Are thai people the most illogical people you have ever met?

advancebooking

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems Nissan, Honda and Toyota dominate the area, and several Ford trucks, although the people getting out of them wear dress clothes, so perhaps it is status

Then I guess I misunderstood your statement.....as those ARE Japanese and USA Cars.....wub.png

Have you been smoking some Thai stick?

That does bring up an interesting point. If a car is manufactured in Thailand is it a Thai car? They buy the steel from the lowest bidder and cast the engine block in Thailand. So is it a Thai engine or an engine from where the steel came from?

I had never seen any of these cars before, so frankly I wouldnt know what they are

I believe Thailand is the world's leading exporter of light trucks. You have never seen any? Wow!

Easy answer - they all do. The possible difference is that Thailand has generally had better economy to afford to do something about it - yet has not. Even when they have decided to spend money on education they come up with silly schemes that help no one, wastes money and makes companies big buck instead. Language skills are a disgrace for a country so reliant on exports and such a rich tourist industry - class sizes are positively Victorian. They don't need cheap knock-off tablets in one year, they need decent books, decent teachers and a conducive environment for learning.

It is not a fair argument to compare them to the UK, Europe or States sure - and it was only you that did - but it is not an excuse to hide behind either - this is not a poor country, it is no worse off than Japan was in the 50's and 60's - or India up until the 90's - or Brazil up until the 00's - and so on. A country that cares nothing for the education of its young deserves scorn - it's not bashing, it is facing the fact and owning up to priorities.

Thailand bought airplanes and many other technologies from Japan in the 1940's, 50's and 60's. You were the one writing about the Chinese, US and Irish above not I.

If you quickly increase Thailand's education among the poorer classes what follows might be similar to what happened in Laos and Cambodia. Pol Pot's regime targeted intellectuals - including anyone with an education, or with foreign contacts - as well as anyone from the middle or upper classes. All of the doctors, the teachers, the Buddhist monks and nuns, and the engineers died.

Before you reshape the culture of a country one should look at what happened when other cultures in the region were radically changed.

It was not sudden education that caused the issues in Cambodia etc, it was the French pulling out and leaving a power vacuum. It is a completely different scenario - there are already an educated ruling class here - and always has been - it is just that the poor are so willing to be fodder to earn those wealthy elite their ransom without some kind of payback now - some chance of lifted themselves up. This is the crux of the problems that have been happening here since the 73 uprising. Why has it not happened here yet? Simply because, IMO at least, other powerful countries have made sure that communism does not take root in Thailand and that has been the rallying call around which much of the revolution in Asia (and South America) was. Times have moved on - communism is a failed experiment and Thailand is far too consumerist to seriously move that way. The only real thing that changes with education (of the masses) is that economies tend to move from agriculture and production to services and design/invention.

I was referring to the countries you listed, " Laos, Burma, Cambodia and Vietnam" - i.e. neighbours with respect to "all of them should do better" and Thailand best of all due to their larger and more mature economy. I was also talking specifically of education of the underclasses (the masses) - there will always be an elite class of educated business owners to provide technology etc over seas - this only makes them wealthier as individuals and their shareholders most of which are not going to be those masses. Japan in the 50s had a largely under-educated masses (they had schools similar to Thailand well before the war - but only the Elite were properly educated) - as their economy rose and lead the tiger nations, so did their spending on education - they now have one of the best education systems and most literate people anywhere (yes they also have a high student suicide rate - but that is more to do with their concept of second place is failure). China too have been spending on educating their masses - and they have a lot of masses! For the amount of GDP spent on education here, it stinks! It needs to change if Thailand is to compete post ASEAN and in the future - agriculture is getting more competitive and will continue to do so - and as GM crops are accepted wider, then more countries will be able to grow their own and only shop for the cheapness.

There really is no excuse for not educating you own young when you can afford to.

I agree at least partly but would point out that I think what you mean is education that you think is adequate.

China also is experiencing a flood of graduates in its labour market, causing many of its graduates to settle for low salaries, some of which are almost on par with wages for labourers. Some experts predict that in the next 10 years, this problem will only become worse, making a solution difficult to find. The solution for China is to decrease growth in its higher education sector from 20% to 6 – 8% by setting more rigorous admission standards.

The latest news also reports that Cambodia has hundreds of thousands of unemployed graduates. The Economic Institute of Cambodia (EIC) reported that in 2007, only 1 graduate in 10 could find a job.

In Thailand, the Education Council estimated that the number of new students enrolled in bachelors programs between 2007 and 2016 will be approximately 500,000 each year, resulting in between 300,000 to 400,000 new graduates per annum.

http://blog.nationmultimedia.com/print.php?id=2435

The only problem is that Thailand’s labour market does not need this number of graduates with bachelors degrees.

And, therein lies the reason, to keep the people repressed and uneducated,

Many of those graduates will find ways of competing with the ruling business elite, and they fear that, more than everything

• Like 2

I agree at least partly but would point out that I think what you mean is education that you think is adequate.

China also is experiencing a flood of graduates in its labour market, causing many of its graduates to settle for low salaries, some of which are almost on par with wages for labourers. Some experts predict that in the next 10 years, this problem will only become worse, making a solution difficult to find. The solution for China is to decrease growth in its higher education sector from 20% to 6 – 8% by setting more rigorous admission standards.

The latest news also reports that Cambodia has hundreds of thousands of unemployed graduates. The Economic Institute of Cambodia (EIC) reported that in 2007, only 1 graduate in 10 could find a job.

In Thailand, the Education Council estimated that the number of new students enrolled in bachelors programs between 2007 and 2016 will be approximately 500,000 each year, resulting in between 300,000 to 400,000 new graduates per annum.

The only problem is that Thailand’s labour market does not need this number of graduates with bachelors degrees.

And, therein lies the reason, to keep the people repressed and uneducated,

Many of those graduates will find ways of competing with the ruling business elite, and they fear that, more than everything

They have 500,000 new students per year in college now. I don't really see that as keeping the people repressed. Do you?

They have 500,000 new students per year in college now. I don't really see that as keeping the people repressed. Do you?

Yes, I do

The education is worthless, in fact, it's a fake education.

Nobody learns anything, yet everyone passes.

As opposed to China and Japan where the education and degrees appear to be real and worthwhile.

Yes, I do

As opposed to China and Japan where the education and degrees appear to be real and worthwhile.

Nonsense. But hardly the issue as China has the same problem.

The solution for China is to decrease growth in its higher education sector from 20% to 6 – 8% by setting more rigorous admission standards.

So Instead of increasing education in China Experts are advising reducing it.

Yes, I do

The solution for China is to decrease growth in its higher education sector from 20% to 6 8% by setting more rigorous admission standards.

U refer to quantity and not quality, of education.

As previous poster means, if the quality of education is improved most likely less people will pass their final exams.

This would mean smarter people. Hence the fear of the people in power.

So 52 was correct.

Yes, I do

The solution for China is to decrease growth in its higher education sector from 20% to 6 8% by setting more rigorous admission standards.

U refer to quantity and not quality, of education.

As previous poster means, if the quality of education is improved most likely less people will pass their final exams.

This would mean smarter people. Hence the fear of the people in power.

So 52 was correct.

All of the Thai college graduates I know are working in technical fields. If they didn't know what they are doing their product would not pass inspection. So in my experience no one pays for degrees. Does it happen? I don't know anyone who paid for one. Do you? Or are you just regurgitating the tired old sing song by Thai wanna be expats tired of winter in the West.

Even if they do buy them it is in Marketing and I think everyone knows that car saleswomen and hostesses in Sizzler all have degrees in Marketing both in Thailand and the States so who cares?

The rocket scientists and brain surgeons all pass tests and have jobs so I'm not worried.

Edited by thailiketoo

Yes, I do

Tosh

They may let through those who shouldn't but plenty do pass on their merits and do learn something.

• Like 1

It is more about the education system than anything else. It was the same in most western countries too when only the wealthy had any real education and everyone else was taught to learn by rote and never ask why. Educated Thais here are just as astute as their equally educated western contemporaries. When trained from birth to follow the rules given, never deviate, never think out of the box and never ask questions, it is not hard to see the problems going forward. Someone has already referred to the "American rednecks" , and it is likewise. Someone also said the same was once said about the Chinese - that was when the only Chinese we heard of were poorer classes working in restaurants or low paid manual labour - now we see the educated bankers etc, we can think differently!

We used to say it of the poor in the west, of the blacks, of the Irish, etc - because the only interaction was with uneducated ones (not though their own volition, but because they were either disallowed education or simply could not afford it). This is why it is not racism, and should be stated - no one here (I believe) actually believes there is a biological reason for it (or for the very low national IQ results), but a failed education system - hiding it does not make for impetus to change. The world laughed at Japanese products in the 50-70s, by the 90s all the best stuff comes from Japan (from suits to TVs, cars to robots).

There's a man talking sense! I agree. We are mostly born equal.

Ah yes, the education. Can't get enough of the education. It's all about the education. Wait a minute, aren't you the guy who got fleeced by the Thai ex-wife? She managed to take you for all your assets? A well-traveled, well educated (according to you) man-of-the-world, taken to the cleaners by a peasant farm girl. So now you're here to get back at the Thais....or at least in your mind. An axe to grind. The classic profile of the Thai-bashing farang. Wise up little man, it's time to move on.

Are you talking about me or Slipperx??? As I am the one that mentioned education, I take it you were referring to me - so I'll answer you, for what it is worth: Nope - never been skinned by a Thai women - been married to one for 17 years, she is the bread winner and I home school our teenage kids - see I put my money where my mouth is! I have taught here and at home - here I have taught mostly at college level - I have seen bright kids trying to get a decent education, when they are rammed into classes of 65 where half the class turns up 45 minutes into the lesson because their previous lesson is in another block and always over runs. I personally have post grad qualifications and teaching qualifications, so I do know a little of what I am talking about.

Yes, I do have a axe to grind - not the kind you allude to, but the kind where a fairly wealthy country wastes masses of money on unworkable policies that benefit very few, ignoring warnings from their own experts (academia), and pretend it will make a difference. When if they listened to their own people, they could instead spend that money on premises, books, a decent curriculum and teachers. If you call that Thai bashing, then sorry, you will do better addressing someone else as you clearly do not understand the difference between concern and attack!

I was talking to slipperx.

the most illogical people i have met in 7½ years reading and posting in Thaivisa whistling.gif

So true. Yet, these idiots feel qualified to criticize the Thais. No wonder Thailand expats have such a crappy reputation.

the most illogical people i have met in 7½ years reading and posting in Thaivisa whistling.gif

So true. Yet, these idiots feel qualified to criticize the Thais. No wonder Thailand expats have such a crappy reputation.

U are included 2 in his comment.

Yes, I do

Tosh

They may let through those who shouldn't but plenty do pass on their merits and do learn something.

Samran, don't worry about 52. His favorite pastime is talking out of his a*s. The rest of the time, he has his head up his a*s.

Not as much as you're included in mine.

I would have given the same response as you when i was 12 years old.

I would have given the same response as you when i was 12 years old.

You don't want to get into a battle of wits with me. You're outmanned.

• Like 1

At 38 my sister-in-law is finally completing school. This is I guess school years before further education, so the syllabus a 15 year old would follow.

Had a look and I couldn't do it and I've got a 2:1 BSc(Hons) and other higher quals.

It looks like the educatiin is there if a. the teachers want to teach it and b. the students want learn it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by MJP

The most illogical I have met in Thailand are old Farangs.

They whine and whinge all the time about Thailand and Thai people, yet they stay by choice, like it's a hardship, like they are doing Thailand a Favour by being here.

I am in the few %% that has been here a long time, and what was said to me when I first came in 1990 here still stands good for today, if you don't like it,don't stay.

• Like 2

At 38 my sister-in-law is finally completing school. This is I guess school years before further education, so the syllabus a 15 year old would follow.

Had a look and I couldn't do it and I've got a 2:1 BSc(Hons) and other higher quals.

It looks like the educatiin is there if a. the teachers want to teach it and b. the students want learn it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My sister was an astronaut.

What girl doesn't want "NEW?"

She owns a scooter now, and a paid for car.

In Thailand, that and some home ownership makes you upper middle class.

Her neighbors have mostly Thai cars although I did see a few mercedes in the community.

I wouldn't go on a scooter here unless it was one of these, and it wasn't on a Bangkok vicinity road:

holed up in the north since Sept. waiting my return

Upper middle class?

Does she have Na in front of her name?

Today we went to a new little restaurant/coffee shop nearby.

Tuna salad looked good in the pics...ordered it.

What came was a large plate full of lettuce only and a quarter a can of tuna.

All for 180b.

Way to logically go to get repeat customers.

Went to Just One Sports bar last week,

ordered a Long Island Iced Tea, said the words, and pointed to it,

I even waited for his head to move to show some sort of acknowledgement that the finger was clearly blocking all other drinks,

What came was a gin and tonic, a drink I had maybe when i was 18 and didnt know better,

I said to him, this is not a long island ice tea,

to which is nodded his head and smiled,

I pointed to it again on the menu,

he again smiled,

after that, I ordered Hogaarten, which comes in its own glass

NO, not at all.

Of course if you like to think in stereotyps you can say it.

But the world is full with morons and the mentioned stories would been happened every-where.

For example: you try to bargain in Europe (every-where) with a bus driver for opening doors in no station. Impossible. Especially in USA when you may sue them about violated door opening later.

But in TH I have seen many times they open for you, even in middle lane too.

About your bicycle story: if you crash the cycle who pays for it to the vendor. Or if you don't crash but just would said: no thanks, the next consumer may say it's not a new bike some-one used before, can see on tires.

About your VD camping you are 100% right but last month in Berlin I have sat in an always empty movie room, came to old ladies and sat next to me.

I didn't understood but they had right to seat there where they wanted.