NACC ready to indict charges against Parliament President and Senate Speaker

Lite Beer

NACC ready to indict charges against Parliament President and Senate Speaker

BANGKOK, 20 March 2014 (NNT) - The National Anti-Corruption Commission, or NACC, is ready to indict charges against the former Parliament President and the Senate Speaker for amending the constitution that will make alterations to the composition of senators, after there have been allegations that the two were performing their duty dishonestly.

Today, the NACC called a meeting to consider the removal of former Parliament President Somsak Kiatsuranont and his deputy and Senate Speaker Nikom Wairatpanich from their posts on charges of amending the constitution. According to the law, the two have violated Article 270 of the Constitution by intentionally trying to change the composition of the senators and were alleged to have performed their duty in an unethical manner.

The Democrat Party was the plaintiff to remove Somsak from his position while an appointed senator was the one to press charges against Nikom. However, the NACC took both cases for consideration and will finalize their verdict by today.

Earlier, Nikom gave a phone interview that he wasn’t worried if he will be convicted of the charges because he felt confident that the witnesses and the evidence he has were strong enough to defend his case. He also declared that he has performed his parliamentary duties in a strict manner but mentioned that the trial procedures took place too soon, and should have waited until the March 30th senatorial elections finishes.

In case the NACC declares that Somsak and Nikom were both found guilty of the charges, Senate Speaker Nikom would have to stop performing duties right away according to Article 272 of the Constitution. The NACC will have to submit this case to the Senate to remove him from the post.

Regarding the case to remove 308 former MPs and senators who willingly voted for the charter amendment that will alter the composition of the senators, the process is still being considered.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-03-20 footer_n.gif

The NACC is boldly going ahead with what they are constitutionally entrusted to do - and that is uphold the constitution and to investigate any infractions of it. The judicial process is going forward, and that is good news for all Thais.

So long as they do it fairly and without bias then I'm all for it.

• Like 2

The NACC is boldly going ahead with what they are constitutionally entrusted to do - and that is uphold the constitution and to investigate any infractions of it. The judicial process is going forward, and that is good news for all Thais.

I don't see how an independent body could do anything unfairly at this point.

In this divided land....

There seem to be two issues reported here:

1) amending the constitution that will make alterations to the composition of senators

2) after there have been allegations that the two were performing their duty dishonestly

and three questions:

a) Is it a crime to pass a bill that alters the composition of senators?

cool.png Is it a crime to pass any bill later ruled unconstitutional?

c) dishonest in their duties? who decides this, courts or the senate?

No doubt that hardly any serving politician in the western world would stand up under these if true. In my opinion, this is just another joke.

I do agree that the senate process seems invalid based on what has been reported for the bill, but then the senate also did not pass it, so where is the foul?

Everyone needs to play by the rule book, red and yellow and the rainbow.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Without the courts and General Prayuth the place would be a basket case

• Like 2

In this divided land....

1) amending the constitution that will make alterations to the composition of senators

2) after there have been allegations that the two were performing their duty dishonestly

and three questions:

No doubt that hardly any serving politician in the western world would stand up under these if true. In my opinion, this is just another joke.

I do agree that the senate process seems invalid based on what has been reported for the bill, but then the senate also did not pass it, so where is the foul?

Someone must decide who regulates the behavior of the person holding these offices. They must follow parliamentary procedure and regard the law.

Allowing bills to be secretly amended, allowing fraudulent voting, refusing the opposition allowable debating time, promising that voting will be the next day and then voting when the opposition has gone home, ramming voting through in the early hours. The speakers should ensure all follow the procedures not cheat to help the government.

Regardless of which agency or court has responsibility these two should be investigated and charged if there is sufficient evidence. If found guilty they should also be investigated for unusual increases in wealth. If this is also found then they should go to prison for a very long time.

But, as this is Thailand they will simply lie and their PTP friends will ask their terrorist friends to intimidate the agencies and courts on their behalf as clearly, regardless of any reality, this is all just a conspiracy against the elected minority.

Thaivisa's Admin has reported that the other newspaper (BP) has reported on its website that the NACC has voted unanimously to remove Nikom Wairatpanich as Senate Speaker for abuse of power while chairing parliament meetings to deliberate the charter bill. Meanwhile the decision on Somsiak Kiatsuranont has been delayed pending more evidence.

Edited by Sunderland

I have been asking my 5 yr old son what he wants to be when he grows up. He replies soldier, fireman and typical young boy stuff.

Forget that...a lawyer in Thailand is a safe career choice I reckon.

but for politician you need less qualification and you make way more money.

I have been asking my 5 yr old son what he wants to be when he grows up. He replies soldier, fireman and typical young boy stuff.

Forget that...a lawyer in Thailand is a safe career choice I reckon.

but for politician you need less qualification and you make way more money.

Or be a camel herding fugitive and make even more - it's just handed to you for the asking.

I don't give a dam if they are biased if it is illegal I am all for it.

Just because some one is biased does not make an illegal action rite.

that is like saying Thaksin is innocent because the charges were from a biased source and were politically inspired.

I don't give a dam what causes them if they catch a crook good on them. If they exonerate them good on them. How is that for being non biased?

• Like 1

In this divided land....

and three questions:

The Senate passed the bill to elect all senators. The bill that they didn't pass was the Amnesty bill.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If the courts and General Prayuth stopped biasedly interfering in politics the place wouldn't be a basket case.

If the courts and General Prayuth stopped biasedly interfering in politics the place wouldn't be a basket case.

It would be worse.

• Like 1

I don't give a dam if they are biased if it is illegal I am all for it.

Just because some one is biased does not make an illegal action rite.

that is like saying Thaksin is innocent because the charges were from a biased source and were politically inspired.

I don't give a dam what causes them if they catch a crook good on them. If they exonerate them good on them. How is that for being non biased?

I worry for you NortherJohn.

When the dust settles and the Reds have won I think your head might explode.

I'm not sure if you'll make it to see the day Big Daddy Thaksin returns home to a heroes welcome.

It would be worse.

Only for the am-mart.

It would be worse.

Only for the am-mart.

Bob, after ten years here I still don't understand Thai politics but as you seem to an expert I wonder if you tell me why nearly half the country supports the party of the 'amart' if they are so awful.

They can't all be rich, hi-so elite types or else Mr Thaksin would have sold more than just a tiny percentage of his Elite Club cards by now.

Edited by bigbamboo

Good news for all *rich* Thais, you mean. The poorer ones will get shot, abused and deported as usually happens in Thailand.

By the way, how is your lovely condo in Bangkok, and how are your lovely slaves (sorry, servants) performing, Scamp-ammart?

Good news for all *rich* Thais, you mean. The poorer ones will get shot, abused and deported as usually happens in Thailand.

By the way, how is your lovely condo in Bangkok, and how are your lovely slaves (sorry, servants) performing, Scamp-ammart?

Where do poor Thai citizens get deported to?

It would be worse.

Only for the am-mart.

Bob, after ten years here I still don't understand Thai politics but as you seem to an expert I wonder if you tell me why nearly half the country supports the party of the 'amart' if they are so awful.

They can't all be rich, hi-so elite types or else Mr Thaksin would have sold more than just a tiny percentage of his Elite Club cards by now.

In 2005, in Thaksin's biggest win the Democrats only got 18% of the vote, In 2007 they got about 32% and in 2011 they got about 35%

The results below are 2006 (seats won)

Thai Rak Thai M CTP Democrat

375 2 27 96

After the 2006 coup the constitution was amended and then that constitution was amended again by the Abhisit government prior to the 2011 elections. In addition to the constitutional amendments there was also an all out assault by the courts, twice disbanding Thaksin backed political parties and imposing bans on hundreds of Red politicians.

So after skewing and distorting the system in their favour - the Democrats were able to raise their support from 1/5 to 1/3.

Still not enough.

So here we are, country in turmoil again because they Democrats and their backers want a third go a rewriting the rules to favour them.

But the simple fact is, support for the Democrats is just too low for any system that could be taken seriously by the rest of the world to actually produce a Democrat government.

All this reform talk now isn't about creating a transparent democratic system, it's simply a cover for creating a system that allows an electoral minority to win a parliamentary majority.

Such a system will never be accepted by the masses - so in all likelihood all of the ongoing death and destruction will be for naught.

As for the make up of the Democrat supporters, beyond wealth and geography I believe ethnicity and classism plays a big part.

BTW - I am far from an expert, all the experts on TV are pro-yellow

Edited by HonestQuietBob

Where do poor Thai citizens get deported to?

The cemetery.

What place?, The senate?, Parliament? Thailand?