Thai Constitutional Court voids February election

webfact

Apologies if this point has been made already, the judges seem to have set a precedent here:

An election not held entirely on the same day is invalid, therefore in the future anytime a disaffected party or group of individuals feel an election is not going to go their way all they have to do is block one polling station and there goes the election.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

You're right, but now that both sides know about the tactic they're going to have to talk. And work something out.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apologies if this point has been made already, the judges seem to have set a precedent here:

An election not held entirely on the same day is invalid, therefore in the future anytime a disaffected party or group of individuals feel an election is not going to go their way all they have to do is block one polling station and there goes the election.

No, I don't think you are wrong. Many other posters have made the same point as well as some foreign commentators. Even the anti-election posters on this board has not attempted to defend this ruling (oh, except for one elderly Dutch grandfather) as they all know that Thailand is now on a very slippery slope.

There's no mention of when a fresh new election will be held. This court obviously wants to deliberately create a power vacuum. These right-wing machinations are now so brazen and transparent it is a national embarrassment.

People who know they are going to lose, cheat, usually by making up the rules as they go along. It's corruption on a cosmic scale, and this form of corruption is now the primary means which the right-wing/royalist/yellow side uses to gain power without an electoral mandate. They've done it before so of course they will try it again.

Given that the two sides seem to be of roughly equal power (at least while the army is keeping out of it), I can only see two solutions: one is the miraculous appearance of a non-aligned, capable, charismatic (and liberal) leader who can set up a new party on a new set of principles - an opportunity there for somebody.

The other is to accept this nonsense with forbearance until a simple and inevitable stroke of force majeure changes the political landscape radically.

Do we have a new buzzword? It's about time. Fascist and thugs are worn out.

The constitution court isn't the problem. It's the constitution that needs to be adjusted to close the kind of loophole the PDRC used. The wording today is very clear, the election has to be held on the same day across Thailand.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A constitutional adjustment is exactly what the Suthepsta's want.

They want to close any loopholes that allow the people of Thailand to choose their own governments through elections.

The Thai constitution is loaded with what appears to be deliberate ambiguities that can be exploited by the permanent, appointed institutions to eject the people's elected government at will.

One day, probably not too far in the future, a fair and balanced, equitable, modern version of a constitution will be put forward in a referendum, by the Reds, for the people to vote on in an environment without any undue external pressure. The peoples voice on how they want their country to be run will for the first time ever be heard and the old establishment will be forced to exit stage left - they are no longer necessary and most certainly no longer wanted.

There you go again making untrue statements, my dear bob.

The only constitution the red-shirts wanted was 'give us the people's constitution of 1997'. Now that one was even more faulty, the 2007 version has many more protection for normal citizens and independent agencies.

The new establishment of Thaksin c.s. is certainly not a step forward. He is a more and more unwanted Amply Rich maniac, it would seem.

That was in sight.
The EC has previously stressed several times that they can not hold fair and peaceful elections, because the protests.
So now 4,2 Billion Baht burned for nothing.
The government waste the taxpayers money in an incredible irresponsibility.

Not sure one polling station could already be used as reason.

I guest that's another reason why we need to be more precise in formulating reforms and have them BEFORE a new election.

Thaksin is only financially elite, he's not socially elite.

It's a simple differentiation that somehow seems to stump you yellow TV posters.

Whether Thaksin is financially elite or not is irrelevant, it's who he represents that is important.

Thaksin, for better or for worse, represents the majority of the population who are overwhelmingly poor.

HIs supporters are not exclusively poor and not all the poor exclusively support him but broadly speaking the 20% of the population that are diehard Democrats are in the top half of the wealth distribution of this nation and the 40% to 50% of diehard Thaksinites are in the lower half of the wealth distribution.

So the rich versus poor scenario is apt.

One more thing you yellow fans seem to be unable or unwilling to comprehend is that with or without Thaksin and his family the Red movement will continue to exist and continue to dominate the electoral landscape of the nation.

The obsession with Thaksin is no more than a tactic and propaganda by the powers behind the yellows to garner the support of the gullible to their cause of ending democracy in Thailand.

Thaksin represents himself first and formost. Next comes his family and cronies. The poor get a handout and should go back home.

Now try to understand, that more people are starting to understand that Thailand has to change. Even the middle classes now that. What we do not need though is a red-shirt movement which was said to have 'evolved beyond Thaksin" but still doing all to help him as if that's democratic. The obsession for Thaksin by UDD and red-shirts is what may be the biggest threat to democracy in Thailand.

It's time for the real grassroots to drop ALL elites be they real or fake. It's time they start to be self-reliant, independent of local overlords, etc., etc.

And how is this ideology put in place with near on a thousand years of what you are stating practiced? IMO, will take at least a couple of generations and in between we can simply except the same problems and deaths / corruption to keep plaguing the country for years to come.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's a simple differentiation that somehow seems to stump you yellow TV posters.

Whether Thaksin is financially elite or not is irrelevant, it's who he represents that is important.

Thaksin, for better or for worse, represents the majority of the population who are overwhelmingly poor.

HIs supporters are not exclusively poor and not all the poor exclusively support him but broadly speaking the 20% of the population that are diehard Democrats are in the top half of the wealth distribution of this nation and the 40% to 50% of diehard Thaksinites are in the lower half of the wealth distribution.

One more thing you yellow fans seem to be unable or unwilling to comprehend is that with or without Thaksin and his family the Red movement will continue to exist and continue to dominate the electoral landscape of the nation.

The obsession with Thaksin is no more than a tactic and propaganda by the powers behind the yellows to garner the support of the gullible to their cause of ending democracy in Thailand.

Thaksin represents himself first and formost. Next comes his family and cronies. The poor get a handout and should go back home.

Now try to understand, that more people are starting to understand that Thailand has to change. Even the middle classes now that. What we do not need though is a red-shirt movement which was said to have 'evolved beyond Thaksin" but still doing all to help him as if that's democratic. The obsession for Thaksin by UDD and red-shirts is what may be the biggest threat to democracy in Thailand.

It's time for the real grassroots to drop ALL elites be they real or fake. It's time they start to be self-reliant, independent of local overlords, etc., etc.

And suthep is the man to do it, right? It's not the middle classes that you need to worry about, It's the people behind suthep.

You still think that this is about combatting corruption and giving power back to the people don't you. tuzki-bunny-emoticon-023.gif

What's next for Thailand? I don't see that there will be the possibility of another election as nothing would have changed. PTP may have lost some votes but I doubt if these votes would go to the Dems, meaning it is unlikely that the Dems will win if there is another election.

In the meantime, assuming YL get's impeached. What then? An appointed interim PM? Would he/she be brave enough to govern without setting a new election date? Would he/she be brave enough to set a new election date?

While that is happening, how will the pro-Govt supporters react? Will they sit patiently on the side lines while waiting for the interim PM to come to a decision? Or will they try "legally" storm Bangkok and do a sit in a la Suthep?

What then if the Reds in the North decides that they don't want elections? There is no way the RTP / RTA will be able to prevent them from disrupting candidate registration / polling booths in their own heartland.

All these are leading to the perfect storm I fear.

• Like 1

There's no mention of when a fresh new election will be held. This court obviously wants to deliberately create a power vacuum. These right-wing machinations are now so brazen and transparent it is a national embarrassment.

People who know they are going to lose, cheat, usually by making up the rules as they go along. It's corruption on a cosmic scale, and this form of corruption is now the primary means which the right-wing/royalist/yellow side uses to gain power without an electoral mandate. They've done it before so of course they will try it again.

Given that the two sides seem to be of roughly equal power (at least while the army is keeping out of it), I can only see two solutions: one is the miraculous appearance of a non-aligned, capable, charismatic (and liberal) leader who can set up a new party on a new set of principles - an opportunity there for somebody.

The other is to accept this nonsense with forbearance until a simple and inevitable stroke of force majeure changes the political landscape radically.

Judicial conspiracy theories are not necessary. The EC publicly warned the government ad nauseum that it was not possible to conduct an election under the circumstances, and the government disregarded the EC's advice. The court is merely interpreting the law, what else would you have them do? It's up to the government and the EC to work out a new election date - but not before the government does some (I would imagine, rather ugly) politicking to make the poll possible.

• Like 1

Independent law academic Verapat says Constitutional Court overrules charter

BANGKOK: -- Independent law academic Verapat Pariyawong said the Constitutional Court had overruled the constitution as the Charter allowed for elections to be staged at a later date if all the House seats were not occupied.

The charter stated that if 95 per cent of all House of Representative seats were occupied members could convene. It requires the seats to be fully occupied within 180 days.

There are 500 House of Representative constituencies.

"In my view, the Constitutional Court has ruled in a way that is against the constitution both in terms of the content and the process," Verapat said.

"However, the court did not bring the cause of the [problems related to] the election in the 28 constituencies, the obstruction of the election, into consideration.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-21

No, I don't think you are wrong. Many other posters have made the same point as well as some foreign commentators. Even the anti-election posters on this board has not attempted to defend this ruling (oh, except for one elderly Dutch grandfather) as they all know that Thailand is now on a very slippery slope.

Since when is correcting what some say the ruling is, identical to "defending". Why would the ruling need to be defended anyway? Didn't the CC judges give sufficient reasoning for calling the Feb2 elections invalid?

Mind you with all anti-government protest and anti-anti-government protests and an Emergency Decree and shooting in the night and some grenade and duds lobbing fun it might be a surprise the CC ruled on a technicality, but but that was what they were asked to rule on.

The other issues are certainly worthwhile investigating, but not necessarily by the CC.

Stay cool and keep smiling,

elderly Dutch grandfather rubl

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

Rule #1 for all future Thai anarchists: Disrupt an election in once constituency on election day and the election is null and void.

A ruling that I predicted. Irrational court jurisdictions lead to predictable outcomes that are, nonetheless, irrational.

Quite.

The system of thought you so accurately describe is the post-WW2 scheme of Thai ethics and principles of society. It's called the Ethics Correlation and Sustainability Causation Taxonomy, which in translation means, If you can't wow them with brilliance, bury them with bullsh*t.

1) Two wrongs make a right.

2) When the right from #1 expires, add another wrong to make it right again.

3) As new problems arise, develop new wrongs to keep things right.

4) When several old rights together start to wear thin, and the new rights no longer fit, keep it simple by adding one new ingeniously obvious wrong.

5) When everything seems to be right, add any wrong just to keep a balance.

6) Expect that some wrongs will actually turn out to be right, which will be a sure sign a coup is nigh.

7) After the coup sets all the rights wrong and all the wrongs right, be sure the NACC devises some new wrongs to set things right again.

8) When your Thai wife tells you you are wrong, tell her she is right smile.png

9) All fahlang are right, which means they are wrong, especially when they say two wrongs don't make a right.

10) Add to naam soup and stir, ad infinitum.

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 2

ok, there would be the next one, with the same effect - reds will win the majority, democrats will be losing support (that even if they contest an election).

dems wanted a new parliament, PM dissolved the house, dems boycotted the election. The reds won, election invalidated by yellow's palls from the court, dems call for boycott of the next poll.

the country is going down the drain, not the government, but courts, agencies and fascist mob on the streets running amok, destroying what is left from the reasonable economic, political and social stability.

The reds will not win if farmers wake up and smell the crap emanating from the rice pledging scam but that is to be seen.

Fascist mobs?

fas·cist [fash-ist]

noun

a person who believes in or sympathizes with fascism.

fas·cism [fash-iz-uhm]

noun

( sometimes initial capital letter ) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

I think your confused. The reds are the facist mob as their dictator is Thaksin in all his glory.

The current protestors do not want to be led by Suthep or any dictator.

They are protesting against the tyranny of one man.

No surprise, anyone who can read can see that it is clearly stated in the constitution that the election has to be held in all constituencies on the same day. The government was well aware of this and the Election Committee warned them that if they insisted on having the election it could be found invalid and yet the government insisted on having it anyway. How much money did that cause the tax payer?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well, if the 'gold' standard for postponing an election is a warning from the EC that there could be 'trouble', what are the chance of another election ever happening? On the other hand, the CC has made it very clear how easy it is to sabotage the democratic process. And crimes and constitutionality will never meet.

The only constitution the red-shirts wanted was 'give us the people's constitution of 1997'. Now that one was even more faulty, the 2007 version has many more protection for normal citizens and independent agencies.

The new establishment of Thaksin c.s. is certainly not a step forward. He is a more and more unwanted Amply Rich maniac, it would seem.

Calling people liars again I see.

"The only constitution the red-shirts wanted was 'give us the people's constitution of 1997'. Now that one was even more faulty, the 2007 version has many more protection for normal citizens and independent agencies."

Explain how.

Actually the CC ruled that the elections were invalid because they were not held on one and the same day. In itself that has nothing to do with the anti-government protests or the blocking of registration/voting booths.

OK Sherlock, so the actions of suthep and his anti democrats had nothing to do with the fact that the election couldn't be held on one day? Is this a special skill you have - completely missing the obvious?

The government was warned by various organisations, EC and others that the elections would not be able to be held on a single day. A court ruling the elections could be postponed was greeted by "we respect the ruling" from Yingluck and "we must go forward" by other Pheu Thai people. The government ignored the warnings, pushed (note, not rushed) the elections and now we blame Suthep?

ok, there would be the next one, with the same effect - reds will win the majority, democrats will be losing support (that even if they contest an election).

the country is going down the drain, not the government, but courts, agencies running amok, destroying what is left from the reasonable economic, political and social stability

I would be interested in seeing if the reds would win a future election! IMO they have cooked their goose, I really don't see them having as much support as they had in 2010, they have p*ssed off most of the electorate including the rice farmers, first time car buyers and many more.

The idea that they have been democratically good for Thailand is Laughable to say the least.

The only reason Thailand is going through all this turmoil is because the Thaksin backed parties are unbeatable in elections.

They are simply too popular.

The Democrats aren't even close, never will be and are only going to fall further behind as events unfold in the coming years.

Any election that truly reflects the will of the Thai people is an election that Team Thaksin wins.

Even though you may not think Thaksin has been good for Thailand, the majority of Thais do - and their the ones that count.

Another one with the bullshit propaganda! That may have been the case in 2010, but as I have said I doubt that is the case now, no matter how much you want to believe that, from what I understand Thais are sick of Thaksin and and PTP.

It seems the only ones that don't see that are TV red supporters!whistling.gif

Court has ruled and it's now water over the bridge. A new election will be held. Court verdict only harden the government supporters with no hope for the Dem to win them over. For staunch Dem supporters, they can enjoy this moment of false victory. For the neutrals, they will be disgusted with the Court and the Dem second boycott and may not vote or cross over. Dem loss. All told, ball at Dem/PDRC court and it's now their dilemma on how to move forward. They are the one to be sweating while PT just sit cool and win the next election.

Calling people liars again I see.

"The only constitution the red-shirts wanted was 'give us the people's constitution of 1997'. Now that one was even more faulty, the 2007 version has many more protection for normal citizens and independent agencies."

Explain how.

How many more times do I have to give you this link, my dear fabs?

"Deconstructing Thailand's (New) Eighteenth Constitution

Vitit Muntarbhorn"

http://www.thailawforum.com/articles/Thailand-Eighteeth-Consititution.html

Court has ruled and it's now water over the bridge. A new election will be held. Court verdict only harden the government supporters with no hope for the Dem to win them over. For staunch Dem supporters, they can enjoy this moment of false victory. For the neutrals, they will be disgusted with the Court and the Dem second boycott and may not vote or cross over. Dem loss. All told, ball at Dem/PDRC court and it's now their dilemma on how to move forward. They are the one to be sweating while PT just sit cool and win the next election.

Works both ways, my dear Eric.

So, back to reforms

Would like to know where these numbers were drawn from, if you don't mind.

Thanks.

dems wanted a new parliament, PM dissolved the house, dems boycotted the election. The reds won, election invalidated by yellow's palls from the court, dems call for boycott of the next poll.

the country is going down the drain, not the government, but courts, agencies and fascist mob on the streets running amok, destroying what is left from the reasonable economic, political and social stability.

The reds will not win if farmers wake up and smell the crap emanating from the rice pledging scam but that is to be seen.

Fascist mobs?

fas·cist [fash-ist]

noun

a person who believes in or sympathizes with fascism.

fas·cism [fash-iz-uhm]

noun

( sometimes initial capital letter ) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

I think your confused. The reds are the facist mob as their dictator is Thaksin in all his glory.

The current protestors do not want to be led by Suthep or any dictator.

They are protesting against the tyranny of one man.

Outmoded definition of fascism. Your dictionary word-based definition applied to the 20th century, especially the first half of the 20th century.

Here is a contemporary definition which, when read, strikes home because it accurately states the contemporary mode of fascism and fascists as developed by social scientists, to include political scientists in particular:

"Fascism seeks to build a mass movement of everyone considered part of the

national community, actively engaged but controlled from above, to seize

political power and remake the social order. This movement is driven by a

vision of the national community rising phoenix-like after a period of

encroaching decadence which all but destroyed it.Such rebirth involves

systematic, top-down transformation of all social spheres by an

authoritarian state, and suppression or purging of all forces, ideologies,

and social groups the fascists define as alien.

http://kasamaproject.org/history/2076-8fascism-as-movement-ideology

• Like 1

My dear rubl,

Like I told you on another thread, please know when to give up fighting a lost point. Yes, the elections have been ruled invalid as they were not held on the same day. And the reason for this? Suthep / PDRC. Seems that this point is obvious to all and sundry but for you.

You ignore that the government was warned that the elections wouldn't be able to be held on a single day. They still pushed on. They were told by a court they could postpone by issuing a new Royal Decree, they were told to sort things out with the EC. They ignored, obfuscated, delayed and now it's Suthep's fault?

And suthep is the man to do it, right? It's not the middle classes that you need to worry about, It's the people behind suthep.

You still think that this is about combatting corruption and giving power back to the people don't you. tuzki-bunny-emoticon-023.gif

Did I ever say Suthep is the man to do it? Did SUthep ever say he was the man to do it?

You still think it's about a pure and simple Isaan darling who was mistreated by those pesky Dems' don't you?

Outmoded definition of fascism. Your dictionary word-based definition applied to the 20th century, especially the first half of the 20th century.

Here is a contemporary definition which, when read, strikes home because it accurately states the contemporary mode of fascism and fascists as developed by social scientists, to include political scientists in particular:

"Fascism seeks to build a mass movement of everyone considered part of the

national community, actively engaged but controlled from above, to seize

political power and remake the social order. This movement is driven by a

vision of the national community rising phoenix-like after a period of

encroaching decadence which all but destroyed it.Such rebirth involves

systematic, top-down transformation of all social spheres by an

authoritarian state, and suppression or purging of all forces, ideologies,

and social groups the fascists define as alien.

http://kasamaproject.org/history/2076-8fascism-as-movement-ideology

Interesting definition, but we were not discussing the UDD / red-shirts. Here we discuss the ruling of the Constitutional Court.

reds have won every single election, every time stronger

Just goes to show that you know nothing.

The reds only existed since 2010, before that there were no red shirts.

Catch up with the rest of us.

Their 8 million votes would never have won them power and since they got those 8 million votes, they have pissed off a load of that 8 million.

Its over, they are unelectable. Unless of course you want to try to explain to me what happened to the other 8 million voters from 2011? They seem to have gone astray.

Dream on mate.

Pedantic crap!

Red = Pro Thaksin

Yellow = Anti Thaksin

Why complicate the simple.

Who is going to show up to an election that one of the major parties has boycotted.

Turnout was low because of the boycott, not because of PTP support has halved.

You think PTP support sits at 8 million, you're in for one hell of a shock should the other cowards ever front up for an election.

I am truly bewildered by the fact the anyone who claims to be even slightly educated can allow their bias to lead them to ignore the reams and reams of data generated over the course of a decade and 6 general elections that shows the overwhelming support of the Reds and the faltering minority support of the Democrats.

Daydream believers one and all.

I am truly bewildered by the fact the anyone who claims to be even slightly educated can allow their bias to lead them to ignore the reams and reams of data etc

The question is So why do you?

Very handy to fall back on old data and claim it is still relevant. But maybe this time is different, maybe this time they will lose. But to copy you again, you must be a:- Daydream believer

I watched tens of thousands of university students inconvenience themselves, many traveling hundreds of kilometers and taking up to a full day's travel each way, so that they could have their vote heard. The courts make a mockery of their efforts. No wonder that many of them end up so cynical about politics the ability of government to do its job. The court has just shot themselves (as part of the government) in their other foot.

Tens of thousands....were they marching by your house?....

No, they were missing in our Monday classes from our 50,000-student-body university after the Sunday election--a regular phenomenon at every election because of the many students who travel up to 300 kilometers on country roads and cow paths to get to their rural villages.

Notice how every forum has at least one numbskull naysayer who thinks it's his God-given mission to prove everyone else a liar? Respectfully, get a life. passifier.gif

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1

Judicial conspiracy theories are not necessary. The EC publicly warned the government ad nauseum that it was not possible to conduct an election under the circumstances, and the government disregarded the EC's advice. The court is merely interpreting the law, what else would you have them do? It's up to the government and the EC to work out a new election date - but not before the government does some (I would imagine, rather ugly) politicking to make the poll possible.

Once an election has been called it is an absolute requirement of the constitution that it be held within six weeks of the house dissolution. The only role of the EC is to then organise the election. What on earth ever gave you the idea that the EC has the authority to warn the government of Thailand that it should break its obligations under the constitution?

Also, who told you that " it's up to the government and the EC to work out a new election date"? Only governments have the authority to call elections. I thought everyone knew that.

So basically the constitution court has decreed that any random bunch of clowns who manage to block access to any one polling station was enough to suspend democratic process in the whole country.

Not really, if the random bunch of clowns are not sanctioned by the establishment they will be ruthlessly suppressed, and if it were to get as far as the courts, well I dare say precedents can be reversed if it is in the right peoples interests.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2