Thailand becomes 'Sick Man of Southeast Asia'

webfact

How bloody sad is that story? Six months ago this country was the envy of most of the region and now? Yes I know the "man from Dubai" chanters will try and say the rice deal was the turning point but the simple fact is Thailand would have moved past that. What's destroying this country is the rogue Suthep, his puppetmasters (who all have their millions offshore anyway - this is about power not money) and those who are dim enough to support him. PDRC flagwavers can - each and every one - say proudly "I did my little bit to destroy Thailand".

Suthep?

What about the man in Dubai?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How bloody sad is that story? Six months ago this country was the envy of most of the region and now? Yes I know the "man from Dubai" chanters will try and say the rice deal was the turning point but the simple fact is Thailand would have moved past that. What's destroying this country is the rogue Suthep, his puppetmasters (who all have their millions offshore anyway - this is about power not money) and those who are dim enough to support him. PDRC flagwavers can - each and every one - say proudly "I did my little bit to destroy Thailand".

Suthep?

What about the man in Dubai?

Suthep did this not the guy in dubai. You need to get the facts straight.

'Thailand becomes 'Sick Man of Southeast Asia'

Look who the head nurse and head doctor are.whistling.gif

look who started the protest and then lied to the entire country and has killed 90 + people with his thugs.

They all wore red shirts and the year was 2010 and it was financed by your idol hiding in the desert.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Six months ago Thailand was the envy of most of the region? Seriously? I suppose if you are going to make the dubious claim that all of Thailand's problems are the fault of Suthep and his supporters, you would have to believe something that absurd.

Not to forget the surgion Chalerm.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I wouldn't put too much faith in 'Doctor' Chalerm. Even his policeman turned fugitive turned soldier turned policeman again son managed to find time to obtain a doctorate although like his old man the details are sketchy to say the least.

I can imagine Yingluck as matron though.

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

You cannot blame the head nurse and doctor for the illness. The patient has to take responsibility for his lifestyle as it facilitated the illness.

Unfortunately, taking personal responsibility for any problem in Thailand is not part of the culture.

Isn't his lifestyle a reflection of government--if the said government is totally corrupt the people become corrupted, (if they can do I follow attitude).

Over the past 32 years here I see the downward spiral and it is still on the DOWN.

Of course no one are to blame that's the in saying at the moment --a get out.

The people get the government they deserve.

We don't get the posters we deserve.giggle.gif

• Like 1

The next time you hear a Thai or any politician use the word "billion" in a casual manner, think about whether you want
'politicians' spending YOUR tax money.

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its press releases.

A.
A billion seconds ago it was 1959.
B.
A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.
C.
A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.
D.
A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.
E.
A billion Baht ago was only
27 hours and 12 minutes (at the rate the Thai government is spending it):
Building Permit Tax
Cigarette Tax

Corporation Tax
Income Tax
VAT
GST
Fishing Licence Tax
Food Licence Tax
Fuel LicenceTax
Petrol/Diesel Tax
Hunting Licence Tax
Luxury Tax
Property Tax
Service charge Taxes
Capital gains Tax
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Tax
Local Tax

Liquor Tax
Vehicle Licence
Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Workers Compensation Tax
Tea Money Tax

& NEXT IT WILL BE E-TAX!

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
Do everything in your power to kick these incompetents out in the 2014 General
Election - it could be your LAST CHANCE!!

Edited by Inepto Cracy
  • Like 1

You cannot blame the head nurse and doctor for the illness. The patient has to take responsibility for his lifestyle as it facilitated the illness.

Unfortunately, taking personal responsibility for any problem in Thailand is not part of the culture.

Isn't his lifestyle a reflection of government--if the said government is totally corrupt the people become corrupted, (if they can do I follow attitude).

Over the past 32 years here I see the downward spiral and it is still on the DOWN.

Of course no one are to blame that's the in saying at the moment --a get out.

YES.. it is 100% right

• Like 1

All sides of the fight are guilty, Reds, Dems, Military, Police etc. NONE of them has the least interest in Thailand as a nation, but rather "what's in it for them?". Corruption top to bottom, with delusional beliefs about own superiority. Pack of dogs fighting over bones, but beware the meat packing plants are moving to new sites with a touch of sanity and stability. And, as always, it is the common people who will suffer. So frustrating, just want to take all the greedy "leaders" and bang their heads together.

• Like 2

Thailand is going backward in all aspects of development and good governance, while other smaller countries are going forward at a much faster rate than Thailand will ever be, given the magnitude of internal problems Thai people have with each other and the overall outlook of governance and democracy in the country. Perhaps Karma is catching up to Thailand afterall.

This could be such a great country if there was good leadership and honest government. Sadly, this is Thailand's lost decade and the competitive gap widens as others countries gain ground and pull away. It truly is the sick man of Asia - the question is it terminal?

• Like 1

One can (and should) blame this or that party, but it all starts with the people I'm afraid. As funky as it can be when things gel, the mindset from top to bottom is FUBAR, now more so than ever. For it to stand a chance of being great, Prathet Thai needs a revolution/war/colonialism and three generations of thinking to draw out renowned people and garner some solid history.

Thailand will never move forward with threats of coups, riots and demonstrations every 18 months.

I don't know, just more of the same really. Seems to have done alright since absolute monarchy was abolished 80 years ago. With 18 coups and 17 different constitutions and 50 odd years of military dictatorships, all things considered it's done pretty well. Have to agree with you though, and with current leaders YS and AV in charge can not see any likelihood of a stable democracy any time soon. The next decade is going to be more than interesting. What Thailand needs now is another Pridi Banomyong.

I was just doing a financial work up on opening a processing facility for our Co in Cambodia, the shock caused me to look at Thailand again; to land and clear a 20 ft container at Sihanoukville costs $1,200.00 approx MORE, than to land & clear the same 20 ft container at Laem Chabang - the main Port between Bangkok & Pattaya.

The add on document costs are ludicrous $350.00 USD each box for Customs Clearance, the same $350.00 for Tax Evaluation at the same Customs House - a $15.00 Customs processing fee for each box, a surcharge of $300.00 for each box; it goes on & on.

I remain amazed at how focused some folks can get in times of opportunity !

Needless to say, my work in Cambodia is done - back to Thailand, and the deals being offered by the Thai Govt Investment Board are excellent - very professional response - Chalk & Cheese.

• Like 1

Thailand has long been this way, it has succeeded in some respects despite itself not because of itself.

The thing that has happened in the last few months has stripped away the thin veneer that portrays what Thailand would like people to see, and revealed what it actually is.

" it has succeeded in some respects despite itself not because of itself "

Anne Tyler wrote the novel in 1985 “ the Accidental Tourist ”

Thailand was kind of the " accidental host " because of its location as an airline hub and a stopping off point to go to the neighbouring countries............ but now you can go to many of these countries direct