Wanna buy a house in Thailand with your Thai wife / GF? Think twice and DON'T DO IT.

gp2002

If there were protections of that enforceable magnitude in Thailand, then by all means, own real estate, in a trust, but never individually, period

Thai law doesn't recognize the concept of trusts.

Every Thai I've talked to about it is amazed anyone would do such a thing - how could you ever trust the lawyer?

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there were protections of that enforceable magnitude in Thailand, then by all means, own real estate, in a trust, but never individually, period

Thai law doesn't recognize the concept of trusts.

Every Thai I've talked to about it is amazed anyone would do such a thing - how could you ever trust the lawyer?

You do not need a lawyer,

just other family members to serve as trustees,

its simple, and plainless

Even more so.

I've got friends and friends of the family I'd trust at that level.

Certainly not any immediate family other than my kids who are too young.

Not so much they'd rip me off (but) more so they're total flakes, self-destructive and irresponsible with their own lives.

Like I said not do-able in LoS

Inthepink , please no one is having a crack at you. I see you interest at heart is your child and seriously I admire that. My point is this. And not to you in particular. I'm over blokes here with nothing trying to make a life for everyone. Here is my spin. Farang can come here do what you are doing but NEED Ikey difference. II'm not being smart ass but I can just buy the bloody thing and leave it for child/mother. But you talk about mortgage. Bad move brother. Also when your pushing up daisies who says your child will get a zac. Sounds like you ain't flash with cash. That's no sin. Here's what you do . RENT RENT RENT. cheaper and try and put money away for kid/mother.

Clearly you won't do this .

Back to the OP. NEVER BUY REAL ESTATE FOR YOR WIFE CHILD OR WHOEVER.

What is wrong with farang. Is it only stupid people that come and live in Thailand

I appreciate your advice but I won't do that because it's not necessary in my case. No I don't have the cash to buy a house outright, but I make a reasonable amount and so does my gf. I'm only doing what I would do at home really. I'm not a bloke with nothing trying to make a life for everyone, my gf was very comfortable before we met and would still be if I left. Now, I'm not trying to brag or say my gf is different, just stating the facts.

I do have some cash that I could have used toward the house instead of going for a 95% mortgage but I am using it for something else and it will make me much more than the cost of borrowing to buy a house.

Not sure what you mean by asking how I know my child will get anything - why wouldn't she?

Britman is so correct.

I just don't get it. WHY BUY PROPERTY. IN THE GF OR JOINT NAME . It doesn't make sense.

Oh beforall the happily married members jump on me.

Fact is if relationship isn't polluted by financial sticky tape it has a better chance. REN RENT RENT. If your with her for some years and split, do the right thing. Give her some cash.

On a financial advice level real estate here does not add up. Stick your money into other assets and rent. My super fund went up 18% last year. I kid you not. And that's tax free.

Why buy.

Why buy?

Many reasons,

First because your home is your castle, you do to it what ever you want and you make it yours,

can you do that with a rental?

You can personalize it, add to it or remove from it. can you do that with a rental?

and if the fancy hits, set it on fire and play the violin while you watch it burn, Can you do that with a rental.

You generate equate,

Pride of ownership

And if you really love your wife and children, , and care what happens to her, one day when you die,they are provided with a house to live in.

Geez you couldn't resist could you. Yes your one of those farang here with the new family and second or third chance after it went to rubbish in farang land. Fact is average age of expats living here on sustainable income I guess is 50 up. Most of us don't need or want the replacement family. Go live in the issan village. I wish you well. What is your barrow ain't mine. Got to go. Time to gave a shag.

The most baffling of all sights in bkk was watching men clearly in their 60's and 70's. some 40's, pushing strollers, with thai wife, ready to shop.

It nearly sent me directly to the vasectomy doctor

I was 43 when my daughter was born and I don't think there was anything funny about me visiting the mall with my gf and child. A more baffling sight to me is Westerners of any age walking hand in hand with some 'working girl' and acting like a loved-up couple when everybody else, especially the locals, can see straight through them. You take them to a room, pay them and say goodbye, you're not supposed to start dating them!

Edited by inthepink

supposed to schmosed to, up to you!

Sure, and it's up to others if they want to have children in their 40s, 50s, 60s or whatever. I was really making the point that Scarpolo's actions are equally baffling to many people.

Edited by inthepink

Inthepink , please no one is having a crack at you. I see you interest at heart is your child and seriously I admire that. My point is this. And not to you in particular. I'm over blokes here with nothing trying to make a life for everyone. Here is my spin. Farang can come here do what you are doing but NEED Ikey difference. II'm not being smart ass but I can just buy the bloody thing and leave it for child/mother. But you talk about mortgage. Bad move brother. Also when your pushing up daisies who says your child will get a zac. Sounds like you ain't flash with cash. That's no sin. Here's what you do . RENT RENT RENT. cheaper and try and put money away for kid/mother.

Clearly you won't do this .

Back to the OP. NEVER BUY REAL ESTATE FOR YOR WIFE CHILD OR WHOEVER.

What is wrong with farang. Is it only stupid people that come and live in Thailand

I appreciate your advice but I won't do that because it's not necessary in my case. No I don't have the cash to buy a house outright, but I make a reasonable amount and so does my gf. I'm only doing what I would do at home really. I'm not a bloke with nothing trying to make a life for everyone, my gf was very comfortable before we met and would still be if I left. Now, I'm not trying to brag or say my gf is different, just stating the facts.

I do have some cash that I could have used toward the house instead of going for a 95% mortgage but I am using it for something else and it will make me much more than the cost of borrowing to buy a house.

Not sure what you mean by asking how I know my child will get anything - why wouldn't she?

What you are doing is normal.

No need to defend it.

Every person wants to own a home.

You have a woman with a child,

dont mess it up,

she is yours to lose.

thats thainess

Geez you couldn't resist could you. Yes your one of those farang here with the new family and second or third chance after it went to rubbish in farang land. Fact is average age of expats living here on sustainable income I guess is 50 up. Most of us don't need or want the replacement family. Go live in the issan village. I wish you well. What is your barrow ain't mine. Got to go. Time to gave a shag.

The most baffling of all sights in bkk was watching men clearly in their 60's and 70's. some 40's, pushing strollers, with thai wife, ready to shop.

It nearly sent me directly to the vasectomy doctor

I was 43 when my daughter was born and I don't think there was anything funny about me visiting the mall with my gf and child. A more baffling sight to me is Westerners of any age walking hand in hand with some 'working girl' and acting like a loved-up couple when everybody else, especially the locals, can see straight through them. You take them to a room, pay them and say goodbye, you're not supposed to start dating them!

You are entitled to your opinion, and,

you are a man in his 40's with a young child.

I was already retired the first time at 40-41, and would NEVER consider another child, as I have two, 26 and 23, and I do not want to go backwards in time, and start the struggle all over again, when these are the GOLDEN YEARS.

I am 54. Having a child now, would be a disaster, for everyone,

and if I want to shop in the high end shops of bkk for a model to sleep with,

that is the smartest place to go.

isnt that why people rob banks? because the money is there?

geezus, must we connect all the dots for you?

when you are my age, you will have a preteen daughter,

good luck and best wishes,

you have my admiration, and you may be a better man than me,

but if this is your first family, then, we arent talking about the same sort of life here

Geez the gymnast thing got my attention. Does she live near PRA Rham Coow. . would love to do coffee.

ok, I will text her now, that, the guy who wanted to buy her dinner and wine, after learning of your amazingy petite figure now only wants to spend 140 baht, to see if you are real.

supposed to schmosed to, up to you!

Sure, and it's up to others if they want to have children in their 40s, 50s, 60s or whatever. I was really making the point that Scarpolo's actions are equally baffling to many people.

The only truly baffling thing about my experience, is that I didnt listen to my friend who moved to thailand 15 years ago, after I was divorced the first time, and he suggested I take a break and come to thailand.

I would be much richer, and less grey, due to the insanity of living with a brazilain model with french and egyptian heritage, whose body tasted like the salts of the earth, and whose moans caused tremors in my soul,

the soap star has beaten her, hands down, in every category, mostly, except, the cooking part.

I had to teach her how to make a good omelete, french toast. hamburgers with real beef (ground top sirloin) that they trim and grind on demand,

In exchance I had many helpings of pak ma ma and pad thai, and my favorite dish, served by me, upstairs

Edited by Scarpolo

I would buy a house in Thailand with my wife if we moved back there. I trust her. I would want to look at the economics of buying Vs renting. But I understand the rules in Thailand about this.

Really, in the end not that much different from the USA if there is a falling out. Divorce laws in the USA would give her at least 1/2, and maybe more if we had kids.

If either a man or woman picks a bad partner in a marriage, one or the other or both can get royally screwed.

Here we might both own it, but in a divorce she would get at least 1/2 if not more if kids were involved.

I would never buy with a GF, since the laws are so slanted. I wouldn't want to try and figure a way around this, I don't think real estate is a do or die investment, it can be tricky even if there weren't these laws about foreign ownership.

I get most people on this thread, they all make good points about how they want to live their life, it mostly makes sense for them. Some guys I meet in person when I hear their stories and look at their life, I don't get how stupid they could be. But women are sometimes just as stupid about men.

Britman is so correct.

I just don't get it. WHY BUY PROPERTY. IN THE GF OR JOINT NAME . It doesn't make sense.

Fact is if relationship isn't polluted by financial sticky tape it has a better chance. REN RENT RENT. If your with her for some years and split, do the right thing. Give her some cash.

On a financial advice level real estate here does not add up. Stick your money into other assets and rent. My super fund went up 18% last year. I kid you not. And that's tax free.

Why buy.

Why buy?

Many reasons,

First because your home is your castle, you do to it what ever you want and you make it yours,

You can personalize it, add to it or remove from it. can you do that with a rental?

and if the fancy hits, set it on fire and play the violin while you watch it burn, Can you do that with a rental.

You generate equate,

Pride of ownership

And if you really love your wife and children, , and care what happens to her, one day when you die,they are provided with a house to live in.

There is no real economic justification at this time for buying property.

There is no legal basis for buying a property.

There is no need to slag someone off because they have, it's a choice..not always a good one but it's their choice.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are right, there is little economic justification to buy a house in Thailand, rents are cheap , and there are other benefited to renting. You dont like the area, get up and leave. I agree

But economics is not the only motivation in life.

There are other overriding and more important motivations. such as living your life with in the limited time you have here. and taking care of the ones you love

Now if all you love is your self, then by all means. go ahead, take care of number one.

But not all of as. feel that way, economics is not our only motivation.

I dont know, perhaps I am wrong, and if I am it will not be the first time. But I see things different,

I place greater value on the relationships I have with other people, than in economics.

And for some reason economics always seem to work out for me.

I dont know, perhaps I am from a different age, but if by a certain age, if one can afford to spend what in the west is the price of an average car, to take care of his wife, perhaps one needs to rethink his whole situation.

Perhaps one is not taking his marital status seriously, and one should not complain if his wife does not take him seriously also.

Honestly, I don't mean to be mean or holier than thou, But IMO if you want to be a man

Man-Up

I think,some people get so defensive, in an attempt not to get cheated, that they cut their nose to spite their face.

I say go for it, and if you do get cheated.. Oh well it's the price of doing business.

Big Deal a couple of million baht, The price of a car in the west.

• Like 2

Some of us are living on a very low income by your standards, are no longer in career mode and can't afford to risk that much.

If you can and are willing to see it as a gift go for it.

It's those that can't and aren't, think they're making a smart "investment" that need warning off.

Britman is so correct.

Why buy.

Why buy?

Many reasons,

You generate equate,

Pride of ownership

There is no real economic justification at this time for buying property.

There is no legal basis for buying a property.

There is no need to slag someone off because they have, it's a choice..not always a good one but it's their choice.

You are right, there is little economic justification to buy a house in Thailand, rents are cheap , and there are other benefited to renting. You dont like the area, get up and leave. I agree

But economics is not the only motivation in life.

There are other overriding and more important motivations. such as living your life with in the limited time you have here. and taking care of the ones you love

Now if all you love is your self, then by all means. go ahead, take care of number one.

But not all of as. feel that way, economics is not our only motivation.

I dont know, perhaps I am wrong, and if I am it will not be the first time. But I see things different,

I place greater value on the relationships I have with other people, than in economics.

And for some reason economics always seem to work out for me.

I dont know, perhaps I am from a different age, but if by a certain age, if one can afford to spend what in the west is the price of an average car, to take care of his wife, perhaps one needs to rethink his whole situation.

Perhaps one is not taking his marital status seriously, and one should not complain if his wife does not take him seriously also.

Honestly, I don't mean to be mean or holier than thou, But IMO if you want to be a man

Man-Up

I think,some people get so defensive, in an attempt not to get cheated, that they cut their nose to spite their face.

I say go for it, and if you do get cheated.. Oh well it's the price of doing business.

Big Deal a couple of million baht, The price of a car in the west.

You are right, but it is ridiculous when guys go and buy g/f a house or even a wife they hardly know a house, a culture they hardly know, inlaws they hardly know, the language they hardly know, the extended family they hardly know etc..

There are so many reasons to protect yourself here..shit does hit the fan.,

I was here 10 years before I bought a house in Thailand..I bought in the uk first, where there is security, a legal base for ownership..that was to protect my then wife and daughter..you don't have to buy a house in Thailand to satisfy what you said above.

Taking marital life serious is about protecting all parties..it is not a one side argument..foreigners are too subservient here..I am so lucky to be here, my wife is different..blah blah blah..if you want to be a man, protect yourself and make her understand why!!after a long period give the wife the house...

Why do so many foreigners act differently here..

You wouldn't invest 40k sterling at home without some protection..

2 million is a lot of money to some, their money..

Btw, why can't the wife work to contribute to the house...

Btw, why can't the wife work to contribute to the house...

Who says the wife cant work?

My wife works, so do the wives of most of the couples I know.

You know what they say about idle hands being the devils work-shop. perhaps that's part of the problem.

Edited by sirineou

Before I build a house in a village I bought myself a small studio in Bangkok. Price was the same around 800k for the studio 32sqm2 against the house in the village 152sqm2. Studio is rented out for the past 4 years to a farang teacher.

For any newcomer to Thailand I would suggest to buy first a small studio in Bangkok, so you have something for the long-term. When my son gets older he can stay at the studio.

I personally like to stay in the village and I am aware that the house is in the name of my wife which is absolute fine with me.

At the moment my wife doesn't work but this will change soon as soon our boy is older.

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 2

I'm not doing a back flip but MOBILECONTENT I see your point. I think for you this makes perfect sense esp with young son involved.

I'm getting up in 50,s and like scarpola have two sons 23 and 26. I wouldn't dream of having a baby now. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Like most of us we tend to have the much younger gf. If I'm with the current one in say 5 years I would just buy her a condo. Fair deal and right thing to do.

• Like 1

I'm not doing a back flip but MOBILECONTENT I see your point. I think for you this makes perfect sense esp with young son involved.

I'm getting up in 50,s and like scarpola have two sons 23 and 26. I wouldn't dream of having a baby now. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Like most of us we tend to have the much younger gf. If I'm with the current one in say 5 years I would just buy her a condo. Fair deal and right thing to do.

so that's a little less than USD $30,000

is this the same as the states with assessment fees, condo dues and other unknown variables, ie., having to cough up a ton if the bldg is half empty and the fees are due?

it seems reasonable, and a good way for me to have something, and not have to bring suitcases back and forth, and of course, to live a more suitable, single life in thailand

assuming I wanted to return, which I havent decided yet,''

for now, I am in the best weather imaginable

Edited by Scarpolo

Rubbish scarpolo as if you won't be back. Florida weather is OK similar to some cities in Au. But I love the heat here and you won't be back for the weather old US winter. And you won't be back for the pad Thai. You will be back for the wonderful smiling companionship this place offers. When I goback to AU ,very rrarely I can't even look at the farang chicks.

Ummmm let me back up there , the Russian chicks at pattaya are hot as hell. Bad luck they talk.

• Like 1

Rubbish scarpolo as if you won't be back. Florida weather is OK similar to some cities in Au. But I love the heat here and you won't be back for the weather old US winter. And you won't be back for the pad Thai. You will be back for the wonderful smiling companionship this place offers. When I goback to AU ,very rrarely I can't even look at the farang chicks.

Ummmm let me back up there , the Russian chicks at pattaya are hot as hell. Bad luck they talk.

Its possibe, but right now the weather is mid 70's, and that is awesome,

there is no "winter" in south florida, it is always at least spring, and I am enjoying the fact that everyone speaks english and that I can ride my scooter without fear of being killed by a crazed tuk tuk, or bus driver, or motor bike taxi take my ears off, there is also no pollution here.

the companionship is yet to be explored, but, I wasnt living cheaply in thailand, so, it isnt a value play, for me

I also have to be with my musical friends, I cant accomplish anything in music in thailand.

it just isnt going to work for me

Edited by Scarpolo

Umm I do so miss the music sessions I used to go to in farang land. But that's about it. Yep Au has ripper beaches. Miss that. But I'm blinded but that DRUG otherwise know as the Thai squeeze.

Umm I do so miss the music sessions I used to go to in farang land. But that's about it. Yep Au has ripper beaches. Miss that. But I'm blinded but that DRUG otherwise know as the Thai squeeze.

Jack,

I feel ya on the thai squeeze,

It wasnt enough to keep me there,

maybe another girl could have held me back from leaving, but this one was too proud and steadfast in her way.

If she didnt have a mother and family in the north that bleeds her, I would have stayed and helped her, but, I would have to ignore everything I have read and been warned about, about getting involved with girls with families in need.

she told me one too many times that her mother comes first.

I explained, that was a deal killer and because I truly enjoyed her, and liked her quite a lot, rather than leave her for another, I just left

I am happy to be back here, and my expenses just dropped dramatically

It is not that expensive for me to live here, it was nearly double in thailand,

that is the exact opposite of everyone else's experience, so, I cut that off.

I learned, I amnot ready to live less than I live here

that is what I took from thailand

Edited by Scarpolo

Yep I'm on your page. Problem is when you meet a Thai chick and after short time (not first night) ask her THE BOTTOM LINE...problem is they bullshat about it. Don't want to scare you off. Then as months roll on it often increases. Meaning support level to mother taking care of their youngster in Nissan or where ever. All we want up front in monthly cost. Digest that and make your call. They just won't it

• Like 1

Yep I'm on your page. Problem is when you meet a Thai chick and after short time (not first night) ask her THE BOTTOM LINE...problem is they bullshat about it. Don't want to scare you off. Then as months roll on it often increases. Meaning support level to mother taking care of their youngster in Nissan or where ever. All we want up front in monthly cost. Digest that and make your call. They just won't it

She had a boyfriend from a rich family, who took pretty good careof her and her family, the whole nine yards, including helping her buy land, and then building the houses,

and he got caught cheating, lied about it, then started telling the truth, he couldnt stand the mother and their relentless assault on her finances,

he got the boot, and she kept it all,

so, tell me,

why would I expect to fare better?

I met the mother, she was cold as ice.

no thanks.

I dont know when I will return, but, it will be long after things have had time to settle and I am in no rush.

I had a long time to think about it, while I was there,

Her home was also too far away from the action. It sometimes took two hours to get anywhere in town.

I want the beach life, flip flops, clean ocean and girls in bikinis,

not girls trying to make their skin whiter

I am a sun worshipper,

cant understand this whiteness worship, nor do I want too

Umm just don't follow you. Yes you certainly did right thing in giving her the flick. Would only end in tears and lower bank balance. Don't get how Thai wants light skin bothers you. Just let em to their devices and you can sunbake on beach like the Russians. Only one thing (in my opinion) you need with a Thaigf. And tthat's live by motto "its my way or highway"

Umm just don't follow you. Yes you certainly did right thing in giving her the flick. Would only end in tears and lower bank balance. Don't get how Thai wants light skin bothers you. Just let em to their devices and you can sunbake on beach like the Russians. Only one thing (in my opinion) you need with a Thaigf. And tthat's live by motto "its my way or highway"

I took a different approach, because she is a very strong willed girl,

I probed, to see where she was flexible, and where she wasn't, to see if I could effect positiive change, and like most of them, the allegiance to the mother is too strong and grossly odd, as there is a grown brother living there with the mother, who earns decent money but doesnt pay a cent, had a kid with another woman, and a non working wife, also in the house the chick owns.

Too many leeches.

One day, the mother gave me the golden opportunity to give good cause to leave her, when she fedexed, power of attorney forms on the house the girl owns, but the mother lives in free. I told her, if she did that, she was showing me she had absolutely zero control over her finances, I would therefore NEVER get involved with her financially, in anything, and ultimately she will go back to whoring, just to feed her greedy mother. During that period, the brother called for more money because loan sharks were going to beat him down for 200 baht on top of the 1,000 she sent the week before, (she had an older brother murdered for the same reason, and then the mother told her to find a cell phone for her second husband, rather than buy it for him herself, or worse, rather than the guy buy it himself. The amount of tears that came from this girls face as she bawled, when I told her I wouldnt have anything to do with her while she remained her mothers slave, were genuine. The POA forms sat on the coffee table for 5 weeks, with the mother calling repeatedly for them, and not getting them, so, I saw a positive change; but while shopping, I noticed her glancing sat cheap cell phones, and realized, she is destined to go back to the bath tubs and I may as well just go whilst I knew she was 7-9days from her last period, and no way an egg dropped in there so fast, so I didnt get a call a few weeks or a month from now, telling me I am going to be a father.

Square business, I planned my departure on her cycle dates to be 100% sure, I didnt get that call.

Its a shame, she was good LTR material and had a great home, guard gate, swimming pool and a gym I never used.

But, I saw the last thai boyfriend lost the same battles, so why fight something so well defended.

I am sure I can find better, or easier, and I met several when she wasnt around, all in their 20's and all interested, but, it was time to go and I didnt want to burn the bridge, after all, the POA was still not signed when I left, and she confided that she was cutting the annual pilgrimage short, so they didnt get too far deeper into her savings.

She is hoping I come back before she runs out of money, but with 3 properties in the north which she can sell at high appreciation and one that is income producing but the mother keeps, I told her to sell them off, and protect her home in bkk.

She knows I made a financial decision to leave her,

maybe I had a positive affect on her way of thinking.

She has barely left her house since I left, and is clearly depressed.

Her mother is not getting back the same daughter she saw last time,

her eyes are now open,

but her legs wont be closed,

and thats too bad, for her

a snowballs chance in hell is how I feel about sending money to her, far too many horror stories there to ignore, and, she wouldnt ask anyway, she never has asked me for anything, and I only gave her money because I wanted to live with her and get out of the condo hotel I was in,

so, I am aware of what they do, when they find they have a fish, but I am already off her hook, and she knows, or thinks anyway, that I left her to come home to straighten things out that I left spinning here last year, but any further involvement with me, requires her to make certain moves financially,

since I dont really expect that, I am slowly weaning the time, until she goes back to work, and she goes to memory, all good ones.

Edited by Scarpolo

Geez glad you went. I know I've been dishing out lot of advice.Bit of a farang thing here. Thing is you seem to be looking for an iintelligent motivated woman. Big mistake. Its like replacing what we had in west with younger Thai version. I find the Thai chicks here like the go getter types become justway too hard. CControlling and basically bitches.

My chick is as clever as all hell. I admire her but more important funny as all truck.

Will adapt to any farang I'm around and most importantly....go along with the boat ride, not ark up and sounds crude, but do what she is told. Doesn't mean I don't treat her respect and be a gentleman with her. Just means I don't take her Thai gamesand money grabs etc. As iI say to her....don't complain no chain to your ankle here. She worries about future security so wants to marry. I say I tried that for 2 years. I'm not stupid.

• Like 1