khunpa

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why I do not worry too much about what Thailand has or has not become:

Don't own property. Don't own a house. Not married. No children for whom I am legally responsible. Don't own a business. Not employed. Don't go to a shared work space and say I'm not working. Don't live in a tourist area. Don't much hang out with persons who speak or speak only English. Don't own a car. Don't frequent bars at 2 AM. ...

same here, i can leave in 15 minutes, whenever, wherever and don't look back... existential autonomy.

• Like 1

Much better now. A few years ago some yahoos in yellow shirts closed the airport. I think the only people who have not seen positive differences between Thailand of a few years ago and now are those special interest groups who want to see Thailand fail. I would imagine they are funded by other countries who compete for tourism or foreign investment or some such stuff.

• Like 1

Thailand is becoming what it deep down has always been.

A pathetic attempt at sounding perceptive. Typical deadwood expat blather. Find a space and then create it in your own image- And then have the cojones to speak as though you actually have knowledge about Thailand.
  • Like 1

Much better now. A few years ago some yahoos in yellow shirts closed the airport. I think the only people who have not seen positive differences between Thailand of a few years ago and now are those special interest groups who want to see Thailand fail. I would imagine they are funded by other countries who compete for tourism or foreign investment or some such stuff.

U sober ?

• Like 2

Why I do not worry too much about what Thailand has or has not become:

Don't own property. Don't own a house. Not married. No children for whom I am legally responsible. Don't own a business. Not employed. Don't go to a shared work space and say I'm not working. Don't live in a tourist area. Don't much hang out with persons who speak or speak only English. Don't own a car. Don't frequent bars at 2 AM. ...

Keep your bag packed, Passport and plane ticket in your pocket, never leave the airport concourse, don't have a life. Yep I love Thailand!!!

I've been living in Thailand 10 years now for better or worse but I would say mostly better ... but now I get to read about all the people with great lives in Thailand in the 'Ask The Lawyer' Forum

Edited by JLCrab

It is just you. Remember Black May? Thailand was just as screwy and corrupt 20 years ago - there was coup after coup and Thai citizens were attacked by the government. However, I loved the place then and I love it now, even if there are plenty of bad apples. There always has been.

Agreed, I have been coming to Thailand for 27 years and live here now more than 10 years.

Yes, countries/peoples attitudes changes somewhat,

but the major change is the technology, news infra-structure.

All is almost immediately out there.

People hear and see more (daily) things happening and see how the (civilized) western world lives (and upper class Thais).

People get more envy and want the same lifestyle.

Honest jobs will not give that for most, so some use other methods, which we hear daily in the news.

I also think that in the more farang area's in Thailand, many Thais are envy and angry.

Daily they see farangs spend money in bars and such 3000-5000-10.000 baht in one day/evening, which is their monthly salary.

Thailand is not the same of course from 20 years ago, but not as the OP says, all is more in the open.

20 years ago there was no ThaiVisa to report daily news/events or internet (worth while)

Pattaya used to be what you say now it is crawling with poor white tourists that buy food and drink at 7/11. I think the Thais feel sorry for the poor drunk white folk who swim in such bad water and can only afford to eat and drink at convenience stores.

In Bangkok the Thais look at the families dressed in black robes and the other ones with the colored turbans and thank their lucky stars they are Thai.

U sober ?

If you disagree with me say why. If you want to flame me by implying I am drunk see the

Revised forum rules/guidelines for Thaivisa Forum

7) Respect fellow members by posting in a civil manner: do not launch personal attacks, or be hateful or insulting towards other members, ie No flaming.

9) Do not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

• Like 2

It is just you. Remember Black May? Thailand was just as screwy and corrupt 20 years ago - there was coup after coup and Thai citizens were attacked by the government. However, I loved the place then and I love it now, even if there are plenty of bad apples. There always has been.

+1

A pathetic attempt at sounding perceptive. Typical deadwood expat blather. Find a space and then create it in your own image- And then have the cojones to speak as though you actually have knowledge about Thailand.

Call me a cynic if you wish but the old 'Truism' "Nobody's perfect" hasn't changed anywhere I'm aware of... even in squeaky-clean Singapore.

However, a tough legal system that is backed up by tough actions (as in the case of Singapore) will scare/keep under control the bad of most people at least until they can realise for themselves that they also hurt themselves and those they care about when they do bad stuff.

There is always a need for good strong leadership but in this freedom of speech socially-networked world, seems Thailand hasn't found the right strong leader yet.... I live in hope!

Not many students get shot by the army these days, that's an improvement!

No, but more of them are shooting each other.

After Thanom was replaced by a civilian prime minister in October 1973, an army faction headed by Major-General Pramarn Adireksarn began plotting a return to military rule. Right-wing paramilitary groups were armed and trained and a crackdown on left-wing activists was prepared. The Communist takeover of Indochina in 1975 at the end of the Vietnam War convinced many that Thailand could be the next communist target and that the nation's unruly left-wing students were "aiding the enemy".

Although the students pleaded for a ceasefire, Chumphon, the police commander, authorized free fire on the campus. Students who tried to surrender were forced to lie on the ground. Several were beaten to death and then hanged. Those who attempted to escape by jumping into the Chaophraya River were shot at from naval vessels. Wimolwan, a nursing student, was shot dead while trying to swim to safety. The attack lasted for several hours. Time described the event as a "A nightmare of lynching and burning":

Female students allegedly were raped, alive and dead, by police and Red Gaurs. Officially, there were 46 dead and 167 wounded. The unofficial estimate of over 100 dead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thammasat_University_massacre