Phuket Opinion: Road safety: what we’re doing wrong

Lite Beer

Interesting insight that touches on some salient points but misses the target by a mile.

There was little or no mention regarding the failure of the police to enforce traffic laws rigorously and for the judiciary to punish offenders including the police for usurping their position and taking bribes. If the public and the police were to come to the point where they new that transgressions of the law will result in serious actions against them and it would be swift and sure,then you would get a better result than simply talking about the problem. Until you fix both the judiciary and the police force it will simply be business as usual in Thailand.

First of all at checkpoints everybody without helmet is fined.

But most importantly, it sounds like you're one of the persons who should not be on the road. Driving 40-50 really is asking for others to be surprised and take risks. You sound just like my wife, slowly slowly'. No, driving at about the same speed as the other traffic is much safer.

I'm sure everyone has noticed that as soon as the sun has set, safety helmets are removed and either left at home or hung on the handle bars.

The same logic occurs in other parts of Asia, but the reasons have yet to be made clear to me, apart from one a student told me about, and that's 'because the police have all gone home'.

Personally, if the Government and the Police did their job, there'd be an immediate crack-down, no excuses, bikes impounded for drivers with no helmets. It would only take days for the message to sink in.

The deaths of the young folk could be reduced dramatically.

The press could play their part, by publicising the need for head protection. The concrete does not soften after sunset.

So wearing helmets will stop accidents will it? Why not concentrate on stopping the cause of accidents?