Annual Tax Declaration Form In English & Some Good News...

sirchai

Hello and Sawasdee Khrap,

I had to make my annual tax declaration and thought it would be worth to ask some serious questions, as almost everybody in my family back home had made taxes for big companies and it's always good to get at least some expenses deducted.

I paid 3 K last year which isn't much, but why should anybody pay tax if there're ways around it?-biggrin.png

This year I mentioned my car, insurance, rent, etc..and then that I'm also supporting my wife's parents who are poor farmers. Okay, the woman at the tax department gave me a form, my father and mother in law had to sign and write their ID card numbers in.

Came back the next day and found out that no tax had to be paid. Please see attached tax declaration forms in English, as i always had to ask somebody else to help me.

Please see the "donation to a political party part" on page one. Cheers-wai2.gif

post-108180-0-85850900-1395379274_thumb.

post-108180-0-51006600-1395380096_thumb.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what is going on with taxes this year, but I'm not complaining! Last year I paid 13,400 baht and that included claiming my son and wife. When I filed a few days ago, my total bill for the year was 5,200 baht. All the teachers in my department had reduced bills as well. Our school only started taking taxes out (1000 baht per month) last October, so only 3,000 baht by the end of the year. Still doesn't add up, but hey like I said before, I'm not complaining!thumbsup.gif

I'm not sure what is going on with taxes this year, but I'm not complaining! Last year I paid 13,400 baht and that included claiming my son and wife. When I filed a few days ago, my total bill for the year was 5,200 baht. All the teachers in my department had reduced bills as well. Our school only started taking taxes out (1000 baht per month) last October, so only 3,000 baht by the end of the year. Still doesn't add up, but hey like I said before, I'm not complaining!thumbsup.gif

Tax rates changed this year (for the better) and it looks like employers did not adjust for this....so tax bills would reduced or, as in my case, I get back more money than I did last year.

Yeah this year Yingluck's tax cuts took effect. Whereby basically they split the 10% tax bracket in half, so you pay 5% on the first 100k and 10% on the second 100k (previously you paid 10% on the first 200k)

That's after deductions etc.

Also as SirChai pointed out, there are lots of potential deductions you can make to your taxable income, e.g.

Wife

Wife's mother & father

Life insurance for anyone in your family

Charitable donations etc

E.g. This year my family donated around 35k to the local temple as they were opening a new building. I got them to write me up a proper receipt to go with it (in my name), showed the receipt to the tax lady at the amphur and she said it'd be tax deductible.

It essentially meant that that 35k donation was 10% cheaper (about that, there is a maximum amount of tax you can write off via donations). Which isn't a lot, but it was nice to get something back :)

So yeah, if your wife gives a donation to the temple etc, make sure they get a receipt in your name :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Sly, you donated more money to the temple than I'm making a month. I'd assume you can put as many items as you want on that list.

Interesting to read that this was Yingluck's cut. Seems it is a big loss of face..aeeh money which might be the reason that she couldn't pay the rice farmers.

Tax laws in all countries are pretty strange and usually change a few times a year.

P.S. Congratulations, Sly!

Edited by sirchai

To the OP, "This year I mentioned my car, insurance, rent, etc".

Like, are alluding that there can be deductions for these expenses? Please elaborate.

Best is to put all on the table what you're actually paying for.

As Sly had already mentioned, life insurance of all family members, car insurance, bills when you got your car fixed, hospital bills, dentist's bills etc...

So more you show them, so less tax you'll pay. Please also mention that you also a sort of support your parents in law, as many of us do so.

All they want is that they sign a form.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

"As Sly had already mentioned, life insurance of all family members, car insurance, bills when you got your car fixed, hospital bills, dentist's bills etc..."

OP, are you saying that they gave you deductions for all those items, or did you just give them extra paperwork hoping to get something?

• Like 1

"As Sly had already mentioned, life insurance of all family members, car insurance, bills when you got your car fixed, hospital bills, dentist's bills etc..."

OP, are you saying that they gave you deductions for all those items, or did you just give them extra paperwork hoping to get something?

Sly came up with the life insurance, which makes sense.As I wrote, I had my parents in law sign a document, as I support them as well and didn't pay tax this year.

It seems to be worth to give it a try.Why not all expenses? Taxable expenses seem to be similar to those in other countries.

Edited by sirchai

Lol, It's no wonder that some people leave Thai government departments in tears.

• Like 1

Lol, It's no wonder that some people leave Thai government departments in tears.

Like leaving Immigration in Phiboon unsuccessfully?

Like leaving Immigration in Phiboon unsuccessfully?

Yes, trying to fit squares into triangles.

There are limits on each category of expenses, often both as a % of your income and a maximum dollar value.

Also you don't necessarily need to provide proof of the expenses unless you are audited (you can actually fill in the forms online rather than going to the tax office in the amphur).

If you want a detailed breakdown of what can/can't be claimed and how much etc, the government revenue departments website is below:

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

I thought it was pretty crazy the amount of deductions you're allowed. Now that I'm married, I don't think I'd need to pay any tax lol.

(And yeah SirChai I made a decent sized donation but it was three birds with one stone. As I wanted to help the temple, help my gf's family gain face/feel good (I told them I'd match their own personal donation), and I had failed in some personal fitness goals I'd set earlier in the year, and had attached a penalty to them so needed to pay the penalty)

• Like 1

There are limits on each category of expenses, often both as a % of your income and a maximum dollar value.

Also you don't necessarily need to provide proof of the expenses unless you are audited (you can actually fill in the forms online rather than going to the tax office in the amphur).

If you want a detailed breakdown of what can/can't be claimed and how much etc, the government revenue departments website is below:

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

I thought it was pretty crazy the amount of deductions you're allowed. Now that I'm married, I don't think I'd need to pay any tax lol.

(And yeah SirChai I made a decent sized donation but it was three birds with one stone. As I wanted to help the temple, help my gf's family gain face/feel good (I told them I'd match their own personal donation), and I had failed in some personal fitness goals I'd set earlier in the year, and had attached a penalty to them so needed to pay the penalty)

Thanks Sly for your informative post. And welcome to the club of married men on this forum. May your marriage last as long as possible.