Thailand ranks 2nd in ASEAN for the best quality of life

webfact

Of course the Thai Bashers are out in force. So who is number 2 in ASEAN? Laos? Vietnam? Cambodia?

I have worked and travelled in all ASEAN countries except the Philippines but I would actually put Thailand as number one. Singapore is great if you can afford it, but sull as dishwater.

Well if you worked in ALL Asean countries, and mention the costs involved in affording to live in them, then that in itself demonstrates the high standard of living in Singapore... which is what the article is about. Anybody can afford to live in Thailand, but not necessarily in Malaysia, nor Vietnam for that matter. Based upon that, do you really think the standard of living in Thailand outweighs that of Malaysia and Vietnam? Singapore might be 'sull' in your opinion, but your interests don't reflect on the 'standard of living'... Thailand is nowhere near second, in reality, especially regarding the aspects considered - the government agenda to eradicate poverty and conflict! Again Malaysia and Vietnam beat Thailand hands down in that area!

You make some good points - I would like to see the voting critera before voicing an opion.

Sadly PNG is not part of ASEAN This guy is just an everyday person dressed up and off to the office.

May I humbly request you remove my image as my tool was not fully opertional and would not wish to disappoint wives or reveal that I'm able to drive myself.I always wear western attire to ballrooms ,with a may contain nuts disclaimer.

Thanking in Anticipation

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my fun places

1. bali (yes i know it's Indonesia)

2. thailand

3. vietnam

4. philippines (yes there ARE great parts - greenbelt, cebu etc.)

5. cambodia

6. singapore (if you can afford it and it's boring - if I had to live there they would have to pay me stacks and then I could 'escape' to bali/thailand etc. for some fun )

Edited by binjalin
  • Like 1

Of course the Thai Bashers are out in force. So who is number 2 in ASEAN? Laos? Vietnam? Cambodia?

I have worked and travelled in all ASEAN countries except the Philippines but I would actually put Thailand as number one. Singapore is great if you can afford it, but sull as dishwater.

Well if you worked in ALL Asean countries, and mention the costs involved in affording to live in them, then that in itself demonstrates the high standard of living in Singapore... which is what the article is about. Anybody can afford to live in Thailand, but not necessarily in Malaysia, nor Vietnam for that matter. Based upon that, do you really think the standard of living in Thailand outweighs that of Malaysia and Vietnam? Singapore might be 'sull' in your opinion, but your interests don't reflect on the 'standard of living'... Thailand is nowhere near second, in reality, especially regarding the aspects considered - the government agenda to eradicate poverty and conflict! Again Malaysia and Vietnam beat Thailand hands down in that area!

Silly United Nations Development Programme. They should have had you do the ranking.

Silly United Nations Development Programme. They should have had you do the ranking.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit :(

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit sad.png

But wit none the less. Or maybe your ratings of wit are as accurate as the UN's rating of ASEAN countries.

• Like 1

I guess UNDP does not smell the raw sewage odor everywhere in Thailand, the dirty tap water that is not suitable for drinking, the millions of wires dangling from every street corner, the political dilemmas that has plagued Thailand for the past decade, so obviously it has ranked Thailand as #2 for quality of life in ASEAN states. Another reason is because UNDP is located in Thailand, so it has to kiss ass a bit with Thailand, in order to be welcome and continue its so called human development in the Asia Pacific.

• Like 1

the truth is that its the Private sector that has made bangkok a modern city... (not the government).

If by modern city you mean an overcrowded concrete jungle consisting of long lines of slow moving traffic with a polluted atmosphere, danger of flooding, etc etc. YOU CAN KEEP IT.

A truly modern city would have NONE of those drawbacks. Don't know if one actually exists maybe others can offer up some for approval.

Thailand is actually quite good if you are a retired foreigner and as long as you avoid the noise/air pollution in Bangkok and Northern Thailand. Cheap, good internet, good medical facilities, decent food and weather.

Although I wouldn't want to be a Thai worker here though. Low pay, long hours, unsafe and unhealthy working/living environments. Its just downright nasty .

Top 3 from my point of view based on all the time spent on these countries:

1. Singapore

2. Malaysia

3. Indonesia

Brunei most likely belongs to top 3, but as I haven't spend any time there I can't say.

Thailand would be 5th as best.

Of course there's some rural areas in countries like Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia etc, and calculating some sort of average value for country as whole can be almost impossible.

When ASEAN becomes effective next year, quality of life for many Thai people will go down and quite fast.

I'd go along with this. Singapore is clearly much cleaner and better governed than Thailand but it's also much more expensive and boring.

I used to live in Brazil for a while and it has many similarities to Thailand Both have good weather most of the time, women in tiny skin hugging clothes, an unusual 'culture', nice beaches, and women who are hot but they also have massive corruption, too much crime, a huge gap between rich and poor, women with an obsession about their looks, garbage television, too many creepy crawlies and 'women' who are definitely 'not'.

But both are great places to live. If you just want to exist then there's always Switzerland and Singapore. thumbsup.gif

Edited by bigbamboo

OK, some of the points are valid, but I base my personal ranking on more than just clean streets and 8-Dollar Lattes. My very own personal ranking (no facts, just persoanl comfort):

1. Thailand

2. Cambodia

3. Myanmar

4. Laos

5. Vietnam

6. Singapore

7. Malaysia

Can't speak for the Philippines or Brunei.

Malaysia 7 out of 7 & Thailand 1 from 7: Right?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Nobody is bashing Thailand, simply expressing opinions!

I would rate Malaysia as second.

It amazes me how there are so many Thai bashers on every single thread in this forum. Some might be expressing their opinions but come on, it really gets tiring. I find it funny though how it's these same Thai bashers who CHOOSE to live here. Yes that's right these people CHOSE to pack up their lives and relocate here. Maybe it was because their own countries are so SH%t and maybe some other reason. But the fact remains, they CHOSE to live here because life was better. Now they constantly bash this country. It's the Thai bashers that will never be happy no matter where they live. &lt;deleted&gt;$ken whingers, that are so miserable in a country they CHOSE to be in. To those people give it a rest, we are tired of hearing from you. I wonder if there are forums where expats bash on your country once they decided to move there. If you are so unhappy with the way things are here, pack your stuff and book the next flight back home, easy.

• Like 2

Did anybody bother to read about the criteria for the ranking? This is UNHDP, not some silly expat or travel magazine. Quality of life doesn't mean access to cheap chardonnay, it means access to clean water, access to education... Still the #2 ranking surprised me.

For the parallel discussion, what inhuman beast calls "all men are created equal" "drivel", just because it was a concept of the American Revolution? How much more racist or sexist can you get?

These people can make up stories and numbers as much as they like and get away with them. I would challenge them to come 'oop north' in Thailand and visit numerous villages where extreme poverty exists, talk to the inhabitants and get a real picture of 'quality of life' in such places. It's very easy to get 'the facts' anywhere if you really mean to but of course it's always easier to scratch the surface and make up your own story.

the real value of bth would be about 45 50 bth with the choas and exports in all areas down 50% in 3yrs which other figures would be thrown from govt who is holding the bths down and why the taksin clan including ex wife which was only for legal reasons to still claim moneys in thailand to move out of country why is she taksin buying all land to to build major port in burma when he was in power he started a major project builbing a road from china through loas to thailand and through thailand to export chinas goods from bankok i saw the project then now was stopped or slowed taksin mob are planing to bring chinas exports down through burma to his port whith his corrupt mates in junta thailand no use to the mob no more why has taksins hellchoopter seen in chaing mai airport and other areas many times i dont think picking up cocanuts to take to burma why is yl in area many times why is in he in china many times last few years picking up noodles sorry thailand people robbed again cheers allan

As you mention it I think Dawei is central to what is happening now.

My view is that the proposed rail link is a pie in the sky smokescreen to enable the government to get it's hands on that mega loan it needs for the real target... the Dawei project. The Japanese have already said the proposed costs are way too high and with Thaksin reportedly heavily committed already and desperately needs funding to come from somewhere the plan was surely to abandon the HSR at some point and divert the money to where it was originally intended.

All conjecture of course but it would explain the impracticalities of the rail link and why so little real planning has gone into it. It was never intended to happen anyway.

Did anybody bother to read about the criteria for the ranking? This is UNHDP, not some silly expat or travel magazine. Quality of life doesn't mean access to cheap chardonnay, it means access to clean water, access to education... Still the #2 ranking surprised me.

For the parallel discussion, what inhuman beast calls "all men are created equal" "drivel", just because it was a concept of the American Revolution? How much more racist or sexist can you get?

The replies, by expats I assume, seem to place the ranking as a place for them to live.

Am I wrong in thinking that is comparing the quality of life for the native inhabitants with each other.

It is not about where I choose to live surely, but where people who were born and live in a country having a certain standard of living.

Apart from the recent turmoil, in a small part of Bangkok, Thai in my opinion have a fairly good life.

• Like 1

The replies, by expats I assume, seem to place the ranking as a place for them to live.

Am I wrong in thinking that is comparing the quality of life for the native inhabitants with each other.

It is not about where I choose to live surely, but where people who were born and live in a country having a certain standard of living.

Apart from the recent turmoil, in a small part of Bangkok, Thai in my opinion have a fairly good life.

Even Isaan village people ( my father and mother in law) have food every day, an insurance that covers all when they need to see a doctor, medicine,etc..

Compared with the States, where sick people can die in front of a hospital, if they don't have the right insurance, plus the climate, a much better place to live.

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 2

Makes you wonder why these same people choose Thailand to live if things are so bad here.

• Like 1

Alcohol already a big problem in Thailand and Cambodia. Thailand has traffic jams usually owing to volume but at least there is some discipline to the traffic: people generally obey traffic lights and show some respect for smaller vehicles and pedestrians whereas in Cambodia there is none of either. Smoke season bad in Thailand, especially Chiang Mai. But Phnom Penh in Cambodia is much worse for filthy streets, stench and dust all of which are present year round. Walking much more dangerous in Cambodia. It has to rank several notches below Thailand and I have many more things to support that opinion.

• Like 1