Infection of the cuticle – hydrocortisone?

Pikiss

I had a bad infection along the edge of in my finger nail a month ago. It is a condition called Paronychia, a bacteria gets between nail fold/cuticle and nail plate. It was all my own doing, too much manicuring and messing with the cuticle : (

The doctor (at Bangkok Pattaya hospital) wanted to remove the whole nail but I felt it was a bit too drastic. He reluctantly then only drained the abscess and prescribed a heavy dose of antibiotics for 7 days. That seemed to do the trick and the infection toned down.

However, during the last week or so the the skin has started to get swollen again and the cuticle that once started to grow back is gone. I have soaked the finger in warm water once or twice a day, put some antibacterial cream Fucidin on it and tried to keep the finger dry.

I would like continue to try the home remedies still and am looking for a hydrocortisone (or chlorhexidine) cream, does anyone know is there such available in Thailand and under what brand names? I went to Boots and one other pharmacy but they didn’t have any, or maybe I wasn’t able to make myself clear what I was looking.

Also, some say that soaking in Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate) water helps to clear the bacteria, any available here? I am in Pattaya.

Sounds as if the Paronychia is re-forming !

DO NOT use hydrcortisone on this !

Safe "home remedies " are unlikely to help but you could try soaking the finger in a saturated solution of water + ordinary table salt.

Best just to seek medical advise.

I don't understand the "hydrocortisone or chlorhexidine" part of this. Perhaps a typo? Hydrocortisone is not an antiseptic and should never be used on an infection.

Topical solutions of chlorhexidine are available here, Chlorhex is one brandname. But maybe not at Boots, try a large pharmacy.

Personally I would do soaks in hot water with salt to reduce the swelling and then irrigate it with a 1:1 solution of betadine and hydrogen peroxide, this will foam up and help remove any debris/dead tissue as well as have a strong antibacterial action. Then cover with a sterile dressing.

I was mistaken about the hydrocortisone, apologies and thanks for warning not to use it. What I am looking for is a cream with bacitracin and/or neomycin which I believe is commonly used for preventing the infection settling in or at least slowing it down.

I will try soaking with hot salt water and irrigation with betadine and hydrogen peroxide mixture as Sheryl suggested.

Hot water and baking soda will do the trick.use the mix as hot as you can handle and dip your finger in it.

Twice a day for two days should do the trick.

I was given KMnO4

(don't know the English name for it) My doc told it is old fashion, makes the skin brown (so not suitable for Thais) but it works extremely well.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hot water and baking soda will do the trick.use the mix as hot as you can handle and dip your finger in it.

I was given KMnO4

(don't know the English name for it) My doc told it is old fashion, makes the skin brown (so not suitable for Thais) but it works extremely well.

KMnO4 is Potassium Permaganate. It is indeed "old fashioned" and, many would argue , ineffective.

Thai manicures/pedicures generally always insist on removing the cuticle. It's not a good idea. I got a rather serious foot problem (ingrown) directly due to Thai pedicures. Your thread is another warning to consider health more than cosmetics. Best of luck.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thai manicures/pedicures generally always insist on removing the cuticle. It's not a good idea. I got a rather serious foot problem (ingrown) directly due to Thai pedicures. Your thread is another warning to consider health more than cosmetics. Best of luck.

Toe nails should be cut "square" ie straight across not made as short as possible and rounded !

• Like 2

I was given KMnO4

KMnO4 is Potassium Permaganate. It is indeed "old fashioned" and, many would argue , ineffective.

In my case it worked well...it is oxidizing which surely kills and the residual keeps sitting on the skin makes it hard for the bacteria. But of course I have no idea how it works in compare to new things.....

I used Acrifalvine one time with excellent success....My pharmacist in Europe thought it is very funny, because it is only for animals in my country, but he thought it works well.....

Don't know if it is available in Thailand.