SAMUT PRAKAN
Dump fire likely 'destroying evidence' : DSI

PIYANUT TUMNUKASETCHAI,
TANATPONG KONGSAI,
POUNGCHOMPOO PRASERT
THE NATION

30229699-01_big.jpg
DSI says it might be difficult to prove who has been dumping illegal waste

BANGKOK: -- THE RAGING fire on a large landfill in Samut Prakan might have already destroyed evidence of illegally dumped industrial waste, |a senior official from theDepartment of Special Investigation (DSI) said.

"With the fire continuing to burn, it is becoming increasingly difficult to trace the origins of the industrial waste," Pong-in Intarakhao said |yesterday in his capacity as director of the DSI Security Crime Bureau.

He spoke to reporters after meeting the chief administrator of the Tambon Praek Sa Administrative Organisation.

The DSI has stepped in to investigate the landfill in Muang Samut Prakan district's tambon Praek Sa after a fire broke out there on Sunday, spreading toxic fumes over several other districts and in neighbouring Bangkok.

People suffering after-effects

According to Dr Namphol Danpipat, Samut Prakan's deputy public health chief, at least 833 people have sought medical treatment for smog-related symptoms, such as skin and eye irritation and breathing problems.

"One of the patients - a baby aged just a year and eight months - had to be hospitalised," Namphol said, adding that the infant had developed a lung infection and had been put on a respirator.

"But overall, his condition is improving," he said.

Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Dr Narong Sahametapat also expressed concern about people living close to the dump but refusing to evacuate.

"We have knocked on the doors of houses within a 500-metre radius from the landfill and found that some people have continued to stay in the smog-filled area," he said.

"Some of them live barely 50 metres from the landfill."

Relevant authorities have repeatedly warned people that the smog is harmful to health.

Narong said his ministry had registered about 700 local residents, taxi motorcyclists, firefighters and volunteers for comprehensive health checks.

"They will be subjected to blood tests, their lungs will be X-rayed and they will undergo liver and kidney efficiency checks," Narong said.

He added that the Department of Health would also check the quality and condition of tap water, artesian water and groundwater around the landfill.

"The results should come out within a week," he said.

As of press time yesterday, the blaze was still raging, though it appeared to be more contained. Several agencies have joined in to help extinguish the fire, which has turned the spotlight on illegal waste disposal.

It is now widely believed that industrial waste, especially the toxic sort, had been dumped in the landfill.

Pong-in said records showed that Kromapol Samutsakhon had sought a licence to operate a garbage-disposal business at the site, but the licence had expired in 2012.

He added that the Tambon Praek Sa Administrative Organisation had taken action against Kromapol several times after learning that harmful waste was being dumped at the spot.

"The authority had imposed a Bt2,000 fine and ordered the closure of the landfill," he said, adding that illegal garbage continued being disposed at the site despite complaints from locals.

Pong-in said the local administrative body now planned to file both criminal and civil complaints against those behind the illegal disposal.

"The DSI will look for more evidence in this case," Pong-in said, though he admitted that it would be difficult to link what is left after the fire to any specific factory.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-21

Ah, yes, the police have already opened a new landfill site in which to dump their toxic corruption.

Another fine of 2,000 Baht should scare the crap out of the owner.

They know exactly who is responsible - another article mentioned numerous complaints from locals.

• Like 1

This shameful violation of the public's health needs to stop yesterday already. There are some corners that are not meant to be cut, and toxic waste dumping is one of those corners. Criminals who expose thousands of people to extremely toxic smoke, should go to prison for absolutely ages. A small fine is beyond a joke - it is a direct insult to the victims who are now going to hospital because of this smoke.

• Like 2

Anyone knows if the smoke reached the center of Bangkok? ie: Silom.

The worst days were Monday to Wednesday. That was when the smoke was like a thick fog in many places, and was very difficult to breathe. Today the air is a lot clearer here where I am, and we have had it really bad from Monday-Wednesday. I don't know about the city centre but by the evidence, the worst is over now.

This morning on the South West side of the river near Rama 9 bridge andall the way towards Taksin Bridge, the smell was very noticable - wind coming from the direction of the fire.

I assume it spread across all of the CBD as well.

This wont be much of a problem for DSI if the trucking company's name is "Democrat Trucking Co."

Can anyone think of another trucking company that might be involved with some people who might be seeking to destroy lots of evidence at the moment?

Might be another dead end investigation. whistling.gif

What about properly administered and controlled landfills, a robust nationwide recycling programme and strenghening and strict enforcement of the relevant laws?

Wait a minute...

sent from my hippo phone

I have lived for protracted periods in Germany and Taiwan, so it is second nature for me to use separate bins for kitchen waste, plastic/paper, cans and bottles.

I place the kitchen waste outside every collection day and the various other bags when they are full.

Sadly the guys come along and throw them all into the back of the same truck. Yes, maybe it's a shame, but it won't stop me separating the waste, as it's still quite an efficient way for me to deal with it.

I agree, once you start it is just as easy. Please find a local recycler and take it there yourself. Or start a neighborhood cooperative and get a collector to come once a week .

Everyone MUST stop throwing anything away as " garbage" I even compress plastic bags and cellophane packaging so it can be recycled with other plastics Vegetable scraps can be composted too, easily in a large garbage can with 3 cm holes cut out of it.

I now only throw out a small bag of bathroom waste per week

Anyone know where local recyclers might be?

I sort mine too, even though I know it all goes to the same place. I just like to think that someone comes along and goes through it to take out the recycling stuff (sometimes you see those people on the street going through looking for stuff to sell).

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What about properly administered and controlled landfills, a robust nationwide recycling programme and strenghening and strict enforcement of the relevant laws?

Wait a minute...

sent from my hippo phone

I have lived for protracted periods in Germany and Taiwan, so it is second nature for me to use separate bins for kitchen waste, plastic/paper, cans and bottles.

I place the kitchen waste outside every collection day and the various other bags when they are full.

Sadly the guys come along and throw them all into the back of the same truck. Yes, maybe it's a shame, but it won't stop me separating the waste, as it's still quite an efficient way for me to deal with it.

Sad thing is where I work in Phnom Penh I recycle almost all my waste, like many other people. Rubbish collectors make a living from this business (albeit very small) and householders can also make a little bit selling their plastic, glass, paper etc to them. It's a win win situation for everyone. Here in Khon Kaen where my wife and son are, grandma saves up paper, plastic bottles and glass but that is about it. The recyler's seem a bit erratic by comparison to Cambodia (where several come by every day, you hear them coming as they all use a squeaky toy) but they are here.

This wont be much of a problem for DSI if the trucking company's name is "Democrat Trucking Co."

Can anyone think of another trucking company that might be involved with some people who might be seeking to destroy lots of evidence at the moment?

Might be another dead end investigation. whistling.gif

"Dead end" can have a multi-layered meaning in this part of the world. There are many ways of destroying evidence and taking care of tattle-tales in Thailand. Especially if big-money is involved.

"The authority had imposed a Bt2,000 fine".

How about increasing those stupidly low fines to something that actually hurts and perhaps even jailing some people once in a while.

It doesn't matter the penalty. The DSI won't find the culprits anyway.

DSI, who murdered Suthin? I rest my case.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand