Nationality of someone from the USA

Well if Scotland gets its way a little less of a united kingdom me thinks

Well, it still could be the United Kingdom, right? Just a little less united and a little smaller kingdom.

After all, we wouldn't stop calling our nation the "United States" if, for example, somehow Alaska or Hawaii were to break away from the fold. biggrin.png

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, it still could be the United Kingdom, right? Just a little less united and a little smaller kingdom.

After all, we wouldn't stop calling our nation the "United States" if, for example, somehow Alaska or Hawaii were to break away from the fold. biggrin.png

For now yes...Scotland gets its independence, then Wales will want it, and then possibly northern Ireland

So we could be back to an English pp and no United kingdom

Funny thing about the Scottish thing is that they want independence but don't want to give up the pound as a currency....if they want independence give up the currency join the EU and use the Euro, and give their UK pp,s back I say

I'm an American, and Americans think of themselves and refer to themselves as Americans, no surprise.

But when it comes to things like Thai Immigration forms, what they're really asking via "Nationality" is what country are you from or what is your country of citizenship.

Thus, when I see that question on Thai Immigration forms, I'll usually write "USA" or "United States".

I'd think it's a comparable thing for the Brits, who probably don't write "British". I'd assume they'd write Great Britain or United Kingdom.

I am a British citizen and i come from the United Kingdom.

When i fill in forms for Nationality i always write British.

When i fill in country of origin/citizenship i always write United Kingdom.

You are a United States citizen and come from the USA.

For now yes...Scotland gets its independence, then Wales will want it, and then possibly northern Ireland

Funny thing about the Scottish thing is that they want independence but don't want to give up the pound as a currency....if they want independence give up the currency join the EU and use the Euro, and give their UK pp,s back I say

If Scotland gets independence from the UK, then i agree they shouldn't hold UK passports.

But they have every right to hold on to their monetary £ and it will be called Scottish £

Why should they have to join the Euro? not relevant to independence.

On Thai immigration forms, standard replies are either American or USA. Either will do and either will be accepted by immigration authorities. In Latin America, it would be more PC to enter USA but not more actually correct. I prefer American because that is the way Americans generally describe our nationality while U.S.A. or U.S. describes where we are from. Just choose either. I still really, really don't believe very many people with USA passports filling immigration forms abroad enter U.S. citizen on immigration forms. I can see there are complications for people with multiple nationalities and that is not that rare. Cheers.

Samples: Where do you come from?

America

The U.S.

The USA

What is your nationality?

American

Very few Americans will verbally reply USA to that question. Because they didn't ask where you come from.

Edited by Jingthing

You're American. The United States of America is a country.

I agree with you, but many people in North and South America would argue that the USA has no claim to the nationality, "American".

You come from the United States of America. Your country has the word 'America' as part of its name. All the people that are moaning live in countries which are situated on either the North or South American continents. None of them come from countries that have the word 'America' in their name so they're just pissing and moaning for its own sake. You are American.

Yes it is seen as imperialistic and arrogant by many people in the Americas who aren't from the USA. They've got a point about imperialism and arrogance but Americans calling their nationality what it is just is what it is. When you spend time in Latin America, you learn the PC way to respond to your nationality (best in Spanish or Portuguese). That's just being polite within the context of the local culture. To suggest it's an issue in Thailand, so far from the Americas, is making something out of nothing.

BTW, I haven't found this to be an issue in Canada and they can usually spot an American accent a mile away so they don't usually even bother asking ...

Edited by Jingthing

If Scotland gets independence from the UK, then i agree they shouldn't hold UK passports.

But they have every right to hold on to their monetary £ and it will be called Scottish £

We would have dual nationality until it is phased out.

I'm an American, and Americans think of themselves and refer to themselves as Americans, no surprise.

But when it comes to things like Thai Immigration forms, what they're really asking via "Nationality" is what country are you from or what is your country of citizenship.

Thus, when I see that question on Thai Immigration forms, I'll usually write "USA" or "United States".

I'd think it's a comparable thing for the Brits, who probably don't write "British". I'd assume they'd write Great Britain or United Kingdom.

We write 'British'. That's our nationality. Great Britain or United Kingdom is the sovereign entity that we come from.

Surely it will be called the 'groat'? Or in Salmond's case the 'scrote'...

I also put "USA"

Many people do. I am questioning that many people enter U.S. citizen on non-U.S. immigration forms ... that is, unless in cases where a person has complications in their passports/nationality history.

I was replying to the OP, not you.

You guys have way to much free time in your hands and need to find something meaningful with which to occupy your timetongue.png

Some one from Canada is called a Canadian

Some one from Belgium is called a Belgian

Some one from the USA is called a Ustanian or an American?

I know a very difficult question requiring pages and pages or replies and in the end will probably be unresolvedthumbsup.gif

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

Question to the OP, are you anti-American & is it your intention to stir the pot? Another question would be, what is your home country or another would be what do you care?

Answers to the poster:

No, not in the slightest.

No, and I don't see how you could make that conclusion.

The USA.

I "care" because I was filling out an immigration form and it struck me as an interesting question.

Can we get back on topic, please?

No disrespect intended, but an ESL website from Chile is hardly the ultimate arbiter.

I write in 'US' and that's it.

Yeah, so when in South America, someone may lecture you about calling yourself 'Americano' and an hour later you're in a shop and the shopkeeper asks where you're fron, say Los Estados Unidos and he replies "ah, Americano!"

USA is what I put on everything that asks for nationality.

United States of America is what it says on your passport.

American is not a nationality,

Go to any website that has a pull down menu for nationality and/or country of birth and see if you can find American or America listed.

Try this one: http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

• Like 1

whistling.gif As my Puerto Rican friends explained when I worked there I was from the United States of America.

America is the name that was given to two separate continents, North America and South America.

Mexico, for example, is in the North American continental area, therefor Mexicans are also Americans.

The island of Puerto Rico also belongs to the North American continental area, so those who live in Puerto Rico are also Americans.

Of course, those who live on the South American continent are ALSO Americans by that same logic.

But, here in Thailand, you often get blank looks if you answer the question, "Where you come from?" by answering "United States of America".

For that reason I tend to answer that question as "American".... even though I know it is actually not the correct answer.

Language, you see, is a medium of communication, and that's it's main purpose.

rolleyes.gif

According to most treaties and official listings the nationality of persons holding passports issued by the USA can be stated as either ÜS"or "American". The demonym is "American" and therefore most used for US nationals.

All US citizens are nationals of the USA, but not all nationals of the USA are citizens.

If not a US citizen then their country of residence would be the USA. A national is a citizen of a country.

We would have dual nationality until it is phased out.

Why... You want to be independent you need to get off Westminster's teat immediately, Scotland wants no part of being in the united kingdom so why be afforded dual nationality..... You can't have it both ways

If the united kingdom was pushing Scotland out I would agree with you, but they are not Edited by ubonjoe
fixed broken quotes
  • Like 1

i always write Canadanian.

no one has remarked about it yet.

i think that no one at immigration really cares one way or another as long as you make reference to the right country of nationality.

You guys have way to much free time in your hands and need to find something meaningful with which to occupy your timetongue.png

Some one from Canada is called a Canadian

Some one from Belgium is called a Belgian

Some one from the USA is called a Ustanian or an American?

I know a very difficult question requiring pages and pages or replies and in the end will probably be unresolvedthumbsup.gif

What one wishes to call themselves is not the same as what their nationality is.

Some one from England is called English

Some one from Scotland is called Scotish

Some one from Wales is called Welsh

But guess what,

They all have the same nationality, British.

I enjoy trivia and research, and found this wild tidbit on Wikipedia:

"The only officially and commonly used alternative for referring to the people of the United States in English is to refer to them as citizens of that country. Several single-word English alternatives for "American" have been suggested over time, including "Usonian", popularized by Frank Lloyd Wright, and the nonce term "United-Statesian". The writer H. L. Mencken collected a number of proposals from between 1789 and 1939, finding terms including "Columbian, Columbard, Fredonian, Frede, Unisian, United Statesian, Colonican, Appalacian, USian, Washingtonian, Usonian, Uessian, U-S-ian, Uesican, United Stater." Nevertheless no alternative to "American" is common in English. The only known language to have universally accepted Wright’s proposal is Esperanto, calling the country Usono and the citizens Usonanoj.