Thinking Of Moving To Thailand

Hi all, I've been browsing the forums for a while now and thought it was time to say join up and say hello, and of course ask some advice!

My situation is this: I own and live in a house in the UK which I am currently trying to sell, once this is done the plan is to rent somewhere dirt cheap for six months then off to Thailand!

(oh and in this six month period I will be taking a TEFL course)

Originally I was thinking Chiang Mai as I do love it there but I'm not 100% sure yet as obviously being near the sea would be lovely also.

One thing I have thought of doing is working as a volunteer in a animal charity (I love animals and it's my passion to work helping them), I've found one that provides free accommodation on one of the Ko Lanta but I have never been there so wondered does anyone have any thoughts?

On this line would I need a volunteer visa and would I get that once there or before I go?

After doing this for a few months I would want to look for paid work, probably teaching as I appreciate there is little else to do, at this point I may have to look at moving as I don't know what sort of work there is on Ko Lanta.

Another question for you: Would I be better off forgetting about the volunteering thing, moving over to Chiang Mai and then looking for a job and then maybe look into the volunteering thing during school holidays?

Next question: If all goes to plan I will have around £15,000, I would like to leave £5000 in a UK account so if it all goes horribly wrong I have something to come back to. Realistically would £10k last me a good long time (ie whilst volunteering with plenty left over for luxuries)?

Ideally I would love to work part time for a while and enjoy the easy life but from what I understand it is not possible to get a work visa unless I work 30 hours or more, is this the case?

Ok sorry to throw all this out there but one more question before I shut up.

I have 2 small dogs that I will be taking with me, I've already looked into the ways and means of getting them into the country but will I have a problem finding somewhere to live with them in tow? I can't bear to leave them so it could be a deal breaker.

Thank you so much for any advice you can give, hope I haven't bored you stupid!

- Oliver

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rent the house in the uk rather than sell if possible.

Well the house also belongs to me and my ex wife so need to sell it to split our last remaining joint asset.

Plus we would only get about £75 each a month after paying the mortgage which would be nothing if say the boiler blew for example.

As the OP may require several moves within Thailand before finding a nice place to live, a job teaching, or volunteering for animal welfare, I would suggest that he seriously consider the logistical difficulties in bringing along 2 dogs and their proper care and accommodation before he is well established in LOS,

• Like 2

There is a fee to pay but it is only £200 and you get half back on completion of 1 month volunteering, however I have been in contact with them and they are unable to accomodate my dogs so would have to pay for my own place which is not really feasible when only volunteering.

There is however a place you can volunteer in your free time in Chiang Mai so this may be an option later down the line.

I must admit I thought Chiang Mai was one of the cheaper places vs work availability? ie not as many jobs or as well paid as Bangkok but a lot cheaper to live and a reasonable supply of jobs, as opposed to the coastal places which, from my understanding, have very little in the way of jobs. Am I wrong?

Chiang Mai isn't set in stone but I do love it there and I have a farang friend who has been there for over 10 years who would be able to help me settle in, on the other hand the idea of living near a beach is very tempting!

Would I really struggle on 30,000bht a month given that I have my savings? I know I shouldn't be blowing them all but as long as some is put aside for if/when I return to the UK I'd rather have the lifestyle over there

I'm 38 now and really want to move on with my life, fed up of this country and always thought I would move to Australia but have really fallen in love with Thailand (and it's a lot cheaper/easier to move to!) and I'll be honest my biggest concern is job security in a foreign country (as already commented bringing the dogs makes it a lot harder to just up and move back here).

Edited by Ojivar

I think moving the dogs will be tough but it's not impossible. I know people who have done it but they said it took a lot of paperwork and months or even over a year waiting for it all to finalize. Don't know what the deal was, there.

Be advised that many find out when they do the move like you that they do not like teaching. A lot of people seem to think teachers have an easy job (not saying you think that) but I highly respect the best teachers and it's a tough job. To do the job well it's very demanding, time consuming, often stressful and is more a labor of love and often with little appreciation for a job well done.

And if you turn out not to be good at it, it will be even worse!

I know many friends who've taught in Thailand for years, though, and while most probably manage and tolerate it, there are a few that really love it.

I am not one of those people. Teaching was rarely enjoyable for me. I did enjoy teaching adults as they actually wanted to learn, whereas you have to force the little ones to pay attention! I do miss my students at times and wonder what's happened to some of them, though.

Ko Lanta .. Nice idea, but have you ever seen a school there ? My friend used to do a bit of voluntary teaching there, there was no budget for a western teacher. I used to live there 14 years ago, before there was a real road, my wife and I return every few years and cant believe the price of everything.

You are better off looking for somewhere on the mainland. Chaing Mai, isnt it a bit over saturated there, im not sure ? In the South, I would look to Nakhon or Surat, then you have the advantage of getting away on the long weekends, the cost of living will be cheaper, better rental houses and there will be more opportunities to do extra work ( not necessarily for the cash, but just something a bit different, maybe adult classes or one-on-one ).

To volunteer in Thailand is for suckers, Thailand doesn't need volunteers

the government look down on them and somebody is making money from you.

I don't know your educational qualifications but a TEFL no longer does the trick you need a degree to teach in most cases, unless you work without a work permit.

If you need any help PM me.

And just to add, don't listen to the TEFL courses that promise you it's ok to teach without the degree, from what I hear most do say this.

Like the man above says, no degree, no WP.

Edited by lostmebike

Koh lanta is nice in high season. I went there in July and all the tourist areas on klong dao beach were closed and the beach was filthy. Not a lot going on. Chiang mai air is unhealthy in March April and it can get very hot midday. In those months. Late May brings relief with the rainy season. Which lasts through October. It is a great place to live. I have adopted it as my home and you can live on 10000 pounds with comforts.

Happy, joyous and free

Did your ex dump the dogs on you. Will she carry half the costs for you to bring them to Thailand, if not, forget them and move on with your life. Make your mind up Thailand or her and the dogs, you cannot afford both.

Good luck !

I did the same thing more than 15 years ago and I've never regretted it. But there are some caveats.

First (and others have commented on this) it is getting more and more difficult to get good teaching jobs if you don't have a degree, and you should also be careful in selecting your TEFL course. There are a lot of courses on offer in Thailand that aren't worth the paper that the certificate is issued on, because they do not actually teach you to teach, they aren't accepted by the better employers in Thailand and they are absolutely useless if you decide to move on to another country. I would suggest that you do either a Cambridge CELTA or the Trinity TESOL both of which are internationally recognised and do enable you to come out of the course and teach straight away.

You would find it very hard to get a teaching job on Koh Lanta but there are lots of places in the South where you can live and teach. Nakhorn Sri thammarat, Surat, Songkhla, Hatyai, Trang - all have good state schools, universities and private language schools who employ foreign teachers.

Salary levels are not as high as in other countries but outside of Bangkok the cost of living is pretty cheap and 30,000 Baht a month is a livable salary as long as you don't expect to lead a life of luxury. You can earn more than this and you'll find plenty of opportunities to top up your income as a teacher as long as you don't mind working hard.

Finally I would very strongly advise you against bringing the dogs as you will find that to considerably limit your lifestyle. I have personal experience of at least 3 teachers with dogs who found it almost impossible to rent accommodation at a reasonable cost because of the dogs since a lot of landlords just won't rent to people with pets. I share your love of animals but there are plenty of opportunities to put it to practical use locally just by caring for the abandoned animals which you will find wherever you live or work.

Good luck

Do not burn bridges...cut ties with your UK contacts and property...

You may want to return some day...hard to start over from scratch...

You may need to rent a house in Thailand...to keep your dogs...condos do not allow pets...

If you are thinking or have already taught in Asia, you will be aware

(in most cases) you will only be a warm body in the classroom.

Please don't be fooled into thinking, it's to educate the children!!

It's a business, to make money for the investors and teachers alike (Thai) even government ones.

Don't bother with TEFL or TESOL . Yes, they can give you some insight to teaching,

however, just get a few hours teaching for an agent (low pay) will give you all you need to get started, and save a heap of cash and time. I know I have been here in Thailand since 1998.

• Like 2

Koh lanta is nice in high season. I went there in July and all the tourist areas on klong dao beach were closed and the beach was filthy. Not a lot going on. Chiang mai air is unhealthy in March April and it can get very hot midday. In those months. Late May brings relief with the rainy season. Which lasts through October. It is a great place to live. I have adopted it as my home and you can live on 10000 pounds with comforts.

Happy, joyous and free

I have lived on Koh Samui for the past 8 years, its hot time now, but always lovely sea breezes, this island is big enough for whatever you want, busy tourist spots such as Chaweng or Lamai, but here in Maenam, life is rather quiet with just about the best beach on Samui, you can get a bungalow for around Bht 5000 mth, but mine is only 12 months old and very modern Bht 9000, electricity very cheap avg Bht 500 mth, household water free, drinking water Bht 25 for 20 ltrs. just down the road i can get a plate of fried rice with prawn and a small bottle of beer for Bht100...........suits me, would'nt be anywhere else.

• Like 1

For get about it you are too young for a permanent move to Thailand especially without a degree. You also have to many barriers for an easy stay, 2 dogs nothing but a problem. Sorry to say this but you do not really have a good solid plan that I would live on. Get a 2 entry tourist visa this will give you 6 months come over without the dogs have a look around check out all of the things you think you want to do and see how it goes. Then if you want to stay or can stay legally bring your dogs over.

I hear similar stories to yours nearly everyday here in Chiang Mai when it is finally fleshed out not much of a plan nor realistic to stay here long term.

Edited by moe666

Not sure of your whole life story but I would suggest you take a year or two if you can and think about this move. Unless you have a steady (not huge, but steady) income that makes allowances for currency fluctuations etc... I would stay where you are.

You may be frustrated now after coming out of a divorce at age 38, but as a reader of this forum I am sure you must have come across one (or a thousand) stories similar to yours.

Try Canada, US (if you can), South America, Central America...there are many better places that are easier to get work, easier visas, similar if not same cost of living. Crickey you have a UK passport that opens up a lot of Europe for you.

Unless you are infatuated with Thai women, I always wonder how people like you decide on Thailand......seriously.

As for teaching you will always find some dog shit school willing to pay you some low ball salary to work with a Teflon paper. You need a University Degree to get a work permit and TCT.

Go back to school get an Education Degree (less than 4 years) as a mature student and then look again.

• Like 2

You certainly have not bored me Ojivar, and I think you are doing the right thing although there is a lot more I don't know about your circumstances. Come to Thailand and rent a place. As for a TEFL course, which one you take should depend on whether you want to teach children in a government or private school, or a language school.

I took a TEFL course in Bangkok, it did not help me that much as I only wanted to teach children in an ordinary school, and my TEFL course was geared about 95% to working in a language school. Do you have a degree? It does not have to be in English, don't worry too much if you don't, if not, you may find it difficult to work in Bangkok where the salary for an English teacher is much higher than say up in the sticks.

If you get your TEFL certificate, and your appearance is good, you should not have a problem working up in the sticks, I am not sure about the teaching situation in Chaing Mai, I'm sure another Thaivisa member will be able to help you there.

If you need anymore help about teaching, feel free to PM me, sorry I can't advise you about your dogs, and if you live a reasonable lifestyle, then the money you mention should be OK if you are successful working as a teacher. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

• Like 1

Being a Brit you would probably have a better chance at finding a teaching job, but IMO the MOE is at war with foreign teachers. They are moving the bar so schools can justify offering lower salaries so we can't qualify for a higher paying job. Look at ajarn.com now. How many jobs do you see over 30K? Very few. IMO you can't live on 30K.

Myself, I hope to leave Thailand in the next month. Much better paying jobs in other countries close to here. Been here for 6 years and I have had enough.

I think that 30K a month is OK provided the OP is not a bar hopper or heavy drinker, and as he says, if he wants to rent a cheap place to live which is very easy. I paid only about 3000 a month in including electric, for a good place when I stayed in Minburi, and the same again when I was teaching in Nakhon Sawan.

i would hold off bringing the dogs over till ur settled somewhere semi ( at least ) permently

freind just brought some land ot build a house on the east coast of Koh Lanta ya 2.5 mil/rai an that was buying 5 rai!!

it is not cheap there at all.

To volunteer in Thailand is for suckers, Thailand doesn't need volunteers

the government look down on them and somebody is making money from you.

I don't know your educational qualifications but a TEFL no longer does the trick you need a degree to teach in most cases, unless you work without a work permit.

If you need any help PM me.

I disagree, if you have a TEFL, and have a good appearance, then most schools up in the sticks will give you a job and get you a work permit. I worked for three years, and my school got me a work permit no problem, but bear in mind, you will not get the wages up country that you get in Bangkok, and the Philipinos will work for less than you.

Hey oliver, really you should leave the dogs at home of you can. There's enought dogs over there already so you can pick yourslf up a few.

Plenty of dogs!

You can nick 1 or 2 from my neighbour if you want (bloody things!) or maybe even get a few from a karaoke bar! blink.pngbiggrin.png

• Like 2

Hello Ojivar.

Have you ever taught before? If so, have you taught children or adults and to what standard?

There is a big difference between teaching adults i,e, at university, language schools etc than in teaching a class room full of children.

If you have no teaching experience or qualifications then please think again - very carefully.

Teaching is not seen as some sort of easy way to get employed and pick up an income stream in the UK. Why should other countries be expected to accept less?

• Like 1