Missing Malaysia Airlines jet carrying 239 triggers Southeast Asia search

webfact

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree that "adding a GPS loc" to ACARS would be viable but I am having trouble wrapping my head around "making it RAT powered when the electrical supply is interrupted". Are you saying that if power is interrupted either manually or by failure, etc when the a/c is at FL350 under autopilot, that the RAT should be auto-deployed ? This would necessitate massive changes to both the RAT and other control systems -- or would ACARS have its own RAT ?

Massive? Why? The wiring is already there.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The existing RAT is designed to be used only after the engine generators and, in many cases, the APU are unable to supply minimal power needs of the aircraft. The RAT only provides power and hydraulics to minimum systems to facilitate the opportunity to bring the a/c safely to the ground. Most circuitry is not designed for the possibility of more than one simultaneous power source. Similarly, hydraulic systems are not designed to employ two competing sources of hydraulic pressure. I am no engineer, but I can not envision these systems simultaneously functioning properly, without considerable redesign. Perhaps an aircraft systems engineer might be able to comment better on this.

To add RAT to system would only need either a single pole (or double depending on voltage) relay switch (1-2 set normally closed 1-2 sets normally open contacts..) would be made to power relay for normal operation, power off would automaticly energize Rat when relay powered off...easy! The rest of the wiring is already there!!

Not trying to be picky but by "energize RAT" do you mean deploy/ activate RAT? You do realize at this poInt that you are also activating 'last resort' power to a few essential systems and hydraulics - can you tell me how this one relay will isolate the other RAT electrical supplies from the from all main systems ( which are presumably still energized by the generators), while at the same time allowing it to allow these other RAT electrical supplies to function in the event the main generators, secondary generators (if any) and APU fail ? I am no engineer , so I do not understand.

What I said was useing a relay with contacts N/O and normally closed either in single or dual concept (depending on Voltage) If ASCAR system shut down manual or otherwise powered relay would OPEN killing any connection to system wiring... Ok so far? When relay opens it closes other contacts to power ASCAR by Backup emergency power (RAT) whether it is already supplied in Plane or stand-alone it would also energize GPS being dual contacts, when power to relay is interupted... So GPS would only be in emergency situations... ok?

At this point if Sat picks up signal from GPS... 1st thing we would know is trouble onboard Aircraft. You could also program into Software when Aircraft is deviated from Planned route to kill relay... sending same info to Sat. Both are easy! Pilot would have 4 minutes to enter code from Ground Controllers to authorize deviation into Fight Computer. Only code supplied by Controller would Plane Recognise.

An interesting brief interview with he Vice-President of Inmarsat from YouTube in which he states the addition of a "locator" could be added into their system for about $1 per hour per plane, with a frequency of every 15 minutes. I would presume that this would be added to the ping/response package which was used to trace MH370 to the South Indian Ocean. Adding it to ACARs would be of little effect since ACARS can be disabled.

It at least shows that people are serching for economic and viable solutions to the a/c tracking problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eCAle7_TEns

They said this very early on, would cost $10 a flight on average, adding, what, cents to the price of a ticket?

But it got jumped all over by the bean counters of course.

whistling.gif

AFAIK this is a new proposal for an every 15 minute ping specifically for a/c tracking. The $10 per flight subscription, which as you pointed out the bean counters rejected, is for ACARS reporting via SATCOM rather than by VHF.

inmarsat already have the bolton GPS service but at under $20 malaysia airlines rejected it ,the equipment is already on board

okay... $20 and rlay to activate ASCAR if power interupted.... I think after this, whoever voted to reject it will be voted out of Corporate Structure... Sure would have been a whole lot Cheaper!

I think goverments and public opinion will force them to spend a few quid on such simple technology even if they don't find the recorders. We shall see. The airline industry almost always needs to be forced into such things.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Chicog

Yep Chicog, your right that GPS/ADS-B tracking was fully in place and ready to go for $10 a flight when 370 went missing. Problem is only Chicog seems to know this and someone forgot to tell the airlines, the tracking companies and FAA.

Looks like my recollection if a 2018 ready date and a 2020 FAA mandate date was about right.

---------

Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast

A new type of GPS developed for aviation called ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast) would broadcast the location and other details about a flight every second. This new flight-tracking technology has few barriersother than costand is already being installed in some places.

ADS-B is used with special ground towers in Australia and Vietnam but, within the next six years, satellites will be launched so that flights can be tracked almost anywhere in the world. The U.S. ruled that all major aircraft must have ADS-B installed by 2020. Other countries made similar rulings with even earlier start dates.

http://petergreenberg.com/2014/04/08/flight-tracking-changes/

---------

Good discussion on ADS-B capability.

http://www.garmin.com/us/intheair/ads-b/compliance/

Edited by F430murci

Which of the two "discrete" reports are you challenging here? Not that I can elucidate tonight as Atl. Madrid are winning so I'll be descending into a Football/Gambling/Beer maelstrom from here onwards. :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Both Flightradar24.com and Flightaware use ADS-B to get their tracking information. If you use those sites, you will see a lot of aircraft viewable in real time. Distance is still limited but if satellites dedicated to the purpose are put up then the ocean limits will be reduced or eliminated.

Today, roughly 60% of all passenger aircraft (70% in Europe, 30% in the US) are equipped with an ADS-B transponder. This percentage is steadily increasing as ADS-B is set to replace radar as the primary surveillance method for controlling aircraft.

Flightradar24 has a network of more than 3,000 ADS-B receivers around the world that receives plane and flight information from aircraft with ADS-B transponders and sends this information to our servers. Due to the high frequency used (1090 MHz) the coverage from each receiver is limited to about 250-400 km (150-250 miles) in all directions depending on location. The farther away from the receiver an aircraft is flying, the higher it must fly to be covered by the receiver. The distance limit makes it very hard to get ADS-B coverage over oceans.

About 99% of Europe is covered with ADS-B receivers. There is also good ADS-B coverage in USA, Canada, Caribbean, Brazil, Russia, Middle East, India, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia and New Zealand. In other parts of the world the ADS-B coverage varies.

Flightradar24 - how it works

Some interesting Quotes: (Thanks PPrune)

Quote:

Just on CNN:

The MAS CEO declared during a press conference that the FDR / CVR - ULB maintenance records indicate that the ULB battery due date is June 2014.

Quote:

At what intervals are the batteries usually changed? In general, how substantial (or how minimal) is the likely drop-off between the projected pinging duration (beyond 30 days) of a newly installed battery versus one due to be replaced soon? (I realize 30 days is the minimum requirement and that individual batteries may differ).

The Batteries have up to 8 years from new until replacement. Dukane allow for some storage though, and so the minimum you will get at point-of-sale is 6 years.

Unfortunately for the SAR effort for MAS370, it looks like these batteries (if the June 2014 expiry is correct) are end of life units, meaning that they will not last long beyond their certified 30 Day life.

Also this:

Quote:

Quoting from avherald.com:

The manufacturer of the underwater locator beacons (ULB), that were mounted to the flight data and cockpit voice recorders of MH-370, specified their ULB would transmit ultrasonic pulsed sounds at 37.5kHz +/- 1kHz at 160dB (re 1µPa). After a period of 30 days the ULB would still transmit at that frequency at 157 dB. The manufacturer did not publish any data beyond 30 days (certification criteria). Other manufacturers specifying their ULBs also at 160dB initially and 157dB after 30 days state the ULB would still transmit after 90 days though at around 150dB, the frequency drift may exceed 1kHz.

Please humor me on this as I am lost in all the news posts, but I would be wondering why so little news/discussions on following:.

1. Why haven't I seen any news on the relationship between the captain and his family that deserted him the day before? Did I miss something?

2. No more stories expanding on the captain and his connection with Anwar sentencing for sodomy in Malaysia day before he flew the jet?

Possibly because the first is just rumour?

Possibly because the second has been explored and considered irrelevant?

I don't know either, but I haven't seen any news items that have placed any store on either.

Whilst I respect your opinion from someone who is said to be a pilot, I do not understand why :

1. If it was a rumor is wasn't immediately closed out in the news as a rumor?

2. If it is irrelevant why the irrelevancy hasn't been completely closed out in the news?

Reasoning being that if the aircraft has ended up in one of the remotest deepest waters on earth entirely off of flight plan, surely the mental health of the captain would be crossing a lot of peoples minds??

Why certain things weren't 'closed out' in the news is something I can't comment on, but what I can comment on is the inaccuracy of most news services, and particulalry comment by 'aviation consultants/experts', mostly self styled.

I watched the tail end of the Channel 10 news at 5.29 this morning, just missed the actual news, and the closing item was 'black boxes of MH370 have been found'. Intrigued, I switched to Channel 9 to catch their 5.30 broadcast, and not a thing was mentioned about MH370. need I say more?

"The co-pilot of missing Malaysian airliner MH370 attempted to make a mid-flight call from his mobile phone just before the plane vanished from radar screens, a report said Saturday citing unnamed investigators."

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2014/04/12/17/26/mh370-co-pilot-made-mid-flight-phone-call

The plot continues to thicken.

Now discounted in the press, but read my last post re the press. Invented story by the press and discounted by authorities, or genuine story that the authorities don't yet want to get out? Who knows?

Edited by F4UCorsair

If pilot (Captain) suicide is a possibility, that may well be the link, his 'friendship' with Anwar Ibrahim may have put him in the firing line for future charges? I speculated on that earlier.

Suicide IS a possibility. There's no if.

Pure speculation by all of us, but ANYTHING is a possibility.

My view is that it's still less probable. If one of the pilots was intending to create an impact (political impact, so pardon the pun), why wouldn't he have driven it into the Petronas Tower/s, way more bang for his kilo of avtur than dropping it in the Indian Ocean.

Flightradar24 has a network of more than 3,000 ADS-B receivers around the world that receives plane and flight information from aircraft with ADS-B transponders and sends this information to our servers.

As a general point of interest, the Flightradar24 ADS-B receiver for Phuket International Airport and surrounding region is hosted by me at my amateur radio site, about 1km from the airport.

Simon

A short while ago I received an sms from a friend advising that the the plane had been found. I did an online search, nothing new, turned on the 0900 news, nothing there so I called her and asked where it was found, because it wasn't on the news.

Her response, "Why would it be, it's on ebay!!"

A little frivolous perhaps, but amusing nevertheless.

Edited by F4UCorsair

On a more serious note, this news item has just come up

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/22622328/mh370%20-thrown-around-like-a-fighter-jet/

If true, it does throw a new perspective, or perhaps confirms a perspective, on the incident, although not one on which there hasn't already been speculation.

Once again, it's a 'newspaper report', so...................put on it whatever credibility you choose

Edited by F4UCorsair

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/22622328/mh370%20-thrown-around-like-a-fighter-jet/

If true, it does throw a new perspective, or perhaps confirms a perspective, on the incident, although not one on which there hasn't already been speculation.

Once again, it's a 'newspaper report', so...................put on it whatever credibility you choose

Newspaper reports are about all we have to chew on. I read the report in the link posted above. If true, it backs the theory of a pilot gone rogue. Methinks Malaysian authorities still have crucial evidence they're not revealing, ...not to the press, anyway. Example: can they not ascertain what number the pilot called on his mobile phone, ....just before or after the plane taxied to take-off? What sorts of emails had the pilot been sending and receiving in the weeks prior?

If there's an external fire you fly as high as you safely can, if the cabin depressurises you drop below 10,000 feet.

One possibility is there was a break in the fuselage near an electrical system (probably something to do with the comms), the pilot takes the plane up to kill the fire and turns it around to the nearest airport. Taking the plane up high causes the break to rapidly expand (due to the increased pressure variance), fearing disintegration the pilot takes the plane down lower again before putting on his oxygen mask and both are subdued by hypoxia (the communication reported by another pilot at 1:32 noted them to sound like they were in a disoriented state consistent with this).

If the plane is left slightly ascending banking slightly to the left it would keep ascending until eventually steadying and would fly a curved course around the west of Sumatra then back towards the west of Australia until it ran out of fuel.

The problem with the pilot suicide theory is that the plane was equipped with satellite phones, why didn't anyone call for help?

Some interesting Quotes: (Thanks PPrune)

Quote:

Just on CNN:

The MAS CEO declared during a press conference that the FDR / CVR - ULB maintenance records indicate that the ULB battery due date is June 2014.

Quote:

At what intervals are the batteries usually changed? In general, how substantial (or how minimal) is the likely drop-off between the projected pinging duration (beyond 30 days) of a newly installed battery versus one due to be replaced soon? (I realize 30 days is the minimum requirement and that individual batteries may differ).

The Batteries have up to 8 years from new until replacement. Dukane allow for some storage though, and so the minimum you will get at point-of-sale is 6 years.

Unfortunately for the SAR effort for MAS370, it looks like these batteries (if the June 2014 expiry is correct) are end of life units, meaning that they will not last long beyond their certified 30 Day life.

Also this:

Quote:

Quoting from avherald.com:

The manufacturer of the underwater locator beacons (ULB), that were mounted to the flight data and cockpit voice recorders of MH-370, specified their ULB would transmit ultrasonic pulsed sounds at 37.5kHz +/- 1kHz at 160dB (re 1µPa). After a period of 30 days the ULB would still transmit at that frequency at 157 dB. The manufacturer did not publish any data beyond 30 days (certification criteria). Other manufacturers specifying their ULBs also at 160dB initially and 157dB after 30 days state the ULB would still transmit after 90 days though at around 150dB, the frequency drift may exceed 1kHz.

Regarding the statement "... meaning that they will not last long beyond their certified 30 Day life." Was that exactly what Dukane said, CNN assumed or you made up?.

Interesting technical spec on the ULB's. They don't turn off after 30-days, they go onto lower power output which I guess reduces the battery drain.

So given battery and pinger variables, it appears that the best chance of hearing them is 'about' 30 days after loss of external power but it seems pretty much untested and thus unknown how long they will ping in the low-power mode. But they will still be pinging.

If there's an external fire you fly as high as you safely can, if the cabin depressurises you drop below 10,000 feet.

One possibility is there was a break in the fuselage near an electrical system (probably something to do with the comms), the pilot takes the plane up to kill the fire and turns it around to the nearest airport. Taking the plane up high causes the break to rapidly expand (due to the increased pressure variance), fearing disintegration the pilot takes the plane down lower again before putting on his oxygen mask and both are subdued by hypoxia (the communication reported by another pilot at 1:32 noted them to sound like they were in a disoriented state consistent with this).

If the plane is left slightly ascending banking slightly to the left it would keep ascending until eventually steadying and would fly a curved course around the west of Sumatra then back towards the west of Australia until it ran out of fuel.

The problem with the pilot suicide theory is that the plane was equipped with satellite phones, why didn't anyone call for help?

I can't imagine any 'external fire' on a jet aircraft, except in the engines, and there are fire extinguishers built in to extinguish those. A match barely strikes, and won't remain alight at 10,000' due to a lack of oxygen, so how could a fire outside the aircraft be sustained above that altitude, certainly not at 35,000'!!

Why would it eventually 'steady' after ascending?

I hear what you say about a slight turn, but after turning slightly left around Sumatra, heading toward Australia, it was then put on a more SSW heading to the point of impact. What mode would the autopilot have been on to achieve that?

I don't think the break in the fuselage affecting comms theory could possibly hold water. Do you know where the E&E bay is on the 777?

NanLaew asked,

"Regarding the statement "... meaning that they will not last long beyond their certified 30 Day life." Was that exactly what Dukane said, CNN assumed or you made up?.".

That came directly from a post on PPRuNe by somebody who had undertaken some research into FDR battery life, and a statement by a Malaysian official, indicating that the battery was due for replacement in June 2014. They have a life of about 8 years, but 6 years at worst allowing for 'shelf life', and its time was up in June, so one may assume, rightly or wrongly, that it probably wouldn't last much beyond its stated life, but once again, who knows? I think that's possibly a realistic assumption, and it may be borne out in reality since the 'pings' were fading, and there haven't been any reported for a day or two now, but I may be wrong on that, because it could just be that it's on reduced power??

Edited by F4UCorsair

MH370 SEARCH: Malaysian official confirms co-pilot did not make call
News Desk
The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: -- Malaysian Communication and Multimedia Minister Ahmad Shabery Cheek concurs with Acting Transport Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein that the co-pilot of Flight MH370 did not make a phone call from the cockpit of the aircraft on March 8.

He said he had tried to get information on this and that the parties concerned had confirmed that no such call was made.

"I appeal to all quarters to be more responsible in issuing statements because an irresponsible statement can confuse the people.

"It can also complicate the search process which should be given priority," he told reporters after attending a community programme in Kampung Gong Cengal, Kemasik near here.

Bernama had reported Hishammuddin denying a local newspaper report on the matter.

Hishammuddin denied the report which claimed that the co-pilot made a telephone call when the aircraft was flying low over Penang.

He said he would have known about it if the allegation was true.

ann.jpg
-- ANN 2014-04-14

Flight MH370 live: Black box pings go silent, raising fears the missing plane may never be found

The Mirror's Ben Rossington reports that hopes of finding missing Flight MH370 are fading tonight, with no new signs from the airliner’s black boxes detected over the weekend.

The commander of the Royal Navy ship aiding in the search for the Malaysian Airlines plane revealed they are now getting close to sending down a mini-submarine to hunt for wreckage.

HMS Echo is working with Australian vessel Ocean Shield to locate the Boeing 777’s black box before it runs out of power.

The underwater search zone has been narrowed to around 500 square miles (1,300 square km) - roughly the size of Los Angeles.

Phillip Newell, commanding officer of HMS Echo, told Sky News: “We believe we have come close to that point now where we can move to the next stage and deploy a remote vehicle which can go down to the correct depth and search the sea bed.”

But, with batteries on the black boxes likely to have died, the search operation is set to be hampered this week by bad weather in the Indian Ocean.

2:35 pm

Here's more on the story that the black box batteries of the missing flight MH370 data recorder are - more than likely - dead.

No new electronic pings have been detected since Tuesday by an Australian ship dragging a US Navy device that listens for flight recorder signals.

Once officials are confident that no more sounds will be heard, a robotic submersible will be sent down to slowly scour for wreckage.

1:38 pm

It is looking more and more likely that the batteries on the black box belonging to the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 have died.

Following four strong underwater signals in the past week, all has gone quiet in the hunt for the missing Malaysia Airlines jet, reports the Press Association.

Despite having no new transmissions from the black boxes' locator beacons to go on, air and sea crews were continuing their search in the southern Indian Ocean today for debris and any sounds that may still be emanating.

No new electronic pings have been detected since Tuesday by an Australian ship dragging a US Navy device that listens for flight recorder signals.

Once officials are confident that no more sounds will be heard, a robotic submersible will be sent down to slowly scour for wreckage.

"We're now into Day 37 of this tragedy," said aviation expert Geoffrey Thomas. "The battery life on the beacons is supposed to last 30 days. We're hoping it might last 40 days. However, it's been four or five days since the last strong pings. What they're hoping for is to get one more, maybe two more pings so they can do a triangulation of the sounds and try and narrow the (search) area."

Flight MH370: who will get custody of black boxes?

Malaysian authorities are uncertain what to do with the black boxes from Flight 370 if they are located and brought to the surface from the Indian Ocean north-west of Perth.

The country’s Attorney-General Abdul Ghani Patail has flown to London to consult with the United Nations Civil Aviation Organisation and other experts about who should get custody of the boxes.

Under an international treaty, Malaysia is head of the investigation into the disappearance of the plane with 239 people on board on March 8. But facing accusations of incompetence in the largest and most complex investigation in its history, the government in Kuala Lumpur has called in international experts from countries including the US, Britain and France to join local investigators.

Australia has also been delegated to lead a multi-nation search of the southern Indian Ocean where the Boeing 777 is believed to have crashed after running out of fuel.

Malaysia’s acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein declined to elaborate on Mr Abdul Ghani's talks.

“I would like to address that when we actually do find the black box,” he said.

I guess that's all this will ever be, theories and assumptions. Like the comment that the JAL pilot didn't get a clear voice response from the MAS plane so that handily fits both the, 'disoriented by hypoxia' theory as well as the 'attempt to respond stifled under duress due to hijacking' theory.

The co-pilot's cellphone 'making a call' news leak was full of unusual technical terms for what possibly could be the phone, that had never been turned off (like probably 50% of mobile phones on any given flight) and was 'handshaking' with a cell tower that fleetingly was in range of the low-altitude flight path at that time. To embellish it with 'call attempt' and 'phone call cut off' is making more of it than it probably ever was. The categorical denial that a call was never made rules out ONLY that a call was never made. It leaves the phone/tower handshake possibility unanswered.

Having said that, and once again considering that there may have been half a dozen mobile phones left on and not in flight mode, maybe they should check if there was a rash of phones pinging that tower at the same time?

Edited by NanLaew

I can't imagine any 'external fire' on a jet aircraft, except in the engines, and there are fire extinguishers built in to extinguish those. A match barely strikes, and won't remain alight at 10,000' due to a lack of oxygen, so how could a fire outside the aircraft be sustained above that altitude, certainly not at 35,000'!!

Why would it eventually 'steady' after ascending?

I hear what you say about a slight turn, but after turning slightly left around Sumatra, heading toward Australia, it was then put on a more SSW heading to the point of impact. What mode would the autopilot have been on to achieve that?

I don't think the break in the fuselage affecting comms theory could possibly hold water. Do you know where the E&E bay is on the 777?

NanLaew asked,

"Regarding the statement "... meaning that they will not last long beyond their certified 30 Day life." Was that exactly what Dukane said, CNN assumed or you made up?.".

That came directly from a post on PPRuNe by somebody who had undertaken some research into FDR battery life, and a statement by a Malaysian official, indicating that the battery was due for replacement in June 2014. They have a life of about 8 years, but 6 years at worst allowing for 'shelf life', and its time was up in June, so one may assume, rightly or wrongly, that it probably wouldn't last much beyond its stated life, but once again, who knows? I think that's possibly a realistic assumption, and it may be borne out in reality since the 'pings' were fading, and there haven't been any reported for a day or two now, but I may be wrong on that, because it could just be that it's on reduced power??

"Why would it eventually 'steady' after ascending?"

The speed graph for any fixed level of thrust relative to altitude is a bell curve (as it increases at low altitudes due to decreasing wind resistance but decreases at high altitudes to a lack of air for the engines to push). Once the altitude reaches the right of the bell curve the plane begins to decelerate slowly straightening the plane up, as the plane straightens up, the rate of ascent decreases, the rate of straightening up therefore decreases in turn until it meets a point of equilibrium. For a 777 it would straighten up a little over 30,000 feet.

"hear what you say about a slight turn, but after turning slightly left around Sumatra, heading toward Australia, it was then put on a more SSW heading to the point of impact. What mode would the autopilot have been on to achieve that?"

There always exists a perfect curve between any two points on the globe. I hadn't looked at the co-ordinates of the positions when noting it headed towards Australia. The curve between last known location and the location of the alleged black box signals puts it heading roughly west over the Thailand Malay border, just over the top of Sumatra, heading to a peak westerly point of about 3000km west of Australia before starting to curve back in towards its final resting place.

"I don't think the break in the fuselage affecting comms theory could possibly hold water. Do you know where the E&E bay is on the 777?"

There are many ways comms could fail, they could manually be shut down in the event of an electrical fire, the decompression could affect wiring related to the comms systems, etc. A decompression event and the comms failing could be unrelated too and while theories that require multiple unrelated failures are typically unlikely, most modern aviation disasters are in fact a result of multiple unrelated failures (mainly because safety systems typically prevent a single point of failure). My main point was to illustrate that there is no evidence to indicate that the plane was piloted once it had reached the low of 5000 feet.

Oil slick detected in search area
Agence France Presse

SYDNEY: -- An oil slick has been detected in the Indian Ocean within the search area for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 but has yet to be analysed, the Australian leading the operation said on Monday.

"I can report that (Australian ship) Ocean Shield detected an oil slick on Sunday evening in her current search area," Angus Houston said.

Meanwhile, an Australian vessel leading the hunt for missing Malaysian jet MH370 will deploy a mini-sub "as soon as possible", the head of the search said on Monday.

"Ocean Shield will cease searching with the towed pinger locator later today and deploy the autonomous underwater vehicle Bluefin-21 as soon as possible," said Angus Houston, who fronts the Joint Agency Coordination Centre.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-14

Oil slick detected in search area

Agence France Presse

SYDNEY: -- An oil slick has been detected in the Indian Ocean within the search area for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 but has yet to be analysed, the Australian leading the operation said on Monday.

"I can report that (Australian ship) Ocean Shield detected an oil slick on Sunday evening in her current search area," Angus Houston said.

Meanwhile, an Australian vessel leading the hunt for missing Malaysian jet MH370 will deploy a mini-sub "as soon as possible", the head of the search said on Monday.

"Ocean Shield will cease searching with the towed pinger locator later today and deploy the autonomous underwater vehicle Bluefin-21 as soon as possible," said Angus Houston, who fronts the Joint Agency Coordination Centre.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-04-14

Five weeks later, after a variety of bad weather including a cyclone?