Thammasat unveils new rice strain

Lite Beer

Thammasat unveils new rice strain
Thammarat Kijchalong
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thammasat University has unveiled a new strain of jasmine rice that could better withstand drought and pests, yield more produce and be grown in and out of season.

The non-GMO rice strain, which reportedly boasts a better quality than jasmine rice 105, had its patent registered at the Agriculture Ministry on March 5.

The Thammasat jasmine rice had previously been registered for patent at the Commerce Ministry, said Professor Boonhong Chongkid of the university's Department of Agricultural Technology, Faculty of Science and Technology.

He said the rice took only 60 days to blossom compared to jasmine rice 105's 100 days period while respective yield was 900-1,200 kilograms per rai compared to 500 kilograms per rai.

The academic said the new rice would be given to Pathum Thani farmers near the university’s Rangsit Campus to grow in an experiment before expanding it to other central provinces.

The rice has been introduced in the university’s 80th anniversary celebration, which involves various activities until June 27.

Another event is a nine-episode reality show titled "Khao Klang Muang" (Rice in Downtown City), which aims to educate society about the importance of rice and farmers.

Assoc Prof Harirak Sutabutr, chairman of the anniversary celebration's organising committee, said filming of the show was ongoing and it involved nine participants taking a seed of the new rice to their home or office to prove it can grow anywhere.

Another anniversary event is a photography contest titled the "80th anniversary of Thammasat University: yesterday, today and tomorrow". For details: www.tu80th-contest.com.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-09

• Like 2

Good job this wasn't being grown commercially two years ago or there would be 50 million tons in storage rather than 20.

Joking aside. The world already produces enough rice, maybe more than enough judging by the way the price is falling.

All this will do is result in lower prices and more Thai farmers giving up rice farming.

• Like 2

It should bring down the per kilo cost of production massively. Everyone is moaning that thai rice is high cost. This isn't so much to do with labour as it is to do with love yielding strains.

Hom Mali might be sought after but at the end of the day, it yield very low and is only grown once a year. In reality, half the land being used for rice probably shouldn't be any way.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What they dont say is how they got this new strain. Given thailands lack of concern for the quality of foods this troubles me deeply. Was it genetic altering, chemicals, or ??
I think patent doesnt make it safe. It will be a good thing for thailand only if they can prove to the world the new strain is safe for consumption at world standards. This article lacks significant information to say more

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The report said it is not GMO. I would imagine it came about by centuries old methods pioneered by Gregor Mendel, ie selective breeding.

What they dont say is how they got this new strain. Given thailands lack of concern for the quality of foods this troubles me deeply. Was it genetic altering, chemicals, or ??

I think patent doesnt make it safe. It will be a good thing for thailand only if they can prove to the world the new strain is safe for consumption at world standards. This article lacks significant information to say more

The report said it is not GMO. I would imagine it came about by centuries old methods pioneered by Gregor Mendel, ie selective breeding.

Key words you said. I would imagine!! I can imagine a lot. But until its proved safe i would never buy it. I take enough chances already buying market and street foods here.

Yes... Just another advancement for Thailand from those nice folks in the elite ridden capital/south for the benefit of those in the north who would have you believe that they could flourish without them.

The red crew will be along in a minute to tell us 'these people could be from the north'.... In your dreams.

Dolly the new rice strain

To me it all sounds far too good to be true, there must be something they're not telling

But will it withstand rice scam's?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Indeed, I was wondering what kind of 'pests' it's resistant to ;)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Indeed, I was wondering what kind of 'pests' it's resistant to ;)

The kind that asks too many questions :-)

Just what we need...MORE rice.....they can't even shift the mouldy stuff in storage. Flood the market and prices per tonne will drop even further. Perhaps every student up north should take economics 101 and understand about supply and demand.

• Like 1

Indeed, I was wondering what kind of 'pests' it's resistant to wink.png

Not politicians unfortunately.

If it is not impervious to corruption, then it is worthless research. thumbsup.gif

That is unfortunately so true in this case

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It sounds interesting. non-GMO, higher yields. What would perhaps be even more important in the future is whether it is reliant on intensive fertilizer, pesticide, and/or herbicide use. Those are the killers for farmers high, causing high production costs. Higher and quicker yields should help somewhat.

• Like 1

Nice, that this new rice strain could better withstand drought and pests.

But the biggest challenge would be: can it withstand government corruption??????wai2.gif

Hooray! New record.

Just the 2nd comment and already gets political.

Impressive!

• Like 1

Every single grain of rice has a micro-chip and recognition barcode imbedded in them which change into vitamin K when boiled for 10 minutes or are steamed in rice cookers!!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE