Are thai people the most illogical people you have ever met?

advancebooking

Oh geesh where do I start:

IN ESPLANADE shopping in the ADIDAS store; I wanted to try on a pair of sneakers (4800b) and had my mind pretty much made up that I was going to buy. I was wearing sandals so I didn't have socks on and requested a new/clean sock before I put my feet into the wall display sneaker that hundreds of others have put their feet in. Nothing special, you know those nylon things they give you at airport security, I just wanted SOMETHING rather than my bare foot. They sell socks and suggested I buy a pack of socks. Shook my head and left.

* I seriously don't get these people not having the logic to make a common-sense, executive decision or just THINK that a sock, a mere 10-20b was a deciding factor of a 4800b SALE

IN ESPLANADE - SUBWAY restaurant has a different sub special everyday (6"sub+drink).for 99b. I devoured the sub and decided to get another 6"sub BUT I didn't need the drink. So my logic was thinking maybe I can save 10-20b off the special instead of paying for ANOTHER drink. Wouldn't do it but she suggested if I just wanted the sub and not the drink that comes with the 99b special that I just pay the regular sub price of 129b. So pay MORE and get less. I got ANOTHER special, made it a point to fill up the other cup.

* HERES THE KICKER - She said she couldn't ring up the items seperatly or whatever YET on the receipt the sub and the drink are broken down.

In an earlier posting someone stated it correctly...some things here in Thailand that are/could be very complicated in our home country can be done in minutes here and then some of the easiest logical no-brain things are IMPOSSIBLE. 6 of one & 1/2 dozen another I guess.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

poor logic: 1. lady man for money 2. driving on the wrong side of the road and regularly failing to stop for stop signs and occasionally driving through red lights. 3. allowing dogs to roam freely sometimes killing or maiming motorcyclists. 4. Allowing dogs to howl all night. 5. cannot touch anyone with your feet 6. paying people to vote in a democracy 7. yards full of garbage 8. parks full of litter.

There are many examples of poor logic. just look out your window.

Not one example of poor logic there.

IN ESPLANADE shopping in the ADIDAS store; I wanted to try on a pair of sneakers (4800b) and had my mind pretty much made up that I was going to buy. I was wearing sandals so I didn't have socks on and requested a new/clean sock before I put my feet into the wall display sneaker that hundreds of others have put their feet in. Nothing special, you know those nylon things they give you at airport security, I just wanted SOMETHING rather than my bare foot. They sell socks and suggested I buy a pack of socks. Shook my head and left.

* I seriously don't get these people not having the logic to make a common-sense, executive decision or just THINK that a sock, a mere 10-20b was a deciding factor of a 4800b SALE

IN ESPLANADE - SUBWAY restaurant has a different sub special everyday (6"sub+drink).for 99b. I devoured the sub and decided to get another 6"sub BUT I didn't need the drink. So my logic was thinking maybe I can save 10-20b off the special instead of paying for ANOTHER drink. Wouldn't do it but she suggested if I just wanted the sub and not the drink that comes with the 99b special that I just pay the regular sub price of 129b. So pay MORE and get less. I got ANOTHER special, made it a point to fill up the other cup.

* HERES THE KICKER - She said she couldn't ring up the items seperatly or whatever YET on the receipt the sub and the drink are broken down.

In an earlier posting someone stated it correctly...some things here in Thailand that are/could be very complicated in our home country can be done in minutes here and then some of the easiest logical no-brain things are IMPOSSIBLE. 6 of one & 1/2 dozen another I guess.

Where else can you do those things? Especially the socks.

I'm both cases you would have been dealing with junior sales people who would have had no authority to do what you wanted then to do and stood a chance of getting heavily reprimanded for doing so. But of course you never saw that. And there is complete logic in them valuing their own jobs over making a potential sale or product test which may get them in trouble.

Well lets see. Is Thailand in Africa? Or Europe? So in comparison to whom? Laos, Burma, Cambodia and Vietnam? I would say those countries should switch their education system to the Thai one because Thailand is doing quite a bit better.

I will admit Thailand is not US or UK or Australia. Thailand is also not anywhere near the US,UK or Australia.

Fair dinkum after all. Apples to apples. Compare Thailand to her neighbors and tell me who has the problem?

Actually Thailand's pretty close to the bottom in the only international objective measure I'm familiar with.

And taking into account the money spent per child, or budget ratio of GDP, the Thai record is absolutely disgraceful.

http://www.unescobkk.org/news/article/pisa-and-learning-divide-among-asian-countries/

http://blogs.worldbank.org/eastasiapacific/what-explains-vietnam-s-stunning-performance-pisa-2012

I'm all for rose-tinted glasses, but maybe you need to clean yours.

You wrote, "The only international objective measure I'm familiar with." You are only familiar with, "Pisa."

Nonsense.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wanna see an utter lack of logic?? Try applying for a marriage visa

Where does one obtain a "marriage visa" ?

Does such a "visa" even exist ?

Would you like to see it? It will cost you a bottle of wine

The visa you get from the MFA (embassies, Ministry of Foreign Affairs) is just to ENTER the country, and the one you get for being married is exactly the same as the one I get for being a SINGLE father of two Thai citizens.

The extension you get that allows you to stay long-term from the Immigration Dept of the Royal Thai Police has nothing to do with visas.

Yeah, a marriage visa

WYM's comment is very close to the truth.

Thailand was never dominated by foreigners, so foerign ideas of logic do not apply.

Same for the native peoples of the world who hve never entered mainstream society; Native Australians, Inuit, some Native Americans, etc.

• Like 1

When I read online today regarding the missing plane from Malaysia:

''Thailand's military says its radar detected a plane that may have been Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 just minutes after the missing jetliner's communications went down, and that it didn't share the information earlier because it wasn't specifically asked for it.''

I had to laugh and once again.... reminded of the fact that thai people are not logical people.

A few other small examples:

- I went to buy a new push bike and the bike I wanted to purchase did not have any peddles attached. I asked him if he could screw them on so that I could take it for a test ride before buying. He said no, only after paying for the bike. I opened my wallet and showed him 10,000 baht cash and walked to the store next door and purchased a bike from a more logical businessman.

- I was on a bus that was stuck in traffic really close to Ekkami bus station. The traffic was in a standstill for at least 5 min and the front door of the bus was right near the BTS escalator. I got out of my seat and indicated to the driver to open the door but he said no. There was no danger as the bus was on the left side close to the gutter. Some other farang joined me and after a few minutes the guy finally opened the door.

- I went camping with my gf and we put the tent up in a good spot. It was in a national park and really quiet- there was only 1 other tent up - a long distance away from us. Then a thai couple arrive and they drove around and then started driving towards our base camp and I though <deleted>. They got out and said hi and were eyeing up a spot really close to our tent. It was VD day (valentines day not venerial disease day) and my gf and I wanted some privacy. I could not believe that they were proposing to put up their tent a mere 5m from ours and the look of contempt that I gave them may have gotten the message through their illogical mind. Thankfully they decided on another spot which was more than 10 to 15 m away.

I have many other examples but would prefer to read yours. Its all a good laugh

cheers

1. States don't say what is on their military radar because they don't want other people knowing their capabilities. Malaysian military took 3-4 days before going public with their radar information. I guess independant fact checking isn't one of your strong traits, but inquisitions certainly are

2. So doesn't the 2nd businessman disprove your point? Or was he not thai? If he was, then quite frankly you're an idiot

3. Neither do buses in the UK. Or the US. In fact in new york it is illegal to cross the road outside the zebra walk lines. Once again, a little education would go a long way.

4. They probably weren't expecting you to be breeding, given the quality of this post.

I don't understand the cluelessness of some of the expats here. They do not give you new socks whenever you try a shoe in london either, and I am willong to bet that its the case everywhere around the world.

It's Togic not Logic! Wherever you go it's in use. Just drive down the highway from BKK to Koh Samui, you'll get to and area where they sell "salty eggs" 10 stands in a row on one side of the road and 10 more on the other, but not another stand anywhere else in the 800 kilometers. I live near a very small town, there are 4 Ma and Pa grocery stores, all on the four corners of the main intersection, two owned by the same family. There are two 7-11s less than 60 meters from each other, operated by the same family. My wife has a small restaurant in the village where we live. She was doing okat and all of a sudden there were three more. They all closed finally, my wife survived only because I subsidize her operation (nice to have peace and quiet at home). There are only 21 houses in the village. I could go on and on, I taught Math in a Thai seconary school and Logic was one of the subjects, it was a joke!

I know this may sound a bit 'racist' or 'ethnicist' .... but ... if Thailand wants to be part of the global economy, and to survive in the global economy, then Thailand needs to think and follow the global economic paradigms.

Traditional Thai economic and business practices, whatever they may be, may work well in Thailand and with Thai people.

Yes, Thailand now enjoys the presence of multinational manufacturers due to the low cost of labour and its skilled labour force. But, as we also now, some of these companies are moving operations to neighbouring countries, as Thailand has lost some of its comparative economic advantage.

If Thailand wants to be a leader in ASEAN and the ASEAN Economic Community, then it needs to think ASEAN and not Thai.

It's Togic not Logic! Wherever you go it's in use. Just drive down the highway from BKK to Koh Samui, you'll get to and area where they sell "salty eggs" 10 stands in a row on one side of the road and 10 more on the other, but not another stand anywhere else in the 800 kilometers. I live near a very small town, there are 4 Ma and Pa grocery stores, all on the four corners of the main intersection, two owned by the same family. There are two 7-11s less than 60 meters from each other, operated by the same family. My wife has a small restaurant in the village where we live. She was doing okat and all of a sudden there were three more. They all closed finally, my wife survived only because I subsidize her operation (nice to have peace and quiet at home). There are only 21 houses in the village. I could go on and on, I taught Math in a Thai seconary school and Logic was one of the subjects, it was a joke!

I know this may sound a bit 'racist' or 'ethnicist' .... but ... if Thailand wants to be part of the global economy, and to survive in the global economy, then Thailand needs to think and follow the global economic paradigms.

Traditional Thai economic and business practices, whatever they may be, may work well in Thailand and with Thai people.

Yes, Thailand now enjoys the presence of multinational manufacturers due to the low cost of labour and its skilled labour force. But, as we also now, some of these companies are moving operations to neighbouring countries, as Thailand has lost some of its comparative economic advantage.

If Thailand wants to be a leader in ASEAN and the ASEAN Economic Community, then it needs to think ASEAN and not Thai.

I guess you've not heard of companies such as Banpu, PTT, Thai Bev, CP group or Siam cement then?

• Like 1

I don't understand the cluelessness of some of the expats here. They do not give you new socks whenever you try a shoe in london either, and I am willong to bet that its the case everywhere around the world.

You would be correct. Ditto the Subway example. I don't think it's so much cluelessness, but the fact that some of our expats in Thailand are simply morons. This YeaBig guy is a prime example.

• Like 1

Definitely yes, and not only illogical but also naive...

But all this together keeps productivity low which results in low prices and this again results that I can live here quite cheap :-)

Low pruductivity usually results in HIGHER prices. Can you explain what you're getting at?

But all this together keeps productivity low which results in low prices and this again results that I can live here quite cheap :-)

Low pruductivity usually results in HIGHER prices. Can you explain what you're getting at?

Can you explain why you can not spell properly?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

To the OP.

If you have some spare time go to one of the roadside places selling second hand cars. I can tell you for sure that 95% of them will have a flat battery and can't start.

The response is usually ' if you buy we will fit new battery'

Thai logic at it's best.

In the above post, and in your example of the bike vendor and the pedals, they aren't being illogical. They're just being lazy.

Laziness trumps logic among many vendors here to the point that, to say that they're in the "service" industry, is a travesty of the worst kind.

Edited by Fookhaht

Can you explain why you can not spell properly?

Can you explain why you're too good to read the forum rules? wink.png

" Misspellings and grammatical errors can make posts difficult to understand. However English is not always the first language of our members so don't waste space correcting other members' grammar and spelling where it isn't necessary."

Or did you put in that spelling error for "cannot" just to be ironic? Because, surely, you're not THAT transparently stupid, are you?

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 2

This morning my wife passed up a job for the day because she couldn't find her way around town (CM)(4hrs, 1000bht plus expenses).

This afternoon I bought her a new m/c and phoned her up from the showroom to collect it, she found the Honda shop without a problem!

This evening she wanted 400bht to go shopping at the Friday market, I said no, and she went on a rant about me never giving her anything.

Oh well.

Edited by FiftyTwo

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In the above post, and in your example of the bike vendor and the pedals, they aren't being illogical. They're just being lazy.

Laziness trumps logic among many vendors here to the point that, to say that they're in the "service" industry, is a travesty of the worst kind.

As in this example of a supremely competent gas fitter !

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2013/rnn-nw-paul-kay.htm

They are to be found walking among us, everywhere and in every country /!

This week I went to the local train station to buy a return ticket to Bangkok. I handed the details in writing to the ticket seller, with clear dates written in numerals.

When I got the ticket, the date was wrong. I handed it back and asked her for a correct ticket. Response? "Sorry, there is a 50-baht fee for 'ticket exchanges.'"

Was this the little lady's own personal daily scam to line her pockets, or was it a lapse in practical logic because she had to "keep the rules?" Either way, I don't wanna know. facepalm.gif

All of your personal examples show nothing of the kind.

- the like shop owner was within his rights not to have wear and tear put in a bike which he has no guarantee of being bought, apart from an idiot flashing cash about implying he would.

- the bus driver was playing it safe. And he gets criticised for it?

- as for the campers, you were in a public place, in which case, they are within their rights to camp there too. But I guess they met you, and hightailed it.....which judging by your post, sounds like a perfectly logical thing to do.

Are you Thai?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Some of them charge a farang more than a Thai for the exact same merchandise or service. To us, that is illogical and unfair but to the Thais, it makes perfect sense...because we (usually) can afford it. We say that fairness, by our logic, dictates the same price for everyone but those Thais that practice such discriminatory pricing believe that we can absorb the cost easily, mai bpen rai. We, on the other hand, even if it is absolutely true we can afford it, fall back on our sense of principle and to us it is only logical to do so. And by the way, I observed the same thing in China.

So imagine in a queue to purchase an item we have a scruffy low-paid English teacher for ECC and just behind him an obviously wealthy Thai-Chinese businessman. What happens then? Your (Thai) logic would dictate that the businessman is charged more because as you wrote, 'He can afford it and absorb the cost easily'. But no, the teacher will be charged more. Yep! Totally logical!

That kind of thinking is based on ridiculous and outdated assumptions and a sure sign of ignorance.

Let's be honest. Discriminatory pricing is just that, discriminatory. And in this case racist. The westerner is being charged more just because of the color of his skin. Nothing else.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

In your scenario there may well be more to the game than what is suggested. Why are coffee shops more expensive at train stations in the west - why are fastfood places also more expensive and often with worse food (any Londoner remember Cassey jones at Charring Cross - worst and most expensive burgers going - always packed). The answer is passing trade. The shop keeper sees the Thai business man and knows three things: 1. he will be aware of the fairness of the price he is give, 2. he will know of other places to go instead if the price is insulting and 3. he is likely to return with good service and a good price. He sees the scruffy foreigner (and knows nothing about his job - he see "back packer" - scruffy + foreign = backpacker): 1. passing trade, will never be back, 2. has no idea what a fair price is, 3. is probably more concerned with getting the item than worrying about the cost. Rightly or wrongly, the decision is made for business sake.

I am less concerned with shops and stall holders using heuristics to decide on a price than I am with non-state enterprises charging many times the price for foreigners to enter. The state has the right to make things cheaper for local people whose taxes pay for it (i.e. National Parks) - a company only has this right through frequent use reductions (such as membership cards and annual passes etc - which should be open to all races too!).

And if we replace the scruffy foreigner by a scruffy thai, what would be the thinking of the shopowner ?

Possibly pretty much the same - repeat business, knows the prices, knows where to go otherwise. However, I have often seen scruffy Thais being thrown out of shops and told to pee off from outside shop fronts and stalls as they are known drunks, borrowers or just not good for business - that's not racism, its simple business acumen - and would happen in any and every country if there were not enforced consumer laws to protect against it.

It is more about the education system than anything else. It was the same in most western countries too when only the wealthy had any real education and everyone else was taught to learn by rote and never ask why. Educated Thais here are just as astute as their equally educated western contemporaries. When trained from birth to follow the rules given, never deviate, never think out of the box and never ask questions, it is not hard to see the problems going forward. Someone has already referred to the "American rednecks" , and it is likewise. Someone also said the same was once said about the Chinese - that was when the only Chinese we heard of were poorer classes working in restaurants or low paid manual labour - now we see the educated bankers etc, we can think differently!

We used to say it of the poor in the west, of the blacks, of the Irish, etc - because the only interaction was with uneducated ones (not though their own volition, but because they were either disallowed education or simply could not afford it). This is why it is not racism, and should be stated - no one here (I believe) actually believes there is a biological reason for it (or for the very low national IQ results), but a failed education system - hiding it does not make for impetus to change. The world laughed at Japanese products in the 50-70s, by the 90s all the best stuff comes from Japan (from suits to TVs, cars to robots).

There's a man talking sense! I agree. We are mostly born equal.

Ah yes, the education. Can't get enough of the education. It's all about the education. Wait a minute, aren't you the guy who got fleeced by the Thai ex-wife? She managed to take you for all your assets? A well-traveled, well educated (according to you) man-of-the-world, taken to the cleaners by a peasant farm girl. So now you're here to get back at the Thais....or at least in your mind. An axe to grind. The classic profile of the Thai-bashing farang. Wise up little man, it's time to move on.

Are you talking about me or Slipperx??? As I am the one that mentioned education, I take it you were referring to me - so I'll answer you, for what it is worth: Nope - never been skinned by a Thai women - been married to one for 17 years, she is the bread winner and I home school our teenage kids - see I put my money where my mouth is! I have taught here and at home - here I have taught mostly at college level - I have seen bright kids trying to get a decent education, when they are rammed into classes of 65 where half the class turns up 45 minutes into the lesson because their previous lesson is in another block and always over runs. I personally have post grad qualifications and teaching qualifications, so I do know a little of what I am talking about.

Yes, I do have a axe to grind - not the kind you allude to, but the kind where a fairly wealthy country wastes masses of money on unworkable policies that benefit very few, ignoring warnings from their own experts (academia), and pretend it will make a difference. When if they listened to their own people, they could instead spend that money on premises, books, a decent curriculum and teachers. If you call that Thai bashing, then sorry, you will do better addressing someone else as you clearly do not understand the difference between concern and attack!

• Like 2