Phuket mini-crepe maker saved from sharks, gets gift of a lifetime

webfact

This story carries a profound message for all Western men.

And no its not any of that "pass it on" or random acts of kindness drivel.

It is this:

That Mr Prayoon can support a wife and two TEENAGE daughters (in Phuket the most expensive place in Thailand) with a business that only required a capital injection of 20,000THB (USD 615).

Yep, only $615, and a few years of struggling to dial in a business plan and to build a reputation.

That's all it takes.

Many on this thread found what i had to say in my previous post somewhat unsavoury.

But here is another bitter fact for the Thai apologists.

There is effectively zero unemployment amongst fit and healthy Thais here on Phuket.

The only people who do not work, cannot, or they are just lazy.

The minimum wage in Thailand is 9000 THB per month.

Just try to get (and retain) a Thai employee for that amount here in Phuket. It is impossible. The reality here is that the minimum wage here in Phuket is around 12-15000 per month.

But anyway, lets just assume Mr Prayoon works for himself at a profit margin of at least 10,000 per month (otherwise he would be better off getting a job). He is therefore obtaining a return on the 20,000 THB invested capital (ROI) of about 50 percent PER MONTH. Or 600 percent per annum.

Edited by LivinginKata
flame removed
  • Like 1

Many on this thread found what i had to say in my previous post somewhat unsavoury.

There is effectively zero unemployment amongst fit and healthy Thais here on Phuket.

Just try to get (and retain) a Thai employee for that amount here in Phuket. It is impossible. The reality here is that the minimum wage here in Phuket is around 12-15000 per month.

But anyway, lets just assume Mr Prayoon works for himself at a profit margin of at least 10,000 per month (otherwise he would be better off getting a job). He is therefore obtaining a return on the 20,000 THB invested capital (ROI) of about 50 percent PER MONTH. Or 600 percent per annum.

And a guy working at the 7-11 making 9,000 baht without any investment at all is making a ga-jillion percent return, so high it can't be calculated.

Unless, of course, he considers the value of his time and other options for spending that time.

Hole's getting deep.......Stop digging.

• Like 2

"Meanwhile, Delyse Gibson at home in Hamilton, New Zealand, had read Mr Prayoon’s story online and contacted the Phuket Gazette."

Anyone have any idea what online news source she may have been reading?

The incident was not report in the PG.

"Meanwhile, Delyse Gibson at home in Hamilton, New Zealand, had read Mr Prayoon’s story online and contacted the Phuket Gazette."

According to the article it was reported in PG.

Did you read this BTW 'Ms Gibson explained that her motivation for helping Mr Prayoon also came from her special feelings for Phuket, having fallen in love with the island on her first visit last year. Within three days of being on island, she had decided to retire here.'.

I know I'm old and sometimes a little slow to comprehend things but can you explain what you are driving at? Are you saying this guy would be better off rejecting the offer of 20,000 Baht and find a job?

Did you read this BTW 'Ms Gibson explained that her motivation for helping Mr Prayoon also came from her special feelings for Phuket, having fallen in love with the island on her first visit last year. Within three days of being on island, she had decided to retire here.'.

The story of the donation was reported, obviously, that's why we have this thread, but I briefly checked the PG news history page and I did not see any report of the original incident, the fire. Not surprising, because it's a minor incident for Phuket/Thailand/Global - but major incident for the owner.

It interests me that such a minor incident, on Phuket, is reported in a particular online website, and I would like to know the source, if possible.

Did you read this BTW: "Meanwhile, Delyse Gibson at home in Hamilton, New Zealand, had read Mr Prayoon’s story online and contacted the Phuket Gazette."

You have mentioned the fact that she had decided to retire here, but the article says she read about it online in NZ. What is your point????

The story of the donation was reported, obviously, that's why we have this thread, but I briefly checked the PG news history page and I did not see any report of the original incident, the fire. Not surprising, because it's a minor incident for Phuket/Thailand/Global - but major incident for the owner.

It interests me that such a minor incident, on Phuket, is reported in a particular online website, and I would like to know the source, if possible.

Did you read this BTW: "Meanwhile, Delyse Gibson at home in Hamilton, New Zealand, had read Mr Prayoon’s story online and contacted the Phuket Gazette."

You have mentioned the fact that she had decided to retire here, but the article says she read about it online in NZ. What is your point????

Took me all of 1 minute to find the original article on PG website, see here http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Phuket-crepe-vendor-s-livelihood-up-in-flames-24585.html

Just mentioning that according to you Phuket is not attractive anymore, seems others disagree and keep returning. Seems you missed the point since you distorted the quote.

Edited by stevenl

I know I'm old and sometimes a little slow to comprehend things but can you explain what you are driving at? Are you saying this guy would be better off rejecting the offer of 20,000 Baht and find a job?

Gotta agree with both of u . I am an independant contractor in construction sinds i was young , it would be really hard for me to adjust to work for a boss and get a regular job ,

But I could , just to survive .

If I would loose my livelyhood and somebody with a good heart would help me back on track I would thank this person on my knees with tears in my eyes .

Just because its my love and joy .

• Like 1

I am under the impression that he is saying, here is a story of a man who will accept this gift and continue making a living to suport himself and

his family on (what we "farang" would consider) such a small amount/investment that it is almost incomprehensible to most of us. A simple note to those who complain about how difficult it is to get by on the wages offered.

What a wonderful gesture by Delyse Gibson.

If there were more people like her in this world, the world would be a far better place! She isn't giving a hand-out to some lazy bum who is afraid to work, she is helping a good and honest man who works so hard to provide for his family.

Khun Prayoon is also very lucky to have a friend such as this lady from New Zealand but also LUCKY to have his wife and two daughters who had faith in him.

Congratulations to all concerned, including the Phuket Gazette.

• Like 1