well pump, what to use and where to buy?

stevehaigh

my well pump just sh!t the bed and i need a new one urgent. it was a submersible and i'm getting tired of submersible pumps. they only seem to last a couple of years, even the expensive ones.

the well is 11m deep and its another 2m or so to the top of the holding tank so i'm looking for a lift of about 15m

i bought a jet pump from homepro and spent the whole day messing with it but could not get it to work. i guess it sucks but not quite enough. anyhow, miraculously, i just got a cash refund from home pro for it. i know, never heard of before in Thailand.

so i guess my question is, what would you all recommend for a 11m well and where should i look to buy one?

thx

i have to agree about submersible pumps - last a couple of years then need major service or replacement. Gave up with them after the 4th replacement.

I buy Hitachi suction/lift pumps, 11m lift plus the height you need to reach will need a careful look at the pump specifications on the plate with specifications. My guess would be a 350GX model.

HomePro and House & Home have a good range.

The shop opposite Toyota and/ or Daorung school at the Chao Fah Rd. intersection (Phuket Pipes and Pumps should be the name of it); you can not really miss it, they display several water tanks in front of it. The owners are very knowledgeable and should be able to help you.

i have to agree about submersible pumps - last a couple of years then need major service or replacement. Gave up with them after the 4th replacement.

I buy Hitachi suction/lift pumps, 11m lift plus the height you need to reach will need a careful look at the pump specifications on the plate with specifications. My guess would be a 350GX model.

Totally 100% agree, i just bought the 150GX model, a nice piece of kit, cost 4700B, but they did have them at homepro for 4600B, i could have saved 100B, but i'd fitted it, Do as LIK says and get the model that gives 11m lift.

Totally 100% agree, i just bought the 150GX model, a nice piece of kit, cost 4700B, but they did have them at homepro for 4600B, i could have saved 100B, but i'd fitted it, Do as LIK says and get the model that gives 11m lift.

those hitachi units are spec'ed to 8m suction head max. are you sure they are working at 11m deep? i'll go check homepro again.

i know the place opposite dao rung, i'll ask there too

thx

I think the problem is the 11 meter well. If the pum is near the bottom it will be eating too much silt/sand. My weel is 38 meters deep andI am not sure of the power because I didn't install it but it will blow PVC apart if precautions are not taken. I have.

The pump cannot be on the bottom of the well.

Global House has, I think, the best selection but I would not be able to give a recommendation of capacity. Possibly (a slim chance), you may get a manager that is informed enough.

Edited by Gonsalviz

If I remember my training school days you can have the biggest pump in the world

but it will only lift water to 33.9 feet at sea level at a perfect vacuum.

Practically a pump will only lift ABOUT 25 ft due to fictional loss in the pipe and the condition of, and the efficiency of the pump….

so if the level of the water is more than 25ft below the eye of the pump it will not lift the water.... here endeth the lesson

If I remember my training school days you can have the biggest pump in the world

Practically a pump will only lift ABOUT 25 ft due to fictional loss in the pipe and the condition of, and the efficiency of the pump….

so if the level of the water is more than 25ft below the eye of the pump it will not lift the water.... here endeth the lesson

Wrong. This about a pump in the well pushing it out. Not a pump out of the well sucking it out.

The key is maintaining the well.

I have mine cleaned once a year to remove sand,stones and silt.

Flush out the crud and check out the pump.

Still have my original pump from 2006 and it's never missed a beat running daily on a timer.

i've just had an idea. get a cheap 1HP centrifugal pump which typically have a suction head of about 6m and a discharge head of 12m. in the dry season, mount it half way down the well (hang it on steel cables i guess). then when the rain really kicks in and the water level starts to rise, move it up to the top of the well. its a bit of a pain but its only 2 times a year i have to mess with it.

Wrong. This about a pump in the well pushing it out. Not a pump out of the well sucking it out.

Read the op again he says

1, "the well is 11m deep and it’s another 2m or so to the top of the holding tank so i'm looking for a LIFT of about 15m".

2, He also says "getting tired of submersible pumps"

3, i bought a jet pump from homepro and spent the whole day messing with it but could not get it to work. i guess it SUCKS but not quite enough

So if as you say he’s not "sucking it out" why does he mention lift and not sucking enough.

A lot of people think that if you have a big enough pump you can defy the laws of physics it just won’t happen

All I was trying to do was make the op aware of the fact.

So I think you are wrong for not reading the op properly

Have a nice day

1, "the well is 11m deep and it’s another 2m or so to the top of the holding tank so i'm looking for a LIFT of about 15m".

3, i bought a jet pump from homepro and spent the whole day messing with it but could not get it to work. i guess it SUCKS but not quite enough

So if as you say he’s not "sucking it out" why does he mention lift and not sucking enough.

A lot of people think that if you have a big enough pump you can defy the laws of physics it just won’t happen

Have a nice day

I stand corrected but I was going from my post that was explaining the problem he was having with submersible pumps.

Have a nice day

I stand corrected but I was going from my post that was explaining the problem he was having with submersible pumps.

And i quite agree with you Gonsalvis...other posts also say that information about pumps lifting 11 meters, this is very

miss leading information and i was making others aware of the fact before they go out and spend money on a pump

that is not going to lift over about 8 meters....

Stevehaigh....your idea about having an intermediate pump down the well is quite fessable but be careful..water and electricity

do not mix...,i think thats the only way to go if you do not want to use a submersible pump, but as others have advised here,

that if you install a submersible correctly you should have little problems. Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

I have to replace the submersible pump about every 3 years (15 room hotel + restaurant, laundry done in house, so heavy usage). A small extra pump above ground serves as the necessary back-up in case the main pump has to be replaced. I also use an extra pump in between the water tanks and the main water pipe, which switches on whenever water is used, so that there is enough water pressure.

As Hans Gruber stated, the well has to be cleaned sometimes.

Edited by keestha

i decided simple is best so i bought another submersible. but this one is a really nice looking Italian thing, all plastic body and impeller so no rust. its rated for 18m head and has a 15m power cord so its easily enough for my application. its was 10500 baht at Keehin which is about 4000 more than the cast iron Chinese things but i hope i'll get many years out of this one.

by the way, the hitachi self contained pressure pumps that are made for deep wells (12 - 25m) are the DT-P300GX(SJ) series. they have one in home and garden for 8900 baht but i didn't want to risk it since i already tried to install a jet type (2 pipe) pump and couldn't get it to work.

http://www.hitachi-th.com/hitachi_new/products/productdetail.php?ModelID=9091&store=wpspec_e&ProductID=11&storename=ProductNameEn〈=

Edited by stevehaigh

Hitarchi and a few other companys make above ground deep well pumps. pj-p300gx single jet works down to 18 m and double goes down to 30 m . try google hitchi pumps for more details. I have had one running for 8 years @ 22 meters no trouble , no service , just works 24/7/365/8

i decided simple is best so i bought another submersible. but this one is a really nice looking Italian thing, all plastic body and impeller so no rust. its rated for 18m head and has a 15m power cord so its easily enough for my application. its was 10500 baht at Keehin which is about 4000 more than the cast iron Chinese things but i hope i'll get many years out of this one.

by the way, the hitachi self contained pressure pumps that are made for deep wells (12 - 25m) are the DT-P300GX(SJ) series. they have one in home and garden for 8900 baht but i didn't want to risk it since i already tried to install a jet type (2 pipe) pump and couldn't get it to work.

http://www.hitachi-th.com/hitachi_new/products/productdetail.php?ModelID=9091&store=wpspec_e&ProductID=11&storename=ProductNameEn〈=

I had many types and also try the black Italien thing you mention. Works good for near 2 years but problem you cannot fix or service it. Now i'm back to the more simple cast iron Chinese "orange" ones who can have service all over Phuket.

Just some words ; I've used submersible pumps for more than 35 years , .extremely pleased with their performance ,providing the proper accessory elect. switches and Pressure Bladder tanks are installed !

In Thailand 8 years ago I installed a Grundos (small bore 2.5 in.) Submersible pump ,. It pumps up 38 m plus another 100m. around the property! All I can say I happy

Grundos is a product of Norway Not Chinese

Nuff said.

Just some words ; I've used submersible pumps for more than 35 years , .extremely pleased with their performance ,providing the proper accessory elect. switches and Pressure Bladder tanks are installed !

In Thailand 8 years ago I installed a Grundos (small bore 2.5 in.) Submersible pump ,. It pumps up 38 m plus another 100m. around the property! All I can say I happy

Nuff said.

Not quite nuff said:

It's actually Grundfos, not Grundos and it's a product of Denmark, not Norway.

Nuff said.

Not quite nuff said:

It's actually Grundfos, not Grundos and it's a product of Denmark, not Norway.

i wend to the Grundfos dealer but the deepest submersible they had in there was only rated to 12m and the electric cable on it was only 5m long. (i'm not talking about the real deep well pumps, i expect they go a lot deeper but not suitable for my application)

• 2 weeks later...

i just got back from Issan and noticed that up there, everyone uses piston pumps of their water bore holes. i don't have a photo but basically is a small cube shape pump body, about 5" on each side. its typically connected to 1" PVC pipe down the well via a flexible vacuum hose.

the pump is driven by a separate 1HP or 3/4HP motor via a belt drive.

it can suck water up at least 20m or more

the whole setup is about 4000 baht and lasts for decades!

next time my pump dies, i'm getting one of those. strange i didn't see any in phuket but i have seen them before in surat

i just got back from Issan and noticed that up there, everyone uses piston pumps of their water bore holes. i don't have a photo but basically is a small cube shape pump body, about 5" on each side. its typically connected to 1" PVC pipe down the well via a flexible vacuum hose.

the pump is driven by a separate 1HP or 3/4HP motor via a belt drive.

it can suck water up at least 20m or more

the whole setup is about 4000 baht and lasts for decades!

next time my pump dies, i'm getting one of those. strange i didn't see any in phuket but i have seen them before in surat

Ah yes, know what you are talking about. You will find this sort of pumping system if you look about the more rural location in Phuket. Because Phuket is more 'technically advanced' blink.png the self priming automatic pump is more usual in Phuket.

• 1 year later...

When yo say your submersible pumps go out on you, is it the pump or the motor. They are two completely different things and can be separated from one another.