Expensive helmet necessary for slow riding?

Right, Allan- first there are no statistics (there are), then there could be no statistics (there can), and then, as they don't jibe with your assumptions based on no real-world experience of your own, they can't possibly be valid (and yet, the people on this board who actually wear full-face helmets would agree with the test findings).

You are also ignoring the fact that the field-of-view of helmets has improved in the 18 years since the test was done.

Sometimes, Allan, it's necessary to realize that the people who have actually ridden in the real world in various scenarios know what they're talking about, and that perhaps you need to look beyond your preconceptions.

I can barely see the edge of my RF-1100 unless I force my eyes to the side (I cannot see it in the periphery of my vision at all)- wearing a helmet or not, I would turn my head slightly before doing that- I have never once experienced a situation where my helmet caused a narrowing of my field-of-vision.

Go out a buy a high-quality helmet, use it for a while, and then come back with a valid opinion, as nothing else could possibly be relevant to you, otherwise you will always be reduced to a contrary position based on nothing.

I have been in Thailand over six years and ride into a busy town on average twice a day, so don't tell me I have no real world experience. The test, whenever it was conducted is/was bogus, there is no way of accurately testing this subject (the unexpected) and there are no statistics showing what might have been. Is that clear enough?

Don't you get it "the riders compensated for the loss of lateral vision", how could they do that, unless they were looking for it and why would they be looking for it unless someone told them it was there? If others on this board believe such a bogus test, it wouldn't be the first time a whole bunch of people were fooled.

If you can "force your eyes to the side" and see it, then it is within your peripheral vision and what has seeing the edge of you huge 1100cc bike have to do with using your peripheral vision to see an unexpected hazard?

I have never once experienced a situation where my helmet caused a narrowing of my field-of-vision. How do you know you haven't missed something, if you didn't see it? Have you always ridden with another rider alongside and who's to say he wasn't wearing a full face helmet and missed it too? That statement is complete nonsense.

Actually if you are riding around on a big 1100cc bike and I regularly ride through a busy town on a 110cc Honda Wave, I would suggest I have the greater experience in this particular case.

• Like 1

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has got boring. Let's agree that a full face helmet offers maximum protection and everything else is a trade off and you really have to me mad or have a death wish not to wear a helmet. By helmet I mean quality helmet and in reply to the OP 3000 Baht is not expensive for a helmet. I paid 24,000 Baht for carbon but you would pay at least that for minor hospital treatment. A replacement tooth costs 40,000 Baht. So I would suggest the OP buy a good quality full face Moto Cross helmet if he is scootering around Phuket or wherever if he doesn't want to look like Valentino Rossi on a Scoopy.

• Like 2

^^

You have no real-world experience with proper, quality gear (we're talking about helmets- I've owned many and can comment on their performance- how about you?)- everybody and their brother has ridden at least a scooter in LOS, most of them with little to no skill, and based on your posts you fit right in with them. I ride my Wave or MSX-125 nearly everyday, and I ride my big bike (which is actually 1441cc) a few times per week- after riding 13 years in LOS, and nearly 25 years between here and in other countries, you could suggest you have greater riding experience, but you'd again be wrong.

Peripheral vision is your full field of vision when your pupils are fixed on a point- it's not the same as lateral vision. What you don't seem to understand is that- wearing a helmet or not- we turn our heads to the side to one degree or another when we look to the side- the slightest movement that might be necessary when wearing a full-face helmet is in no way a compromise to your vision, and the added safety benefit of 35% more potential impact area in an accident is a huge advantage.

My point of 'forcing my eyes to the side' was hopefully to illustrate how wide my helmet's field-of-vision actually is, meaning that I would turn my head slightly in any case before doing that, helmet or not, but that was beyond you, it seems...

The bottom line is that I can speak knowledgeably because I've actually done what I'm referring to (wearing a full-face helmet in a variety of traffic conditions)- your specialty is nonsense (I still love your theory that a skilled rider is at a safety disadvantage to an unskilled rider from another thread- that was classic), so I wouldn't expect much else from you.

That said, do what you think is best, Allan- it may very well work out, or it might maim or kill you- I hope it's the former, but it's your life.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

This thread has got boring. Let's agree that a full face helmet offers maximum protection and everything else is a trade off and you really have to me mad or have a death wish not to wear a helmet. By helmet I mean quality helmet and in reply to the OP 3000 Baht is not expensive for a helmet. I paid 24,000 Baht for carbon but you would pay at least that for minor hospital treatment. A replacement tooth costs 40,000 Baht. So I would suggest the OP buy a good quality full face Moto Cross helmet if he is scootering around Phuket or wherever if he doesn't want to look like Valentino Rossi on a Scoopy.

I agree with you- it has gotten boring (and I haven't helped- I've been stuck in the house while some work is being done on it, so I'm bored and have been using the forum for amusement;)).

I think I'll give it a rest from here- I've made my point and beaten it I to the ground- I need to listen more to what another excellent poster once told me- 'I don't give a sh!t what anyone else does'.:)

• Like 1

^^

You have no real-world experience with proper, quality gear- everybody and their brother has ridden at least a scooter in LOS, most of them with little to no skill, and based on your posts you fit right in with them. I ride my Wave or MSX-125 nearly everyday, and I ride my big bike (which is actually 1441cc) a few times per week- after riding 13 years in LOS, and nearly 25 years between here and in other countries, you could suggest you have greater riding experience, but you'd again be wrong.

Peripheral vision is your full field of vision when your pupils are fixed on a point- it's not the same as lateral vision. What you don't seem to understand is that- wearing a helmet or not- we turn our heads to the side to one degree or another when we look to the side- the slightest movement that might be necessary when wearing a full-face helmet is in no way a compromise to your vision, and the added safety benefit of 35% more potential impact area in an accident is a huge advantage.

The bottom line is that I can speak knowledgeably because I've actually done what I'm referring to (wearing a full-face helmet in a variety of traffic conditions)- your specialty is nonsense (I still love your theory that a skilled rider is at a safety disadvantage to an unskilled rider from another thread- that was classic), so I wouldn't expect much else from you.

That said, do what you think is best, Allan- it may very well work out, or it might maim or kill you- I hope it's the former, but it's your life.

I notice you don't comment on the test you and many others believe is accurate, when it clearly a "set up". Or how you know you have never missed anything, wearing your full face helmet.

So your RF 1100 is actually 1441cc, mmmm...was that designed to catch me out?clap2.gif

Riding experience "in this case" I said, we all know you are a "big shot" Rubber Side Down, ..or are you referring to condoms? biggrin.png

So you have experience in wearing quality gear, just how many crashes have you had, testing this quality gear to know that it works? I hope it is none....

As someone else had said, this is getting boring, the question is an expensive helmet or not and the answer we all agree on is don't buy rubbish and then the choice is OF or FF for town use. The OP has some opinions, with reasons and can make now make his choice.

One thing, the little white bits of string around your wrists, ...they don't work.

If its boring you, simple, just don't read it..

My choice, as i said is to not wear a full face helmet..my choice entirely, and you have the gall to call me mad or that i have a deathwish...bizarre..

I am afflicted by neither of the two, so how about just respecting my choice instead of name calling and making up assumptions and about my character.

I do it my way and have done for a long time and will continue to do so...

PS ..trying to understand this POV about being so adamant on helmets and ones own perception of whats dangerous or not and why some posters are so paranoid about "what if'..more and more of this i read i think the big issue between myself and you and RSDown and a lot of others is maybe a generation gap [or two]

The most crucial time in biking is your initial learning/experience years..most likely time to take a fall eg as you are not yet competent and understanding of the physics etc of motorbike control..

At this time in my life a helmet was only required if you exceeded 50kph.so i learnt the hard miles sans helmet [and obviously survived]

I/we didn't even think of a helmet at that time,when you probably in retrospect most needed one..

The whole world was so much less wrapped in cotton wool in all areas and 'freedom'' really did exist then.

You made a choice that suited you, not what all the "experts" think is suited for you..your choice, your consequence!

Anyway guys its all about the joy of riding a bike.. how you decide to do it is up to you, but dont name call others who may not have the same ideals as you do...wai2.gif

^^

You have no real-world experience with proper, quality gear- everybody and their brother has ridden at least a scooter in LOS, most of them with little to no skill, and based on your posts you fit right in with them. I ride my Wave or MSX-125 nearly everyday, and I ride my big bike (which is actually 1441cc) a few times per week- after riding 13 years in LOS, and nearly 25 years between here and in other countries, you could suggest you have greater riding experience, but you'd again be wrong.

I notice you don't comment on the test you and many others believe is accurate, when it clearly a "set up". Or how you know you have never missed anything, wearing your full face helmet.

So your RF 1100 is actually 1441cc, mmmm...was that designed to catch me out?clap2.gif

Riding experience "in this case" I said, we all know you are a "big shot" Rubber Side Down, ..or are you referring to condoms? biggrin.png

So you have experience in wearing quality gear, just how many crashes have you had, testing this quality gear to know that it works? I hope it is none....

As someone else had said, this is getting boring, the question is an expensive helmet or not and the answer we all agree on is don't buy rubbish and then the choice is OF or FF for town use. The OP has some opinions, with reasons and can make now make his choice.

One thing, the little white bits of string around your wrists, ...they don't work.

He is just presenting the facts, everyone knows full face is better and safer and your crazy comments don't change that one bit. I seen posts of you before on other topics. You have absolutely no credibility.

I rather go for the word of an experienced driver who backs his talk up with tests and data then someone like you who states a lot but does not back up a thing.

When i was 18 i had a bike crash.. wore full face. Person on the back did not, he had quite some damage to the face. We were not going fast as the bike was only 50cc two stroke. So it would be around 60-70 max. I already knew before to wear full face but after that I never looked back.

As for the loss of vision.. that is just a load of BS as you move your head on your bike and use your mirrors a lot. That is if you are constantly aware of what is going around (have to admit we all have our bad moments but then the supposed extra vision wont safe you as your already not paying attention)

• Like 2

^^^

OK, Allan, if you're really so desirous of my attention I'll post again... :)

The RF-1100 (which has been referenced many times on this thread and others) is a helmet- it was designed to be a reference most riders would have gotten without further description, but I forgot who I was dealing with... I think Suzuki used to make an RF900, though...;)

I'm actually fully aware that you ride an NV400 and have looked up the specs out of curiosity (and I've mentioned to you that it's similar to the bike I learned to ride on) and have followed your thread re: your difficulties- I tend to pay attention to what others are riding (as well as where they're riding, what gear they're using, what mods they're doing, etc) as far as the forum goes- I don't expect you to be an expert on my posts, but as a regular poster you should at least have some clue (though perhaps you're too wrapped up in your own little bubble).

You're the one that brought up riding experience- I know that it would only be relevant if you were ahead- now that you know you're not, it's just another fact to be discarded- it's difficult to take you seriously, Allan.

I've crashed big bikes twice, both times in quality gear- both times I walked away- I crashed my Wave wearing basically nothing as far as gear and was quite injured (even though I was only going about 40kph). It was incredibly stupid on my part, and I learned from it- I also learned how badly a relatively low-speed accident can hurt you. I would be very happy if someone could learn from that example and avoid the same situation.

You're the King of dismissing relevant comments, so I'm surprised you can actually bring up my ignoring one of yours- as I said, my helmet allows me full peripheral vision, which is how I know I haven't missed anything (though you missed it the first time I mentioned it). Having had years of experience wearing a full-face helmet, I can easily understand why the test I linked is completely relevant to the real-world- you however, have no such understanding.

Edited by RubberSideDown

If its boring you, simple, just don't read it..

My choice, as i said is to not wear a full face helmet..my choice entirely, and you have the gall to call me mad or that i have a deathwish...bizarre..

I am afflicted by neither of the two, so how about just respecting my choice instead of name calling and making up assumptions and about my character.

I do it my way and have done for a long time and will continue to do so...

PS ..trying to understand this POV about being so adamant on helmets and ones own perception of whats dangerous or not and why some posters are so paranoid about "what if'..more and more of this i read i think the big issue between myself and you and RSDown and a lot of others is maybe a generation gap [or two]

The most crucial time in biking is your initial learning/experience years..most likely time to take a fall eg as you are not yet competent and understanding of the physics etc of motorbike control..

At this time in my life a helmet was only required if you exceeded 50kph.so i learnt the hard miles sans helmet [and obviously survived]

I/we didn't even think of a helmet at that time,when you probably in retrospect most needed one..

The whole world was so much less wrapped in cotton wool in all areas and 'freedom'' really did exist then.

You made a choice that suited you, not what all the "experts" think is suited for you..your choice, your consequence!

Anyway guys its all about the joy of riding a bike.. how you decide to do it is up to you, but dont name call others who may not have the same ideals as you do...wai2.gif

Ah! The thread suddenly got interesting again. Please forgive me if you feel insulted. I would never deliberately insult anyone. However if you were mad how would you know? My tuning guy won't wear a helmet and I always tease him about his kevlar headscarf, but he IS mad he's been breathing dyno fumes for so long. Anyway I am just going to post a topic about bike riding. Maybe you could give us some input.

post-202194-0-77269000-1395470218_thumb.

Edited by ATF
  • Like 1

Not wearing a helmet or not wearing a full face helmet is a choice. I would not do it, but arguing that half face helmets are as safe as full face and that you loose vitally important vision if wearing one that is what just crazy.

I would never tell anyone what they have to wear but i just comment on B.s arguments.

I agree, Rob- it's the misinformation I have a problem with more than anything else.

For a long time I have placed a lot of importance on peripheral vision (along with my other senses) and it goes back to my Karate days, where we were taught that keeping an opponent in your peripheral vision gives you an advantage. This is because the action/reaction time is faster if you use peripheral vision, than using your direct vision and I personally found this to be true.

Then, to a lesser extent, there is the London Taxi driver rule. If a taxi driver sees that you have seen him, he will continue on, even to the point of running you down, if not he will slow down (possibly swear) and I certainly found this to be true in my years around the capital. If he is kept in your peripheral vision he will think you haven't seen him and slow down. This possibly applies to some of these mad kids on the here road too.

I don't know why some of you keep repeating that FF helmets are safer than OF, it is obvious they are, the face/jaw is protected. But I am more interested in avoiding accidents, (especially here in Thailand and at my age) than surviving one and do everything I can to do that. I see no overall advantage in not wearing a helmet, so I always wear one. I am sure I ride slower than most of you guys and that is my choice to stay safe, although I do exceed the OP's 40kph, but not by much.

Now that my NV is up and running (fingers crossed) I am looking at an FF for touring, which is a completely different environment.

We finally hear from highly skilled, seeing all RSD, that he has had a few bike accidents, whereas hundreds of thousands of unskilled Thais riding every day of their lives have had silch, Kind of demonstrates my point that the higher the level of skill, can often lead to a higher accident rate, albeit with those in the middle being of a mixed bag.

You can stick with one FF v OF issue if you wish and keep hammering it home til the cows come home.

'F' it- reply deleted- you're absolutely right, Allan- if you agreed with me, we'd both be wrong, right?;)

I need to choose the people with whom I interact on this forum more carefully- my bad.:)

Remember, though, kiddies- the less skilled you are, the safer you are on the road in LOS- you might think differently, but you'd be wrong- you learn something new everyday on this forum.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 2

ANOTHER karate reference (which I though might actually pop up)? That has zero relevance- you really have to be joking, Allan, as well as again commenting how 'hundreds of thousands of unskilled Thais' have never had an accident, when you'd be hard-pressed to find a single one who rides regularly that hasn't met the pavement at some point???wink.png

Let me ponder now my Muay Thai training (from as recently as this week, not sometime last century) has helped my riding... Nope, it hasn't, other than to keep me in decent shape.

A full-face helmet allows a full field-of-vision and full peripheral vision (which you don't know because you've never worn a decent one)- I don't think you understand exactly what peripheral vision is. It can have a slight affect on lateral vision, but not to the point where it's in any way debilitating- my RF-1100 (that's a helmet, if you recall) offers so much lateral vision that it extends past the point where I would turn my head even if I weren't wearing a helmet at all.

Cling to your preconceptions, Allan- they're all you've got, I guess.

If you think the Karate action/reaction reference is spurious, read up on the subject there is plenty of evidence on Google to support my personal findings.

Action/reaction time is very important, as you have told us in the past, when you talk about skillfully avoiding accidents at the high speeds you ride.

Mounting a pavement is not what I consider an accident, drunk or otherwise, nor losing tail light, nor running over broken glass, nor dropping a Wave and scratching the handle bars. An accident is where you come off the bloody thing at speed, you know what I mean?

Peripheral vision is everything you can see outside your direct line of sight and can include that consciously or subconsciously sensed. If you think that covering additional parts of your head with plastic has no effect whatsoever on any of your senses, peripheral or otherwise. I give up.
Stay safe man.

^

Now you're just talking nonsense- please reference one post where I've talked about 'skillfully avoiding accidents at the high speeds I ride'- you won't be able to, as I've never done it- as usual, you make things up as you can't find any real-world support for your points. You don't even know what kind of bike I ride, and now you remember me posting things I've never written? Hopefully you're confusing me with someone else.

An accident is riding along at anything above 30kph and crashing, where injury is a possibility- my Wave crash (I hit a dog in 2001) was at ~40kph- my GSX-R1100 accident (1999 in Tokyo, when I was side-swiped by a truck that didn't see me) was in heavy traffic at maybe 30kph- my Hayabusa get-off in the States (back in 2000- 100% my fault- blew a turn on an unfamiliar road) was at under 100kph- not exactly massive crashes, and all well-within the speeds that can be attained on a scooter. Ask a Thai to show you their scars from crashes, and they almost all will pony up.

I know what peripheral vision is- that's how I know my helmet doesn't affect it.

I will stay safe- I hope and train for the best, and I prepare for the worst.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Do as Thais and buy the cheapest helmets that money can buy and remember its not for protection ,its for avoiding fines .

Buddha will take care of the rest.

ANOTHER karate reference (which I though might actually pop up)? That has zero relevance- you really have to be joking, Allan, as well as again commenting how 'hundreds of thousands of unskilled Thais' have never had an accident, when you'd be hard-pressed to find a single one who rides regularly that hasn't met the pavement at some point???wink.png

Let me ponder now my Muay Thai training (from as recently as this week, not sometime last century) has helped my riding... Nope, it hasn't, other than to keep me in decent shape.

A full-face helmet allows a full field-of-vision and full peripheral vision (which you don't know because you've never worn a decent one)- I don't think you understand exactly what peripheral vision is. It can have a slight affect on lateral vision, but not to the point where it's in any way debilitating- my RF-1100 (that's a helmet, if you recall) offers so much lateral vision that it extends past the point where I would turn my head even if I weren't wearing a helmet at all.

Cling to your preconceptions, Allan- they're all you've got, I guess.

If you think the Karate action/reaction reference is spurious, read up on the subject there is plenty of evidence on Google to support my personal findings.

Action/reaction time is very important, as you have told us in the past, when you talk about skillfully avoiding accidents at the high speeds you ride.

Mounting a pavement is not what I consider an accident, drunk or otherwise, nor losing tail light, nor running over broken glass, nor dropping a Wave and scratching the handle bars. An accident is where you come off the bloody thing at speed, you know what I mean?

Peripheral vision is everything you can see outside your direct line of sight and can include that consciously or subconsciously sensed. If you think that covering additional parts of your head with plastic has no effect whatsoever on any of your senses, peripheral or otherwise. I give up.
Stay safe man.

Try telling that to Eddie Kidd among others. It`s possible to suffer life changing injuries or die doing only 10mph if you land awkwardly or aren`t wearing safety gear.

I'm curious so a few questions for those riders using open-face helmets.

Which bikes do you ride?

Do you have issues with insects hitting your face or even stones being kicked up from vehicles in front?

My visor often looks like an insect smorgasbord at the end of rides outside BKK.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

• Like 1

Riding a motorbike at 140kmh with openface helmet is stupid. Riding a scooter up to 80kmh with openface helmet is OK imo. Personally i rarely use my openface, but the visor protects me very well. No insects in my face...

spd_20120924204427_b.JPG

Which bikes do you ride?

Do you have issues with insects hitting your face or even stones being kicked up from vehicles in front?

My visor often looks like an insect smorgasbord at the end of rides outside BKK.

Ride HD Dyna. Use a HJC open face - sometimes called a 3/4 helmet - with integral sun shade and a lexan faceshield.

Can not get used to a full face helmet - feels claustrophobic to me. Will try a modular helmet one of these days.

Faceshield lasts about 2 years, even with 3M scratch remover and polish after every ride.

On the road since 1968.

even though i dont believe a quote: ' 50 dollar helmet for 50 dollar head' , i have an expensive head so i buy expensive helmets. Last Shoei i bought was 24.000 thb and still wearing it after 6 years. Besides, it is still shiny and after a cleaning, people think like i bought it new! (not the inside pads thoughbiggrin.png)

Just to respect my head, my only capital and the main internal part of me that makes me ride, work and do a lot of things. Also, with a better helmet, you ride in confidence which you cannot even buy confidence with money even if you want!

But, if you come to Thailand for 3 months and riding on a wave or a small scoot, you can ride with cheap full face or half face helmet still by knowing the risks. I dont expect someone coming here for three months buying a Shoei for 24 k thb of course.

Edited by ll2

Which bikes do you ride?

Ride HD Dyna. Use a HJC open face - sometimes called a 3/4 helmet - with integral sun shade and a lexan faceshield.

Can not get used to a full face helmet - feels claustrophobic to me. Will try a modular helmet one of these days.

Faceshield lasts about 2 years, even with 3M scratch remover and polish after every ride.

On the road since 1968.

29 different bikes last 50 years...700,000 ks total..

Never worn anything other than open face

Bugs and rocks..sure..no big deal..in your mouth?..spit them out..

This one was my favourite.[10 years ago now].97,000ks in 6 years...1 year alone 43,000ks..post-169941-0-58477500-1395675826_thumb.

Which bikes do you ride?

On the road since 1968.

This one was my favourite.[10 years ago now].97,000ks in 6 years...1 year alone 43,000ks..attachicon.gifS5004098.JPG

just because youve been lucky for the last 50 years wearing substandard helmets doesnt mean you should advise others to

follow your lead ......and especially not in thailand where youre as likley to be hit from behind as as in front or go down because

of poor road conditions

soldiers used to wear metal lids in ww1 and ww2 but now they have modern helmets ,your advice is probab ly past its use by date

that actually looks like an old cb400 i used to have 1993 model ,one of my favourite bikes too btw

• Like 1

Which bikes do you ride?

On the road since 1968.

This one was my favourite.[10 years ago now].97,000ks in 6 years...1 year alone 43,000ks..attachicon.gifS5004098.JPG

just because youve been lucky for the last 50 years wearing substandard helmets doesnt mean you should advise others to

follow your lead ......and especially not in thailand where youre as likley to be hit from behind as as in front or go down because

of poor road conditions

soldiers used to wear metal lids in ww1 and ww2 but now they have modern helmets ,your advice is probab ly past its use by date

that actually looks like an old cb400 i used to have 1993 model ,one of my favourite bikes too btw

I have been lucky..no doubt about that..but please refrain from misquoting me

I have never ever advised others to wear to do as i have done..i have only said its my choice to do so!

Your quip about cb 400 is pathetic..but there you go...rolleyes.gif

EDIT..what your probably deliberating overlooking is the fact that in all those years/klms i have never had to test whether my''helmet is ''substandard or not... not once.. ..maybe a bit of competency is needed to do this ..Yes?

When you have done a small % of what i have done you may get my attention.

Enjoy your riding...

Edited by andreandre

Which bikes do you ride?

When riding my big bikes, always the Shoei Multitec modular full face. These bikes are capable of high speeds and an open face is too exposed.

For around town on my PCX (and sometimes KLX), I wear a Givi open face. I was in fact just complaining last night to my gf that I'm constantly being overtaken by practically all the other riders out there. I'm never first off at the lights, I split lanes at a much slower speed compared to others (in Bangkok, lots of bikes appear from in front of cars).

There is no doubt in my mind that a full face is safer than an open face. Each time I wear my open face, it's an exercise in risk management and cost benefit analysis. I keep my speeds lower than I would, I focus even more than normal (if that's possible) on situational awareness and potential hazards, I keep a safer distance from the vehicles in front of me etc etc.

p/s: I should add that I don't wear a helmet when walking or taking the BTS / MRT. Also not in bed - last time I fell the bed (sleeping) was when I was still wearing nappies. Since then, activities that might cause me to fall of is not conducive to wearing a helmet :)

• 2 weeks later...