Microsoft reminder: No support for XP from April 8

webfact

Microsoft reminder: No support for XP from April 8
The Nation

30229948-01_big.gif

BANGKOK: -- Microsoft has reminded consumers that it will be ending its support for Windows XP operating system and Office 2003 on April 8.

This means that there are about 30 days to go before consumers actively using Windows XP PCs and Office 2003 will be left without security patches and customer support.

The company also launched two new free tools to help consumers to migrate from Windows XP and a detection software to help users find out what version of the operating system they are using.

There will also not be customer technical service assistance for Windows XP and Office 2003.

This means that individuals will no longer receive the updates that help protect their PCs from harmful viruses, spyware and other malicious software.

Many consumers may brush off these security threats, thinking that malicious software and hackers will never target them.

In reality, however, the personal information that we have amassed and shared throughout the years are valuable payloads for hackers.

In addition, Microsoft's latest security intelligence report found Windows XP SP3 to be 5.68 times more vulnerable than Windows 8 RTM and had a staggering 82.4 per cent higher malware infection rate.

The math is simple: the odds of getting compromised and losing valuable personal information on a Windows XP machine is far higher than on modern Windows 8 devices.

Retiring a product is a normal part of the product lifecycle. While most Microsoft software is supported for 10 years, Windows XP has been supported for more than 12 years.

To minimise this risk, consumers must upgrade to newer operating systems that offer enhanced security features like built-in firewall and anti-virus and rootkit malware protection.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-25

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"This means that individuals will no longer receive the updates that help protect their PCs from harmful viruses, spyware and other malicious software."

Don't think Thai people will bother.

Haven't seen one genuine copy of any Microsoft system used, XP or 7.

Even the computers are sold with counterfeit software.

• Like 1

It's kind of a shame that somebody with proven processes and a PC running XP happily doing exactly everything he needs for it to do, now must either spend and invest the time to upgrade & learn the (new) OS, and then the software (because the original working app software might not be compatible with the new OS...), and then perhaps the PC & hardware as well (because the old hardware can't support the new OS, no drivers for the new OS & old hardware, etc.), and end up just hoping to be able to do no more than he was able to do to begin with ...OR deal with mounting unpatched vulnerabilities going forward. The situation essentially puts Microsoft in the position of being able to actually take advantage of and profit from its own product's defects by forcing the consumer to update with no real value added, and presents an opportunity to bad guys. Where's the incentive to deliver a quality, bug-free OS in the first place?

I don't know if a whole lot of Windows users are really ready to make the jump to Linux, but MS is certainly giving them every possible incentive to do so!

• Like 1

This article reads suspiciously like a verbatim press release from the Microsoft P.R. Dept.

However, if one is still hanging on with XP, it would seem that you've more than got your moneys' worth from it. As for "support", MS has never been renowned for that.

I have a laptop running XP and the last "update" from MS was KB 2934207

which is the EOS nag screen that looks like this...

post-146250-0-85324300-1395730335_thumb.

You can delete the update by going to Control Panel,

Add Remove Programs, wait for everything to load and

then look for Windows XP Software Updates-Update

For Windows XP (KB 2934207)...then delete it.

This update installes this file on your PC...

xp_eos.exe

There are other ways to disable the pop up and here are some links

to that effect...

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-xp/wsus-and-configmgr-admins-windows-xp-can-rest-easy-march-death-threat

http://4sysops.com/archives/disable-windows-xp-end-of-support-notification-with-group-policy/

http://4sysops.com/archives/prevent-the-windows-xp-end-of-support-notification/

That is...if you still want to run XP as your OS....and I'm gonna keep mine on the laptop

currently running it. It's locked down pretty good. And as a previous poster said an anti

virus software isn't enough to stop the bad guys mucking about your PC....you need

other stuff. It's out there and easily found....have a look.

attachicon.gifnotification_64e154aa.jpg

xp_eos.exe

to that effect...

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-xp/wsus-and-configmgr-admins-windows-xp-can-rest-easy-march-death-threat

http://4sysops.com/archives/disable-windows-xp-end-of-support-notification-with-group-policy/

That is...if you still want to run XP as your OS....and I'm gonna keep mine on the laptop

currently running it. It's locked down pretty good. And as a previous poster said an anti

virus software isn't enough to stop the bad guys mucking about your PC....you need

I am no computer freak,its like a car to me,i turn the key and it starts. I have installed avira anti-virus and it seems to work welll (has put 4 mal ware viruses into quarantine within one month) why isn't an anti-virus program enough ?

xp_eos.exe

to that effect...

I am no computer freak,its like a car to me,i turn the key and it starts. I have installed avira anti-virus and it seems to work welll (has put 4 mal ware viruses into quarantine within one month) why isn't an anti-virus program enough ?

Because the rate at which viruses come out nowadays means that they can't keep up.

Try uploading a dodgy attachment to virustotal.com and see how many of them spot it.

xp_eos.exe

to that effect...

...because there are other forms of malware besides viruses. There are dangerous trojans, rootkits, keyloggers, spyware, adware, etc. to deal with as well. AV is just one layer of security. Some anti-virus and anti-malware products these days do try and do more than one thing, but I still would not bet the farm on just one security app. You at least need a good AV and/or a good anti-malware, a good anti-spyware, and a good firewall. Actually get infected with something, and some additional scanning & cleaning tools become relevant as well.

This is going to be PARTICULARLY true of XP now that the patching is going to stop. Reports are that a sizable percentage of the user population is sticking with it, and that's catnip to scummy hackers, who by some accounts have 8 APR conspicuously marked on their calendars. Open season. It might be OK for a machine that's going to remain air-gapped (not connected to the internet), but otherwise you definitely need to have your defenses in order. XP really was a relatively successful OS, but without active vulnerability patching, the picture starts to darken considerably. As time goes by, you're also going to start finding more & more new apps & peripherals that are no longer compatible with it as well.

Up to you though. I know it's hard to put away something that's been working well for you.

I have read somewhere that it will be a big problem for ATM machines because most of them still working on Windows XP that means that from April 8th the cash dispensers could be easily targeted from hackers

As if the ATMs are directly connected to the internet ... amazing the amount of nonsense you can read here.

• Like 1

Never updated my copy XP for the last at least 5 years,no problems,

the roof did not fall down, sometimes those updates can cause more

problems than they fix, the problem was they made XP too good, now

no one wants to upgrade unless forced to.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

I have read somewhere that it will be a big problem for ATM machines because most of them still working on Windows XP that means that from April 8th the cash dispensers could be easily targeted from hackers

As if the ATMs are directly connected to the internet ... amazing the amount of nonsense you can read here.

How is it i can connect to my German bank if the ATM is not on the net?

ATM are basically custom PC (with a printer, cash distribution, etc ...), and they usually are connected to a private and secured network from the banks.

They might be able to connect to external services, via a secured gateway, but are not directly connected to an external network, unlike a consummer PC.

xp_eos.exe

to that effect...

Because the rate at which viruses come out nowadays means that they can't keep up.

Try uploading a dodgy attachment to virustotal.com and see how many of them spot it.

A decent anti-virus product analyses the behaviour of files to determine whether they are malicious or not, it doesn't simply rely on a database of known viruses.

xp_eos.exe

to that effect...

A decent anti-virus product analyses the behaviour of files to determine whether they are malicious or not, it doesn't simply rely on a database of known viruses.

I wasn't offering a discussion - just try it. There is a pretty comprehensive list there and I think you'll be surprised.

There's not really any point me trying it because my software doesn't just rely on an antivirus scanner to identify dodgy attachments. Also, I probably wouldn't be able to download one in the first place. It would be more enlightening if you could point me to a file that VirusTotal doesn't spot so I can try to download it.

Yes, I know it does but it doesn't use any of the other components that are generally found in an Internet Security suite (or indeed many of the best standalone antivirus solutions). If you want to see how many samples would get past an on-demand scanner (or many in this case), I guess it's a useful exercise but I'd be more interested in knowing how effective antivirus software is in real world situations. Do you know of any files that it has failed to spot or haven't you used it?

soalbundy, on 25 Mar 2014 - 16:02, said:
singa-traz, on 25 Mar 2014 - 15:46, said:
johnnyloda, on 25 Mar 2014 - 15:41, said:

Oh boy, you do need a lesson, it is because when you connect to your bank, you are NOT connecting to an ATM....

"i hate microsoft, Bill Gates and Co can go _____ themselves. it often causes me more problems than it solves but i cant make the purchasing decisions for my employer..............."

"And the risk of American agencies breaking into your computer and doing unmentionable things increased with Win8 by 243,446%"

"This article reads suspiciously like a verbatim press release from the Microsoft P.R. Dept.

However, if one is still hanging on with XP, it would seem that you've more than got your moneys' worth from it. As for "support", MS has never been renowned for that."

So people who use pirate copies are bad?

coffee1.gif

I have no intention of upgrading my XP as this is typical MS scaremongering. All sorts of free (or cheap) software is available, most better than MS products. Firewalls, anti-virus, anti-malware, cookie & other crap removal - a quick Google search will provide you with so much information that you will have to choose. Various PC mags will provide reviews and recommendations. Plus the vast majority of it runs on XP because it is still so popular.

As for ATMs - they're not directly or indirectly connected to the internet, They are hooked up to your account on a mainframe computer via a leased line & front-end processor. The in-between local ATM pool computers and VISA/Mastercard lines are not via the internet either.

Again nothing but scaremongering to get people & companies to upgrade to an inferior system requiring more memory. Hence the WINTEL moniker.

Being their kicking XP to the curb,I went and bought A chromebook.I'm boycotting Microsoft.It wasn't fantastic anyway.Even with anti virus programs I would run into problems.I can't tell ya the amount of money that I have spent over the years getting it fixed.

I'm crossing my fingers with chromebook.I just found out can't download itunes.I don't know how I will sinc ipad,and phone.