My Costs for 26 days in LOS

Casual1

So without getting into too much detail:

Trip period is from 4 Feb - 1 Mar = 26 days

My house rent is not included

I'm happily married

Food total (eat out and groceries) - 8800

Utilities (cable 6 mo, electric, water, phone reload) - 3730

Entertainment - 37000 (estimates as i know what i started with and counted my money the next morning) (this includes eating and moto taxi's)

-Most were night out with the Gents (4 nights I stayed home, liver pleaded for mercy), (4 nights were crazy) (About 1/2 pattaya city, 1/2 dark side)

Misc (wife tea money, vet bill, gas, motorbike repair)-10000

So over all total for a trip of about a 7.5 on a scale of 1-10 = 59,530

With 3 months till the final move, I would like to get this down to about 45000-50000 a month (not including rent).

Expenses that i know i will have when i'm permenant is gym fees, weekly/bi-monthly trips to BKK for hockey night.

And as always, this is my experience, yours may differ.

Cheers

Don't understand the high entertainment expense...especially if as you say you're happily married. Are you an alcoholic or something or is the marriage really in the toilet?

This is what the OP posted:

Most were night out with the Gents (4 nights I stayed home, liver pleaded for mercy), (4 nights were crazy) (About 1/2 pattaya city, 1/2 dark side)

OMG, I'm curious - do you think he spent:

- 37K per night

- 37K over 4 big nights

- 37K over the 22 nights he wasn't at home nursing his liver

?

I believe it was #3, but even if it was #2, that's less than 10K per 'huge night' : never cause for celebration when you wake up with a hangover and 10-baht in your wallet, but most of us have been there in tourist mode. Let's cut the guy some slack.

• Like 2

Don't understand the high entertainment expense...especially if as you say you're happily married. Are you an alcoholic or something or is the marriage really in the toilet?

This is what the OP posted:

Most were night out with the Gents (4 nights I stayed home, liver pleaded for mercy), (4 nights were crazy) (About 1/2 pattaya city, 1/2 dark side)

OMG, I'm curious - do you think he spent:

- 37K per night

- 37K over 4 big nights

- 37K over the 22 nights he wasn't at home nursing his liver

?

I believe it was #3, but even if it was #2, that's less than 10K per 'huge night' : never cause for celebration when you wake up with a hangover and 10-baht in your wallet, but most of us have been there in tourist mode. Let's cut the guy some slack.

I guess I've just lived here too long and forgot how expensive "tourist" mode can be. If I spend B 300 on a nite out on drinks it would be the norm. At almost 1700 baht on alcohol in scenario #3, that's allot of booze. No judgment but was just surprised at the total amount. I just hope the op is sleeping it off at a ST hotel or cabbing it home after these nites out too.

What am I missing? I can't see the point of this post. Is the OP asking for advice about how to spend less money? Not going out drinking most nights would be a pretty good start, I guess. But that's way too obvious, so I am still wondering what the OP wants. What makes it more confusing is he says, "Trip period is from 4 Feb - 1 Mar = 26 days". Next year? And if so, how does he know what it is going to cost. Very confusing post.

• Like 2

What is so hard to understand?

He is moving to Pattaya in 3 months, he has just spent almost a month here. He has outlined what he has spent and said he would like to reduce his budget a bit.

He is posting his experience, not asking for advice.

• Like 2

What is so hard to understand?

He is moving to Pattaya in 3 months, he has just spent almost a month here. He has outlined what he has spent and said he would like to reduce his budget a bit.

He is posting his experience, not asking for advice.

Oh, I see.

So, why? Is he just thinking out loud? (I hope that doesn't become a habit on here, LOL. Can you imagine?)

I figure I should ask you, Baldplumber, since you seem to understand the reason the OP posted this.

Edited by Brevity

I believe your nights out is where your budget went haywire. Once you settle down here, that 37000 should see a sizeable decrease. As nobody can continue drinking like that long term and expect to live. Good luck.

I believe the dark side is down a small sub-soi off Yommaraj. You go about 15m in then take a sharp left, through the slum, being sure to use the stepping boards over the raw sewage, then up some wooden stairs at the sign (in Thai) that says "Tea Shop".

• Like 1

What is the dark side, where is it and what does it mean.

If you consider Sukhumvit Road as the line that separates dormitory from whorehouse - at least in terms of central Pattaya - the darkside would be the dormitory. Lights out at 11pm, shoes neatly polished at the end of your bed and room inspections every Friday morning ;)

As for what it 'means', what does ANY of it mean in Disneyland ? Pretty obvious why most expat residents would choose to separate themselves from the madness of central Patts - some prefer Naklua or Jomtien but for weekend warriors like myself those areas may as well be Chonburi City.

What am I missing? I can't see the point of this post. Is the OP asking for advice about how to spend less money? Not going out drinking most nights would be a pretty good start, I guess. But that's way too obvious, so I am still wondering what the OP wants. What makes it more confusing is he says, "Trip period is from 4 Feb - 1 Mar = 26 days". Next year? And if so, how does he know what it is going to cost. Very confusing post.

"What am I missing? I can't see the point of this post."

It's the age of Facebook and Twitter when many people feel compelled to bore one another to death with a lengthy recitation of the details of their insipid lives on the dubious premise that anyone cares.

Thank you for the explanation. I have never used Facebook Or Twitter, so I can't relate directly to this phenomenon of expressing your every thought to the world, but I've seen it ridiculed in TV shows before. "Fred LIKES that you brushed your teeth."

i know its hard to keep up. try moving your lips when you read, it may help you with the words.

A guy posts his recent experience in the ongoing debate about "how much does it cost to live in LOS", and is greeted by howls of derision from the TV regulars.

TV has become a nasty and vindictive place recently.

I agree. I have read TV almost daily for years and apart from the occasional spat it used to be quite amusing and informative. I think we are experiencing an overflow of acerbic comments from the political arena. mellow.png

There was no need for this thread. Ok I get it, you spent money and probably too much of it in go go bars (gents out) .

There was no need for this thread... why not ? Beside asking for advice or info, TV is a great source of entertainment. Very few threads are needed, however they can be informative, light hearted, thought provoking or outright funny.

Lighten up.... it's all just good fun.

• Like 1

i know its hard to keep up. try moving your lips when you read, it may help you with the words.

Wow, how Childish!

There is a difference between understand WHAT somebody says and WHY they say it. And further, if they mix tenses and have no apparent point to the post, appropriate comments and question might be asked. Is that easy enough for you to understand? I can put it in really simple and easy terms for you if required. Just let me know. Now for my advise to you: Try putting you mind in gear before putting your hands on the keyboard.

And BTW, I am not the only one who is confused about the purpose of the post. Look in the dictionary for the difference between 'content' and 'reason'. Maybe then you will not make childish little posts.

• Like 1