_Latina

To the topic to my fellow Americans (not fellow USAers, nobody says that!), REALLY ... Thai immigration will always accept putting down either AMERICAN or USA as your nationality (if you have a USA passport) ... so why exactly is this a problem? Answer, it isn't.

To be honest, ONE TIME and only one time, I did notice a Thai immigration officer write down USA on my form where I had written American. He didn't comment, just did it. There was no problem. If people want to take that as a hint that they should choose USA over AMERICAN on forms here, be my guest. It doesn't change the price of eggs in Crimea either way.

My comment was about saving time by using the correct terms which are printed directly on one's PP.

I did not say Latin America was not general usage I was explaining how general usage came into being.

I also tried to also be a little witty; if you speak as you write and write as you speak and your understanding equals both I can understand why it was all a little above you.

I've read most of the comments on this thread and your replies to them come across as an old soldier fighting a battle that doesn't really exist.

Reading the arguments, seems more of a pissing match from the OP.

Question to the OP, are you anti-American & is it your intention to stir the pot? Another question would be, what is your home country or another would be what do you care?

This is your original post that was quoted. The only part that was changed is sniping the first line which did not change the context of your post.

My comment was about saving time by using the correct terms which are printed directly on one's PP.

I did not say Latin America was not general usage I was explaining how general usage came into being.

I also tried to also be a little witty; if you speak as you write and write as you speak and your understanding equals both I can understand why it was all a little above you.

I've read most of the comments on this thread and your replies to them come across as an old soldier fighting a battle that doesn't really exist.

Anyone reading your post can clearly see you were insulting people who use the term Latin American as ignorant people. You can act like you didn't do that, but it's there for anyone to read. Your comments were about more than one thing. What term to put down for American nationality and also your rant about the term Latin America. There was no humor in your post. Be clear about that.

Also, ONLY Americans (from the USA) can correctly say their NATIONALITY is American. No other nationality can do that correctly and guess what, they don't!

The people bothered by this "issue" aren't Americans. They are mostly anti-American types suggesting Americans are arrogant for claiming ownership of the the word American as some kind of imperialistic aggression. But that is not the case. It's about the name of a specific NATIONALITY. The Americas are another use of the word. Both uses are correct.

Edited by Jingthing

I am not american, but if asked for my nationality I always write the name of my country, because the names of countries are more well known that the name of the nationalities.

On a form it's not important you write grammatically correct - what you write should be clear and easy to understand.

If you would write USA on a form I am sure where you come from. If you would write American, I have to think for a second and come to the same conclusion....

• Like 2

When reviewing a form I believe immigration double checks the name on the form, PP number, dates, signature, etc., for a match. The form should match the info on the passport. Since under nationality it states - United States of America - it would be rational for me to conclude that I am recognized internationally as a United States of America Citizen.

That is the way I feel about it. So for nationality on any form I always write USA

Also my understanding of the definition is the same as how a dictionary describes it.

Nationality

The status of belonging to a particular nation by origin, birth, or naturalization.

So I guess "American" would just be the shortened version albeit longer to write wink.png

Edited by mania

Reading the arguments, seems more of a pissing match from the OP.

This is your original post that was quoted. The only part that was changed is sniping the first line which did not change the context of your post.

Actually sniping all the lines that were mine & leaving just a part of someone else's quote. In which the context is completely changed.

I think "American" makes sense, "United States of American" doesn't sound right. Besides, all other American countries have their own specific nationality title: "Canadian", "Mexican", "Peruvian" etc... In the UK we fall back on the other name mainland wise - Great Britain, and hence "British" (ignoring the incorrect "English/Scottish/Welsh" as they are not nations, but country members thereof) - for Northern Ireland, "Northern Irish" is correct.

On a form, British / UK or American / USA will probably both be accepted in either form, so somewhat academic.

• Like 1

The reason why I think it's better to write USA is probably this:

According to webster online dictionary:

American:

: a person born, raised, or living in the U.S.
: a person born, raised, or living in North America or South America
People of some countries in Europe or Asia, might doubt for a second when you write American (although they will most probably conclude you're from the USA).

For now yes...Scotland gets its independence, then Wales will want it, and then possibly northern Ireland

So we could be back to an English pp and no United kingdom

Funny thing about the Scottish thing is that they want independence but don't want to give up the pound as a currency....if they want independence give up the currency join the EU and use the Euro, and give their UK pp,s back I say

If Scotland gets independence from the UK, then i agree they shouldn't hold UK passports.

But they have every right to hold on to their monetary £ and it will be called Scottish £

Why should they have to join the Euro? not relevant to independence.

We would have dual nationality until it is phased out.

Why... You want to be independent you need to get off Westminster's teat immediately, Scotland wants no part of being in the united kingdom so why be afforded dual nationality..... You can't have it both ways

If the united kingdom was pushing Scotland out I would agree with you, but they are not

I doubt Scotland will say YES anyway, but if they do. The Euro is what they will have to take if they want to be part of the EU which the SNP (YES campaign) say they do (and everyone knows they need to be) - that is the EU rule all new members have to take the Euro as a condition of membership - so that's that one dusted. They will also have to subscribe to schenigan for visa-less travel between schenigan countries (for non EU people - i.e. a schenigan visa in Spain also allows travel to Scotland). The passports for Scottish citizens would have to be phased over to Scottish - just like the Irish ones were - but as part of the EU would allow free movement anyway. The Queen is still the monarch of Scotland too - that is not part of the current campaigns, and is unlikely to change. There would be a hornets nest of issues with respect to global treaties, but that would be Scotland's to work out - such as extradition, visa on arrival, NATO, G8, and so on. There is no need for dual nationality and I can see no reason for the UK to allow it after cessation of Scotland as a matter of course, of course if an parent was English, Welsh or NI then fine - otherwise, Scottish and have to apply and pay the fee for nationisation - can't have it both ways!

BTW the Acts of Union 1707, was to join Scotland with Britain, so if Scotland breaks away, it was dissolve the act and thus, presumably, the "UK" moniker would be obsolete in favour of "Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

That is true. A Bolivian is a South American as an Italian is a European. But the NATIONALITY of the Bolivian is clearly Bolivian not American just as the nationality of the Italian is Italian not European. How many Bolivians do you think put down American on a form asking for their nationality? Right. None. So again, what is the problem exactly?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

American:

People of some countries in Europe or Asia, might doubt for a second when you write American (although they will most probably conclude you're from the USA).

Christ! Another person quoting an online service! America will always be viewed as the USA or vice versus. Countries aren't only dictated as they're seen a map created a hundred years ago. Canada is Canada. Mexico is Mexico, however some argue California is also a part of Mexico. We can reference the maps when lazy, no doubt until the Chinese come for their money, the term America or American will belong to the USA & accepted anywhere in the world.

That is true. A Bolivian is a South American as an Italian is a European. But the NATIONALITY of the Bolivian is clearly Bolivian not American just as the nationality of the Italian is Italian not European.

Everyone knows you're right and with a bit of logical thinking everyone comes to the conclusion that somebody with American nationality must come from the USA.

That said, "USA" on a form is probably more easy to understand by Europeans and Asians.

Reminds me of friend that took a Taxi from Don Muang to the Finnish Embassy.
He fell asleep and the taxi driver woke him up.
- Now Finnish Embassy.
- This is not the Finnish Embassy.
- Yes, I drive Sukhumvit, embassy, embassy, embassy, now finish embassy.

• Like 2

That is true. A Bolivian is a South American as an Italian is a European. But the NATIONALITY of the Bolivian is clearly Bolivian not American just as the nationality of the Italian is Italian not European.

Everyone knows you're right and with a bit of logical thinking everyone comes to the conclusion that somebody with American nationality must come from the USA.

That said, "USA" on a form is probably more easy to understand by Europeans and Asians.

Perhaps, but I can tell you from long experience there is no problem of understanding filling out AMERICAN in Thailand when using a USA passport. I have said before put in USA or American, either will do fine. Also in Thailand, most all everyday Thais know what nationality America means, you say USA and chances are you get a blank face.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

You're American. The United States of America is a country.

I agree with you, but many people in North and South America would argue that the USA has no claim to the nationality, "American".

And WE are right.....WE live in the AMERICAN CONTINENT....and for us...you are a NORTH AMERICAN or a US CITIZEN.

I do not know any ITALIAN that will respond EUROPEAN to that question...

By the way.... I am a BRAZILIAN and also a US CITIZEN.....That's makes me a REAL AMERICAN CITIZEN...but...I do not like to show off about.

American:

I think pretty much anyone would think and "American" is from the USA - otherwise they would have said "Mexican" etc like I said the post above yours. There is more play with "Asian" - in the US this generally relates to the Far East, China/Japan/Vietnam/Korea/etc - in the UK this relates to Indian/Pakistani/Begali/etc - this is borne out with Asian Radio/BBC Asia/Asian TV Network in the UK - all Indian channels. However, on forms this is not an issue as none would write "Asian" against nationality.