Am thinking about booking Thai Lion Air from BKK to CM

elgenon

They can't brag about their safety record but they are new in Thailand and have very low fares whilst they get established. You fly on brand new 737-900's. I have not flown on them but the next flight i take to BKK I will if I can get the 600, 800, 1000 baht airfare.

I flew them from CM to BKK.The actual plane is very comfortable and new. That said, if you are over 5"8" you may have a problem. I am 1.75 M with very long legs. My knees were pushed into the seat in front of me...could not put my feet under the seat very far. It was very uncomfortable for even an hour flight. I noticed the Thais (about 99% Asians on the flight) had about 4 inches space from their knees to the seat. Obviously geared for short Asians. The flight was delayed about 30 mins. Only a problem if you are trying to catch connection

Thanks Orchidlady. A lot cheaper than AA and the seats sound about the same. I am 6' 2" and I pray the person in front of me doesn't recline their seat the allowed 2".

Were you able to choose your seat? I didn't see an option on the website.

I agree with reply #3 entirely. I found leg room inadequate. I flew from CNX to Don Muang (their normal route). Otherwise excellent service and on time. (Plane 100% full, and for some weird reason they instructed passengers from rows 22 up to leave the plane first!!)

They don't fk you around like AA. You can pay with credit card online. NO extra charges. I paid about 2,500 baht return, which compares well with TG's 4,600. Choose seat at check-in.

I don't see why you need the cheapest fare if you are American. Do you realise that 2,500 baht is only $80??? Even TG is cheap for anyone from the West, even if you are an Old Age Pensioner.

Edited by blazes
  • Like 1

I will be flying with them for the first time in April return from DM to CM.Booked in December for 1,050 Baht return (650 there/400 return).15 KG luggage , unless you pay extra.Im only 173CM!.

Edited by nigel jeffrey

I have flown the shuttle between CNX DMK on a couple of occasions and they are OK. Seems to me the seats are a bit tighter than in Nok Air or Air Asia but other than that it is about the same. Thai Lion Air is good about giving out exit row seats without charging extra and if I can get a seat in that row then I have no problems with seating.

I have tried to pay for the tickets via credit card each time I booked on line but it never seems to work. Once I had to go to a travel kiosk in Tesco and pay 200 baht for them to issue me the ticket and the other time I drove to the airport and paid the fee at the Lion Air ticket window which saved the 200 baht service fee. My credit card is a US based one and that may have been the problem with using it online.

Most morning I can get a ticket from CNX to DMK for around 850 baht which is a good price. Afternoon returns tend to be a bit more.

Lion air is as big as airasia and originates from Indonesia. They have subsidiaries in Malaysia called malindo for some strange reason. It should be lion air malaysia for branding purposes. Their plan is to transform KL airport as a Hub for Indonesians to fly abroad as soekarno Hatta airport in Jakarta and changi maybe too congested. In other words, they are taking airasia by the neck and squeezing them in their own backyard. Besides, I think they control 80% of Indonesian domestic market of 200 million people.

The other lcc to look out for is jets tar owned by Qantas. But I think they are more interested in the developed market of Asia instead of developing new ones, like Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan apart from Australia.

All of Thai lion air planes are new. And they have two classes, economy and business. It's a all boeing 737-900 Er fleet.

In malaysia, they give 30kg baggage allowance to airasia's 20kg. So amazed at the 15kg allowance for lion air Thai.

Edited by sputjam
  • Like 1

I have flown the shuttle between CNX DMK on a couple of occasions and they are OK. Seems to me the seats are a bit tighter than in Nok Air or Air Asia but other than that it is about the same. Thai Lion Air is good about giving out exit row seats without charging extra and if I can get a seat in that row then I have no problems with seating.

I have tried to pay for the tickets via credit card each time I booked on line but it never seems to work. Once I had to go to a travel kiosk in Tesco and pay 200 baht for them to issue me the ticket and the other time I drove to the airport and paid the fee at the Lion Air ticket window which saved the 200 baht service fee. My credit card is a US based one and that may have been the problem with using it online.

Most morning I can get a ticket from CNX to DMK for around 850 baht which is a good price. Afternoon returns tend to be a bit more.

Have flown them many times. Good value

Being 6ft i always ask for an exit row seat & have always got one. No problems for leg room

They overweight charges are expensive so make sure no more than 15kg

Have recommended them to many. Not a rip off like AA & Nok

Hello, when I booked our flights from the US, we were on Cathay Pacific to BKK, I checked all flights and I chose Bangkok Air since it was right there at the main airport to fly to CM. I am flying to Thailand on the 29th of March from LAX to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific then taking Air Asia directly to CM. I was able to book all flight from home and Air Asia was a lot cheaper then Bangkok Air and I don't have to go to Bangkok first. Round trip HKG to CM $212.90us on Air Asia. Good Luck and have fun in CM !! wai2.gif

Edited by rsbg1

RSBG

How the heck did you book AA from the States? Did you use a credit or debit? What brand? My credit cards (2 brands) NEVER go through. I even called my credit card company to find out the problem and they said they had approved the transaction but AA didn't OK it.

There is now a Gap in the Philippine market, especially from BKK...

Air asia tok over Philappine air and promptly dropped most of it's Domestic routes

(In collusion with Cebu Pacific? Why collusion... well PAL and CEB fares from BKK are almost the same -
Noooo, no. no. that would be illegal)

Lion air is as big as airasia and originates from Indonesia. They have subsidiaries in Malaysia called malindo for some strange reason. It should be lion air malaysia for branding purposes. Their plan is to transform KL airport as a Hub for Indonesians to fly abroad as soekarno Hatta airport in Jakarta and changi maybe too congested. In other words, they are taking airasia by the neck and squeezing them in their own backyard. Besides, I think they control 80% of Indonesian domestic market of 200 million people.
The other lcc to look out for is jets tar owned by Qantas. But I think they are more interested in the developed market of Asia instead of developing new ones, like Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan apart from Australia.

All of Thai lion air planes are new. And they have two classes, economy and business. It's a all boeing 737-900 Er fleet.
In malaysia, they give 30kg baggage allowance to airasia's 20kg. So amazed at the 15kg allowance for lion air Thai.

RSBG

How the heck did you book AA from the States? Did you use a credit or debit? What brand? My credit cards (2 brands) NEVER go through. I even called my credit card company to find out the problem and they said they had approved the transaction but AA didn't OK it.

I thought is was easy just went to there web sight picked what I wanted and paid with my credit card. I had no problems, once it was paid I printed out my tickets and done. I did the same thing for Bangkok air back in October, right from my computer at home here in Las Vegas.

Edited by rsbg1

Aiyaa! SOOOO frustrating. And I have to bother my friend in BKK to book for me. Did you use debit or credit? Visa or Master? What brand?

Thanks.

It was a Visa card from Well's Fargo, the same card I use when we are there in CM.. No probs. so far.. lol

Aiyaa! SOOOO frustrating. And I have to bother my friend in BKK to book for me. Did you use debit or credit? Visa or Master? What brand?

Thanks.

It was a Visa card from Well's Fargo, the same card I use when we are there in CM.. No probs. so far.. lol

Come to think about it, my friend who is also going when I go bought here tickets from here in Las Vegas same as me, not sure what card was used... But it all worked.. ;)

I can't help but think that a third tier asian low cost airline can't have very good or experienced pilots and mechanics. Lets say the best are picked by the airlines like Thai Air, Singapore Air and Malaysia Airline. The second best are picked by malaysian and singaporean low cost carriers like Air Asia, Tiger Airwars and so on. Only then can a company like Lion Air probably compete. The fact that it's an Indonesia airline is not very comforting as most carriers from there are barred from flying into Europe.

I think I'll stick with Air Asia for now.

• Like 1

Where else do they fly to from DM. Is it only CM? If you look at their route map Bangkok is not there.

Den

They have started to fly to Hat Yai.

Before, they did fly to Jakarta, but this route has been cancelled (no wonder, there is an incredible competition within the LCC's).

Flights to KUL have been planned, but they did not start yet.

LION does not have the best reputation in Indonesia. They had their fair share of scandals and investigations.

Pilots and cabin crew on drugs, and such things......

They got a serious warning by the Aviation authority of Indonesia a few years ago due to their disastrous on-time performance, the government was threatening to revoke their operational licence.

they had a Crash-landing with a lot of fatalities years ago (in Yogya or Solo, cannot remember now) , and a recent (2013) serious over-running-the-runway in BALI with no fatalties (and if you know Bali Airport, you for sure DO NOT WANT to experience a runway-overrunningas a PAX on board)

people in Indonesia fly them simply because they are BY FAR the cheapest (Air Asia in Indo can be VERY expensive, more expensive than Garuda), and in many cases, there are no alternative carriers (BATAVIA AIR went bankrupt a year ago) other than the usually expensive GARUDA - an EXCELLENT Airline nowadays, BTW. Forget THAI AIR.

as well, due to their aggressive pricing, they control near to 70% of the domestic market. How they can make a profit in Indo or now in Thailand, is a mystery to me.

I probably had more flights on the real LION AIR than any other TV member here, and certainly more than 100 domestic flights in Indo overall in the past 5 years, so I dare to say I can judge the conditions. Flew LION 3 times in Indo in February 2014.

Not too happy flying them, but as I mentioned, in many cases few or no alternatives to be had.

A smell of dishonesty is among the management. As has been mentioned in this topic, they now only allow 15 KG and charge big for overweight luggage.

But no Info on baggage rules on all of their websites anymore ! they simply deleted all Info.

In Indo, they used to have 20 KG lugggage allowance on dometic flights, but without any announcement, they reduced this to 15, and I was caught by surprise when I checked in and had to pay extra-charges. When I questioned the check-in staff about those policies, they said since a few weeks it is like that, and showed me a small Info-sheet, that was placed at the check in desk. No Info about that on their website, no more Info at all about luggage rules. so be aware !

Again, they are cheap, and this is why most fly them. I certainly will (have to) fly them in the future, but there is no doubt I feel a lot more safe on an AirAsia Aircraft, or Garuda, or THAI AIR or Bangkok Air......

To be fair, I had a good experience with them in February on a rather SCARY flight landing in YOGYA from UJUNG PANDANG, where due to very bad weather and sheer winds, the touch down had to be aborted by the Captain twice when we were maybe just 300 Meters above ground.

we had to cruise around Java island for more than 45 minutes and the Captain already alerted us we would probably have to land at Jakarta or Surabaya instead, until we suddenly tried to land a third time, but approaching the runway from the West and not the East as usual in Yogya.

We then landed safely (albeit with many pale faces on board) and the Captain actually did a great Job and particularly made clear and understandable announcements at all time, something that is not a matter of course in South-East-Asia. I wished all captains of LION would be like that.....

• 6 months later...

I bought tickets through the website www.lionairthai.com issued them at Maxim and Anton, but after finished booking website change Anton to another name (MUFVUL). It looks like a bug on website, but company no want to change passenger name. Be Careful using website for buy tickets. As for me I will no longer use the services of the airline.