Could My Burmese Maid Get A Tourist Visa For A Holiday To Europe?

She's been working for us for almost a year and we (me, my wife and 2 young daughters) love her.

Since we plan to spend a couple of months in Europe for the summer (on our summer accommodation) we were thinking if that could be an option.

Does anyone have any previous experience on this subject?

Any advice are welcome

You are aware that you have to apply at the Consulate of the country which is your main destination in the Schengen area.

I'm not sure if all Consulates have a visa processing operation in Myanmar, but if she's legally resident in Thailand she should be able to apply here.

I have no experience of taking an employee on holiday though I suspect it's not that uncommon in circumstances you describe, hopefully somebody with experience will respond.

To add to theoldgit's correct post(s): My advice would be to decide where you wish to go and then contact the embassy of your main destination and inquire with them. The Dutch are usually a friendly bunch (they decline under 3% and just over if you count in appeals just over 2%), no experience with other embassies (though the Spanish embassy seems "less competent", see here ) though. Sent them an e-mail or pay them a visit.

And when you apply, do so at the embassy and not via VFS or TLS. The (European) embassy staff should be able to answer your questions and handle your application properly. If properly prepared (ie: medical travel insurance, sufficient financial means, clear travel intention etc.) there shouldn't be any problems since she is just an other tourist. But unfortunately some Schengen embassies seem less relaxed or competent then others.

One thought; what will she be doing whilst in Europe with you?

If continuing in her employment then were you coming to the UK an ordinary visit visa would not do as that would prohibit working; she would need a domestic worker visa.

Whether the Schengen states have a similar rule, I'm afraid I don't know. Hopefully someone who does will respond.

Indeed you are not allowed to work on a Schengen "Short Stay/tourist" C visa, but they could say that she simply joins the family on their vacation and that it is a holiday for her too.

Both to thank her for her hard work (looking after the family and house while the author and spouse go to work) and simply to give her new experiences and fun (a free, paid holiday -continuing salary payment as well?-). I do assume that most of the time the author and spouse can look after their children so the maid in fact will simply be enjoying a holiday.

• Like 1

At the German embassy, I would rate the chances very low.

They build up mile high hurdles even for Thai relatives in law etc,

(every candidate is treated as a possible refugee from poverty, proving the will to return and not jump the visa is the crucial point)

AND: every candidate has to undergo an interview (grilling) with a Thai employee at the embassy, who puts up a lot of trick questions.

One wrong answer and she is out.

Does she speek Thai well?

Sorry I can not give you an optimistic outlook, but wish you good look at another embassy than the German.

Edited by KhunBENQ

The OP -if not entirely sure where to go in Europe/Schengen and thus has no main destination yet- could sent a mail to a few embassies and briefly, politely inquires about their options, explaining that they wish to go on holiday for some time (2 months?) and suprise their made with a holiday for her aswell -so not to work!! but to join them enjoying a vacation in Europe-.

If they -the European staff and not a copy/paste from Thai staff- respond warm or positively I'd give it a go, if they respond in a rather cold or negative manner, then it might be a waste fo time/money (but it's up to the OP if he wishes finds the 60 euro fee worth a try for an appointment directly via the embassy, most certainly don't go to the incomp.. less competent VFS or TLS staff for a Schengen application!).

IMHO, they should welcome such a nice gesture and positive travel intent and it means some extra income for the economy too: every extra tourist gained is some extra money in the economy (for those who put money above fun and kindship). Sadly some embassies seem to be rather fond of declining lots of applications, being afraid of illegal immigration or other problems... most unfortunate and short sighted if you ask me.