Jeremy Clarkson accused of 'racism' during Top Gear series finale in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeremy Who??? Never heard of the guy. So the bridge was sloping what is all the fuss?

Your're lucky Chooka - and you ain't missed much!

He's the sort of silly schoolboy humor whinging POM stereotype that even lot's of POM's loath.

He's like vegemite and marmite - either loved or loathed. An acquired taste to out it politely.

back in the seventies Clarksoin revolutionised motor journalism in UK. His legacy is that it is still some of the best in the world. However success ca go to yor head and it can be at the cost of keeping in touch with reality. Clarkson developed a persona over the years that has made him a lot of money, but he gets too cocky and displays his ignorance more and more often these days. If this comes back to haunt him and gets the black-lash he so richly deserves than so be it.

he comes from a generation where PC bullsshit didnt exist so you can hardly blame him for making the odd reference to words

that were used decades ago BEFORE they became offensive and the jam jars still had gollywogs on them for most of his life biggrin.png

hes no spring chicken and to be fair ,there were 2 slopes on that bridge and he could have been talking about either of them .....

Ahh, miss the days of gollywogs do you? Who can blame you? It was a simpler time. Tell you what, build a time machine and go back there, and take your unreconstructed antiquated crap with you. You'll be happier, we'll be happier... you can surround yourself with images of racial stereotypes, and forget these troubling confusing modern times, when words magically change their connotations leaving you sad and confused, when it's generally assumed that all people should be treated with a modicum of respect and be granted basic human rights, not just white men.

i'm planning to drive in Burma in the is next year or so. So I watched the show to get some idea o=f what it might be like. I certainly didn't realise that the VERY FIRST UK people to be allowed to drive through Burma were going to take such a flippant attitude to the country and i wonder what damage they've done for future visitors.

I expect a lot of government officials will get to watch this show to see how their respective countries are portrayed by the BBC - this isn't going to help future visitors to the country one bit.

Don't see what Burma has to do with it, which by the way is in itself an insult as it is no longer called Burma

also there is no such "bridge over the River Kwai in Thailand" there is a Khwae Noi or Khwae Sai Yok and surely getting

the name correct would be of more importance.

And seeing as this whole issue brings up the subject of Japans visit to Thailand in WW2 i can't see there being too much said.

apart from that Thais are naturally beautiful people so any insult to the way they look is just foolish.

I have several good friends from Myamar - doctors, nurses, accountants, business and public officials. A good mix and age range from mid 20's to mid 50's. They all refer to themselves as Burmese and use the name Burma more that they do Myamar. Not found one that is insulted by the name Burma.

Over 20 yrs ago some Thai friends took me to see the war graves, museum and what's left of the actual bridge constructed by the enslaved prisoners and forced laborers. A small fragment by then. But they called it the bridge over the Kwai too and asked me if I seen the film and new the story.

Clarkson is a buffoon who's mouth often operates before brain is engaged. He has his view on humor which has got him into trouble before.There is a difference between making a remark trying to make humor out of a racist derogatory term used as a pun and calling a country or historic landmark by terms which are still used and widely accepted,

You've got to love the irony..JC in a racial row in one of the most racist countries in the world.

Pretty sure that none of the complaints are coming from Thailand, the UK has to have the most PC people on earth. Most of them probably unaware that we are referred to (quite openly) as FARANG.

Keep it up Jezza.

Jezza for PM I say

What did you really expect from those conceited dimwits on Top Gear? They are supposed to be entertainers and they think of themselves clever, but really they are just bums.

It's got humour, but not really funny, Just old school kids playing toy games. Mostly fast cars racing round to see who has the fastest, or promotion for expensive models.

Upper class prigs show, Looking for brownie points and ratings. Never appealed to me, although I did watch it hoping someday they would show more down to earth car models, rather than GT types. The show is named Top Gear aimed at the upper class audience.----BBC ought to promote Bottom Gear and give the not so well off people some tips on how to save on maintenance --insurance--economy --buying second hand etc.

i'm planning to drive in Burma in the is next year or so. So I watched the show to get some idea o=f what it might be like. I certainly didn't realise that the VERY FIRST UK people to be allowed to drive through Burma were going to take such a flippant attitude to the country and i wonder what damage they've done for future visitors.

I expect a lot of government officials will get to watch this show to see how their respective countries are portrayed by the BBC - this isn't going to help future visitors to the country one bit.

Don't see what Burma has to do with it, which by the way is in itself an insult as it is no longer called Burma

also there is no such "bridge over the River Kwai in Thailand" there is a Khwae Noi or Khwae Sai Yok and surely getting

the name correct would be of more importance.

And seeing as this whole issue brings up the subject of Japans visit to Thailand in WW2 i can't see there being too much said.

apart from that Thais are naturally beautiful people so any insult to the way they look is just foolish.

I have several good friends from Myamar - doctors, nurses, accountants, business and public officials. A good mix and age range from mid 20's to mid 50's. They all refer to themselves as Burmese and use the name Burma more that they do Myamar. Not found one that is insulted by the name Burma.

Over 20 yrs ago some Thai friends took me to see the war graves, museum and what's left of the actual bridge constructed by the enslaved prisoners and forced laborers. A small fragment by then. But they called it the bridge over the Kwai too and asked me if I seen the film and new the story.

Clarkson is a buffoon who's mouth often operates before brain is engaged. He has his view on humor which has got him into trouble before.There is a difference between making a remark trying to make humor out of a racist derogatory term used as a pun and calling a country or historic landmark by terms which are still used and widely accepted,

The name was changed to Myanmar by the military junta who seized the country. Hence Burma is seen as the correct name by most Burmese, as I understand it. I've only ever met Burmese who refer to the country as Burma.

seriously? are we talking about somebody being racist against thai?

I wonder if those who accuse him have ever been to this country. Thais use any occasion possible to insult foreigners with prejudices and make fun of them, right into their face as well as when they are not present. Even at one of the big thai schools AUA this goes on a daily base.

Looks like Jeremy is able to adopt to the countries culture very quick. While I'm not a fan or Jeremy, I have to admit this is a fun word play and absolutely fine to use here.

Did anyone just happen to look at the walkway from the main span. it does have a slight uphill slope to the walkway. So he was correct in his statement, and it was not racism.

Unless those who think so want it to be, and that would make them a racist. Might be a good idea to get over it drop this bullshit.

Ahh, miss the days of gollywogs do you? Who can blame you? It was a simpler time. Tell you what, build a time machine and go back there, and take your unreconstructed antiquated crap with you. You'll be happier, we'll be happier... you can surround yourself with images of racial stereotypes, and forget these troubling confusing modern times, when words magically change their connotations leaving you sad and confused, when it's generally assumed that all people should be treated with a modicum of respect and be granted basic human rights, not just white men.

who exactly does a golliwog offend by being a company mascot that sells strawberry jam ?

whos rights do you imagine infringing on ?

some golliwogs might be offended ?

what about the children in need teddy bear with just one eye ?

my friend lost an eye in an accident as do hundreds of thousands of peoplpe every year ,should they be offended and make children in need change their mascot ?

or wil you just admit this PC crap has gone too far??

When I was a kid my mother often used the words 'nigger brown' to describe a particular colour. I was born in London in the early thirties when racism wasn't even thought of. I doubt whether all the words now classed as racist were even thought of then.

Ah... another Clarkson quip about something totally unrelated to cars. What a surprise! Another Clarkson 'I am better than anyone' and 'Aren't I so smart and clever' type statement.

Listen we all know that he was just doing what he does best ... trying to be the big cheese of the threesome. Oh the production company will publish an "I am sorry" from Clarkson for his "poor choice of words" and "there was no intention" statements will be made... but we all know better. He likes them. He has made his money that way. He has written books expounding upon that theme been that 'culprit' on the show.

We all know Clarkson is a "tall ape like creature" (Hammond once said) that seems to have a need to try and be cleaver. He even manages to be a good reporter (for that is what he is) from time to time. But then he seems to always be able to put his foot in it and mess up a good thing with his English 'boarding school boy' humor. To some it might be well worth tuning in. but frankly, I for one have had enough and do not seek out either the show or the man himself while surfing the net. I have had enough.

Clarkson's constant negative comments on any car not made in the EU is well known. The episode when they drove through the southern states in America with stupid, demeaning, uncalled for, childish, and even dangerous statements painted on their choice of vehicles is a prime example (though not the only instants). Their trips across wherever are always filled with quips from him about how those countries were or would be better off if they were in the "Empire". They simply indicate the show's and/or Clarkson's disdain for anyone other than themselves and their ratings. If you want more examples... just read any of his books.

However, the worst thing is the fact that they actually thought that building a bridge across the River Kwai was a good idea! Given the fact that thousands died doing just that during the Second World War was simply... reprehensible! How dare they! This is a moment in history that should not be made into a segment where the producer is hoping for a laugh from Clarkson. Maybe a better idea would have been for them to take the show to Jordon to the refugee camp there (or any of the others filled with people fleeing Syria) and done something worthwhile!!!

Clarkson... come on... grow up! You are not 20 or 30 something anymore and do not represent the vast majority of your viewers. You should consider yourself lucky you still have a job, for when you stared on the show, you were terrible (I am old enough to remember). To the production company.. you too should grow up and see that you have far greater responsibility to the viewers.

So all concerned should be held accountable for their actions and the production company should remember that he is not the only one out there who can do the job... and in a far better way.

Jeremy Who??? Never heard of the guy. So the bridge was sloping what is all the fuss?

Your're lucky Chooka - and you ain't missed much!

He's the sort of silly schoolboy humor whinging POM stereotype that even lot's of POM's loath.

He's like vegemite and marmite - either loved or loathed. An acquired taste to out it politely.

back in the seventies Clarksoin revolutionised motor journalism in UK. His legacy is that it is still some of the best in the world. However success ca go to yor head and it can be at the cost of keeping in touch with reality. Clarkson developed a persona over the years that has made him a lot of money, but he gets too cocky and displays his ignorance more and more often these days. If this comes back to haunt him and gets the black-lash he so richly deserves than so be it.

he comes from a generation where PC bullsshit didnt exist so you can hardly blame him for making the odd reference to words

that were used decades ago BEFORE they became offensive and the jam jars still had gollywogs on them for most of his life biggrin.png

hes no spring chicken and to be fair ,there were 2 slopes on that bridge and he could have been talking about either of them .....

He comes from a generation that saw some of the worst racism and sexism in the UK - hence the need for large amounts of legislation to curb it. The back lash to that was indeed to lurch to extreme PC. Hopefully, the balance in the UK is now much better.

Clarkson is supposed to be a journalist and broadcaster and should be well aware of all this history, having lived through it, as I did.

I am certainly not PC nor do I go around making cheap jokes based on racial or other stereotypes.

Look at Benny Hill, Python, Not the 9 o'clock news, Only fool's and Horses etc etc. Still very funny. Clarkson is a different type of humor to these - more making fun of people at someone's expense, making them look silly while he's superior. He's been around for a long time and made a lot of money out of his "one trick pony" show. Fine for those that like him, cringe inducing for the rest.

Edited by Baerboxer

Did anyone just happen to look at the walkway from the main span. it does have a slight uphill slope to the walkway. So he was correct in his statement, and it was not racism.

Unless those who think so want it to be, and that would make them a racist. Might be a good idea to get over it drop this bullshit.

Look up 'double meaning'. Then watch anything Clarkson has ever broadcast. Then sit in a corner quietly for a while and leave the adults to talk.

I like the oneclarkson did on driving in through the back waters of some strange country . they wrote things like i am gay and i love men on their cars. at one petrol station the local inhabitants took offense to having what they thought were homosexuals in the area, so they threw stones and shot at them.

hilarious.

obviously in addition to finding the backwardness of the people shocking , it was also amusing, i beleive the sacha baren cohen did a similar piece on the ignorants from that country under the name borat or something similar

. none the less, was not sure wether to root for clarkson getting shot or getting away.

It's American slang we British don't use this derogatory remark to refer to Asians unless we have spent too much time with Yanks. He was talking about the slope of the bridge.

That's my take too. I'm the same age as Clarkson and had never heard the term before either.

who exactly does a golliwog offend by being a company mascot that sells strawberry jam ?

whos rights do you imagine infringing on ?

some golliwogs might be offended ?

what about the children in need teddy bear with just one eye ?

my friend lost an eye in an accident as do hundreds of thousands of peoplpe every year ,should they be offended and make children in need change their mascot ?

or wil you just admit this PC crap has gone too far??

Brilliant! Will you admit this PC crap has gone too far? As if you've just boxed me into a corner with your watertight logic.

If you must have it spelled out for you like a child:

Gollywogs are racist stereotypes which exaggerate elements of the body characteristic to people of African descent. Much like the images of huge-nosed Jewish villains disseminated by the nazi propagandists of the 30s and 40s. They are offensive to anyone with a modicum of moral decency, including those of African descent who are well aware of their meaning, and those of causasian descent who don't spend their days pining for the pre-civil rights movement era.

I watched this earlier at 1st I thought it was James May walking across until he made his slope remark.

The BBC doesn't take kindly to remarks like that, but yet they aired it.

I think it was a bit out of order but with my British humour I did a chuckle only at his gall to come out with that..

There will be more on this I can guarantee, he will get his arse kicked and so will the editor.

He will come out of it a richer man, all publicity is good publicity and Clarkson could go and work for any channel he wished should the producer not like it. Problem is they cant afford to loose him.

Though I agree that it was not intentional, the fact remains that Clarkson has to answer to a higher authority... his audience! If you are in the media you have to think of the bigger picture and realize that your words might not always be taken in the manner in which you meant them to be taken.

Was it racism? No it wasn't. But it was a stupid comment that was made that should have been removed in Editing and/or at least voiced over. However, I have a sneaky feeling that somewhere along the line Clarkson thought it was funny and wanted it kept in. It is typical Clarkson after all.

The derogatory terms 'slope' and 'slope head' were in vogue with the soon to be defeated US forces in Vietnam. It was NOT coined in Australia, but may well have been brought back by Australians serving there (for sure it was where i first heard them), AND they would have been widely understood by the western world at large during the USA's abortive attempt at showing the French forces 'how it should be done'.

Clarkson would be well aware of what he was saying and this usage is 100% in-line with his past feeble attempts at wit.

Still i like the show, even with the boorish Clarkson, the toys and stunts are fun to watch...

edited

Clarkson's constant negative comments on any car not made in the EU is well known. The episode when they drove through the southern states in America with stupid, demeaning, uncalled for, childish, and even dangerous statements painted on their choice of vehicles is a prime example (though not the only instants). Their trips across wherever are always filled with quips from him about how those countries were or would be better off if they were in the "Empire". They simply indicate the show's and/or Clarkson's disdain for anyone other than themselves and their ratings. If you want more examples... just read any of his books.

However, the worst thing is the fact that they actually thought that building a bridge across the River Kwai was a good idea! Given the fact that thousands died doing just that during the Second World War was simply... reprehensible! How dare they! This is a moment in history that should not be made into a segment where the producer is hoping for a laugh from Clarkson. Maybe a better idea would have been for them to take the show to Jordon to the refugee camp there (or any of the others filled with people fleeing Syria) and done something worthwhile!!!

Clarkson... come on... grow up! You are not 20 or 30 something anymore and do not represent the vast majority of your viewers. You should consider yourself lucky you still have a job, for when you stared on the show, you were terrible (I am old enough to remember). To the production company.. you too should grow up and see that you have far greater responsibility to the viewers.

So all concerned should be held accountable for their actions and the production company should remember that he is not the only one out there who can do the job... and in a far better way.

ha ha, that was the one i like. those statements were neither demeaning nor dangerous. they are like someone writing clean me, or putting a sticker on the car like shit happens or child on board.

in poor taste the bridge? perhaps, but that does not stop the hollywoods making up their own version of history which is even more reprehensible, ha ha ha that the us won the 2ns world war lol, next we will find out that the tarantino version is considered closer to the truth.

look the war happened, thailand got over it, they even dress up in nazi uniforms, even the germans have forgotten about it, despite attempts to change that. not even the japanese are that worred with statements about how comfort women are a human right or something for soldiers

What a lot of BS and curried mangoes. Never heard of that experession in my life. 555

Right, but OTHER people have read books and are culturally aware, so... who really cares what you've heard of and haven't heard of?

I see you have just arrived on this forum. Everyone is entitled to comment and have an opinion here and to answer your question I care and I am interested as to what ThaiMouse and others say. Don't have to agree but I am still interested.

A bit off topic but there is a dark(black guy) farang joker on tv most mornings and my wife and her friends always joke about how dark he is and the other day he had his face painted white they were in hysterics .

I must admit its all fun but I read about different celebs blacking out for fancy dress and everyone goes crazy

I would have thought the black man brand mops in stores in Thailand would be more offensive?

Much more annoyed at Manchester uniteds form at the moment with the david moyes football genius antics

Edited by kwak250