Jeremy Clarkson accused of 'racism' during Top Gear series finale in Thailand

webfact

The BBC faces having to hand Jeremy Clarkson two separate pay-offs if he leaves over the Top Gear race row, it has emerged as the presenter continued to openly mock his employers.

The presenter is paid around £1 million a year to present the BBC Two motoring show.

But he also has a second seven-figure contract with BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the corporation which sells Top Gear abroad and generates income from live shows, DVDs and associated merchandise. The deal runs until September 2015.

According to employment lawyers, the corporation could have to pay Clarkson twice over if it was to force him out, at a time when pay-offs for departing BBC staff have been described as a national scandal.

The unusual contract arrangement could explain why the BBC has failed to take any action against the presenter for appearing to use the n-word while reciting the nursery rhyme Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe during a Top Gear out-take.

There is also the matter of Clarkson’s popularity with viewers. Top Gear is watched in 214 countries and makes more revenue for the BBC than any other programme.

The BBC's only action, beyond a "reprimand" from the director of television, Danny Cohen, was to make Clarkson apologise publicly. But that ended in farce as the presenter then claimed he had never said the n-word so had nothing to apologise for.

He used a newspaper column yesterday to openly mock his employers.

“I think most people now realise that I really didn’t say the n-word. But as a result of the lurid headlines I realise I must turn over a new leaf,” he wrote in the Sunday Times.

“I’ve been told by BBC chiefs that I’m drinking at the last chance saloon so from now on I shall arrive at work on a bicycle with a copy of the Guardian under my arm, and at lunchtime instead of moaning about how everything on the menu is vegetarian, I shall cheerily ask for extra lentils in my nuclear-free peace soup.

“Also I must remember when I’m in a lift to not goose Mary Beard." He joked that “to keep my job I must become like the love child of Polly Toynbee and Brian May”.

cont...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/10808089/Jeremy-Clarkson-could-get-two-pay-offs-if-forced-out-of-BBC-over-Top-Gear-gaffe.html

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give em hall Jeremy, funny stuff. His reaction I mean,

I do have a question though. If Clarkson was a just a stand-up comedian working on his act and in the process of coming up with a routine; he tried to work out if he could make eenie meenie miny moe into a joke, would anyone have even blinked. Especially considering the bit was binned as it came out looking offensive.

And what would have occurred if he was of non European heritage.

Edited by canuckamuck

You can't figure out what non-European-heritage could mean? Or is being obtuse the best you can do.

And please explain your point about stand up. Do they no longer tell edgy jokes, which sometimes push the boundaries of cultural sensitivity?

You can't figure out what non-European-heritage could mean? Or is being obtuse the best you can do.

And please explain your point about stand up. Do they no longer tell edgy jokes, which sometimes push the boundaries of cultural sensitivity?

A good comedian is progressive not retrogressive. If a comedian thought he/she could makea living out of racist jokes these days, starvation would quickly follow. Where have you been for the last 30 years?

I think it is very telling about your personal perceptions about race that you think "non-European heritage" is a phrase with any meaning outside of a racist context.

Edited by wilcopops

A good comedian is progressive not retrogressive. If a comedian thought he/she could makea living out of racist jokes these days, starvation would quickly follow. Where have you been for the last 30 years?

I think it is very telling about your personal perceptions about race that you think "non-European heritage" is a phrase with any meaning outside of a racist context.

Firstly: don't put your lame replies inside my quote box. The last thing is need is to have is your words in my mouth.

Secondly: quite a few Black, Asian, Jewish, and Native American comedians rely quite heavily on race for their comedy. It is generally forbidden for white performers, but there are always some that find a way to finesse the lines between shocking, funny, and unacceptable.

Third: Non Europeans would mean someone whose ancestry does not include any Europeans. That is not racist. That classification works just fine in my original statement because anyone who would fit in that category not likely be subject to criticismt for attempting the same type of joke.

"This argument shows some posters think they have the monopoly on what is right and wrong and after countless postings on the same subject still cannot convince anyone but themselves".

What is very clear from this thread is that racists can rarely be convinced of their racism and bigotry

"This argument shows some posters think they have the monopoly on what is right and wrong and after countless postings on the same subject still cannot convince anyone but themselves".

What is very clear from this thread is that racists can rarely be convinced of their racism and bigotry

We've got to bear in mind that people are here, and they are anonymous ! :)

See, people who are having a pop at political correctness here, these people would NEVER have the balls to write this on facebook on Twitter.

Who in their right mind would use such 'racist' words when they are NOT anonymous ? In a way, Thai Visa unfortunately shows that it attracts such people who reckon that such words are harmless fun. These people simply make up a minority of the population.

If you are offended by people who are making these offensive remarks on Thai Visa, okay, have a little smirk on your face, do realise that you can claim that such people are a bunch of s@d <deleted> who can only write these things when they are anonymous. What's it like to have certain views, but you can't stand up and write it when your face is revealed, but you have to turn up anonymous at a forum, and then you can express such stuff ?? :)

As for me, and other people, I've got my views, and I can reveal my views on facebook or twitter. I don't have to hide my opinions by being anonymous !

I don't think the N-word gaffe would have even seen daylight had it not been for the slope comment that actually was broadcast a few weeks earlier.

I knew he'd eventually cop it for letting that one out. Westerners are not allowed much wiggle room these days. Enforced only by westerners of course. The rest of the world doesn't give a crap.

The rest of the world doesn't give a crap. - not true; many people (like many on this thread) are ignorant of how racism works and so it seems to exist in cultures that in reality have experienced or are experiencing racism themselves in their daily life.

Absolutely.

Being called 'farang' or 'bird shit' and being price gouged just because of your race is not very nice. sad.png

Have you ever considered that that is nothing to do with race, but more because you look like s putz?

I don't think the N-word gaffe would have even seen daylight had it not been for the slope comment that actually was broadcast a few weeks earlier.

I knew he'd eventually cop it for letting that one out. Westerners are not allowed much wiggle room these days. Enforced only by westerners of course. The rest of the world doesn't give a crap.

The rest of the world doesn't give a crap. - not true; many people (like many on this thread) are ignorant of how racism works and so it seems to exist in cultures that in reality have experienced or are experiencing racism themselves in their daily life.

Absolutely.

Being called 'farang' or 'bird shit' and being price gouged just because of your race is not very nice. sad.png

Have you ever considered that that is nothing to do with race, but more because you look like s putz?

Are you aware of the epithets Thai apply to other races? Do you even know Thailand at all?

I've no doubt you are an expert on sh*t though. You talk enough of it.

• 3 weeks later...

he will sign a new 20\million contract !!

'Top Gear' host Jeremy Clarkson to sign $20 million deal with BBC despite racism allegations: report The TV host — who has been accused of using the N-word during an outtake and who was slammed for using a term offensive to Asians during an episode of his show — will reportedly sign the deal with the network that will keep him on the air until 2018.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Sunday, May 25, 2014, 1:18 PM

It looks like an N-word scandal won't do Jeremy Clarkson any harm.

The controversial “Top Gear” presenter is set to be awarded a new three-year, $20 million BBC deal.

It will tie him to the BBC and Top Gear until 2018, despite being told earlier this year by bosses he was "drinking at the last chance saloon".

"There is no question of Jeremy's deal not being renewed," a BBC source told the Sunday People.

"It is being worked on right now. The top executives want him signed up as soon as possible."

jeremy-clarkson.jpgClarkson is the host of the popular BBC show, ‘Top Gear.’
Previous Next
  • jeremy-clarkson.jpg
  • jeremy-clarkson-apologizes.jpg
Enlarge
Rod Fountain/BBC Worldwide

“Top Gear” is one of the broadcaster's biggest earners, screened in more than 100 countries, making the BBC more than $500 million a year.

Edited by 3NUMBAS

I'm sure that many people would love the sign that Clarkson displayed on a Maserati Ghibli‎ during a recent programme, saying "I love the Thai coup". Many of my friends really loved this sign - until they realised it was a reflection.

Edited by anteater

'Top Gear' host Jeremy Clarkson to sign $20 million deal with BBC despite racism allegations: report The TV host — who has been accused of using the N-word during an outtake and who was slammed for using a term offensive to Asians during an episode of his show — will reportedly sign the deal with the network that will keep him on the air until 2018.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

The controversial “Top Gear” presenter is set to be awarded a new three-year, $20 million BBC deal.

It will tie him to the BBC and Top Gear until 2018, despite being told earlier this year by bosses he was "drinking at the last chance saloon".

"There is no question of Jeremy's deal not being renewed," a BBC source told the Sunday People.

"It is being worked on right now. The top executives want him signed up as soon as possible."

Previous Next
  • jeremy-clarkson.jpg
Enlarge

“Top Gear” is one of the broadcaster's biggest earners, screened in more than 100 countries, making the BBC more than $500 million a year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/top-gear/10809441/Jeremy-Clarkson-divorce-Mrs-Clarkson-deserves-every-penny.html

Yes, Jeremy will be earning a stack of money despite the n-word row !

But, oh look, a divorce is going to happen. Some people have claimed this a 'karmic car-crash'.

Now then, is Jeremy going to get screwed by this divorce ? Most people know that getting screwed is part and parcel of divorce.

Half of his 30 million quid assets ? What about future earnings ? I suppose almost half is assets would be enough.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Previous Next
  • jeremy-clarkson.jpg
Enlarge

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/top-gear/10809441/Jeremy-Clarkson-divorce-Mrs-Clarkson-deserves-every-penny.html

Yes, Jeremy will be earning a stack of money despite the n-word row !

But, oh look, a divorce is going to happen. Some people have claimed this a 'karmic car-crash'.

Now then, is Jeremy going to get screwed by this divorce ? Most people know that getting screwed is part and parcel of divorce.

Half of his 30 million quid assets ? What about future earnings ? I suppose almost half is assets would be enough.

As punishment he should be forced to read this thread.

Absolutely.

Are you aware of the epithets Thai apply to other races? Do you even know Thailand at all?

The voice of an expert?

Absolutely.

The voice of an expert?

Absolutely.

The voice of an expert?

As I recall the second world war produced the Krauts, Huns, Square heads, Frogs, Le Beofs, Bubble and Squeaks, Jam Rolls and many other unasked for titles, But I don't think anyone got out of their cot and made a fuss about it. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen! Political correctness has produced a generation of sensitive wimps. Is that another racial slur.

You're fed up with the PC brigade who have nothing better to do than fxxxk up peoples' lives ? smile.png

Okay, the big newspapers don't normally use words that are classified as 'wrong'. Why is that ? See, to me, it's not because a small group of hardcore people are constantly trying to influence the newspapers, and the media is scared of these people, the so-called PC brigade.

Basically, the newspapers know which words are offensive, and which are not. They certainly don't want to offend some of their readers, as this might cause those readers to no longer buy the newspaper. That's what we're seeing.

Now, for those who reckon that all this 'political correctness' is stupid and wrong. Well, whatever media outlet can simply use such words, and all those who feel that such words are okay, well, go and support and buy that newspaper.

Winkel-picker-sandels, are part of the second verse, of the second edidtion, of the Eaton boating song .

My name is Cuthbert , I live in Eaton square,with Winkel-Picker -Sandels ,and lots of curly hair. Says it all Nicht war?

Where were you educated old chap? Hakney secondry modern????