AOT plans to create an Airport City

webfact

PNOHT570331001000301_31032014_032304.jpg

BANGKOK, 31 March 2014 (NNT)- Airports of Thailand PLC, (AOT) is following a development and management plan for its Thailand Airport City concept.

The airport’s director Mr. Mekin Petplai, said that Suvarnabhumi and Chek Lap KoK, Hong Kong’s international airport have some similarities in their features, which should be helpful, in developing the airport city.

The AOT is now urgently working on the development of Suvarnabhumi airport. The development project is expected to be completed in late 2016. With its completion, Bangkok airports will have the capacity to serve 100 million passengers a year, accessing both Don Meung and Suvarnabhumi International airports.

In its present phase, Suvarnabhumi Airport has the capacity to service 45 million passengers a year. The international airport will later have the capacity to handle 60 million passengers a year.

The Airport City development also includes the construction of the red and green line train facilities, and the construction of a sports complex.

The new project is expected to contribute to a transportation lifestyle in three ways: for general purposes, tourism purposes and business purposes.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-03-31 footer_n.gif

If they dont put an end to the problems here,they are never going to

get the numbers of visitors,they are hoping for.

regards worgeordie

Agree WG,ar kid. You can give them the ideas--they may take one but make it look like they thought of it, You cannot tell them what is best, they are not interested, otherwise Swampy would be fabulous--TAT would have half the staff and half the budget and come up with measures to beat the scams etc.

SWAMPY CITY--Landing at SWAMPY.laugh.png

How about creating a good airport first?

How about creating a single airport with safe, reliable runways first? giggle.gif

Oh! Sorry, they already have. Soi Sukhumvit. Even takes Ferrari's at top speed all the way to safety at the end!

Harkens back to Thaksin's grand plan:

Suvarnabhumi Province to be established within this year

Posted 2006-02-16

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/60484-suvarnabhumi-province-to-be-established-within-this-year/

Wonder if Airport City will similarly remain only on the planning charts 8 years from now (2022).

Nice pull from the archives.

One wonders if Suva will still be operational in 8 years, given it's current lack of safety and unsafe developments (from which all of the original investments (billions) were grafted away by yours truly TS), plus the coverage of Don Muang which can't take much more. Suva as an airport city is as likely as Man U. winning a single piece of a cut of a trophy or title this year (2557 or 2014)! 5555+.. As for Suva, one even wonders why they even built an airport so far out of the city, when there was so much land available to rape, take away from people, close down businesses on: simply costing a few hours of 'coppers'. Don Muang should have been the investment airport city 15 years ago... but somehow, somewhere, someday, we all knew who owned the land around not permitting expansion (c.f. Shiwanantra family member).... The show goes on!

Sure....the govt is in turmoil and can't even pay farmers overdue rice payments...where's the govt going to get the money for AOT's grand plan and the other grand plans the govt has like for high speed rail, flood management, etc. AOT can plan all day but plans usually just stay plans without money.

The airport’s director Mr. Mekin Petplai, said that Suvarnabhumi and Chek Lap KoK, Hong Kong’s international airport have some similarities in their features, which should be helpful, in developing the airport city.

Yes, they are both in Asia and have some planes. Thais can't even drive on the correct side of the road, but they are forever pompous comparing themselves to countries many decades or even hundreds of years advanced.

• Like 2

If in 2001 Thaksin didn't had won the election i guess Suvarnhabhumi would be today still under construction and not open.

Still is under construction, was from the first year, riddled with corrupt scams, cheap jack foundations to run/taxi ways, built for a 6 year life, instead of massive capacity from day 1.

Had the air force been moved Don Muang would have been Ideal. I still say move the air force to Korat. then Rangsit City/ DM.

Thaksins thinking was to gain out of the Swampy project, as with all his projects. NO NEED for SWAMPY. U Tapao Sattahip would have been used for all other/Pattaya/Eastern Seaboard customers, proved it, it services Russian charter for that area.

Too late now trillions spent for who's gain.??

Easy to spend money when it isn't YOURS, happening again now, history repeating it's self.

• Like 2

Posted 2006-02-16

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/60484-suvarnabhumi-province-to-be-established-within-this-year/

Wonder if Airport City will similarly remain only on the planning charts 8 years from now (2022).

I have written about this several times on TV, including recently, and it is good to see someone else remembers it as well. Other countries have done it. It makes sense. Still, it is one of the several things that turned people in Bkk against Thaksin. Sondi Lim wrote that this proposed city was going to be separate from Thailand and leased to Singapore. I never saw any proof of this, but it didn't help the idea's reception when it was announced that Thaksin and others would annex Samut Prakarn and Prawet and run it as a separate economic zone for 8 years without any elections. This was before the coup.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

So much pessimistic posts and doom and gloom outlooks. Not sure how one goes through the day with such negativity. Suvarnabhumi was one of the busiest airports in the world from the moment it opened its doors. I have been in and out of there more times than I can count and have no complaints but maybe that is because I view airports for what they are. Never have a problem getting to a plane or getting from a plane to ground transportation. Plenty to eat if I want a bite before boarding and I usually get there 40 minutes before boarding and make it through bag check, security and immigration and still have time to grab a coffee and snack.

I speak of it as I find it, and it is far from what you describe. You are overlooking so many things that have been documented from day one.

You are certainly a one off unbelievably satisfied customer but good for you, but we are not just talking about YOU.

Constructive criticism to you is doom and gloom.

Are you a large person ??? "Plenty to eat at the airport BEFORE boarding, through baggage and Immigration and still have time for another coffee and snack."

After take off you will be ready for some more food ----

Elderly do not find it friendly, with half mile treks, Immigration problems have plagued it, then tourist are cheated and scammed after arriving.

All I'm saying really is it is not the painted picture you portray. This mega expensive airport should have been better by miles than Singapore with massive capacity to spare for years..

• Like 1

So much pessimistic posts and doom and gloom outlooks. Not sure how one goes through the day with such negativity. Suvarnabhumi was one of the busiest airports in the world from the moment it opened its doors. I have been in and out of there more times than I can count and have no complaints but maybe that is because I view airports for what they are. Never have a problem getting to a plane or getting from a plane to ground transportation. Plenty to eat if I want a bite before boarding and I usually get there 40 minutes before boarding and make it through bag check, security and immigration and still have time to grab a coffee and snack.

I speak of it as I find it, and it is far from what you describe. You are overlooking so many things that have been documented from day one.

You are certainly a one off unbelievably satisfied customer but good for you, but we are not just talking about YOU.

Are you a large person ??? "Plenty to eat at the airport BEFORE boarding, through baggage and Immigration and still have time for another coffee and snack."

Elderly do not find it friendly, with half mile treks, Immigration problems have plagued it, then tourist are cheated and scammed after arriving.

All I'm saying really is it is not the painted picture you portray. This mega expensive airport should have been better by miles than Singapore with massive capacity to spare for years..

While it is your life to choose to view whatever you want negatively, please do not put things in quotes I did not say .., your credibility is now zero.

• Like 2

While it is your life to choose to view whatever you want negatively, please do not put things in quotes I did not say .., your credibility is now zero.

Did not mean to offend, did I hit a nerve. What you said was what I quoted I believe, look again. Turn nasty for what ??? 2 lots of food you mentioned not ME.

I put some actual truths in my post and evidently you disliked them. Get real man-re credibility zero, crazy remark.

Pity you couldn't lighten up -it's not as though you are the airport owner. The food remarks were not really intended to hurt--in fact I thought you would have replied with a funny -nice reply.

If you still take constructive criticism badly --then that's your problem.

Just to add I had far better memories of Thailand when DM was running years ago. In fact 32 years ago. I am a well seasoned traveler and know what an airport should be set out like.---enjoy your evening.

What you said was what I quoted I believe, look again.

Very telling that you deny misquoting me while it is in black and white above for everyone to see including you. Possibly you are so determined to believe what you want that reality doesn't come into play be it quoting others while altering their words or believing an airport is horrible that handles tens of millions of passengers timely, safely and effectively every year.

Don't have to agree with my opinions nor me with yours but at this moment debating with you is pointless because you have no credibility. Short of an acknowledgement of the facts, nothing left to speak about with you.

• Like 1

Airports an airport, nothing really impresses me about Suva but neither does it give me ulcers, its just another airport and like most I expect all the irritations they give. Other than that this one is no better or worse than most ive been through, as to the city idea ? seen it all before rinse and repeat nothing will come of it, as usual.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Arent they at capacity? SHouldn't they be buidling the next terminal and all that other gubbins first.

That would require more thinking ahead and real planning.

Posted 2006-02-16

I have written about this several times on TV, including recently, and it is good to see someone else remembers it as well. Other countries have done it. It makes sense. Still, it is one of the several things that turned people in Bkk against Thaksin. Sondi Lim wrote that this proposed city was going to be separate from Thailand and leased to Singapore. I never saw any proof of this, but it didn't help the idea's reception when it was announced that Thaksin and others would annex Samut Prakarn and Prawet and run it as a separate economic zone for 8 years without any elections. This was before the coup.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes, it was going to be his little fiefdom run outside of normal laws for the rest of the country. That and the money his speculator cronies would make from reselling their new land lots and monopolizing all the provincial businesses was going to be monumental.

That thread had a great photo that demonstrated those scenarios very well.

post-205596-0-20334800-1396303967_thumb.

The new airport city will be run the same.

Edited by Malone
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Arent they at capacity? SHouldn't they be buidling the next terminal and all that other gubbins first.'s why they're

That would require more thinking ahead and real planning.

The original master plan had the capacity of suvarnabhumi at 100 million passengers by 2012.

Unfortunately in the days just after the coup when the Generals were trying to foster the impression that anything Thaksin did was "bad" - AoT was told to freeze everything. They tried the 3 successive governments but met with stonewalling and delays until 2011 when the PTP transport minister signed off.

There were pluses and minuses in the delay - on the plus side - because of the extra 5 years of revenue it is now totally funded by AoT - no loans required.

On the minus - the airport is over capacity now.

That's why they're thinking further than the original master plan now and looking at the Airport City concept - funding it may require loans, but since Aot has now successfully internally funded (through savings and future revenue) the expansions and renewals at 7 airports in Thailand, their credit rating is near AAA+.

• Like 2