What happen if I dont pay rent?

Easyliving

Legally they can not do anything without a court order, just like any other country in the world .

Landlord may try to use buddy police( if they have one) however it would be just a threat .

Most landlords just change the lock, which is actually very illegal, and if you call the police , landlord would be arrested and released on 250k bail.

If you couldn't pay rent rent in one of my properties, I would let it go for 2 months,unless i could afford for you to live rent free,I would help you if I could without it being a burden, then I'd give you more time.

Not that I've got any properties, just saying.

I do own properties, but not in Thailand. Once upon a time I would do this too, today I start the eviction process immediately.

The bank doesn't accept "Oh, my tenants are not paying..."

And I've learned that lately (not true before 2008) late tenants will screw me. The days of honesty have long since passed by.

I'd be totally out of the rental business except that taxes upon sale actually force me to hold onto them.

On day five after rent is due, I'd serve required notice of eviction and I'd charge you ever fee that the law allows.

Times have changed and I have learned to change with them.

• Like 1

I've had several friends that were beaten, one by a gang of guys with clubs, oout of work for over a month.

In theory can put a stop order with immigration prevent your leaving the Kingdom.

Much easier to be honest with the landlord, most are decent people see what you can work out and you might be surprised as long as you're dealing in good faith yourself.

If my tenant doesn't pay,

One telephone call why no Money.

Second telephone call evicted.

Perfectly legal.

It may be normal, doesn't make it legal. Believe it or not, even Thailand has rules regarding this.

What the law says and what happens maybe 2 different things, what does your contract say, getting thrown out may be a tad unpleasant and best not let it get to that stage.

I would think that being thrown out is the pleasant part of what actually will happen.

I've had several friends that were beaten, one by a gang of guys with clubs, oout of work for over a month.

In theory can put a stop order with immigration prevent your leaving the Kingdom.

Much easier to be honest with the landlord, most are decent people see what you can work out and you might be surprised as long as you're dealing in good faith yourself.

Perfectly legal.

It may be normal, doesn't make it legal. Believe it or not, even Thailand has rules regarding this.

They have traffic rules as well.

• Like 2

If you where my tenant, I would let you stay rent free as long as you needed, so you can get on your feet. If needed, I would also give you money to help you.

If by the second day you hadnt paid rent, I would go in there with my boys and bag your stuff and put it outside along with you.

However, had you let me know prior (and not just a few days in advance) that you maybe having some difficulty, I would see what could be done to get you out of the mess your in.

some evil landlords out there who will extract the maximum revenge for non payment .

acid on your car for example

but you could expect a visit from the heavy's

Yes there are some evil landlords,... and the general nature of Thai people in business is "don't play fair or be nice when an argument over money erupts"

Sometimes there's a legit reason for not paying the rent.

We took out a 2 year lease with an option to purchase our house. Paid 12 months in advance and then also spent over 320,000 on new kitchen which the landlord assured us would be reimbursed if for whatever reason we didn't exercise the option to buy.

Long story short: within 9 months of the first 12 months started pressuring us really heavily (but not violently) to buy the house. Then 2 months later pretended he'd sold the house to someone else from whom we got a phone call saying he wanted almost double the rent for the second 12 month term and would not reimburse for the kitchen renovation as it was nothing to do with him. We refused to do any business with that guy as we were not contracted with him. It was all BS as he hadn't bought and he disappeared quickly thereafter.

From there a series of meetings with front men and even his lawyer (the first one of 3 others) who actually saw our side of the story when we presented our contract. Following that 3 letters telling us to just get out and that he had "terminated" the contract.

We actually never saw him in person and did not speak via phone as he was cowardly avoiding us,... always it was front men.

So we hired a good lawyer (has teeth,... not a pussy) and he helped us write to the guy and just reinforced our rights and insisting upon financial compensation for the renovation.

Our lawyer told us not to worry about any visits from heavies or cops as all we had to do was make one phone call to him and he'd fix it right up.

Now we're into our first month of not having paid any rent due to the dispute (this was our lawyers advice). We also managed through our lawyer to arrange a brief 15 minute meeting with our landlord and our lawyer where he basically told the landlord,.. "you pay my client a fair compensation for their investment and they wont sue for any other damages and will simply move out in 30 days. You dont pay and they stay until you bring it before the courts".

The landlords response was "OK... I'll pay whats fair after the renovation has been costed out by an experienced builder"

That happens next weekend. We expect his builder may try to devalue the actual costs but even so we'll be happy to get a decent slice of it and move on!

The conclusion here is: If you have a justifiable reason or argument with any landlord then do yourself a favor and get a good lawyer to represent you and make it clear to the other side that any "monkey" business will not be tolerated@!

• Like 1

im about to move and my house is owned by a very stingy chinese thai "gentleman "

i have no illusions about him keeping my deposit as i kissed goodbye to that money when i gave it to him

all the laws are on his side , he can say anything is damaged and i did it (we did this deal off the books so its just between me and him )

if he wanted to ,he could probably shoot me ,tear up the contract and say i was a tresspasser on his land or even a burgler so i have given

up the idea of threats or anything because hes got the upper hand

not paying the rent in thailand is just hazardous to your health no matter what anyone says , i would just move out quietly and write it off as a lesson learned

Very untrue.

You can show monthly payments of rent which is proof of having rented the property.

He can not show anything to Revenue Department why he has not paid any tax on rental property for years and years.

So even "removing" you does not save him from having to pay thousands and thousands in back tax and penalties

Perfectly legal.

They have traffic rules as well.

Do they?

Be honest with the owner and pay what is due. Remember a number of cases where guys that owed money to landlords for damages done got court orders against them and could not leave Thailand until they came up with the money. You don't want to end up like that so do the right thing.

So you want to skip the rent and still get your deposit back? Why aren't you telling your good friends at Thai Visa how this situation came about? Why no accompanying sob story? Did you plan to stiff the landlord all along, but need advice on how to do it in Thailand? Get your sorry ass back to FarangLand where you can drag this situation out for months, trash the place, and everyone will feel sorry for you and blame your "evil" landlord.

Yes, the OP is yet another upstanding citizen washing up on the shores of the LOS. With tenants like this, I wonder when it will be before landlords start wising up and collecting 12 months worth of deposit.

im about to move and my house is owned by a very stingy chinese thai "gentleman "

i have no illusions about him keeping my deposit as i kissed goodbye to that money when i gave it to him

all the laws are on his side , he can say anything is damaged and i did it (we did this deal off the books so its just between me and him )

if he wanted to ,he could probably shoot me ,tear up the contract and say i was a tresspasser on his land or even a burgler so i have given

not paying the rent in thailand is just hazardous to your health no matter what anyone says , i would just move out quietly and write it off as a lesson learned

Very untrue.

You can show monthly payments of rent which is proof of having rented the property.

He can not show anything to Revenue Department why he has not paid any tax on rental property for years and years.

So even "removing" you does not save him from having to pay thousands and thousands in back tax and penalties

he gave me a reduced rate for cash i presume so he doesnt have to pay any tax so i have no come backs,or even receipts :)

its ok , i understand the game ,the way i figure it my deposit is in the tigers mouth and of course il ask for it back but wont hold

my breath

• Like 1

Why would someone not pay the rent?

Why?

Maybe OP user name could be the answer: Easyliving....If true Thailand not a good choice!

I rent out property here in Thailand. the deposit i ask for is two times the months rent.

If they fail to pay, then they are out, contract terminated, locks changed. End of story.

• Like 2

Very untrue.

he gave me a reduced rate for cash i presume so he doesnt have to pay any tax so i have no come backs,or even receipts smile.png

its ok , i understand the game ,the way i figure it my deposit is in the tigers mouth and of course il ask for it back but wont hold

my breath

If you do not get it back, do feel free to mention Revenue Department, its really amazing how fast part of deposit comes back and so called "damaged" get reduced.

You do not need to worry about proving your rental payments, the landlord needs to worry about proving its not a rental property.

A vast majority of Thai's are NOT killers, thugs, hit man or anything alike, despite the rubbish so many like to post.

Not all are stupid enough to end up in jail over few bucks, after all they did not earn money by being stupidthumbsup.gif

Why would someone not pay the rent?

Why?

Maybe OP user name could be the answer: Easyliving....If true Thailand not a good choice!

I rent out property here in Thailand. the deposit i ask for is two times the months rent.

If they fail to pay, then they are out, contract terminated, locks changed. End of story.

I suggest you have a good lawyer on your speed dial, because if one day you get unlucky to have a tenant with a knowledge of local law and finds the locks changed without a court order, you will find yourself locked up.

You will lose your deposit.

You will be shown the door with your belongings.

You will cooperate with the evictors request.

This is Thailand ... not the UK..coffee1.gif

Well, what would anyone expect?

You quit paying rent = broken contract.

Finished... good bye.

Sounds quite reasonable and civil to me.

All depends on who your landlord is as well. I've been late with both landlords I have, and it's never been an issue. Last month I think I was 10 days late, and they don't seem to mind at all -- never even heard from them about it. Then again, there's some months I'm a week early like this month. All depends on when I get into town, and whether or not I remember to bring the landlord's bank account# with me.

That, and I'm pretty sure they know I'm not the type of person who screws people, so they don't fret about it. They know they'll get their money.

Edited by Nautilus05

Chris, if u r in trouble call ur embassy. They usually have a 24 hour helpline with access to help and advice. Hard to know ur situation from ur post.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes, contact the Embassy's I-can't-pay-my-rent department, usually listed near the Embassy's department that assists in making restaurant reservations and theater bookings.

They'll tell you to contact family, use a credit card, have your bank at home make a transfer, etc. The US embassy does have a service if none of those is available. They charge $30 if someone at home sends them some money to hand over to you.

Why are so many Westerners homeless in Thailand?

A growing number of Europeans and Americans are living homeless in alleyways and on white sandy beaches in tropical Thailand, say charities in the country, with foreign embassies accused of failing to help their own nationals when they get into trouble.

“Many times I speak to embassies and they say that they can’t do anything,” says Lt-Col Vasu.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/why-are-so-many-westerners-homeless-in-thailand-8830302.html

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

When people don't pay the rent, the police should help the landlord evict them.

With court order

I'm sorry but what you're saying MIGHT be true in theory - but in fact I doubt it.

In any case it's irrelevant in this case. In my direct experience, landlords can act with impunity against tenants and aren't afraid of any consequences at all, least of all from legal authorities.

Let's face it the foreign tenant with no money is absolutely no threat, hasn't the resources to pursue anything.

In the case of a tenant with connections and money - maybe they could drag things out for a month or two.

But how many foreigners in the position of defaulting on their room rental have money and connections?

I'm telling you gangs of thugs showing up and inflicting grievous bodily harm is not an uncommon situation - and pray tell how this would be traced back to the landlord?

And a stop order at immigration to prevent the deadbeat from leaving the country is also very possible, just that most landlords don't know that, or don't bother.

I'll repeat my advice, be honest with the landlord, honestly let them know your situation, be sincere about your determination to make things right, and do the best you can to follow through.

Most aren't evil thugs and if approached in this way you may well be surprised how much grace and mercy they will exhibit in working things out with you.

Also wrt the embassy - if USA - they do have the ability to repatriate you, but it will be a FIRST-CLASS ticket home and the debt will both carry interest and be classed like a tax debt that can't be erased via bankruptcy. And even then it is at their discretion and most likely depends on whether or not they've got any left in that fund this fiscal year.

I would think in a country like Thailand they would only grant this if the situation were truly accidental, not due to silly choices.

Edited by wym
  • Like 1

Worse case scenario, you'll never know, you'll be another stastic of someone who jumped off the balcony, or fell down the stairs, or overdosed, the boys in brown wont bat an eyelid and that'll be the end of that.

Pay your rent, if you cant, try to sort something out, if you cant do that leave whilst you are able.

Bang on!! Why would you take such a chance in a foreign country with foreign laws, and a police force that can be bribed into doing pretty much anything required from them for the right price.

Do yourself a favour and either find the money or get out of the property sharpish!

Attention Easyliving

First thing your name and what your posting about is scary.......NOW someone get this man a good glass of red and sit him down....Now that contract you signed the one that stuff they call paper you remember it you would have signed the bottom of each paged agreeing you read and agree with the wording on the contract,

Now if you don't pay the kind man / woman who rented you the property after a due date they will come and HI remember us we own this place and you have not been paying your rent.....SO GET OUT....you will also have a blotted copy book as far renting goes,

Get out means you have to leave ( get out )

Well I don't know about the rest of you but I am exhausted by all this drama.....someone get me a red.