Laksi clash victim's family upset by NHRC's 'negligence'

webfact

Laksi Clash Victim's Family Upset By NHRC's 'Negligence'
By Khaosod English

13960019271396002117l.jpg

Rescue workers respond to Mr. Arkaew Saelew moments after he was shot, 1 February 2014

BANGKOK: -- Daughter of the elderly man paralysed by the pre-election violence last month has publicly called on the national human rights body to assist their family.

According to Ms. Euangfah Saelew, only one official from the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has visited her 71-years old father, Mr. Arkaew Saelew, in his hospital, and in that visit the official did not make any meaningful inquiry about the incident which left Mr. Arkaew paralysed.

The incident took place on 1 February at Laksi district in northern Bangkok, when armed militants allied to anti-government protesters exchanged gunfire with the outgunned pro-government demonstrators, a day before the general election.

After the official's visit, Ms. Euangfah said, no one from the NHRC ever contacted her. "It's so different to our rights agencies, who always visit us in groups," Ms. Euangfah complained.

She also contrasted the NHRC's attitude toward her father with the its enthusiasm in other cases related to anti-government protesters, such as the NHRC's recent announcement that they will investigate the claims that one of the alleged gunmen who participated in the gunbattle which wounded her father had been tortured by the police.

"I feel slighted to know that the NHRC pays more attention to the perpetrators than the victims," Ms. Euangfah told our correspondent, adding that she wants the NHRC to assist her family and investigate the attack on her father in the same enthusiastic manner.

"Please defend human dignity equally, instead of doing it for the sake of any particular side," Ms. Euangfah said.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1396001927&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-03-28

"It's so different to our rights agencies, who always visit us in groups," Ms. Euangfah complained."

Anyone who knows what those "our right agencies" are ?

She is probably referring to the AHCR, the Asian Human Rights Commission. They have a more "respectable" name in the Human Rights department in Thailand than the NHRC. The NHRC are perceived to be, how shall we say, "suggestable" a perception not helped after their controversial report "Descent into Chaos" was published. An insightful and intelligent critique of that report was written by Prach Panchakunathorn. An example:

The NHRC’s report never mentioned that most of the protesters killed during April and May 2013 were killed by a single shot in the head or at one of the crucial points on the upper body. Neither does the NHRC mention that nearly all of the protesters had no weapon in their hands when they died, and none were clad in military-style black clothes (contrary to the CRES’s claim that many of those killed were the militant “men in black”). http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2013/08/18/human-rights-the-law-and-violence-in-2010/
  • Like 2

Such a tragedy and I hope Mr. Arkaew Saelew makes a full recovery.

He could also rightly state that Wiwat Yodprasit may have been the savor that prevented more deaths at Laksi that fateful day the terrorist decided to attack innocent citizens. Without him it may have ended up as another Trat scenario…

So tragic.

Can you not make a simple post Jamie, without having a dig at the opposition ? You're an antagonist which is a big posh word for a troll, you know full well that people (such as myself) will reply, it's like a little game with you.

I hope this guy is taken care of, and that he eventually has a full recovery.

• Like 2

That man is lucky to be alive.

Thanks god.

Isn't that god bless enough already?

No that is not enough and you should know it. This man deserves justice and he is not getting it from the agency his family though was there to help them get it. I am appalled by your post.

"It's so different to our rights agencies, who always visit us in groups," Ms. Euangfah complained."

She is probably referring to the AHCR, the Asian Human Rights Commission. They have a more "respectable" name in the Human Rights department in Thailand than the NHRC. The NHRC are perceived to be, how shall we say, "suggestable" a perception not helped after their controversial report "Descent into Chaos" was published. An insightful and intelligent critique of that report was written by Prach Panchakunathorn. An example:

The NHRC’s report never mentioned that most of the protesters killed during April and May 2013 were killed by a single shot in the head or at one of the crucial points on the upper body. Neither does the NHRC mention that nearly all of the protesters had no weapon in their hands when they died, and none were clad in military-style black clothes (contrary to the CRES’s claim that many of those killed were the militant “men in black”). http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2013/08/18/human-rights-the-law-and-violence-in-2010/

april and may 2013. insightful and intelligent critique of what exactly? he can't get the simple facts straight, how did that get published without proof reading?

Maybe his family should also be talking to the armed people that he was with.

Sent from my phone...

Take that agenda just a little bit further and you are as good as saying he deserved to be paralysed because he happened to be in a pro government group that had armed people nearby. A sickening post.

• Like 1

april and may 2013. insightful and intelligent critique of what exactly? he can't get the simple facts straight, how did that get published without proof reading?

To be expected, a simple typo and the antis are all over it like a cheap suit. Why don't you make a comment on the content instead of cherrypicking on a typo, or is that too intelligent a task?

Sent from my phone...

Take that agenda just a little bit further and you are as good as saying he deserved to be paralysed because he happened to be in a pro government group that had armed people nearby. A sickening post.

You take it a little bit further and bring up that he deserved to be paralysed. Your's is the sickening post. bah.gif

Sent from my phone...

You take it a little bit further and bring up that he deserved to be paralysed. Your's is the sickening post. bah.gif

I wasn't the one implying it in my post - your faux sympathy and backpedalling is pointless now, your agenda is obvious, disregard the man and his injury as long as you can score some political points.........................why else would you try and link the victim with "the armed people he was with" - as if he even knew or was aware there were any gunmen within the pro government group.

I wasn't the one implying it in my post - your faux sympathy and backpedalling is pointless now, your agenda is obvious, disregard the man and his injury as long as you can score some political points.........................why else would you try and link the victim with "the armed people he was with" - as if he even knew or was aware there were any gunmen within the pro government group.

His family should also talk to the armed people that he was with. I have no idea, nor did I imply, if he knew that there were armed people in his group.

He was with armed people. They are as much at fault as the PDRC shooters. I laid no blame with him. There is no back pedaling.

You are the one making up stories about it being his fault because he was with armed people.

Personally I only read the request to investigate respectfully submitted by robert A. to the ICC.rolleyes.gif

Personally I only read the request to investigate respectfully submitted by robert A. to the ICC.rolleyes.gif

If only I could understand what you're on about - but I'm sure it has no relevance to the thread so don't bother to explain on my account.

To be expected, a simple typo and the antis are all over it like a cheap suit. Why don't you make a comment on the content instead of cherrypicking on a typo, or is that too intelligent a task?

comment on content:

Thanks for the clarification that 'our rights agencies' may be the "Asian Human Rights Commission". I think that may be a bit farfetched though. The 'our' suggests a Thai organisation. So, still not sure what 'our rights agencies' are.

Of course the reference to 2010 I will not comment on as that's totally off topic here. Plug your nonsense elsewhere, enough topics to do so.

If only I could understand what you're on about - but I'm sure it has no relevance to the thread so don't bother to explain on my account.

correct, just as unrelated as your quote on 2010.

comment on content:

Thanks for the clarification that 'our rights agencies' may be the "Asian Human Rights Commission". I think that may be a bit farfetched though. The 'our' suggests a Thai organisation. So, still not sure what 'our rights agencies' are.

Of course the reference to 2010 I will not comment on as that's totally off topic here. Plug your nonsense elsewhere, enough topics to do so.

You see that's your problem right there. Read something you don't agree and it's an immediate response - it's nonsense. If you had an open mind and read it you would see that there were some very good points made but hey that's your loss.

Just confirming what we already know. I personally think that it's very important that the agenda led NHRC report is shown up for it's shortcomings but to you, no, it doesn't conform with your firmly made up mind therefore it's nonsense.To be expected from a person who is adjusting painfully slowly to the realisation that the military might have been responsible for several deaths and still finds it in himself to try and defend the soldiers responsible for the deaths in the wat.

but thats off topic.

in response to your question, like your response to mine, I'm going to respond in condescendence and put a question mark at the end?

in response to your question, like your response to mine, I'm going to respond in condescendence and put a question mark at the end?

So, no comment on the post, only the poster - to be expected.coffee1.gif

You, my friend are a hypocrite.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/714117-1-killed-in-fight-between-rival-monk-food-sellers/?p=7612628

"This years "Tenuous Link of the Year" Award has an early contender for first place."

I have a lot more example too dickyknee that he has aimed at me, but I am not one to embarrass someone and will not fall to his lows. I just wanted to make my point.

mate, your boring. Can't you just answer the question? Why is such an insightful and intelligent article if they can't even get the simple facts correct?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

You, my friend are a hypocrite.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/714117-1-killed-in-fight-between-rival-monk-food-sellers/?p=7612628

"This years "Tenuous Link of the Year" Award has an early contender for first place."

I have a lot more example too dickyknee that he has aimed at me, but I am not one to embarrass someone and will not fall to his lows. I just wanted to make my point.

I'm sorry, but with that post of yours, you deserved nothing but.

Blaming the government for the death of one of two people fighting over who provides monk food - what do you expect?

That man is lucky to be alive.

Thanks god.

Isn't that god bless enough already?

? That elderly man is paralysed. Can hardly call that lucky. It may well be a fate worse than death.

I would rather not want God to bless me like that...