Wanna buy a house in Thailand with your Thai wife / GF? Think twice and DON'T DO IT.

gp2002

Geez glad you went. I know I've been dishing out lot of advice.Bit of a farang thing here. Thing is you seem to be looking for an iintelligent motivated woman. Big mistake. Its like replacing what we had in west with younger Thai version. I find the Thai chicks here like the go getter types become justway too hard. CControlling and basically bitches.

My chick is as clever as all hell. I admire her but more important funny as all truck.

Will adapt to any farang I'm around and most importantly....go along with the boat ride, not ark up and sounds crude, but do what she is told. Doesn't mean I don't treat her respect and be a gentleman with her. Just means I don't take her Thai gamesand money grabs etc. As iI say to her....don't complain no chain to your ankle here. She worries about future security so wants to marry. I say I tried that for 2 years. I'm not stupid.

I understand their need for security.

The first few times we went shopping, mostly for me, since I came with only a 3 day supply of clothes, she was looking at Louis Vuitton bags, and didnt even have a decent pair of walking shoes and sunglasses. After realizing I would buy her things she needed, but never a 20,000 baht bag, she stopped fighting that urge.

They have to go for it, while they have a live fish, I get that. She knew I had means, because my friends thai wife had visited my horse farm ten years ago, and knew it was worth a lot and I sold it, so, she had antennas, no matter how many times i professed to be an out of work musician, my favorite saying.

I hear you on the bitches, she suurely can be one, which I sometimes enjoy because they are cute, when non violent, but I know better for next time and you are right, I was trying to do a thai replacement, and I accomplished that. But, they are too expensive, sort of a bottomless pit of insecurity, and she was a model, I have seen her past work, and I see what is in my camera lens, you have to be taught how to take good pictures and she was, right down to the runway walk which turned a lot of heads inthe malls and streets, but I am over that, and would rather have a younger girl, who wants less. They are about thats for sure, and I dont look my age, and of course, guitar players always get a pass anyway

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Britman is so correct.

I just don't get it. WHY BUY PROPERTY. IN THE GF OR JOINT NAME . It doesn't make sense.

Oh beforall the happily married members jump on me.

Fact is if relationship isn't polluted by financial sticky tape it has a better chance. REN RENT RENT. If your with her for some years and split, do the right thing. Give her some cash.

On a financial advice level real estate here does not add up. Stick your money into other assets and rent. My super fund went up 18% last year. I kid you not. And that's tax free.

Why buy.

Why buy?

Many reasons,

First because your home is your castle, you do to it what ever you want and you make it yours,

can you do that with a rental?

You can personalize it, add to it or remove from it. can you do that with a rental?

and if the fancy hits, set it on fire and play the violin while you watch it burn, Can you do that with a rental.

You generate equate,

Pride of ownership

And if you really love your wife and children, , and care what happens to her, one day when you die,they are provided with a house to live in.

Geez you couldn't resist could you. Yes your one of those farang here with the new family and second or third chance after it went to rubbish in farang land. Fact is average age of expats living here on sustainable income I guess is 50 up. Most of us don't need or want the replacement family. Go live in the issan village. I wish you well. What is your barrow ain't mine. Got to go. Time to gave a shag.

There is no real economic justification at this time for buying property.

There is no legal basis for buying a property.

There is no need to slag someone off because they have, it's a choice..not always a good one but it's their choice.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are right, there is little economic justification to buy a house in Thailand, rents are cheap , and there are other benefited to renting. You dont like the area, get up and leave. I agree

But economics is not the only motivation in life.

There are other overriding and more important motivations. such as living your life with in the limited time you have here. and taking care of the ones you love

Now if all you love is your self, then by all means. go ahead, take care of number one.

But not all of as. feel that way, economics is not our only motivation.

I dont know, perhaps I am wrong, and if I am it will not be the first time. But I see things different,

I place greater value on the relationships I have with other people, than in economics.

And for some reason economics always seem to work out for me.

I dont know, perhaps I am from a different age, but if by a certain age, if one can afford to spend what in the west is the price of an average car, to take care of his wife, perhaps one needs to rethink his whole situation.

Perhaps one is not taking his marital status seriously, and one should not complain if his wife does not take him seriously also.

Honestly, I don't mean to be mean or holier than thou, But IMO if you want to be a man

Man-Up

I think,some people get so defensive, in an attempt not to get cheated, that they cut their nose to spite their face.

I say go for it, and if you do get cheated.. Oh well it's the price of doing business.

Big Deal a couple of million baht, The price of a car in the west.

Yes you talk like a real Thai girl.

" No big deal if you loose a couple of million baht"

And comment like his wife will not take him and his status seriously if not giving her a house

Yes sure ;)

I'm not doing a back flip but MOBILECONTENT I see your point. I think for you this makes perfect sense esp with young son involved.

I'm getting up in 50,s and like scarpola have two sons 23 and 26. I wouldn't dream of having a baby now. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Like most of us we tend to have the much younger gf. If I'm with the current one in say 5 years I would just buy her a condo. Fair deal and right thing to do.

so that's a little less than USD $30,000

is this the same as the states with assessment fees, condo dues and other unknown variables, ie., having to cough up a ton if the bldg is half empty and the fees are due?

it seems reasonable, and a good way for me to have something, and not have to bring suitcases back and forth, and of course, to live a more suitable, single life in thailand

assuming I wanted to return, which I havent decided yet,''

for now, I am in the best weather imaginable

That price was probably when he bought it a long time ago. Normally they cost a lot more today

Britman is so correct.

I just don't get it. WHY BUY PROPERTY. IN THE GF OR JOINT NAME . It doesn't make sense.

Oh beforall the happily married members jump on me.

Fact is if relationship isn't polluted by financial sticky tape it has a better chance. REN RENT RENT. If your with her for some years and split, do the right thing. Give her some cash.

On a financial advice level real estate here does not add up. Stick your money into other assets and rent. My super fund went up 18% last year. I kid you not. And that's tax free.

Why buy.

Why buy?

Many reasons,

First because your home is your castle, you do to it what ever you want and you make it yours,

can you do that with a rental?

You can personalize it, add to it or remove from it. can you do that with a rental?

and if the fancy hits, set it on fire and play the violin while you watch it burn, Can you do that with a rental.

You generate equate,

Pride of ownership

And if you really love your wife and children, , and care what happens to her, one day when you die,they are provided with a house to live in.

Geez you couldn't resist could you. Yes your one of those farang here with the new family and second or third chance after it went to rubbish in farang land. Fact is average age of expats living here on sustainable income I guess is 50 up. Most of us don't need or want the replacement family. Go live in the issan village. I wish you well. What is your barrow ain't mine. Got to go. Time to gave a shag.

There is no need to slag someone off because they have, it's a choice..not always a good one but it's their choice.

You are right, there is little economic justification to buy a house in Thailand, rents are cheap , and there are other benefited to renting. You dont like the area, get up and leave. I agree

There are other overriding and more important motivations. such as living your life with in the limited time you have here. and taking care of the ones you love

Now if all you love is your self, then by all means. go ahead, take care of number one.

I dont know, perhaps I am wrong, and if I am it will not be the first time. But I see things different,

I place greater value on the relationships I have with other people, than in economics.

I dont know, perhaps I am from a different age, but if by a certain age, if one can afford to spend what in the west is the price of an average car, to take care of his wife, perhaps one needs to rethink his whole situation.

Perhaps one is not taking his marital status seriously, and one should not complain if his wife does not take him seriously also.

Honestly, I don't mean to be mean or holier than thou, But IMO if you want to be a man

Man-Up

I think,some people get so defensive, in an attempt not to get cheated, that they cut their nose to spite their face.

I say go for it, and if you do get cheated.. Oh well it's the price of doing business.

And comment like his wife will not take him and his status seriously if not giving her a house

Yes sure wink.png

the problem with her logic is simple,.

a man buys a car in the west,

he still has the car 5-7 years later

• Like 1

cant understand this whiteness worship, nor do I want too

Drive yourself nuts trying to understand them. Long as you accept it, she stays undercover while you're baking, no problem.

Man-Up

Yes sure wink.png

the problem with her logic is simple,.

a man buys a car in the west,

he still has the car 5-7 years later

Are you guys on drugs?

How do I sound like a Thai girl?

I am a 56 year old man, with a wife, and children.

and why would you loose anything? make the right choices and you will loose nothing.

How is buying a car a better investment? a car depreciates from day one, and in a few years it will be worth nothing,

a home (for the most part) appreciate in value, and is usually a good hedge against inflation.

How strong is a marriage . where the most important ingredient , TRUST, is not there? IMO such marriage is destined to fail, or at the very least be dysfunctional.

A rental home where there is little invested is easy to walk away from, but the same applies to a marriage.

Yep I'm on your page. Problem is when you meet a Thai chick and after short time (not first night) ask her THE BOTTOM LINE...problem is they bullshat about it. Don't want to scare you off. Then as months roll on it often increases. Meaning support level to mother taking care of their youngster in Nissan or where ever. All we want up front in monthly cost. Digest that and make your call. They just won't it

She had a boyfriend from a rich family, who took pretty good careof her and her family, the whole nine yards, including helping her buy land, and then building the houses,

and he got caught cheating, lied about it, then started telling the truth, he couldnt stand the mother and their relentless assault on her finances,

he got the boot, and she kept it all,

so, tell me,

why would I expect to fare better?

I met the mother, she was cold as ice.

no thanks.

I dont know when I will return, but, it will be long after things have had time to settle and I am in no rush.

I had a long time to think about it, while I was there,

Her home was also too far away from the action. It sometimes took two hours to get anywhere in town.

I want the beach life, flip flops, clean ocean and girls in bikinis,

not girls trying to make their skin whiter

I am a sun worshipper,

cant understand this whiteness worship, nor do I want too

I find it pretty easy to understand most people most of the time. The white skin thing and avoiding the sun is easy to understand. Also easy to understand you being a sun worshiper.

Which makes more sense? I think avoiding the sun makes more rational sense. As a Caucasian you only need about a few minutes of full body sun exposure a day for your health. A lot more than that, you start to risk skin cancer and there aren't any health benefits.

But that is rational logic, logic seldom dictates human behavior.

Thai people associate darker skin with poor people. People of the black race are often thought of as poor. People who do manual labor and have to work outside all the time become very tanned. Isaan people are typically seen as having darker skin, being poor, farmers and not well educated. The color black is a negative color associate with food that rots and death. Being able to maintain white skin means you have the money to avoid the sun. In Thailand,white skin is more healthy and shows that you have status.

The sun is very direct and intense in Thailand, even for a sun worshiper being out in the sun a long time will be unpleasant.

In the USA, we don't get a lot of intense sun, having a nice tan is often associated with health and leisure.

Underlying behavior that appears illogical is some economic, perceptual or sexual drive. When you change cultures, your behavior then appears like nonsense to the natives and you think they are foolish.

Things like age, height, skin color, eye color, food tastes, clothing and many others all are subject to cultural expectations.

You can analyze why this happens, or just accept that your culture contains behaviors that only make sense within your own country and the same for the natives of other countries. Or one can never accept this and complain about it on forums. Plenty of forums in the USA complain many things that wouldn't make any sense to a Thai and would never apply to one living in Thailand.

The intelligent thing to do is to find a culture that best fits with your own physical, intellectually and emotional etc, etc being / needs. Where you were born isn't always the best or easiest choice.

Edited by johnbits
  • Like 2

How many times have we seen these posts on this forum? Why on earth would anybody come to a foreign country, where they have NO rights, meet a girl and buy a house in her name, knowing that they have NO legal claim on this house?

Because they are married, in love and trust their wives? just a wild guess. Really if you don't trust them then don't marry them in the first place. The OP moaning about a few hundred thousand baht sounds like he never trusted his wife, should not have married her and probably could not afford to be here anyway. If I broke up with my wife I would be quite happy for her to keep the house, life is too short for recriminations, regret and fighting over who has what. Of course if you get divorced a Thai court will usually split 50/50, so there's really no need to moan.

A lot of them are not married. Some of them even meet the girl a couple of months ago in a bar or massage place.

bullshat about it. Don't want to scare you off. Then as months roll on it often increases. Meaning support level to mother taking care of their youngster in Nissan or where ever. All we want up front in monthly cost. Digest that and make your call. They just won't it

Do you mean the kids already have a Nissan bought by a former sponsor? A truck most like eh ?

Edited by paz

Code for Issan my friend. Point is Thai chicks need to say up front something like. " jack I happy you live with me. You pay everything for us ...rent holiday etc. And I NEED 20K FOR MOTHER AND MY CHILD. Great then we know where we stand. Sit down with a latte and decide your fate.

I have been with my girlfriend for 4 years now. We are not married, no house, no car, no family support and no pressure.

I never understood the reason to do any of the above? I really do not get it!

Edited by khunpa

Code for Issan my friend. Point is Thai chicks need to say up front something like. " jack I happy you live with me. You pay everything for us ...rent holiday etc. And I NEED 20K FOR MOTHER AND MY CHILD. Great then we know where we stand. Sit down with a latte and decide your fate.

Oh! I wouldn't ever tought of that myself! Thanks for cracking the code and your two-lines milkey wisdom.

gp2000 count yourself lucky, only 3 years worth of payments, what $AU10,000 something like that, some guys pay cash up front.

You should have thought it out better, since when is a relationship iron clad strong and stable?

And men and women are the same the world over the fact there from here or there doesnt make them more of a conniving schemer, no one likes to "lose" money but did you lose your money? She had no rights to anything from her time in the relationship?

Any possessions bought or wealth gains after marrying a Thai can be contested and from what ive read here its normaly 50/50 so says the judge.....look into it my man, of course im sure the dept will be included.

gp2000 count yourself lucky, only 3 years worth of payments, what $AU10,000 something like that, some guys pay cash up front.

You should have thought it out better, since when is a relationship iron clad strong and stable?

And men and women are the same the world over the fact there from here or there doesnt make them more of a conniving schemer, no one likes to "lose" money but did you lose your money? She had no rights to anything from her time in the relationship?

Any possessions bought or wealth gains after marrying a Thai can be contested and from what ive read here its normaly 50/50 so says the judge.....look into it my man, of course im sure the dept will be included.

seems like it is a less painless divorce in thailand as opposed to the us, when the fight becomes the expense

I have been with my girlfriend for 4 years now. We are not married, no house, no car, no family support and no pressure.

I never understood the reason to do any of the above? I really do not get it!

4 years of marriage and zero mutual assets. Nothing wrong or right with this scenario if you are both "honestly" happy and secure with what the future will bring. Curious, have you sat down and had a real conversation with your GF about how life 15 years down the road might unfold when she is, guessing, middle aged and penniless?

As for understanding mutual assets attraction, not too difficult for most. Women here are really no different than they are in America or Timbuktu. What is different in your relationship is the distribution of "power". Power is extremely satisfying when "earned" and respected which I've have not always done.

The best of luck with your relationship and its financial simplicity.

Edited by atpeace