fedex now requires our genuine passports mailed to them?

canopy

I have read the archives but it is still unclear if this is legit or not, can anyone help? I have a package incoming to Phetchabun province from the US. Usually I prefer shipping via the postal service but in this case shipment contains li-ion batteries and USPS won't allow them anymore so reluctantly I used FedEx. FedEx says in order to clear customs I must send them my original passport (not photo copies) to the below address. They say it is to be compliant with a new policy. They will then return the passport by to me in northern Thailand. Can this be true?

แผนกลงทะเบียนระบบไร้เอกสาร (Paperless)

บริษัท เฟดเดอรัล เอ็กซ์เพรส (ประเทศไทย) จำกัด
777 อาคารคลังสินค้า BFS ห้อง F201 เขตปลอดอากร
ท่าอากาศยานสุวรรณภูมิ ม.7 ต. ราชาเทวะ
อ. บางพลี สมุทรปราการ 10540

Yes but I agree it's outrageous - have you called their CS? Start out by simply stating it's illegal for you to be without it and see how they respond.

Might be a better alternative than having to go there in person though. . .

A notarised signed copy is good enough for a myriad of other business deals, what makes Fedex so different?. Passports are the property of the issuing country and should never be handed over except to an official government department.

Too late now for you but USPS does not prohibit all Lion batteries. Those devices that have Lithium Ion batteries permanently installed can be shipped by USPS

The only time I have ever heard of the requirement for original passport is when you have a large shipment that goes through the customs warehouse and is handled directly by Royal Thai Customs, then they must have the original passport to clear the shipment.

FEDEX, hell no, that is why you are paying so much in shipping, so that they deal with Customs (not to mention that you end up paying a higher customs rate so that FEDEX can clear their entire container at one time)

Yes you can believe this but don't do it. Pathetic FedEx why they make fun of themselves again?

Your pass is not even your property why would you send it to anyone???

Is it a new low?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Shipment contains 2 replacement Makita batteries of a type not available in Thailand. I responded to the email requesting my passport being sent out which was unclearly written and it bounced. I called the phone number listed on the email every day (+ 662 131 9054) and waited as long as 10 minutes--it rings and rings but no one answers. Despite these red flags (and poor service by the way) I found a customer service number for fedex Thailand on their web site and they verbally confirmed this sort of requirement exists, but it is still hard to believe someone would make a law like this which forces one to do something illegal and dangerous to comply with it.

My past experience with FedEx suggests that even once the passport thing is resolved, however that is handled (and indeed, you should not part with your passport), they will still fail to get your shipment cleared.

Be prepared for months of fun and games (not). They will tell you a special electrical permit is needed from a special department. They will tell you you have to have a work permit. They will repeatedly lose your file. Etc etc etc.

My advice: give up and go to customs and clear it yourself. You are going to end up having to do that anyway, may as well be now before you have wracked up storage charges and endured months of aggravation.

• Like 2